Welcome to Melbourne
- Tour Operator:
- Welcome To Travel
- Max group size:
- Age range:
- 18 to 39
- Operated in:
- Tour id:
- Get up close to koalas and kangaroos!
- Learn to surf like a pro
- See Phillip Island's famous tiny penguins
- Visit St Kilda Beach
- Discover Melbourne's Street Art, Food and Laneway Scenes
- Day 1 Arrival Day
- Day 2 Meet and Greet, City Walking Tour & Welcome Dinner
- Day 3 Markets, Street Art and Food+Drink Tour
- Day 4 Beach Time, Wine-Tasting & 100s of Tiny Penguins
- Day 5 Bucket List Ticked: Surfing, Kangaroos and Koalas
- Day 6 Work and Travel Help and St Kilda Beach
- Day 7 Expert Life Admin & Bar Crawl
- Day 8 Rooftop BBQ & Travel Family Farewells
- Additional Services
Operated by Welcome To Travel
Welcome To Travel was founded by two people just like you. In 2010, Adam and Darryl left England for sunnier shores and a fter stop-offs in South Africa and South East Asia along the way, they headed to Australia. They picked fruit, drove tractors, slept under the stars, applied sun cream badly, surfed even worse and most of all had a great time doing so! After their own backpacking experience, they went on to help backpackers working for Australia's largest backpacker travel agency. Their passion and knowledge for travel and most of all helping travellers live out their dream has led them to creating Welcome to Travel. Welcome To Travel is all about empowering new travellers, giving you friends for life and memories that last a lifetime. Welcome to Travel now operate the Number 1 ranked tour in Melbourne, Welcome to Melbourne: The 8 Day. This tour has also taken out Best Tour in Victoria twice (2018+2019) at the Adventure Tourism Awards. As of 2020, Welcome to Travel have started to offer East Coast tours in semester breaks. These are perfect for international students and have been extremely popular. Check them out!Read more
- Overall RatingExcellent
- Most Recent
- Most Popular
- Highest First
- Lowest First
- GGGrace· March 22nd, 2023Great week, met some amazing people. Would have been great if they included the botanical gardens, it may have been better than the walking tour which I felt was a bit pointless. Also, when they book your east coast trip for you they don't give a price... Show moreTrip date: March 2023
- Ania· March 7th, 2023I had an amazing time during my week in Melbourne! Emily was absolutely wonderful. She was attentive and gave the best recommendations. The activities we did during the trip were so much fun especially the surf lessons. The hostel we stayed at was a... Show moreTrip date: February 2023
- Kim· January 9th, 2023Such an amazing experience and met some wonderful people on the tour. The two tour guides Emily and Lauren were absolutely amazing and planed a fantastic week for all of us. The welcome to travel team were so professional and even helped me plan out my... Show moreTrip date: January 2023
- BKBrooke· October 9th, 2022Had the best week in Melbourne. Courtney was a fantastic tour guide, had the best week! Would recommend the tour to anyone wanting to come to Australia!Trip date: October 2022
- MMadelineAndres· September 15th, 2022Every member of the Team (that i met) were so open and nice! It's great to know, that you have someone to call or to Text the whole time you are here in australia. They will help you with everything if you want to and that is amazing!! We have seen so... Show moreTrip date: September 2022
- Maddie· June 26th, 2022Such a great value for money! Courtney was a fantastic guide, but everyone at welcome to travel is helpful and genuinely nice. I highly recommend this tour to anyone considering itTrip date: June 2022
- Cara· May 25th, 2022Can’t even put into words how amazing our first week was! See for yourself!!Trip date: May 2022
- JJohannesMoser· May 1st, 2022I basically want to thank the whole Welcome to Travel-Team for having a stunning week at the Welcome to Melbourne-Tour. It has everything, including experiences from wildlife on the one hand and city streetart on the other. You get to know the city in... Show moreTrip date: April 2022
- SSarahAndrews· March 2nd, 2020Can honestly say that this tour was the best possible way to spend my first week in Melbourne! My two friends and I loved every minute of our 8 day tour with Welcome to Travel and can safely say we’ve walked away having seen so much, met amazing friends... Show moreWelcome To Travel commented on this reviewSarah, what a legend! Thank you so much for your lovely review. It makes us so happy you had such a good time! I hope you're well :-) Adam.Trip date: February 2020
- Tris· March 2nd, 2020Very informative guide, had an answer about everything and was very passionate about us (the group) to learn as much as possible as well as enjoy every aspect of Melbourne. Our tour guide, Claudia, was very laid back and had a great sense of humour and... Show moreWelcome To Travel commented on this reviewTrissssss, thank you so much for this review. We're glad you had a great time and found Clauds so knowledgable, I'll be sure to tell her! I'm glad we could find you some work too. I hope all is well mate. Stay safe, AdamTrip date: February 2020
Dates & Availability
Take advantage of our 0% interest instalment plan on selected departures. Learn More
- Sunday25 Jun, 2023Saturday1 Jul, 2023English$708
- Sunday9 Jul, 2023Saturday15 Jul, 2023English$775
- Sunday16 Jul, 2023Saturday22 Jul, 2023English$775
- Sunday23 Jul, 2023Saturday29 Jul, 2023English$775
- Sunday30 Jul, 2023Saturday5 Aug, 2023English$775
- Sunday6 Aug, 2023Saturday12 Aug, 2023English$775
- Sunday13 Aug, 2023Saturday19 Aug, 2023English$775
- Sunday20 Aug, 2023Saturday26 Aug, 2023English$775
- Sunday27 Aug, 2023Saturday2 Sep, 2023English$775
- Sunday3 Sep, 2023Saturday9 Sep, 2023English$7750% Interest Instalments
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Medicare and how do I organise it?
Medicare is Australia’s health care scheme, which allows Australians and some overseas visitors to access certain health services at little or no cost. Only a handful of countries are eligible to apply for Medicare in Australia, including:
Belgium, Finland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, The Republic of Ireland, Slovenia, Sweden and the United Kingdom
Click here: https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/when-you-visit-australia to see details for eligibility and details for enrolment, such as what documents you will need to bring to service centres. We will also explain this in more detail when you arrive and point you in the right direction.
- Why do I need a bank account?
If you’re travelling as a tourist for just a few weeks, you don’t need one – a pre-loaded travel cash card will work just fine!
If you’re here for a longer period of time (for example, on a Working Holiday Visa) then it’s highly recommended to open an Australian bank account. Not only will you save a lot on exchange/transaction fees, but employers will only pay wages into an Australian account. It’s also an extremely easy process that we will organise for you.
You can fast-track the whole process by creating a Transferwise account, so that you can already have Australian dollars in your account for when you get here. But don’t worry about all of this now, we’ll explain it all soon!
- What is a Tax File Number (TFN)?
This is basically a personal identity number created for you by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). It is required if you want to work in Australia, so that you can be correctly taxed on your income from day one.
You will provide this number to each employer you have while you are in Australia and your tax will be deducted from your wage accordingly, just as it would be in your home country.
- When will I receive my SIM Card?
Depending when you land you will receive your Australian Sim Card on Friday morning before the tour or on Monday morning of the tour, during the meet and greet session.
Don’t panic! You will be able to jump on the free wi-fi at the hostel and airport beforehand to let everyone back home know that you got to Melbourne safe and sound.
- How will I find a job?
With our help, that’s how!
As part of your Welcome to Travel: Melbourne package you will receive exclusive tips, resources and guidance towards finding a job and farm work in Australia.
We will present you with all of the basic information needed to get started, and give you access to our huge database of employers and contacts in sectors such as hospitality, retail, construction, sales and marketing and many more.
We also send out a weekly update email that highlights the most recent job and farm work opportunities we come across.
- Can you help me plan my travels around Australia?
Of course! During our travel presentation, we will give you an overview of all the beautiful and exciting destinations and experiences around Australia.
Following this, during your one-on-one sessions with our team, we will talk more specifically about what exactly you want to see and do, and we’ll help you plan everything. We want to make sure you have the most amazing adventure possible while you’re here!
- What happens after my tour with Welcome to Travel?
That’s up to you! Everyone has different plans for their time in Australia. You might even find that your plans may change halfway during the tour after meeting some new friends.
Either way, the Welcome To Travel team is here to support you before, during and after the welcome week. Whether it’s work or travel you’re looking to organise or get advice on, we’ll be able to help you.
We will go through options that suit you specifically in the one-on-one sessions on the Saturday of the tour. We then have our Travel Experience Team who will be there to help you throughout your whole time in Australia!
- How much money would you recommend bringing to Australia?
This depends on trip length, your travel style (backpacker or flashpacker) and what you are wanting to experience here in Australia.
According to the Australian Government, you need $5,000AUD in your bank account on arrival if you’re coming on a Working Holiday visa. This is a good savings target if you are wanting to either travel for a month or set yourself up for working and living in Australia after the Welcome To Travel week.
However, everybody is different and to give yourself the best chance of experiencing as many things as possible in Australia, we would recommend just saving up as much as possible before you come travelling.
- How much will I need for food and drinks on Welcome to Melbourne: 8 Day?
Two dinners and two lunches are included as part of the tour, as well as some delicious tastings. Outside of that, you’ll be able to find lunch for between $6-15 and dinner for $10-$20. If you want to save money, you can always team up with people and cook dinners at the hostel!
For drinks, the welcome dinner and will include a drink, and you’ll be given two on your food and drink tour, and another four during the bar crawl – how good is that! Outside of that, drinks usually cost between $7-11 but we can also point you in the direction of plenty of places with happy hours offering drinks for $5-6.
Because accommodation, activities and some food and drink is already included, we would suggest that $200-$250 of extra spending money during your week with us will be enough!
- I’ve never stayed in a dorm before, what should I expect?
Expect the best experience ever!
As long as you’re polite and friendly then you’ll be fine. To get the best out of your experience we recommend talking to people in your dorm as soon as possible. Travel broadens the mind and that is mainly because of people you meet. Listen to where they’ve been, what they’ve loved, what they recommend, their funniest stories, all of it! This will be you in a few months!
Sure, from time to time you may have a cliché guitar player, a loud snorer or a 6am deodorant-sprayer (you’ll know what I mean soon!) but that’s all part of travelling and the people you meet will be a big part of your stories and travel experiences!
All dorms have lockers, but you will need to buy a small padlock to use them.
We aim to try and get everyone on Welcome To Melbourne in the same dorm, but if you have any special requests such as, you want to be in an all female dorm or you want to upgrade to your own room. Then will be able to assist you.
Nothing quite sums it up quite like the viral video which we made. Check out ‘Things Never Said By Backpackers’ here: https://welcometo.travel/2018/04/23/things-never-said-backpackers/
Good to Know
- Australian DollarAustralia
- Plugs & Adapters
As a traveller from USA, Canada, England, South Africa you will need an adaptor for type I.
- Type IAustralia
- These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Yellow fever - Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Australia. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis - Recommended for Australia. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Unfortunately we cannot offer you a visa application service. Whether you need a visa or not depends on your nationality and where you wish to travel. Assuming your home country does not have a visa agreement with the country you're planning to visit, you will need to apply for a visa in advance of your scheduled departure.
- Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
- Payment information
- For any tour departing before August 3rd, 2023 a full payment is necessary. For tours departing after August 3rd, 2023, a minimum payment of 20% is required to confirm your booking with Welcome To Travel. The final payment will be automatically charged to your credit card on the designated due date. The final payment of the remaining balance is required at least 60 days prior to the departure date of your tour. TourRadar never charges you a booking fee and will charge you in the stated currency.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Welcome To Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- The following cards are accepted for "Welcome To Travel" tours: Visa, Maestro, Mastercard, American Express or PayPal. TourRadar does NOT charge you an extra fee for using any of these payment methods.
- Cancellation Policy
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar is an authorised Agent of Welcome To Travel. Please familiarise yourself with the Welcome To Travel payment, cancellation and refund conditions.
- AccessibilitySome tours are not suitable for mobility-restricted traveller, however, some operators may be able to accommodate special requests. For any enquiries, you can contact our customer support team, who are ready and waiting to help you.
Keep Exploring Australia
- Australia Travel Guide | All You Need to Know
- Best 4 Week Australia Itineraries 2023/2024 (with Reviews)
- 10 Best Adventure Tour and Travel Companies
- 10 Best Budget Adventure Tours 2023/2024
- Australia from Melbourne
- Australia Active Adventure
- Small group tour
- 7 days Australia
- Operators in Australia/Oceania
- Phillip Island
- Welcome to Melbourne Tours in Australia
- Active Adventure Tours
- Phillip Island Tours
- Active Adventure Tours
- Group Tours
- Fully Guided Tours
- Explorer Tours
- East Australia
- Phillip Island
- Australia tours