Cycling Puglia & Matera
- Our saving
- US $ 1,579
- Age range
- 16 to 80 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- Rather Poor
- ALAvrilWritten on October 5, 20174.0 - GoodWe thoroughly enjoyed our cycle tour. Most hotels were comfy and we had great nights out for supper where Antonio Desantis booked when we arrived in a new place. Antonio was a friendly, sincere young man who had a lot of responsibility taking care of us. He was a good cyclist and watched over us like a shepherd his flock. Pierrot, our driver was also very friendly and helpful and kept our precious things safe enroute. They were considerate of our needs and Antonio joined in our evenings when he didn't have to. Our gear was in good condition and overall the cycling was pleasurable. We had 3 days of rain and I became a better cyclist as a result of the people on the trip who were more experienced or familiar with bike tours. We had one cyclist hurt himself on day one but it was through no fault of Antonio's. Just bad weather and slippery surfaces. This has a very sobering effect on the group which was not a bad thing. The two guides handled this injury very well I thought! Our hotels were mostly great. Hotel Albania was our least favourite and we could only access WiFi in the lobby. My husband was not pleased! I also felt there was a lack of washing and drying facilities considering these hotels cater to thousands of cyclists. Too few places to dry our wet gear or wash off the mud. I think Albania was the only place with a drying rack in the corridor. So out of 10 we would give the trip a 9.Show detailed ratings
- AnonymousWritten on October 16, 20133.0 - AverageLovely villages especially Matera and Otranto. It was an expensive holiday as there were no lunches/dinners provided. According to the Exodus write-up you would only need approximately
- AnonymousWritten on October 9, 20134.0 - GoodGenerally good trip with excellent and thoughtful guide. However due to the size of the group two guides may have been more appropriate, considering the rather expensive cost of the trip in total. beautiful scenery good company and the right level of cycling for a relative novice like me (possibly with the exception of the 70 km first day.
- AnonymousWritten on May 26, 20135.0 - ExcellentThis was a fabulous trip that really exceeded my expectations. I knew that the region would be very nice but it was just stunning and the countryside was beautiful to cycle through. The accommodation was really lovely also...especially in MateraWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The views mainly...The lovely little towns we visited were great but the real delight was the contrast between the countryside and the coastal pathsWhat did you think of your group leader?we had an Italian guide Michele who was wonderful....very helpful (especially sorting out bills at the end of meals etc) and really organised to ensure we made the most of our tripDo you have any advice for potential travellers?April/May was a wonderful time to visit....hardly any tourists.....I would just say Go before this region gets too busyIs there anything else you would like to add?missed my little orange bike at the end of the trip.......
- AnonymousWritten on May 12, 20134.0 - GoodThis was a really enjoyable cycling holiday: the roads chosen were predominatly little trafficked by cars, the countryside was a lush green, with roadsides and fields covered in masses of wildflowers, the villages and towns presenting aspects ranging from rural tranquility to urban liveliness and architectural interest. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Not a moment, but a few inspirational hours: the spectacular scenery of the Adriatic coast from Santa Maria de Leuca towards Otranto.Â What did you think of your group leader?Michele did everything possible - and always with a smile and good humour - to make the holiday a good experience for everyone in the group.Â He also ensured that we sampled the special/traditonal dishes of each region.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Make sure to take with you a good guide book for the region!
- AnonymousWritten on May 10, 20135.0 - ExcellentPerfect spring cycling, beautiful scenery, wonderful foodWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Visiting the caves (sassi) in Matera, cycling through the countryside around Alberobello with fields of red poppies surrounding white trullis and groves of olive trees, the coast ride north of LeucaWhat did you think of your group leader?Michele is a really great guide: tireless and always cheerful, he couldn't do enough for us and even went to the trouble of preparing a local dish himself for our lunch at a bar on the beach on the last day. He knew the best places for views along the route and performed a dive from the cliffs into the sea - very impressive! He was also very flexible so we were able to stop at a beach and swim one very hot afternoon instead of continuing to ride.You can't go to Puglia and not try the local foods and he always had recommendations for us. Thanks to his thoughtfulness settling individual bills after meals was also very simple and quick. If anyone didn't want to carry on riding he and the driver Antonio were always ready to load the bike on the roof and never made anyone feel they were being difficult.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?The bikes are good touring bikes with computer, pannier and a bag with map holder for the handlebars so no need to bring bike backpacks etc. Exodus also provided waterbottles. Bring padded shorts - the roads can be bumpy:-)Try to stay an extra night in Matera at the start - it is well worth it. I also stayed an exta night in Lecce and took the train back to Bari for just â‚¬18.You need good sun protection!Is there anything else you would like to add?I'd wanted to visit this area for a while and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Cycling was really enjoyable - with the long winter here some of us were concerned about stamina for the long first day but it was all doable. The most uphill stretches were on day 5 but none were too hard and Italian car drivers are much more considerate of cyclists than British ones.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Matera.
- Day 2: Ride past the historic 'Sassi' houses of Matera before heading to Alberobello.
- Day 3: Cycle through the lush Valle d'Itria, past the picturesque fairytale trulli houses to the hilltop-town of Ostuni.
- Day 4: Ride through quaint villages and country lanes to a typical Masseria - a renovated farmhouse - where we spend the night.
- Day 5: Cycle to the coast and swim in the crystal clear sea before continuing towards Gallipoli with its old town situated on a rocky island.
- Day 6: Follow stunning stretch of coastline leading to the ancient town of Otranto.
- Day 7: Continue along the shoreline to the beautiful Baroque city of Lecce.
- Day 8: End Lecce.
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Exodus People - Marinella's Story
- Exodus People - Marinella
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Can we visit any of the caves?
We do not offer a visit to the Caves on this itinerary.
What are distances per day?
Daily distance in km/miles below:
What is included in the tour price?
All transport and listed activities
Tour leader throughout
Local bike hire - a 27 speed bike included in the trip price
7 nights in comfortable charming hotels
6 days cycling with 100% vehicle support
99% tarmac, with one very short section of gravel
Quiet roads with a few ascents and descent
All breakfasts included
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Ivy30th July 2018
Cycling Puglia & Matera
- Upcoming departures
- September 2018
- October 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- SundaySep 30, 2018from Bari8 DaysSundayOct 7, 2018to Bari7 seats left$166$1,745-10%USD $1,579
- SundayOct 7, 2018from Bari8 DaysSundayOct 14, 2018to Bari0 seats left$74USD $1,781Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- SundayOct 21, 2018from Bari8 DaysSundayOct 28, 2018to BariOnly 2 seats left$169$1,825-9%USD $1,656
- SundayApr 7, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayApr 14, 2019to Bari8 seats left$169$1,815-9%USD $1,646
- SundayApr 21, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayApr 28, 2019to Bari8 seats left$170$1,855-9%USD $1,685
- SundayMay 5, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayMay 12, 2019to Bari8 seats left$170$1,855-9%USD $1,685
- SundayMay 12, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayMay 19, 2019to Bari8 seats left$171$1,885-9%USD $1,714
- SundayMay 19, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayMay 26, 2019to Bari8 seats left$171$1,885-9%USD $1,714
- SundayMay 26, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayJun 2, 2019to Bari8 seats left$171$1,885-9%USD $1,714
- SundayJun 9, 2019from Bari8 DaysSundayJun 16, 2019to Bari8 seats left$171$1,885-9%USD $1,714
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Bari.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 24 November 2018 the full payment of $1,579 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1579 for Cycling Puglia & Matera, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Bari (Italy)
- 55 km
- Matera (Italy)
- 55 km
- Alberobello (Italy)
- 8 km
- Locorotondo (Italy)
- 21 km
- Ostuni (Italy)
- 83 km
- Gallipoli (Italy)
- 44 km
- Otranto (Italy)
- 36 km
- Lecce (Italy)
- 140 km
- Bari (Italy)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,579 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,853 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Cycling Puglia & Matera