Japan: Land of the Rising Sun
- Our saving
- US $ 3,876
- +4 Destinations
- Central Japan
- Feast on traditional Japanese cuisine
- Visit the Hiroshima Peace Park
- Catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji
- Explore Kyoto's 2,000 temples
- Age range
- 15 to 99 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Train & Rail, Coach / Bus, Boat, Local Transport, Plane, Ferry
- Travel style
- In-depth Cultural, Train & Rail
- Rather Poor
- DDavidWritten on November 13, 20161.0 - BadI have done many tours. See reviews in Tripadvisor under Daventurer. Intrepid/Venture Tours- if you removed the romanticized language and sales jargon, this is what you may get. 14 day tour really means 12 days as the first day starts at 6pm and the last day ends at morning hotel checkout. Also be mindful that only 2 meals are included in the 12 days. Add another $1000 to the price? 'Optional' should be read as 'Suggested'- don't expect a guide or organized transport/tickets. The only exception may be for the drinkers and clubbers as the guide may party with you in the last couple of nights. The rest will have to entertain themselves in a foreign city. The promised JR rail pass did not arrive until day 5, so be prepared for lots of standing and stopping in crowded slow public buses and trains and waiting in stations. All this means fewer daylight hours for 'free time', 'Options' or sightseeing. If you do raise concerns about deviations from the paid itinerary, then be prepared to be oustracized by the guide and ignored by head office. Romanticized terms such as traditional Ryokans could be read as Youth hostels with communal toilets and showers and even face-wash basins in the hallway. 'Adventure' tour could be read as 'don't expect too much informed knowledge about history or culture'.Show detailed ratingsIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi David, We are so sorry to hear about your experiences on the Land of the Rising Sun trip. We truly value your feedback and want to make this right. We are keen to pass this information along to our customer relations and operations team to avoid a similar situation on future departures. Could you please email us at customerrelations@IntrepidTravel.com?
- CPCliftonWritten on August 9, 20163.5 - GoodThe tour was structured and well paced - perhaps a bit too long in Hiroshima and Kyoto, which could have been used on another location. Guide was competent, and happy to provide assistance to arrange and schedule day trips, as well as give advice about where was worth visiting on our own.Show detailed ratings
- JJJohannesWritten on July 24, 20163.0 - AverageWe booked this trip for a number of reasons: 1 to be navigated through the transport system; this was successful 2 to be directed or led to the main sights; also successful 3 to have pre-arranged good accommodation: mediocre 4 to sample good Japanese food: some good and some badShow detailed ratings
- LLaurenWritten on May 2, 20165.0 - ExcellentI had an amazing time on this trip. It was a great group of people of mixed ages all travelling to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Japan. Our guide was amazing and was happy to seek out specialty restaurants of shops if we wanted to try something we had read, seen or heard about. I would not have had so many amazing experiences if I had travelled by myself. I made some new friends and continue to email them about our next trip plans. Our traditional accommodation was great and I felt like we were really staying in a locals home and not a touristy hotel. Highlight of the trip had to be the Hiroshima Peace Park - such beauty after tragedy. This is not to be missed. Love Japan so much!Show detailed ratings
- MNMarkWritten on April 26, 20165.0 - ExcellentJapan is fantastic! the food, people, sights! I cannot say enough good things about this. The country is def expensive so i found after computing the cost to do on my own, i was making out MUCH BETTER going with a group. And this trip seemed to cover everything i wanted to do/see. I seriously ate my weight in sashimi! I thought the organization and accommodation we had was far better than i was expecting. We stayed in a traditional ryokan with a naturally fed outdoor onsen (hot spring). simply magical experience. AND our guide was so much fun! she really helped everyone capture the highlights of this country. Loving my beer, she steered me to this booming craft beer scene often overlooked. Simply sensational! The trip would not have been nearly as beneficial without Mayuko! Thanks Intrepid and thank you TourRadar!!!Show detailed ratings
- ATAndrewWritten on April 22, 20165.0 - ExcellentWOW! What an amazing place and out local guide Yuri was AWESOME! She knew everything, ask a question and she would give you an answer. I loved Japan, I would of struggled to do so much without being part of an organised tour and the language barrier would of been a huge barrier. DO THIS TRIP, IT IS JUST WOW!Show detailed ratings
- CchanelleWritten on November 27, 20155.0 - ExcellentI was blown away by the culture, the food, the local leaders knowledge and the ease of getting around in a group. I would never do Japan on my own, it was a challenge doing a few nights by myself and trying to just navigate the subway system.Show detailed ratings
- NathanWritten on November 15, 20144.5 - ExcellentGreat tour to get a taste of Japan!Show detailed ratings
- LouiseWritten on August 9, 20124.5 - ExcellentI can honestly say that if I went to Japan any other way than this trip I would not have gained such an amazing insight into Japan culture, highlights and people! An amazing trip enjoyed every day!Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on January 13, 20114.0 - GoodTrip was good but it went to too many temples/shrines which got boring after the first couple. Could have done with more night activities. Our guide was good and very helpful.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Tokyo
- Day 2: Tokyo/Nikko
- Day 3: Nikko
- Day 4: Hakone
- Day 5: Hakone
- Day 6: Takayama
- Day 7: Takayama
- Day 8: Hiroshima
- Day 9: Hiroshima
- Day 10: Hiroshima
- Day 11: Kyoto
- Day 12: Kyoto
- Day 13: Kyoto
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Main Page Video
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
We are in our young seventies, can we still join the trip? We don't want an oldies trip.
Intrepid has an open age policy so you can join. The groups are usually mixed age so it wouldn't be an oldies trip.
What is the minimum age required to join this tour?
The minimum age on this tour is 15 years old.
Is this tour land only? What about transportation between stops?
The tour consists of a few different modes of transport, the most common though would be via train.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Hamish13th March 2018
Japan: Land of the Rising Sun
- Upcoming departures
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- SaturdayAug 25, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdaySep 6, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$176USD $4,224
- SaturdaySep 1, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdaySep 13, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$181USD $4,349
- SaturdaySep 8, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdaySep 20, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$181USD $4,349
- SaturdaySep 15, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdaySep 27, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$183USD $4,392
- TuesdaySep 18, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysSundaySep 30, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$187USD $4,478
- SaturdaySep 22, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdayOct 4, 2018to KyotoOnly 1 seat left$198USD $4,742
- SaturdaySep 29, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdayOct 11, 2018to Kyoto0 seats left$198USD $4,742
- WednesdayOct 3, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysMondayOct 15, 2018to KyotoOnly 1 seat left$199USD $4,786
- SaturdayOct 6, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdayOct 18, 2018to Kyoto9 seats left$874$4,750-18%USD $3,876
- SaturdayOct 13, 2018from Tokyo13 DaysThursdayOct 25, 2018to Kyoto6 seats left$187USD $4,478
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tokyo is the starting point and Kyoto is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Intrepid Travel to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this Intrepid Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 19 October 2018 the full payment of $3,876 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $3876 for Japan: Land of the Rising Sun, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Intrepid Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Tokyo (Japan)
- 111 km
- Nikko (Japan)
- 176 km
- Hakone (Japan)
- 190 km
- Takayama (Japan)
- 478 km
- Hiroshima (Japan)
- 311 km
- Kyoto (Japan)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $3,876 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 5,418 tours in Asia
- covered by 254 different operators in Asia
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 9 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Japan: Land of the Rising Sun
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Alternate Finish point
Alternate Finish point
Alternate Finish point instructions
Why we love it
Is this trip right for you
Food and dietary requirements
What to take
Climate and seasonal
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers