8-Days Northern Lights Exploration
- Tour Operator:
- GJ Travel
- Max group size:
- Age range:
- 8 to 99
- Operated in:
- English, German
- Tour id:
Places You’ll See
- Grábrók Volcano
- Kirkjufell Mountain
- Thingvellir National Park
- Blue Lagoon
- Go sightseeing in Reykjavík, Iceland’s exciting capital
- Explore the famous Golden Circle sites of Iceland
- Cruise the Breiðafjörður fjord and savour local Hákarl
- Experience a spectacular crystal ice cave in Vatnajökull
- See the amazing Barnafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls
- Step into the darkness and search for the Northern Lights
- Day 1: WELCOME TO ICELAND (50 km/31 mls)
- Day 2: REYKJAVIK CITY TOUR & BORGARFJÖRÐUR SAGA VALLEY (245 km/152 mls)
- Day 3: SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA & LAVA CAVE (300 km/186 mls)
- Day 4: GOLDEN CIRCLE, GEOTHERMAL TASTE & ICELANDIC HORSES (220 km/136 mls)
- Day 5: NATURAL WONDERS OF SOUTH ICELAND & EYJAFJALLAJÖKULL VOLCANO (220 km/136 mls)
- Day 6: SKAFTAFELL NATIONAL PARK & VATNAJÖKULL GLACIER (280 km/174 mls)
- Day 7: SOUTH SHORE, REYKJAVÍK & BLUE LAGOON (370 km/230 mls)
- Day 8: DEPARTURE HOME (50 km/31 mls)
- Additional Services
Where You'll Stay
Operated by GJ Travel
For more than 90 years, our company has hosted travellers from all corners of the world. Through Guðmundur Jónasson Travel, many have returned time and time again together with their families and friends, to experience Iceland's unique, beautiful nature and historical traditions. Our dedicated Team never lose sight of the 'personal touch,' and work hard to ensure that the varied and interesting itineraries offered by Guðmundur Jónasson Travel provide fully for the needs of today's travelers.Read more
- Overall RatingExcellent
- Most Recent
- Most Popular
- Highest First
- Lowest First
- Alex· March 21st, 2023We were able to see so much of the natural beauty of Iceland in a short amount of time. The days were long but worth it. Our first bus was a little uncomfortable but second was nice. Wish there was better communication from the tour guide on itinerary... Show moreTrip date: March 2023
- AWAye Pang· February 24th, 2023Other than the mistakes of our pretrip hotel booking, the rest of the trip was wonderful with Simone our guide n driverTrip date: February 2023
- Елена· February 23rd, 2023The trip was wonderful! We saw Aurora and a lot of beautiful landscapes. Once you see Iceland, it is impossible to forget it. Beautiful country, wonderful group, wonderful guide Simona (!!!), good hotels, excellent route! I recommend!!!GJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review and so good to hear that you had a wonderful time. All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: January 2023
- AAnonymous· February 19th, 2023We had a superb holiday with an excellent guide & driver (Erik & Emil), who were great fun and informative. All the stops and tours were interesting and pitched at the right level. Although you pay extra (booked during the tour), I would strongly... Show moreGJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review. We will make sure to pass on your praise to Eiríkur & Emil. All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: February 2023
- AAnonymous· February 19th, 2023An amazing holiday. Eric, our guide spoke fluent English and was extremely informative on all aspects of Icelandic history and culture and always kept us informed of time to next stop and how long stopping for. Emil, the bus driver was exceedingly... Show moreGJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much for your wonderful review and really nice to hear that your holiday here in Iceland was time well spent. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back one day. All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: February 2023
- DLDebra· February 19th, 2023This was an excellent tour. Our driver, Emil was the most perfect, considerate and safe driver with a good sense of humour as well as good knowledge of the sort of roads he was driving on. Eirikur, our tour guide was very experienced and knew exactly... Show moreGJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review! We're glad you enjoyed the tour and we will make sure to pass on your praise to Eiríkur and Emil! All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: February 2023
- AHalison· February 9th, 2023Gj travel organized a great itinerary. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable about the sights we were seeing as well as Icelandic food, history and folklore. Would highly recommend this tour company.GJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much for your kind words! Our goal is to send people home happy with good memories and it seems we were successful in your case. We will pass on your praise to Simone. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back one day. All the best from... Show moreTrip date: January 2023
- MRMichelle· February 5th, 2023Tour was excellent. Guide was so knowledgeable, flexible, funny. A trip of a lifetime!!GJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review. We will make sure to pass on your praise to Simone! All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: January 2023
- PKPhilip· January 25th, 2023This trip exceeded our expectations ! From our tour guide to the rest of the guests it was so awesome! We saw Northern Lights for several days and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the awesome experiences in Iceland!GJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed the tour and that you were able to witness the wonders that are the northern lights! All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: January 2023
- Lynne· December 21st, 2022Went to Iceland. Your was awesome, guide Petur was great. Only whine is the beginning/end hotel was not that great (esp compared to the other ones on the tour). But highly highly recommend for everyone.GJ Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed it! All the best from Iceland, Team GJ Travel.Trip date: December 2022
Dates & Availability
Take advantage of our 0% interest instalment plan on selected departures. Learn More
- Sunday2 Apr, 2023Sunday9 Apr, 2023GermanMultiple Room Types$1,750
- Friday7 Apr, 2023Friday14 Apr, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$1,750
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday8 Sep, 2023Friday15 Sep, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,3990% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday22 Sep, 2023Friday29 Sep, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,3990% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday1 Oct, 2023Sunday8 Oct, 2023GermanMultiple Room Types$2,1900% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday6 Oct, 2023Friday13 Oct, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,1900% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday20 Oct, 2023Friday27 Oct, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,1900% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday3 Nov, 2023Friday10 Nov, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,0360% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday5 Nov, 2023Sunday12 Nov, 2023GermanMultiple Room Types$2,0360% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationFriday17 Nov, 2023Friday24 Nov, 2023EnglishMultiple Room Types$2,0360% Interest Instalments
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the best time of the year to take this tour?
This tour only runs at optimal times during the year to ensure that the skies are dark enough to see the lights to their full effect. The sighting is heavily dependent on the cloud cover and the activity of the Aurora. This is often down to chance, and any time of the year that this tour runs offers an equal chance of a sighting.
September and October are the months we would recommend to anybody who prefers to avoid the extreme cold of an Arctic winter. November and December are very much a time of change in the Arctic and heralds the arrival of the first major snows of the winter. The snow does bring quite a bit of cloud cover but the shorter days also bring darker skies which increases the amount of time during which the Aurora might be visible. January to March are probably the three most popular months for Aurora hunting because they bring long dark nights and plenty of snow to play in during the daylight hours while you wait for darkness to fall!
- Are the Northern Lights guaranteed on this trip?
Northern Lights (called the Aurora Borealis) is a naturally occurring phenomenon. The appearance of the Northern Lights is notoriously difficult to predict any further in advance than about two hours before it happens. Therefore, it is important to understand that the tour operator won’t be able to guarantee the perfect weather conditions while on the tour. GJ travel will do everything they can to increase your chance of spotting the fabled lights, and the length of this tour means there will be numerous opportunities to see the Northern Lights, making a sighting likely!
This tour is packed with plenty of other amazing and unforgettable experiences which make it a once in a lifetime trip. You will visit the crystal ice cave in Vatnajökull, cruise the Breiðafjörður fjord, see the Geysir geothermal fields and learn all about the elusive Northern Lights.
Good to Know
- Iceland KronaIceland
- Plugs & Adapters
As a traveller from USA, Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa you will need an adaptor for types C, E, F.
- Type CIceland
- Type EIceland
- Type FIceland
- Unfortunately we cannot offer you a visa application service. Whether you need a visa or not depends on your nationality and where you wish to travel. Assuming your home country does not have a visa agreement with the country you're planning to visit, you will need to apply for a visa in advance of your scheduled departure.
- Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
- Payment information
- For any tour departing before May 27th, 2023 a full payment is necessary. For tours departing after May 27th, 2023, a minimum payment of 20% is required to confirm your booking with GJ Travel. The final payment will be automatically charged to your credit card on the designated due date. The final payment of the remaining balance is required at least 65 days prior to the departure date of your tour. TourRadar never charges you a booking fee and will charge you in the stated currency.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and GJ Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- The following cards are accepted for "GJ Travel" tours: Visa, Maestro, Mastercard, American Express or PayPal. TourRadar does NOT charge you an extra fee for using any of these payment methods.
- Cancellation Policy
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar is an authorised Agent of GJ Travel. Please familiarise yourself with the GJ Travel payment, cancellation and refund conditions.
- AccessibilitySome tours are not suitable for mobility-restricted traveller, however, some operators may be able to accommodate special requests. For any enquiries, you can contact our customer support team, who are ready and waiting to help you.
Keep Exploring Iceland
- Iceland Travel Guide | All You Need to Know
- Family Trip to Europe Itineraries (From 1 to 3 Weeks)
- Best Explorer Tours and Trips 2023/2024
- Iceland from Reykjavik
- Iceland Explorer
- 8 days Iceland
- Operators in Europe
- Iceland Northern Lights
- Scandinavia Northern Lights
- 8-Days Northern Lights Exploration Tours in Iceland
- Explorer Tours
- Iceland Northern Lights Tours
- Explorer Tours
- Active Adventure Tours
- Family Tours
- Northern Lights Tours
- Group Tours
- Partially Guided Tours
- Northern Lights
- Iceland Northern Lights
- Scandinavia Northern Lights
- Iceland tours