Ancient & Modern Japan
- Tour Operator:
- Exodus Travels
- Max group size:
- Age range:
- 16 to 99
- Operated in:
- Tour id:
Pay over time
Pay over time
TourRadar makes your next trip easier to book by letting you pay over time without any interest or extra fees.
Divide your payments
Pay smaller amounts every two weeks until your departure.
No interest or extra fees
You don't pay any interest or extra fees.
For select departures only
Check Dates & Availability to see which departures offer our instalment option.
Places You’ll See
- Miyajima Island
- Enjoy the atmospheric Kyoto
- Feed deers in Nara Koen Park
- visit Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima
- Explore Takayama's morning market
Ready-to-book adventures, personalized
Make your adventure more you
Enjoy a tour focused solely on your travel group
Access our Travel Experts’ insider knowledge
Travel within your own bubble
- Day 1: Start Kyoto
- Day 2: Visit Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion), Ryoanji temple and Nijo castle; followed by Nishiki Market and historic Gion
- Day 3: Day trip to Nara, ancient capital of Japan. Visit impressive UNESCO temples including Toda-ji, housing the world's largest bronze statue of the Buddha
- Day 4: Free day in Kyoto; relax in one of the many zen gardens, walk the popular Philosopher Path or experience a traditional tea ceremony
- Day 5: Day trip to Hiroshima; visit Peace Memorial Park and the pretty island of Miyajima
- Day 6: Travel from Kyoto to Takayama, a traditional old town set amid the 'Japanese Alps'; visit the Hida Folk Village
- Day 7: Orientation tour in Takayama and free day to explore its peaceful shrines and temples
- Day 8: On to the mediaeval village of Tsumago; short leisurely walk on the Nakasendo trail; train to Matsumoto
- Day 9: Visit the famous Matsumoto Castle and travel by train to spa town of Yudanaka; soak in a hot spring
- Day 10: See the famous Snow Monkeys before travelling by train to Tokyo; evening orientation tour
- Day 11: Optional trip to Hakone and Mount Fuji or to the lovely seaside town of Kamakura
- Day 12: A full day city tour of Tokyo including the Senso-ji Temple
- Day 13: Free day for further exploration; optional karaoke farewell night
- Day 14: End Tokyo
- Additional Services
- Additional Services
Where You'll Stay
- Overall RatingExcellent
- Most Recent
- Most Popular
- Highest First
- Lowest First
- OMOrlando· May 6th, 2019The positive: The tour covered a large number of very beautiful and interesting places and provided a rich overview of both classic and modern Japan. As such the tour fulfills the promise of its title and description. Most of the members of our 14... Show moreTrip date: March 2019
- SHSusan· March 30th, 2019The tour covered most of the things I wished to see in Japan and more. Ayaka was brilliant taking us to various destinations on trains, buses, a ferry and the metro in Tokyo without losing any of us. Our trip to Mount Fuji was superb. The rain stopped... Show moreTrip date: March 2019
- NDNena· December 9th, 2018The itinerary was packed full but this allowed us to see so much around Japan in a short period of time. Lots of walking and use of public transport but that was apart of the fun. Our tour leader Yōko was sweet, organised and helpful in any situation.... Show moreTrip date: November 2018
- LJLinda· June 5th, 2017My tour of Modern and Ancient Japan was amazing. Great communications, coordination, accommodations, and tour guide that was exceptional!Trip date: May 2017
- LJLinda· June 5th, 2017My tour of Japan for 16 days was all and more than I expected. Communications was excellent, coordination and actual program was wonderful. Our tour guide was not only personable, but professional, competent, and very supportive.Trip date: May 2017
- AAnn Fortune (nee Sainter)· January 3rd, 2013This trip was a great mix of guided time and time (with planning assistance) to do our own thing. We got to see an enormous range of places and the use of public transport meant we got comfortable and confident with getting ourselves around very... Show moreReview collected by Exodus Travels
- AGillian Hobbs· January 2nd, 2013The Ancient and Modern Japan trip exceeded our expectations. The balance between urban and more rural life was excellent as was the travel on local transit and the free time to explore on our own. Both guides (Catherine and Alexi) were outstanding.What... Show moreReview collected by Exodus Travels
- AFiona Lovatt· September 2nd, 2012A really fantastic trip covering many varied aspects of Japan, with so many opportunities to learn about the country and culture as every day was fascinating. I left with so many amazing memories.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?There... Show moreReview collected by Exodus Travels
- AAngelika Hayward· May 15th, 2012I really enjoyed visiting this fascinating country. There were many new impressions and images. Japan is quite different to the other countries in Asia that I have visited so far. What I missed on the trip was a view from the inside. Although our tour... Show moreReview collected by Exodus Travels
- ARobert Salmon· April 22nd, 2012We enjoyed every minute of it. It combined a wealth of opportunites to get closer to an understanding of the Japanese view of life with many of the 'must see' sites. Add to that the exposure to a fantastic cuisine and a great bunch of fellow travelers,... Show moreReview collected by Exodus Travels
Dates & Availability
Book With Flexibility
You're not locked in! Make changes to your dates or switch tours. Learn More
Take advantage of our 0% interest instalment plan on selected departures. Learn More
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday19 Sep, 2021EnglishSaturday2 Oct, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,199Book With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday3 Oct, 2021EnglishSaturday16 Oct, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,6790% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday10 Oct, 2021EnglishSaturday23 Oct, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,8490% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday17 Oct, 2021EnglishSaturday30 Oct, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,8490% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationMonday18 Oct, 2021EnglishSunday31 Oct, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,6790% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday24 Oct, 2021EnglishSaturday6 Nov, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,6790% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday7 Nov, 2021EnglishSaturday20 Nov, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,6790% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday14 Nov, 2021EnglishSaturday27 Nov, 2021Multiple Room Types$6,6790% Interest InstalmentsBook With Flexibility
- Get Instant ConfirmationSunday13 Mar, 2022EnglishSaturday26 Mar, 2022Multiple Room Types$6,8490% Interest Instalments
- Get Instant ConfirmationMonday14 Mar, 2022EnglishSunday27 Mar, 2022Multiple Room Types$6,8490% Interest Instalments
Frequently Asked Questions
- When and where does the tour end?
- When and where does the tour start?
- What are the optional excursions?
- Can you assist with booking additional accommodation?
- What is the age range?
- Is there a hotel list available?
- Are the flights included?
- Do I need a visa?
- Do you arrange airport transfers?
- I'm a solo traveller, is there a single supplement?
Good to Know
- Plugs & Adapters
- Payment information
- Cancellation Policy
- Discover TourRadar
Keep Exploring Japan
- Japan Travel Guide
- 2 Week (14 Days) Japan Travel Itineraries & Cost 2021
- 8 Best Train Travel Companies (Based on 390 Reviews)
- Japan from Kyoto
- Japan Train & Rail
- Small group tour
- 14 days Japan
- From Kyoto to Tokyo
- Operators in Asia
- Southern Japan
- Train & Rail tours
- Honshu tours
- Japan tours
- Central Japan
- Southern Japan