Start planning your tour
Start and end in Dakar! With the discovery tour Senegal and The Gambia, you have a 13 day tour package taking you through Dakar, Senegal and 15 other destinations in Africa. Senegal and The Gambia includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
Day 1: Join trip in Dakar (Senegal)
Start point Savana Hotel, Hotel reception, Corniche Est Dakar Plateau, Dakar, Senegal 18:00
- Day 2: Ferry to the Island of Goree; Visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Day 3: Visit to the Pink Lake followed by an afternoon drive to the old French Capital of West Africa; St. Louis
- Day 4: Djoudj bird reserve and St Louis;- Visit a charming french colonial town
- Day 5: Explore the Langue de Barbarie by motorised pirogue
- Day 6: Drive to Georgetown (Gambia) via Touba Mosque
- Day 7: Cruise along the Gambia River and visit an archaeological mystery, the Wassau Stone Circles
- Day 8: Bird and wildlife spotting as we cruise down the river; afternoon arrival at Tendaba river camp
- Day 9: At Tendaba; visits to Kiang West and Bao Bolong Wetland Reserves
- Day 10: Drive to Saloum Delta (Senegal)
- Day 11: Saolum Delta National Park; pirogue trip north through the Delta to Ndagane
- Day 12: Visit Senegal's giant Baobab tree, explore Fadiout Island and return to Dakar
Day 13: Trip ends in Dakar
End point Savana Hotel, Hotel reception, Corniche Est Dakar Plateau, Dakar, Senegal 09:00
- Additional Services
- Additional Services
Where You'll Stay
Berth / Cabin
- Overall RatingExcellent
- Most Recent
- Most Popular
- Highest First
- Lowest First
- CCatherineRowland· February 24, 2020Be prepared for some very basic accommodation. There is no electricity at all at one location, you go for 4 days without hot water. No internet coverage for days. The state of repair of facilities is poor e.g. broken toilet flush, lights not working.... Show moreTrip date: February 2020
- LLesleyPallett· January 09, 2020Not to use Air Portugal if at all possible as a large number of the group had bad experiences with flights being delayed and missing connections and had luggage go missing. Be aware that 2 of the hotels used on the tour are very basic indeed.... Show moreExplore! commented on this reviewHi Lesley, Many thanks for your review and good to hear that you had a great experience. If you are flying from the UK the main airline is TAP Portuguese Airlines but there are some other airlines that do the route including Vueling, Iberia and Royal... Show moreTrip date: December 2019
- ABryan· May 17, 2019This is a great trip for keen birdwatchers, who were in the majority on our trip. This,my 81st Explore trip, was my first visit to West Africa. I think that it is unlikely that I'll go to this region againTrip date: April 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AShaun· May 17, 2019We have had many very good (and one or two not so good) tour leaders over the years, but none better than Baba. His organisational skills were first-class, he taught us a lot about the two countries and their histories and cultures and his bird-spotting... Show moreTrip date: November 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AJohn· May 17, 2019Seeing all the birds was great but the countries didn't seem to have much else to offer. At least we were spared the usual day exploring the capital because Dakar is a grotty city. I wonder if national parks in the east or south of Senegal might be... Show moreTrip date: November 2018Review collected by Explore!
- ACarole· May 17, 2019I really enjoyed the trip and found it really interesting and loved the variety. I don't mind accomodation issues so long as I have a little running water and a loo and clean sheets and a mossie net - that is all we need but unfortunately not everyone... Show moreTrip date: January 2019Review collected by Explore!
- AJacqueline· May 17, 2019It was suggested we bring a fleece for cool evenings but many of us were surprised how cool it could be in the evenings. Maybe more emphasis on this might help future travellers.Trip date: January 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AKevin· May 17, 2019It was an excellent trip and exactly how we had imagined it would be- although actually even better when seeing all the stunning scenery and the birds “in the flesh”.Trip date: December 2018Review collected by Explore!
- APhilip· May 17, 2019Just again would like to emphasize the great double act that was Baba and Ussman. I have no hesitation in recommending these two to others looking at this area.Trip date: December 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AKrystyna· May 17, 2019This trip exceeded my expectations. I went to escape English January weather and came back with so many new and lovely experiences. Thank you Explore!Trip date: January 2019Review collected by Explore!
Dates & Availability
Senegal and The Gambia
From Dakar to Dakar
No credit card fees
Select a departure month
Select The Travel Month
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayNov 1, 2020FridayNov 13, 2020Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,240
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayNov 15, 2020FridayNov 27, 2020Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,240
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayNov 29, 2020FridayDec 11, 2020Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,240
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayDec 20, 2020FridayJan 1, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,240
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayJan 17, 2021FridayJan 29, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayFeb 7, 2021FridayFeb 19, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayFeb 21, 2021FridayMar 5, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayMar 14, 2021FridayMar 26, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayApr 4, 2021FridayApr 16, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
- Get Instant ConfirmationSundayOct 17, 2021FridayOct 29, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$2,290
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!
Good to Know
- About the countries
- Payment information
- Cancellation Policy
- Discover TourRadar