Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu
- Our saving
- US $ 1,104
- +5 Destinations
- Andes Mountains
- Walk the Salkantay Trek
- Hike through mountains and rainforests
- Traverse mountain paths up to 3,900m
- Explore over 15 different ecosystems
- Age range
- 5 to 70 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Rather Poor
- MMelWritten on January 2, 20185.0 - ExcellentWeve just returned from Peru having booked with Inkayni Peru tours through Tour radar. It has been just an amazing experience. I can’t recommend them enough. Only myself and my partner had booked as it was low season, and our trip still went ahead for just the two of us. After we arrived from the uk via Columbia's Bogata airport, we had a 2 day guided tour of the Cusco area arranged by Inkayni as a surprise, we toured Cuscos's museums, and the surrounding attractions like the salt mines, and we especially loved visiting the local Peruvian women hand making textiles. We then started our five day hike on the Salkantay pass, which is a long drive to the start, we then travelled with four pack horses, our fab guide Herlin, horse man Victor, and chef Justin. The Salkantay pass itself on day two was a challenge, not in terms of fitness, but the lack of oxygen due to its height, but we were supported and encouraged the whole way by Herlin, as the horses, Justin and Victor went ahead to set up lunch, then passed us again after a hearty cooked dinner, to set up our evening camp. The rest of the tour is through beautiful mountains with different scenery and Eco systems, the wildlife is truly amazing, we saw hummingbirds, Viscacha, llamas, deer, several bird species, including the famous Condor, Hawks and parakeets, and a vast array of butterfly's. You can collect drinks and snacks on the way, in small track side stalls set up by the locals, there are also some toilets en route, and you can shower on every day except one, so it was more user friendly than other reviews had led me to believe. The lack of toilet roll isn't the issue everyone else seems to find, just keep plenty of packets of tissues in your pockets, and you'll be fine. We camped in tents under shelters provided by local peruvian farmers, so that was a really big bonus, but apparently can't always be relied on in their dry season, but then there's less rain then anyway. . At the end of our trek, we had a comfortable hotel in Machu Picchu town, then Herlin gave us a brilliant tour around MP - we also did the extra hike up Waynapicchu, which is really quite steep and frightening if heights are an issue. MP is a staggering place to visit, I cannot recommend it enough, but you won't get the full benefit unless you have a guide, Herlin was invaluable, especially here. Inkayni had booked everything for us, including our bags to be sent ahead every day, even on the train to Machu Picchu, as the horses don't travel that far because of the train noise, and preserving the inca trails from any hoof damage. Theyd also booked all the transfers to and from MP, and back to Ollantaytambo by train, which was through the most stunning Andean countryside, this was a lovely way to end our trip. They had also a driver waiting here for us, to take us back to Cusco. It’s been brilliant value for money, especially if you book flights a year in advance. Inkayni tours and their staff have been fantastic, I cannot fault them, especially their dedication and knowledge. It's been a mind blowing experience in all the right ways. As a vegan traveller, it may not have always been understood my reasons why, but it was respected. Don't expect to come and lose weight by all your exercise, we were fed like kings, and lots of it. On the trek itself, Herlin was initially intrigued as to why we moved every bug and insect off the paths, so no one squashed them, but was helping our little friends himself by day two, which was funny. Go to Peru, but more so go with Inkayni tour company. They’re a young company who would love to introduce you to their country. They are very proud of their country and its traditional heritage, and that shines through in abundance. Both Inkayni and Touradar replied really fast whenever I had a query, as booking a year ahead, you soon forget what you've actually booked. Everything has run like clockwork and on time, the often complicated logistics has run perfectly. It’s been a very humbling experience.Show detailed ratings
- DHDanWritten on December 3, 20175.0 - ExcellentWe have just returned from the fantastic Salkantay Trek. The experience was absolutely incredible; from the scenery to outstanding food, personalized service and prompt transportation. Our tour guide Percy, shared information on the flora, fauna and Inca history and culture during the trek. Although we were slow hikers, he was very patient and encouraged us through the harder portions of the hike. Fausto, the chef, provided delicious cooked breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The hotel in Cusco is comfortable and quiet with great views and strategically placed for walking to the highlights of the city. If your goal for a trek is to enjoy the scenery and learn about the Inca culture, then this trip is for you.Show detailed ratings
- SWSamWritten on October 30, 20175.0 - ExcellentExcellent - extremely well organisedand delivered trek. My expectations were exceeded in every single area and I would give all staff the highest marks for their effortsShow detailed ratings
- MCMARLENEWritten on October 1, 20174.5 - ExcellentWe just came home from the Salkantay Trek and missed the family from Inkayni! We had Herlin as our guide. He was knowledgeable and patiently answered many of our questions. We liked that he sought our opinions with route options and tried his best to accommodate to our needs on the trek. Justin and Rodrigo took care of our food and lodging needs and were exemplary! They created such delicious meals that energised us for each leg of the trek. Missed their food ever since the end of the trek. Despite the trek being tough, Inkayni made us feel at home and brought the sense of family and belongingness to us throughout the trek. Thank YOU!Show detailed ratings
- CNCherylWritten on August 20, 20175.0 - ExcellentAn amazing trek! Our guide Edgar was very passionate about the culture and we learned so much while enjoying the gorgeous views through the mountains! The Salkantay pass was breathtaking. So beautiful!Show detailed ratings
- CarmenWritten on July 23, 20175.0 - ExcellentMy husband and I took two private tours with Inkayni Peru Tours in May, one tour of Sacred Valley sites and the other of Cusco. We had a great time! The company was totally reliable, easy to work with, and they even customized our tours (a little) on our request. The tour guides were very warm, knowledgeable and very passionate about Peruvian culture. The theory of their business is that they treat you like family, and my husband and I definitely felt that. I highly recommend them!Show detailed ratings
- AlexWritten on July 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentWe had the best experience thanks to Saul our guide and Fernando our driver! Saul was so knowledgeable and welcoming. It was an individualized experience we couldn't have gotten in a big group. Transportation, tickets, hotel-everything was done for us. It was a stress-free adventure thanks to Saul and Fernando. Would not have done it any other way!Show detailed ratings
- NSNathanWritten on June 8, 20175.0 - ExcellentThe Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu with Inkayni Peru Tours we took last month was an incredible and unforgettable experience! Not only were the views and scenery breath-taking (quite literally at the high elevations exceeding 15,000ft !), but the Inkayni staff was helpful and friendly every step along the way. Upon arrival in Cusco, checking in to our hotel, providing food/restaurant suggestions, and getting us back to the airport 10 days later, John, Gabriella, Alex, and Fernando were an enormous help. And out on the trek, we could not have asked for a better guide than Edgar, a better pair of chefs than Justin and Felix, or a better porter/horseman than Simon. I would highly recommend this adventure to anyone!Show detailed ratings
- RLRebeccaWritten on May 20, 20175.0 - ExcellentWe just got home about one week ago, and we had a wonderful time! Our crew of staff were very pleasant and helpful. Edgar was our guide and he was not only knowledgeable, but fun and a good companion. Justin, our chef, made incredible meals the entire trek and helped out in other ways as needed. He and his assistant, Felix, were both much appreciated. I really recommend Inkayni Peru Tours. They will take good care of you and make it enjoyable and as smooth as possible. Thank you to all for the great trip!Show detailed ratings
- LPLeoneWritten on August 31, 20165.0 - ExcellentA trip of a lifetime From the moment we arrived in Cusco we were taken care of, our hotel was excellent with a breath taking view of the city. It was of excellent quality and breakfast was great. Our day trips with Inkayni Peru Tours were well organized, our guide was extremely knowledgeable and spoke fantastic English. After two days we headed off to trek Salkantay and then to Machu Picchu. Again everything was taken care of, our tents were excellent, the cook prepared unbelievable dishes for us and our guide could not have been more helpful and encouraging.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- DAY 1: CUSCO NAVEL OF THE WORLD - MUSEO INKA Y KORICANCHA
- DAY 2: CHINCHERO (TEXTILE INTERPRETATION CENTER)-MARAS -MORAY.
- DAY 3: FIRST DAY TREK: CUSCO - MOLLEPATA - SORAYPAMPA (L)(D)
- DAY 4: SECOND DAY TREK: SORAYPAMPA - CHALLWAY (B)(L)(D)
- DAY 5: THIRD DAY TREK: CHALLWAY - LA PLAYA - LUCMABAMBA (B)(L)(D)
- DAY 6: FOURTH DAY TREK: LUCMABAMBA - LLAPTAPATA -HIDROELECTRICA - AGUAS CALIENTES (17KM , HOURS 9)
- DAY 7: FIFTH DAY TREK: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO (B)
- DAY 8: FREE WALKING TOUR-END THE TOUR
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- February 1, 2017
Can you provide more details about the trek?
Here is some hiking useful information
Starting Altitude - 2900m / 9515ft.
Highest Altitude - 4650m / 15,200ft
Walking Distance - 60.5 km / 37.5 miles
Longest Day - Day 2, approximately 18 km/11 miles
Coldest Night - Day 1 around 0º celsius
Overall Difficulty - Difficult (depends on your level of fitness).
- November 23, 2016
What about safety in Peru?
More then half of the country lives under the poverty line means that petty crime is common.
- November 23, 2016
What is the weather in Peru?
Travelers flying to Cuzco (3250m), or their high altitude cities, should allow several days to acclimatize since altitude sickness can be a problem.
In the Andes (over 3500m) average daily temperatures fall below 10°C (50°F) and overnight temperatures can dip well below freezing.
From April to November Lima and other areas by the Pacific Ocean are enclosed in coastal fog.
April to November is the dry season in the Andes and Altiplano. The wettest months are from December to March.
Along the arid coastal strip, the hot summer months are from December through March.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Sylvia22nd December 2017
Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu
- Upcoming departures
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
- WednesdayMar 7, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMar 14, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayMar 14, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMar 21, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayMar 21, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMar 28, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayMar 28, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayApr 4, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayApr 4, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayApr 11, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayApr 11, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayApr 18, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayApr 18, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayApr 25, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayApr 25, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMay 2, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayMay 2, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMay 9, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
- WednesdayMay 9, 2018from Cusco8 DaysWednesdayMay 16, 2018to Cusco10+ seats left$586$1,690-35%USD $1,104
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Recommended for Peru. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Start and end in Cusco.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Inkayni Peru Tours booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 22 April 2018 the full payment of $1,104 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1104 for Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu , but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Inkayni Peru Tours will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Inkayni Peru Tours : Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Cusco (Peru)
- 17 km
- Chinchero (Peru)
- 56 km
- Mollepata (Peru)
- 40 km
- Aguas Calientes (Peru)
- 8 km
- Machu Picchu (Peru)
- 47 km
- Sacred Valley (Peru)
- 24 km
- Cusco (Peru)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,104 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 3,102 tours in Latin America
- covered by 91 different operators in Latin America
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 18 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu