- Our saving
- US $ 1,005
- Guaranteed departures
- Experience the beauty and multiculturalism of the Balkans
- Travel with local experts
- cozy towns
- Visit world heritage sites
- Rather Poor
- SCStephenWritten on September 2, 20184.5 - ExcellentThis was a brilliant tour that took in all of the Western Balkans. Every day was exciting. There were so many beautiful cities and towns that we stayed at or visited including Mostar, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Prizren, Berat, Ohrid and my favourite, Sarajevo. The accommodation was quite a lot better than I expected considering the price of the tour. Boris was an excellent coach driver and Rumi an outstanding tour guide. She was friendly and open and always helpful, but she could be firm with the hotel staff on issues that affected our stay such as breakfast times and check in times. I am exclusively a solo traveler so this tour was a new experience for me and far exceeded all my expectations. The Balkans are starting to draw attention as a travel destination and after this tour it is obvious why. Our tour was unbeatable value for money and delivered in spades on all counts. Thank you to Penguin Travel and staff for such a wonderful experience.Show detailed ratings
- DDebraHammenWritten on August 30, 20184.5 - ExcellentGreat trip with an opportunity to see everything we hoped and more. Great itinerary with very little down time (other than on the bus traveling). All the hotels were in great locations - with no more than a 10 minute walk to places for food and drink. All hotels were clean, have soap (some not shampoo) and good TV's , internet at most good speed.Show detailed ratings
- RTRICHARDWritten on August 27, 20184.5 - ExcellentThis was a quick overview of the Balkans, with stops in most countries for 2 days, sometimes in one location, sometimes in two locations. Rumi did a good job of handling logistics while Boris was a highly skilled bus driver. We had an additional guide-in-training for the run, Ivan, who was very helpful, especially, when I was sick with a stomach bug. The boutique hotels were often quite good, and varied in places from modern, to updated, but quaint, locations in some of the older towns. Other than Dubrovnik, the food was often very good, and inexpensive. Local guides did walking tours in many locations, giving a detailed flavor to each city or country that would not have been possible otherwise. It was a whirlwind, but we enjoyed it very much. Our tour-mates were almost entirely well-traveled individuals and couples. We would highly recommend this tour to people who are looking to explore a relatively untouristed area, to get a look at what countries or cities they may want to spend more time in later. We will be going back to some of our favorite locations.Show detailed ratings
- JHJosephWritten on August 27, 20184.5 - Excellentvery good tour of the balkansShow detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on August 15, 20184.5 - Excellentgreat group,great guideShow detailed ratings
- AGAnneWritten on August 7, 20185.0 - Excellentour guide was the best and a very good group to travel withShow detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on July 15, 20183.5 - GoodI'm glad I went to the Balkans with a tour instead of doing it solo, I would have been lost without someone guiding me. It was difficult finding dishes that didn't have meat. Not a vegetarian or vegan friendly trip. But overall I'd recommend this tour!Show detailed ratings
- SsteveAndmarciaWritten on July 8, 20184.5 - ExcellentAs in previous reviews this is an excellent survey tour of the lower half of Eastern Europe. The guide and driver were excellent. The bus, 15 passenger van, was comfortable with a group of 12. Accomodations ranged from average to excellent. Meals, breakfasts, were satisfactory. Most stops were provided with local tour guides who narrated walking tours with cultural and historical highlights. This is a good introduction into an area of Europe less well known. A suggestion would be to have more 2 overnight stops to enable better exploration of the cities. I recommend this tour if this is what you are interested in.Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on June 12, 20184.5 - ExcellentGood and helpful guide and an excelent driverShow detailed ratings
- M'michaelWritten on June 6, 20184.0 - GoodA very quick snapshot of many countries, nothing to in-depth. A few more night stops in some of the countries would have made it better in my opinion. I would have even been willing to pay a bit more for that chance. As for the price of this trip, it was very economical for what we got. The accommodation was well located in the center of cities. Just be prepared for lugging your bags upstairs (no elevators/lifts in some). Plus a few of the hotels were far from where the bus dropped us off.(2-3 minute walk) The morning meals were good and plenty, with both hot and cold food options. The city tours were informative. Although, some complained they were a bit long. The average walking time was 2 hours (summer months can be hot). Changing money was no problem (bring both cash and debit cards as some places are better than others. although, we had no problems with either). Very safe countries. Never felt unsafe at any time.This is a great part of the world to visit and now is the time to go. So if you want just a small glimpse into this area of the world for an economical price, then this is a good trip and penguin is a good operator. If you want something more in-depth or more adventure oriented then this trip is NOT for you.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1. Sofia
- Day 2. Sofia – Kruševac – Studenica (Serbia)
- Day 3. Studenica – Visegrad – Sarajevo (Serbia/Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 4. Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 5. Sarajevo – Mostar – Trebinje – Dubrovnuk (Bosnia and Herzegovina/Croatia)
- Day 6. Dubrovnik (Croatia)
- Day 7. Dubrovnik – Herzeg Novi – Kotor (Croatia/Montenegro)
- Day 8. Kotor – Cetinje – Pec (Montenegro/Kosovo)
- Day 9. Pec – Prizren (Kosovo)
- Day 10. Prizren – Tirana (Kosovo/Albania)
- Day 11. Tirana – Berat (Albania)
- Day 12. Berat – Ohrid (Albania/Macedonia)
Day 13. Ohrid – Sofia (Macedonia/Bulgaria).
- Day 14. Departure
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Can you assist with booking additional accommodation?
Of course, we can! Once you have a confirmed booking on this tour, we can request additional accommodation for you with the tour operator.
Do you arrange airport transfers?
Private airport transfers to/from your scheduled hotel are included in tour price on the arrival and departure days, no matter the time of arrival at Sofia Airport. If you arrive or depart outside of the tour itinerary transfers are able to be arranged for an additional cost.
Are entrance fees included in the tour price?
Entrance fees are payable on arrival as Penguin Travel likes to give you the flexibility to choose the places you wish to visit on the tour.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Shereen22nd June 2018
- SaturdayOct 6, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayOct 19, 2018to Sofia0 seats left$42USD $1,005+ $118 Local paymentSold outSee similar tours on this date
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroMontenegro and Kosovo
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Bulgaria and Bosnia. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Croatia and Albania. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Recommended for Albania. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Albania. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Start and end in Sofia.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Penguin Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 25 November 2018 the full payment of $1,005 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1005 for Balkan Kaleidoscope, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Penguin Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Penguin Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 243 km
- Kragujevac (Serbia)
- 133 km
- Visegrad (Bosnia)
- 84 km
- Sarajevo (Bosnia)
- 68 km
- Mostar (Bosnia)
- 82 km
- Trebinje (Bosnia)
- 21 km
- Dubrovnik (Croatia)
- 42 km
- Herceg Novi (Montenegro)
- 16 km
- Perast (Montenegro)
- 9 km
- Kotor (Montenegro)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,005 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,860 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Balkan Kaleidoscope via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 43 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Balkan Kaleidoscope