- Our saving
- US $ 1,008
- Guaranteed departures
- Experience the beauty and multiculturalism of the Balkans
- Travel with local experts
- cozy towns
- Visit world heritage sites
- Age range
- 10 to 80 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Rather Poor
- BCBarrieWritten on April 7, 20185.0 - ExcellentFor me this tour was just about perfect. Everything went like clockwork - each place we visited was either fascinating or beautiful (usually both), and our tour leader was dedicated, knowledgeable and very good company.Show detailed ratings
- NorhayatiWritten on October 28, 20174.5 - ExcellentEnjoyed the entire trip. Excellent driver Rosen. Our guide Anton was alright. He helped our travel mates who lost the luggage and manage to have it delivered in Dubrovnik. He also helped to arrange another to go see a doctor in Kosovo for Bad rash. The places we visited were beautiful. Met wonderful people in my group. My favourites are Sarajevo, Kosovo and Tirana exceeded my expectation. Balkan kaleidoscope is a must for you! Good stuff for the price I pay for. Thank you for making mine a memorable and enjoyable one.Show detailed ratings
- JULIEWritten on October 28, 20173.5 - GoodWe completed our Balkan kaleidoscope tour just today. Our experience reflected the itinerary. Needless to say, there are two or three very long days on the bus, with the last day simply being a return to the starting point in Sofia. Stops in Sarajevo, Kotor, and Ohrid were our favorites. Accommodations were good, but lots of hotels have no elevator, which was fine with us. We had lots of free time to explore on our own. I guess my only real criticism comes as a result of comparing Penguin Tours/Tour Radar with Trafalgar and OAT tours that I’ve been on. In these past tours, the tour guides spoke at length each and every day about what we would see that day, including history, local customs, little fun facts that we found interesting. This was not the case on this tour. Our “guide” did perform the clerical work (was the liaison with customs officials, arranged a few lunch reservations, told us when we would stop for breaks and lunch, and when we would begin the next day’s bus ride), but I guess I was expecting more facts as we rode. Another interesting datapoint: in the email I just received from Tour Radar asking us to complete an evaluation, they specifically used the term, “Tour guide.” Penguin Tours, however, prefers the term “tour leader,” who I guess is not expected to act in the capacity of a full-fledged guide. Additionally, our leader’s self-imposed dress code (sloppy and very casual) and personal hygiene (shower, please) were less than acceptable. Our bus driver, who did very well getting us everywhere safely, dressed professionally (shirt and tie). Bottom line: for the price, we got our money’s worth.Show detailed ratings
- RYRachelWritten on October 17, 20174.0 - GoodThis trip is good value for money and a fantastic way to see the beautiful landscapes of the Balkans while learning the history, both ancient and recent, of this fascinating part of Eastern Europe. If you're happy to have basic but not luxurious accommodation (I was) and don't mind carrying your own luggage at times (I don't) and want a taste of eight different countries in two weeks then this tour is for you. There are about three days overall of longish bus travel (6 or more hours) but most days were much less than that with a pre-organised tour at all major stop offs and free time afterwards to explore for yourself. If you like physical activity (I do) then there's not much scheduled (although a few of the tour options had some moderate inclines) but there are plenty of scenic places to walk and hills to climb in your own time. Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Lake Ohrid (Macedonia) also offer beautiful swimming opportunities. Food was perfectly good for my taste but I'm happy with most things. Guide Atanas and assistant guide Pavo were helpful and friendly with good organisation and great English. Only downside is that there are a couple of places (e.g. Dubrovnik, Montenegro) where it would have been nice to spend longer just to take in the beauty and chill-out for a while but that's the price you pay for getting to so many countries in a short time frame. A more detailed written daily schedule would have been useful too. Overall thought this is a really great trip that I would recommend.Show detailed ratings
- GHGerhardWritten on October 7, 20174.0 - GoodTour leader Atanas Dochev was excellent, very helpful Guide trainee Pavel: very helpful Driver: without complaint Transport: I assume that the bus is a second hand one from Germany or Austria, bus generally fair Program: very good, except Mokra Gora (tourist trap only) Accommodations: most hotels are unsuitable for international guests (no lift, no possibility to park the bus in front of the hotel, rooms are partly very poor)Show detailed ratings
- MKMohamedWritten on October 6, 20173.0 - AverageMost of the hotels r bad, hotel locations r horrible,walking to most hotels r very hard, most hotels have no shampoo or body wash.Show detailed ratings
- MMareeWritten on September 28, 20174.5 - ExcellentWow, what a tour. Eight countries in 14 days (an itinerary I couldn't get through without this tour) - 19 travellers, a guide, an offsider and a driver. Thankyou so much to all involved as I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Accommodations were fine, not without the odd hiccup but its all part of the journey. The bus was comfortable, the driving was excellent and what our great guide Ivan didn't know could be easily found online or in a book. For me it was about being there and this tour ticked the boxes. Thanks again.Show detailed ratings
- JRJohnWritten on September 25, 20173.5 - GoodThe guide was a back room clerk of Penguin who missed important details occasionally. Restaurants and hotels were fine EXCEPT Priszen Hotel, next to the mosque at 4 AM,, and breakfast was minimal also there (others excellent)Show detailed ratings
- ZHZahraWritten on September 23, 20174.0 - GoodIt was a wonderful trip.our leader Ivan although the first hours was silent but then he got familiar with all and managed everything on time.all suggestion by him we're accepted by the travelers because he seemed so honest and sweet. I travel a lot but I had never thought atrip to Balkans can be so interesting..we had almost wrong or incorrect in this tour we learned a lot about history and geography. .. All hotels were really nice except in Student monastry, of course not unbearable. All local guides very patient and knowledegeble..Show detailed ratings
- AnnieWritten on September 22, 20174.5 - ExcellentA great tour-value for money, great itinerary, very good guide and excellent driverShow detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1. Sofia
- Day 2. Sofia – Kruševac – Studenica (Serbia)
- Day 3. Studenica – Visegrad – Sarajevo (Serbia/Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 4. Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 5. Sarajevo – Mostar – Trebinje – Dubrovnuk (Bosnia and Herzegovina/Croatia)
- Day 6. Dubrovnik (Croatia)
- Day 7. Dubrovnik – Herzeg Novi – Kotor (Croatia/Montenegro)
- Day 8. Kotor – Cetinje – Pec (Montenegro/Kosovo)
- Day 9. Pec – Prizren (Kosovo)
- Day 10. Prizren – Tirana (Kosovo/Albania)
- Day 11. Tirana – Berat (Albania)
- Day 12. Berat – Ohrid (Albania/Macedonia)
Day 13. Ohrid – Sofia (Macedonia/Bulgaria).
- Day 14. Departure
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 20, 2018
Can you assist with booking additional accommodation?
Of course, we can! Once you have a confirmed booking on this tour, we can request additional accommodation for you with the tour operator.
- May 1, 2017
Do you arrange airport transfers?
Private airport transfers to/from your scheduled hotel are included in tour price on the arrival and departure days, no matter the time of arrival at Sofia Airport. If you arrive or depart outside of the tour itinerary transfers are able to be arranged for an additional cost.
- May 1, 2017
Are entrance fees included in the tour price?
Entrance fees are payable on arrival as Penguin Travel likes to give you the flexibility to choose the places you wish to visit on the tour.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Wendy29th January 2018
- SaturdayJun 16, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayJun 29, 2018to Sofia6 seats left$42USD $1,008+ $118 Local payment
- SaturdayJul 14, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayJul 27, 2018to Sofia0 seats left$47USD $1,121+ $118 Local paymentSold outSee similar tours on this date
- SaturdayAug 11, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayAug 24, 2018to SofiaOnly 3 seats left$47USD $1,121+ $118 Local payment
- SaturdaySep 8, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridaySep 21, 2018to Sofia0 seats left$47USD $1,121+ $118 Local paymentSold outSee similar tours on this date
- SaturdaySep 22, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayOct 5, 2018to Sofia9 seats left$47USD $1,121+ $118 Local Payment
- SaturdayOct 6, 2018from Sofia14 DaysFridayOct 19, 2018to Sofia6 seats left$42USD $1,008+ $118 Local payment
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroMontenegro and Kosovo
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Bulgaria and Bosnia. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Croatia and Albania. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Recommended for Albania. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Albania. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Start and end in Sofia.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Penguin Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 21 July 2018 the full payment of $1,008 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1008 for Balkan Kaleidoscope, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Penguin Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Penguin Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 243 km
- Kragujevac (Serbia)
- 133 km
- Visegrad (Bosnia)
- 84 km
- Sarajevo (Bosnia)
- 68 km
- Mostar (Bosnia)
- 82 km
- Trebinje (Bosnia)
- 21 km
- Dubrovnik (Croatia)
- 42 km
- Herceg Novi (Montenegro)
- 16 km
- Perast (Montenegro)
- 9 km
- Kotor (Montenegro)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,008 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,958 tours in Europe
- covered by 208 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Balkan Kaleidoscope via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 33 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Balkan Kaleidoscope