How strenuous is Machu Picchu?
Trail by trail
|The Lares Trek||Moderate|
|The Salkantay Trek||Difficult|
|The Choquequirao Trek||Difficult|
|The Vilcabamba Trek||Difficult|
|The Huchuy Qosqo Trek||Moderate|
|The Quarry Trail||Difficult|
How to climb Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley
How do I prepare for Machu Picchu?
The best way to prepare for a trek to Machu Picchu is to participate in plenty of cardiovascular activity. Activities such as swimming, cycling, or long-distance running will place you in a strong position to complete the trek with ease. Remember; a happy heart makes for a happy hiker. Learn more.
When should I climb Machu Picchu?
Machu Picchu can be climbed year-round, but travellers should be aware that the Inca Trail is closed in February every year for necessary maintenance. The most popular time to hike the Inca Trail, for example, is June-August and is known to be quite crowded. Learn more.
What permits do I need?
Only 500 permits are allocated per day for the Inca Trail due to the overwhelming popularity of the route and must be booked in advance. Other trails and routes in the area do not need a permit. Learn more.
Do I need a guide to climb?
From 2001, it is a compulsory requirement that travellers on the Inca Trail, in particular, must travel with a registered guide. Many of the alternative trails, however, do not require a guide, and you are able to hike as you wish unassisted. Learn more.
How do I get to Machu Picchu?
The best way for travellers to reach Machu Picchu is to fly into Cusco, Peru. Spending a few days in Cusco prior to embarking on a trek to Machu Picchu will help travellers acclimate, and reduce the impacts of altitude sickness. Learn more.
What should I pack and what equipment do I need?
Walking poles, hiking boots, waterproof clothing and plenty of layers are just a few of the essentials that you will need for your hiking adventure. As for tents and cooking equipment, be sure to check with your tour operator as this may be provided for you. Learn more.
Machu Picchu tours & reviews
Cusco & Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu
8 days from $1,899 $950
- Learn the art of weaving in the rainbow city of Chinchero
- Reward yourself with a well-deserved meal in Cuzco
- Challenge yourself and hike to the iconic Machu Picchu
- Meet the welcoming locals at timeless mountain villages
Inca Trail 5 Days
5 days from $1,598 $799
Inca Trail connection lares to Machu Picchu
4 days from $1,450 $725
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu - 8 Days
8 days from $1,840 $920
- Challenge yourself and hike the Salkantay Trail
- Admire the serene natural beauty of the Sacred Valley
- Celebrate your victory with 'that' photo of Machu Picchu
- Trek through the picturesque scenery of the Andes
- Special Offer - Salkantay Trekking
5 days from $710 $355
Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu 4 days
4 days from $758 $379
4 Days Inca Trail to Machu Picchu from Cusco Tour
4 days from $1,560 $780
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 7 days
7 days from $1,960 $980
- Tick off your bucket list with a hike of the Inca Trail
- Celebrate your victory with "that" photo of Machu Picchu
- Watch a sensational sunrise from above the clouds
- Marvel in the picture-perfect scenery of the Sacred Valley