Northern Lights Exploration - 8 days
- Our saving
- US $ 2,876
- Visit Thingvellir and Vatnajökull National Parks
- Climb a real volcano crater
- Unforgettable Northern Lights
- Learn about the turbulent Icelandic history
- Relax in natural geothermal spa in Blue Lagoon
- Age range
- 18 to 70 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Travel style
- Discovery, Coach / Bus
- Rather Poor
- ColmWritten on October 20, 20184.5 - ExcellentVilli was superb. Loves his country and enjoys showing it off. The itinerary was very well paced and put together. I've traveled a lot but the glacier beach was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The accomodation was generally great, though the hotel in Reykjavik could have been more central. Bring a good camera, a fast lens and a tripod for the lights.Show detailed ratings
- LWLucilleWritten on December 4, 20175.0 - ExcellentIt was just wonderful from the moment we met our guide and visited the magical land of Iceland, each day bought new and exciting adventures. The weather was cold but we were prepared. Crampons were a necessity and the tour provided them for our boots. Waterproof, windproof clothes (like skiware) was necessary and much appreciated. Getting to see the countryside was awe-inspring and the sunsets spectacular. What more can I say.Show detailed ratings
- AMAliciaWritten on March 31, 20174.5 - ExcellentAmazing! Fast-paced and definitely not as much time to really get to experience everything we saw, but you get to see so much stuff, and do things you wouldn't get to do on your own. We saw much more than we would have on our own, and didn't even have to do any of the driving! Everyone was wonderful, things couldn't have gone smoother. Experience of a lifetime! Thank you.Show detailed ratingsOn The Go Tours commented on this reviewDear Alicia, Thank you for taking the time to write about your tour in Iceland. We are glad to hear it was an experience of a lifetime. The great thing about this tour is that'll definitely see more than you could've done on your own so we are really glad you found that. As you said, best bit - you don't have to do the driving! We look forward to welcoming you on a On The Go Tours trip in the future. Best regards, On The Go Tours
- MPMarilynWritten on January 24, 20173.0 - AverageI wish that I could gush about this experience, but there were too many parts of it that were not to my liking. First of all, the travel agency was a mish mash of numerous people, none of whom knew what information the other had already obtained. Consequently I was emailed and called numerous times for the same info. Not professional. The guide on my trip had a wealth of information that was delivered in a bored, monotone fashion without the least amount of enthusiasm. Such a waste. The driver was excellent, the bus well taken care of. The hotels were a mixture of perfect (the Icelandic Air) and totally miserable...The Center Plaza ( shower not working properly etc). Our tour was quite good but I found that the company did not compensate us for those events that were cancelled because of the weather. We were supposed to go on a cruise but were offered instead a trip to a tiny museum. The museum entrance fee certainly did not equal what we paid for the cruise yet we were offered a drink to compensate. Rediculous and cheap! The truth is, I would not recommend you or travel with you again. I have travelled the world for thirty years and yours was probable one of the worst companies I dealt with. Sorry to have to say this, but perhaps it will encourage you to improve in the future.Show detailed ratings
- MSMarilynWritten on November 15, 20162.5 - AverageI loved the tour but was disappointed it wasn't all I expected. It was a northern lights exploration tour and I thought and( so did everyone else on the tour) that we would go out at night to where we could see the lights not from the hotel. We didn't see the lights because of that. We could have gone distances not too far away and in the dark and seen them. Our guide was passionate about the culture but not the lights unfortunately. The evenings were not what was advertised. There was never hot chocolate at midnight. There were too many lights around the hotels as well for good viewing, too much light from nearby towns. We spent to much time in museums and the tomato place and enogh time exploring outdoors like the black beach and along the waterfalls. I would have enjoyed more time watching the horses run, the short time there and short illustration was disappointing. We asked to be able to take photos of the horses and sheep in e paddocks or hills. Eventually the guide did a stop on the last day when it was raining and there were only a couple in the paddock at a stables. We wanted to see them in nature. I found the tour interesting and learnt a lot about Iceland but disappointed as a northern lights tour. The dinners at the hotels were exorbitant and no other choices. Meals in Reykjavik were great. The meal was so tiny th first night my son was starving and had to eat nibbles from the room. That meals was $68 AU!! We had a great group and mix of people of all ages. The blue lagoon was at night so we couldn't take good photos. It was just being in an ordinary pool. It would have been better to have gone in the afternoon. The bus windows were not cleaned until he last couple of days when I made a special request. I was disappointed we couldn't take photos or hardly see out the windows a lot of the time as they were so dirty. I would have thought the driver would clean the, every night but no. I would recommend a shorter tour next time and hire a car to go and see the lights on your own in future. It was an expensive tour for what we did. The skies were clear enough and activity good enough to have seen the lights many times. It is understandable if he weather wasn't favourable but it was if we had gone out searching for lights as the brochure led me to believe. We chose his tour to see the lights, not spend all our time learning about Iceland. It was very interesting and I loved that but that was not our main focus. Unfortunately I did not realise we linked in with GJ travel, we did their tour. You are better to save your money and go out with tours like super jeep where they will take you again and again until you see he lights and the voucher lasts for years. I was disappointed as well there were no hot tubs at the last place we stayed and we were there 2 nights. I wouldn't recommend this tour for northern lights I'm sorry.Show detailed ratingsOn The Go Tours commented on this reviewDear Ms Stewart, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that elements of your tour of Iceland did not live up to your expectations and On the Go Tours would like to assure you that we take all feedback seriously. As such your comments have been passed back to our product team and we thank you for taking the time to write. Best regards, On The Go Tours
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Reykjavik
- Day 2: City Tour & Hot Springs
- Day 3: Mountains & Lights
- Day 4: Golden Circle & Horses
- Day 5: Black Lava Beach
- Day 6: Vatnajökull NP
- Day 7: Lava Fields & Lagoon
- Day 8: Reykjavik
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Main Page Video
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
When is the best time of the year to take this tour?
This tour only runs at optimal times during the year to ensure that the skies are dark enough to see the lights to their full effect. The sighting is heavily dependent on the cloud cover and the activity of the Aurora. This is often down to chance, and all of the tour dates offer an equal chance of a sighting.
September and October are the months we would recommend to anybody who prefers to avoid the extreme cold of an Arctic winter. November and December are very much a time of change in the Arctic and heralds the arrival of the first major snows of the winter. The snow does bring quite a bit of cloud cover but the shorter days also bring darker skies which increases the amount of time during which the Aurora might be visible. January to March are probably the three most popular months for Aurora hunting because they bring long dark nights and plenty of snow to play in during the daylight hours while you wait for darkness to fall!
What hotels do you use for the "Northern Lights Exploration" Tour?
The hotels listed below are ones which On The Go frequently use on this tour. Please note that On The Go reserve the right to substitute these hotels to ones of a similar standard when necessary.
- Centrehotel Plaza, Reykjavik
- Icelandair Hotel Hamar, Borgarnes
- Fosshotel Hekla, Selfoss
- Fosshotel Nupar, Kirkjubajarklaustur
Are the Northern Lights guaranteed on this trip?
Northern Lights (called the Aurora Borealis) is a naturally occurring phenomenon. The appearance of the Northern Lights is notoriously difficult to predict any further in advance than about two hours before it happens. Therefore, it is important to understand that the tour operator won’t be able to guarantee perfect weather conditions while on the tour. That being said, the length of this tour means there will be numerous opportunities to see the Northern Lights and a sighting is likely!
Aside from the Northern Lights, this tour includes many other unforgettable once in a lifetime experiences. You will have the chance to explore Icelandic capital Reykjavik, stand by the mighty Skogafoss waterfall, bathe in the famous geothermal Blue Lagoon and drive through the beautiful scenery of Iceland’s South Shore. It's sure to be an amazing trip!
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Heather, 57 years old23rd September 2018
Northern Lights Exploration - 8 days
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- FridayOct 26, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysFridayNov 2, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- SundayOct 28, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysSundayNov 4, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- FridayNov 2, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysFridayNov 9, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- SundayNov 4, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysSundayNov 11, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- FridayNov 9, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysFridayNov 16, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- SundayNov 11, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysSundayNov 18, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- FridayNov 16, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysFridayNov 23, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- SundayNov 18, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysSundayNov 25, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
- FridayNov 23, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysFridayNov 30, 2018to ReykjavikOnly 3 seats left$463$3,195-10%USD $2,876Based on Double Room
- SundayNov 25, 2018from Reykjavik8 DaysSundayDec 2, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$160USD $3,195Based on Double Room
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Reykjavik.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request On The Go Tours to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this On The Go Tours booking. The remaining balance is then payable 65 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 26 December 2018 the full payment of $2,876 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $2876 for Northern Lights Exploration - 8 days, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for On The Go Tours : Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
- 122 km
- Snaefellsjokull National Park (Iceland)
- 98 km
- Borgarnes (Iceland)
- 108 km
- Hella (Iceland)
- 45 km
- Eyjafjallajokull (Iceland)
- 79 km
- Kirkjubaejarklaustur (Iceland)
- 95 km
- Jokulsarlon (Iceland)
- 95 km
- Kirkjubaejarklaustur (Iceland)
- 63 km
- Vik (Iceland)
- 163 km
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $2,876 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,511 tours in Europe
- covered by 254 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date.
- 5 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Northern Lights Exploration - 8 days