Northern Lights Escape
- +3 Destinations
- Iceland South Coast
- Rather Poor
- SSimoneWritten on March 20, 20184.0 - GoodMissed the northern lights, but it didn’t matter. There was so much more to this trip. Waterfalls, guisers, glaciers, black sand beaches. Such amazing, dramatic landscape. To an Australian, it’s so different - like visiting another planet. In December it was very icy. If I went again I would bring light rubber crampons. It would have been nice if there was a bit more of a food focus on this trip. Maybe give people the option to try Brennivin or fermented shark. Overall great trip, and met some cool, like minded people.Show detailed ratingsIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi Simone, Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we’re delighted to hear that you had a great time in Iceland. And thanks very much for your recommendations – we’ll definitely pass them along to the team. Hope to see you on another trip with us soon! Kind regards, Intrepid
- AAnonymousWritten on March 20, 20184.0 - GoodIceland is so dramatic and beautiful. We were there for 7 nights and unfortunately didn’t see the Northern Lights. But it there was so much more to see on this trip. Waterfalls, guisers, glaciers and black sand beaches. The landscape is breathtaking. To an Australian, it’s like being on other planet. It was not that cold, but there was a lot of ice and people slipped around a fair bit. If I went again I’d bring light rubber crampons. Also, our tour guide didnt seem that focussed on local food. I think offering people the chance to try things like Brennivin or fermented shark (as part of the tour) would be good. Overall very good trip, saw heaps and met some wonderful like minded travellers.Show detailed ratingsIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi, Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we’re delighted to hear that you had a great time in Iceland. It really is a spectacular country, isn’t it? Hope to see you on another trip with us soon! Kind regards, Intrepid
- RGRoslynWritten on January 13, 20184.0 - GoodGreat guide, saw lots of wonderful sights which made up for missing the Northern LightsShow detailed ratings
- LWLuraWritten on March 27, 20174.0 - GoodOur guide made our trip, period. His knowledge of the area and sense of humor were perfect. While passing through or stopping somewhere, he would tell us the Saga for that area so I wasn't just seeing it as it is today, I could imagine what it was like back then.Show detailed ratings
- JanisWritten on March 16, 20173.5 - GoodI opted for the private transport from the airport for 90 USD. I was told I would be met in Arrivals and the maximum wait time was an hour after my plane landed. Seventy minutes after landing, I decided to see if I could find someone to help me call. As soon as I left Arrivals, I found my driver waiting. It would have been nice to be told to wait just OUTSIDE of Arrivals. This was a colossal waste of my time and the driver's time. Also we got the alternative hotel, Hotel Cabin. It was pretty far from town and crawling with noisy teenagers. One night we had a large argument outside our door. I wonder what Hotel Klettur was like? The staff at this hotel was consistently curt, bordering on rude. I did not find them very helpful or friendly. We bought tickets in the hotel shop for transport to the Silica Hotel after our tour. We only got a paper receipt with the date on it, no time indicated. We were told to wait outside at 11:30 for a Flybus to take us to the bus station. When we showed the driver our receipt, he said we were not on his list and was not going to take us, except we were VERY insistent. However, Our tour guide was amazing and we all hired him to take us around on the fourth, free day. Speaking of days, I really do not consider this a six day tour. It's more like three days and a free day. I came in the day before my tour started. The actual first day of the tour was a half hour meeting at six PM, so I had two days to explore the city center. The last day is just to go home. I would consider this a 3-4 day tour, certainly NOT a six day tour.Show detailed ratings
- MBMichaelWritten on March 4, 20174.5 - ExcellentWe had a fantastic trip and saw all Iceland had to offer in terms of weather conditions in winter. Our guide, Havar, was tested on the first day as we were storm bound in Reykjavic until late afternoon. Nevertheless he rose to the occasion with an extended tour of the city! Despite losing the first day's itinerary Havar worked hard to ensure that we fitted in everything that we had missed during the following two days. He was a star! Accommodation was basic but clean and comfortable, all we needed. The transport in the minibus was fine and again, Havar put considerable effort into driving us safely despite the wind and snow and quite long shifts at the wheel. The winter scenery was stunning in many places. The weather could change very quickly and we enjoyed two full days of sunshine as well as the storms, and a clear sky on our last night with Havar gave us a great chance to see (and attempt to photograph) the Northern Lights, he managed to find us good vantage points away from the crowds. Thanks Intrepid, and especially thanks Havar.Show detailed ratings
- MariaWritten on February 25, 20174.0 - GoodGreat trip, all went to plan transport and accommodations had a great bunch of poeple to share my experience in Iceland.Show detailed ratings
- StephenWritten on March 2, 20164.0 - GoodIceland is a beautiful country in its own right. I saw and photographed multiple parts of it never ending landscape. It just seemed to keep going, whilst occasionally offering you glimpses of untamed Icelandic horses or Raindeer. Glaciers, vast icy regions and amazing coastal regions all form part of this awesome landscape. I didn't see the Northern lights in the end, but did I care, not really. On a separate note I would happily revisit for the blue lagoon alone. I think if I lived there I would be there I would be there everyday. The only negative was some chicken served to me in a restaurant near Hofn. This did not however effect what I thought of the overall trip which was excellent.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Reykjavik
- Day 2: Reykjavik / Golden Circle / Hvolsvollur Area
- Day 3: South Coast / Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
- Day 4: Skaftafell National Park / Vik
- Day 5: Reykjavik
- Day 6: Reykjavik
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Main Page Video
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Are the Northern Lights guaranteed on this trip?
The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis as they are also referred to are one of the many natural wonders of the world and are a natural phenomenon
As a naturally occurring phenomenon, the appearance of the Northern Lights is notoriously difficult to predict any further in advance than about two hours before it happens. So much is dependent on solar activity, we can accurately predict neither when they will occur nor how frequently.
Every endeavour will be made on this trip to see the Northern Lights however this is not guaranteed.
Do you have any customised Iceland tours?
Unfortunately we do not have any customised trips available in this region. The trips available are set itineraries and group tours.
Is it possible to have an extra night accommodation?
We can arrange an extra night in a single room per person, per night with taxes included. Please contact us to arrange this.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Sheila11th May 2018
Northern Lights Escape
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
- January 2020
- February 2020
- March 2020
- TuesdayOct 30, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysSundayNov 4, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- WednesdayOct 31, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysMondayNov 5, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- ThursdayNov 1, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysTuesdayNov 6, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$60USD $1,440
- FridayNov 2, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysWednesdayNov 7, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- SaturdayNov 3, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysThursdayNov 8, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- SundayNov 4, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysFridayNov 9, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- MondayNov 5, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysSaturdayNov 10, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$61USD $1,469
- TuesdayNov 6, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysSundayNov 11, 2018to ReykjavikOnly 1 seat left$61USD $1,469Book Now Hold my
- WednesdayNov 7, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysMondayNov 12, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$59USD $1,416
- ThursdayNov 8, 2018from Reykjavik6 DaysTuesdayNov 13, 2018to Reykjavik0 seats left$60USD $1,430
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Reykjavik.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Intrepid Travel to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this Intrepid Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 16 October 2018 the full payment of $1,334 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1334 for Northern Lights Escape, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Intrepid Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
- 92 km
- Hvolsvollur (Iceland)
- 43 km
- Skogafoss (Iceland)
- 138 km
- Skaftafell (Iceland)
- 239 km
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,334 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 8,984 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 7 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Northern Lights Escape
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Alternate Joining point
Finish point instructions
Alternate Finish point
Why we love it
Is this trip right for you
Food and dietary requirements
What to take
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers