Western Balkans Uncovered
The Discovery Sale Unlock up to $600 in extra savings
ends in 04:21:40
- Our saving
- US $ 2,261
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
Have a question? Call us +1 844 311 3006
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
Start in Sofia and end in Dubrovnik! With the discovery tour Western Balkans Uncovered, you have a 12 day tour package taking you through Sofia, Bulgaria and 9 other destinations in Europe. Western Balkans Uncovered is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport.
- Age range
- 15 to 99 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Local Transport, Private Vehicle
- Rather Poor
- EricaWritten on October 24, 20173.0 - AverageThe Balkans are amazing and I recommend that you visit this region that is almost unspoiled by Western tourism before more of it becomes like tourist-infested Dubrovnik and mega cruise port Kotor. Highlights on this trip were Lake Ohrrid, Tirana and Pritzen. I fell in love with Lake Ohhrid and its many churches (most with original frescoes as early as 12th century) on the tour led by a local guide at sunset; and Tirana and its energy and history, again with a local guide. I wish we had more time in Pritzen, there was just so much to uncover there. All in all, it’s a beautiful region and I found the locals unexpectedly friendly, welcoming and curious – that is, when we were milling about with locals and not at the more upscale pricey restaurants taken to by our guide (kickback?). Beware as well that the hotels on this itinerary are hardly “comfort” hotels; I think only one of them had an in-room safe, and two were small and bare bones rooms with wires hanging and burned out lightbulbs. As there was significant down time in the evenings, I recommend that solos book the insanely overpriced single supplement (or go with another company) no matter what Intrepid tells you about group cohesiveness; they just want to sell trips. True to form Intrepid brands itself as a low-impact, close to the ground company, but sometimes I feel it is just an excuse to cut costs. With the trip price topping over $200/day, I did not expect to have to shell out more for local guides, admissions to key sights on-route and a number of on-route group meals that were not included. For what its worth, as Intrepid rotates the guides and ours had never led this tour before (although he was expert in the region), I found ours to be aloof and unresponsive at times, and did not always communicate essential logistics clearly and timely. He did maintain a respectable professional profile and had a depth of historical knowledge to share, and I was pleased to see him take his job seriously (not a party animal). It is unfortunate that because of the buddy-friend attitude that Intrepid Guides are known for and what they tell passengers about positive feedback being important for their young careers, the guides, the company and this website probably doesn’t get enough constructive and critical feedback that would help them grow and better serve their passengers. Read every review with a grain of salt, nothing is ever five stars. You just have to live and learn.Show detailed ratings
- RGRogerWritten on May 26, 20174.0 - GoodI did not know what to expect and was pleased to find it all very interesting and different from our North American standards. The kindness of the people toward tourists was wonderful to experience especially given the difficult history all of the countries visited had gone through. Food and drink were very good.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Sofia
- Day 2: Skopje
- Day 3: Prizren / Skopje
- Day 4: Lake Ohrid
- Day 5: Lake Ohrid
- Day 6: Berat
- Day 7: Tirana
- Day 8: Tirana / Kruja
- Day 9: Shkoder / Kotor
- Day 10: Kotor
- Day 11: Dubrovnik
- Day 12: Dubrovnik
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
Guides who have led this tour
- "I love exploring new cultures, civilizations, books... but most of all - people. Working as a guide has..."
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Victoria8th April 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Western Balkans Uncovered
Select Departure Month
- Upcoming departures
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- SaturdayJun 2, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayJun 13, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$100USD $2,395
- SaturdayJun 9, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayJun 20, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$104USD $2,491
- SaturdayJun 30, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayJul 11, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$108USD $2,587
- SaturdayJul 14, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayJul 25, 2018to DubrovnikOnly 1 seat left$108USD $2,587
- SaturdayJul 28, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayAug 8, 2018to DubrovnikOnly 3 seats left$106USD $2,539Book Now Hold my
- SaturdayAug 11, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdayAug 22, 2018to Dubrovnik5 seats left$102USD $2,443Instant BookHold my
- SaturdayAug 25, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdaySep 5, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$104USD $2,491
- SaturdaySep 1, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdaySep 12, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$106USD $2,534
- SaturdaySep 8, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdaySep 19, 2018to Dubrovnik0 seats left$106USD $2,534
- SaturdaySep 15, 2018from Sofia12 DaysWednesdaySep 26, 2018to DubrovnikOnly 1 seat left$106USD $2,534Book Now Hold my
Show more departures
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- EuroKosovo and Montenegro
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Bulgaria. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro and Croatia. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Recommended for Albania. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Albania. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Albania and Croatia. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Sofia is the starting point and Dubrovnik is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Intrepid Travel to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this Intrepid Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 23 July 2018 the full payment of $2,261 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $2261 for Western Balkans Uncovered, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Intrepid Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 748 km.
- Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 174 km
- Skopje (Macedonia)
- 61 km
- Prizren (Kosovo)
- 122 km
- Ohrid (Macedonia)
- 56 km
- Korca (Albania)
- 113 km
- Tirana (Albania)
- 20 km
- Kruja (Albania)
- 67 km
- Shkoder (Albania)
- 73 km
- Kotor (Montenegro)
- 61 km
- Dubrovnik (Croatia)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $2,261 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,987 tours in Europe
- covered by 211 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 2 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Western Balkans Uncovered
Last modified (date)
Joining point instructions
Finish point instructions
Why we love it
Is this trip right for you
Food and dietary requirements
What to take
Climate and seasonal
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers