New Zealand–South Island Encompassed
- Our saving
- US $ 1,842
- Go hiking, kayaking, cycling and bungee jumping!
- See rainforests, glaciers and coastlines
- Stay in a floating boat hostel
- Experience a wilderness hostel deep in the rainforest
- Age range
- 18 to 39 year olds
- Hostel, Hotel, Lodge
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus, Bicycle, Boat, Private Vehicle, Ferry
- Travel style
- Discovery, Adventure
- Rather Poor
- JJamesWritten on June 21, 20183.5 - GoodOverall I really enjoyed this tour, but i'm left wondering how much that was to do with the tour and thinking it was more to do with the country itself, it's stunning! The accommodations provided were mostly good (The floating boat in Abel Tasman, Nomads in Qtown, Rainforest retreat in Franz Josef), Quirky (Old Sheep Quarters in Weddernburn, Jailhouse hotel in Christchurch) and maybe not so great but fine for a night (Nomads at Wellington and the holiday view park kinda let the side down). You can achieve everything you might typically want to do in New Zealand on this tour, with your guide generally helping to book and explain logistics etc. Expect long days and early starts on the bus, the consecutive days in Queenstown were probably much needed. Your driver/guide will make lots of stops for photos, food etc on the long drives which can break up the long travel days nicely. There was 19 in my group which felt like quite a lot as the bus can be quite cramped, ages ranged from 18-38. Some people in the group didn't appear to get on which occasionally made things difficult but you can get that anywhere and that side really is unpredictable. Also if you're joining this tour In Wellington then expect to join a group who had already started on the North Island (it was a 50/50 split). Of all the activities i did, I'd highly recommend the Canyon Swing in Queenstown (even if you hate heights like i do!), the bike ride in Wedderburn is stunning especially if the weather is on your side - Also try curling whilst you're there! New Zealand is great and i would recommend to anyone who has any small urge to go there.Show detailed ratingsG Adventures commented on this reviewThanks for the honest feedback here. Appreciate it and the time taken. Agreed - the Wedderburn bike ride is fantastic. Recommend to all!
- AWAlexanderWritten on February 24, 20183.5 - GoodThe trip was excellent. Some of the accommodations were absolute shite. Specifically Nomads in Wellington. It was terrible. However, other accommodations were excellent. The boat, the jail house and the Wederburn accommodations stood out as being great fun. Summer was a tremendous tour guide. She was constantly outgoing, friendly and in high spirits. She did an excellent job of maintaining the group morale even when managing early mornings, hung over participants and otherwise grumpy people. She provided excellent information about New Zealand and acted both as a tour guide and a friend. She told stories of her first hand experiences in NZ as well as provided facts and statistics for our information. Our tour group got along very well. However, Summer made an effort to socialize with everyone to ensure that any groups that formed were not exclusive or social cliques. This was critical to the inclusivity of the group so that everyone felt welcome; even those with weaker common language skills.Show detailed ratings
- MichaelWritten on December 20, 20155.0 - ExcellentNew Zealand is even more stunning than expected. Every day on this trip took us to entirely different landscapes, from stunning cliffs and rivers, to beaches and ocean views, to rainforests and open farmland, it has everything. It really does feel like you've stepped in Middle Earth. Our G Adventures guides (Auto and Lucy, normally just 1 guide on the tours though!) were brilliant and looked after absolutely everything for us. They knew all the best local spots for drinks and food, and helped each individual member arrange EXACTLY the activities they wanted to do (No easy feat, the list of options in Queenstown alone is crazy!). You can do just about anything you imagine here; I went white water rafting, flying a plane, swimming in the ocean with 200 wild dolphins, quad biking and more. If you want to jump out of a plane or off a bridge, that's obviously an option too, enjoy! ;) Couldn't recommend the tour higher!
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1 Wellington
- Day 2 Wellington/Abel Tasman National Park (1B, 1D)
- Day 3 Abel Tasman National Park (1B)
- Day 4 Abel Tasman National Park/Westport (1B, 1D)
- Day 5 Westport/Franz Josef (1B, 1D)
- Day 6 Franz Josef (1B)
- Day 7 Franz Josef/Queenstown (1B)
- Days 8-9 Queenstown
- Day 10 Queenstown/Te Anau (1B, 1L)
- Day 11 Te Anau/Central Otago (1B, 1D)
- Day 12 Central Otago (1B)
- Day 13 Wedderburn/Christchurch (1B)
- Day 14 Christchurch/Kaikoura (1B)
- Day 15 Kaikoura/Wellington (1B)
- Day 16 Wellington (1B)
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
How many people are in the group?
This is a small group tour so there is a Max 20 passengers and an average of 16.
Is this a good trip for a 28 year old solo female?
This is a great trip with G Adventures! They run amazing trips that are very popular with solo travellers. Solo travellers would be automatically paired up with another solo traveller of the same gender, or they have the option to pay a single supplement and have their own accommodations.
Do you stick to your 18-39 age requirements for your trips?
The trip will have a mix of ages with a range of solo travellers, friends and couples travelling together, however G Adventures trips are very popular with solo travellers which make up about 50% of their travellers.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Marcia9th August 2018
New Zealand–South Island Encompassed
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
- January 2020
- February 2020
- March 2020
- April 2020
- May 2020
- June 2020
- July 2020
- August 2020
- September 2020
- October 2020
- November 2020
- December 2020
- January 2021
- ThursdayOct 4, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayOct 19, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayOct 11, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayOct 26, 2018to WellingtonOnly 3 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayOct 18, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayNov 2, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayOct 25, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayNov 9, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayNov 1, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayNov 16, 2018to WellingtonOnly 2 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayNov 8, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayNov 23, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- MondayNov 12, 2018from Wellington16 DaysTuesdayNov 27, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayNov 15, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayNov 30, 2018to WellingtonOnly 2 seats left$96USD $2,303
- MondayNov 19, 2018from Wellington16 DaysTuesdayDec 4, 2018to Wellington0 seats left$96USD $2,303
- ThursdayNov 22, 2018from Wellington16 DaysFridayDec 7, 2018to WellingtonOnly 1 seat left$96USD $2,303
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- DollarNew Zealand
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Wellington.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request G Adventures to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this G Adventures booking. The remaining balance is then payable 65 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 29 November 2018 the full payment of $1,842 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1842 for New Zealand–South Island Encompassed, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable. But, the deposit is fully transferable to future bookings with G Adventures.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for G Adventures tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Wellington (New Zealand)
- 156 km
- Abel Tasman NP (New Zealand)
- 189 km
- Punakaiki (New Zealand)
- 168 km
- Franz Josef (New Zealand)
- 222 km
- Queenstown (New Zealand)
- 135 km
- Doubtful Sound (New Zealand)
- 491 km
- Christchurch (New Zealand)
- 151 km
- Kaikoura (New Zealand)
- 154 km
- Wellington (New Zealand)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,842 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 958 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 67 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date. As an added benefit though, you can use the deposit for future bookings with G Adventures.
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on New Zealand–South Island Encompassed