Walking in Madeira
Save up to 75% across the globe
ends on 26 Sep 2018
- Our saving
- US $ 869
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
Start in Funchal and end in London! With the hiking & trekking tour Walking in Madeira, you have a 8 day tour package taking you through Funchal, Portugal and 7 other destinations in Europe. Walking in Madeira includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
59 ReviewsWrite a review
- AnonymousWritten on October 8, 20135.0 - ExcellentExcellent walks with a very good, knowledgeable guide (Andrea). Good quality hotels. Nice to have final day to myself in Funchal. Need a good head for heights!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The long walk across the mountains from Santana was best part, starting with the sunrise.What did you think of your group leader?Here I would like to say that the guide (Andrea) was first rate and his interest in photography was a real bonus along with his vast knowledge of flora and fauna.
- AnonymousWritten on April 21, 20135.0 - ExcellentA lovely, relaxing holiday with a variety of walks in beautiful and varied countryside. Andre, our guide, enthused us with his knowledge of the flora, fauna and history of his beloved Madeira.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?So many, but watching the sun rise above the clouds at Acada de Teixeira just pipped several other highlights!What did you think of your group leader?Andre was the ideal guide, was very personable, knowledgeable and looked after us in every way.Â Thanks Andre!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Don't set your expectations of Madeiran food too high!Is there anything else you would like to add?Thanks to EXODUS Â for an excellent holida and to Andre and the other 10 members of my group for such excellent and entertaining company throughout.
- AnonymousWritten on April 17, 20135.0 - ExcellentFantastic holiday – we did 5 walks that were all between 8-16km (with one day off in beautiful Funchal), and these are, IMO correctly graded as "Moderate". They which were challenging enough so you’d feel sufficiently tired and like you’ve accomplished something by the end of the day, but not too hard, so you don't need to be an experienced mountain climber to cope. Our group got along really well, and the weather was perfect for walking – sunshine on most days, 20 degrees and a warm breeze. A success all round! What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Watching the sun come up at the top of the mountains. We were above the clouds - magical!What did you think of your group leader?Our guide was superb â€“ a local who had grown up on the island, and who was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about its beautiful landscape, nature and culture. Everything was extremely well organised, our guide looked very well after us (both in terms of safety and general advice on where to eat, shop etc.). Friendly, funny and very patient. A real credit to Exodus.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?April/May seems a good time to visit - not too hot for walking and lots of flowers and plants in bloom. Madeira is still a bit of an unknown in tourism, so not too overrun. Do bring a swimsuit even in April - even though it was only 19 degrees, the humidity meant that it felt warm enough to go for a swim!
- AnonymousWritten on April 17, 20134.0 - GoodWe enjoyed long hikes and beautiful scenery. It was especially nice because each hike went to a location that was completely different from the other hikes. Our guide was knowledgeable and attentive. The people of Madeira were warm and friendly.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The morning we got up early to have a hike and watch the sunrise.Â We were on a mountain peak with clouds at our feet and waited to watch the sunrise.Â It was beautiful.Â A moment we won't forget.What did you think of your group leader?He was very knowledgeable.Â He advised us when we needed to take care and kept an eye onÂ the entire group and assessed each of our abilities.Â He was a pleasure to listen to and answered all of our questions.Â He had a great personality and was easy going and had a great sense of humor.Â We all enjoyed him veryÂ much.Â Also, he was very accurate on telling us the length of hikes, the time it would take, what we should wear or have in our backpacks (just in case), etc.Â He was also always willing to suggest restaurants for lunches and dinners.Â When hiking, if he saw other groups, he was good at keeping us either ahead or well behind them.Â He was always able to find us a quiet spot for our picnics on the hikes.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Be in shape.Â Take snacks for your hikes since the box lunches provided by hotels aren't very good (unless you like a lot of bread).Â You can buy great fresh fruit, veg, nuts, crackers, etc., at local stores.Â Â Layer clothing, in the mornings you may be cold, but once you hike, you warm up.Â Also, depending on if you are on the north or south sides of a mountain, you might be in sun one moment and then shade the next.Â Also, breezes cool you down instantly.Â We all had backpacks and found ourselves switching clothes quite regularly on each hike.Is there anything else you would like to add?Some hiking is a real workout.Â The view from high elevations won't disappoint.Â Also, great stress relieving trip due to the strenuous, but enjoyable, hikes.Â Also, we were shocked to learn that there are over 50 trails in Madeira.Â Most maps show 50+ and our guide told us there are probably 50 more trails that aren't even on the maps.Â We did 5 hikes and every one was completely different from the others.Â Every one was unique and beautiful in it's own way.Â We wouldn't have wanted to miss any of them.Â Downtime is minimal but enough to recharge and relax.Â At the end, we had almost 2 full day in Funchal and it was a great place to have the extra time because there is so much to see and do there.Â Make sure to take the cable cars up to Monte and then ride a wicker toboggan down - you'll have a blast!!!
- AnonymousWritten on April 17, 20135.0 - ExcellentFantastic holiday
- AnonymousWritten on January 5, 20134.0 - GoodA lovely holiday with a great group of people. The guide was very enthusiastic, clearly loved his job and made us all laugh! The views were amazing and the daily walking always enjoyable, we were all tired at the end of the day but that didn't stop us having a great meal together in the evening! The accomodation on the last 2 nights was disappointing otherwise it was fantastic- my first exodus holiday....I'm about to book another!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Walking high up in the mountains on narrow ledges but with the most amazing views, there was something new to see every day.What did you think of your group leader?Fantastic, he really enjoyed his job, was enthusiastic about everything and made us laugh!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Take enough light weight clothing, if it rains they dry out quickly!Is there anything else you would like to add?Thoroughly enjoyable, would highly recommend
- AnonymousWritten on November 9, 20125.0 - ExcellentAn excellent walking holiday, a variety of walks in varied stunning scenery with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic gude and a very friendly groupWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The walk along the Ponta de San Lourenco was spectacular, on the other walks the steep terraces, amazing plants and beautiful wooded valleys were an endless source of wonder. The waterfalls were spectacular!What did you think of your group leader?Andrea was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. When we had very bad weather and we couldn't do the planned walks he worked extremely hard to devise a plan B and on one occasionÂ plans C and D too. We were very unlucky with the weather but he did his best to ensure we saw as much of Madeira as we could. He was safety conscious and very supportive when vertigo struck unexpectedly.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Suggest you bring a knife to help make your sandwiches- a fork too if you want tinned fish for your picnic.Do remember to take a good torch- it really is neededAnd remember- it can rain - Madeira is very green so do bring good waterproofs- jacket and trousers so you can enjoy the walks if it does rain
- AnonymousWritten on May 8, 20125.0 - Excellent
- AnonymousWritten on May 8, 20125.0 - Excellent
- AnonymousWritten on April 17, 20125.0 - ExcellentHad a fantastic trip. Very well organised. Excellent company (8 in our group). Transferred with the luggage to Funchal - Andre arranged it all with no problems.Visited Monte garden and Botanic garden by cable car.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Machico.
- Day 2: Walk along Ponta de Sao Lourenco, where rocks contrast with the blue of the ocean.
- Day 3: Spectacular walk along the north coast path to the fishing village of Porto da Cruz.
- Day 4: Transfer to Queimadas; walk along Levada do Caldeirao Verde to the remote village of Ilha.
- Day 5: Early departure for sunrise at Achada do Teixeira; ascend the island's highest mountain, Pico Ruivo; follow a stone staircase down to Encumeada.
- Day 6: High level walk through beautiful chestnut and eucalyptus woods to Corticeiras; panoramic local bus ride to Funchal.
- Day 7: Free day to visit the bustling 'Mercado dos Lavradores' (workers' market), Sé Cathedral or for wine tasting in Madeira's Wine Lodge.
- Day 8: End Funchal.
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Amanda15th May 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Walking in Madeira
Select Departure Month
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- December 2018
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- SaturdayOct 20, 2018from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayOct 27, 2018to LondonOnly 1 seat left$136$1,005-14%USD $869
- SaturdayDec 22, 2018from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayDec 29, 2018to LondonOnly 1 seat left$136$1,005-14%USD $869Book Now Hold my
- SaturdayFeb 9, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayFeb 16, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayFeb 16, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayFeb 23, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayFeb 23, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayMar 2, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayMar 16, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayMar 23, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayMar 23, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayMar 30, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayApr 6, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayApr 13, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayMay 11, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayMay 18, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
- SaturdayJun 8, 2019from Funchal8 DaysSaturdayJun 15, 2019to London8 seats left$138$1,055-13%USD $917
Show more departures
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- Pound sterlingEngland
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Portugal. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Funchal is the starting point and London is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 21 November 2018 the full payment of $869 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $869 for Walking in Madeira, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 2,544 km.
- Funchal (Portugal)
- 14 km
- Machico (Portugal)
- 5 km
- Porto da Cruz (Portugal)
- 5 km
- Santana (Portugal)
- 5 km
- Achada do Teixeira (Portugal)
- 2 km
- Pico Ruivo (Portugal)
- 5 km
- Curral das Freiras (Portugal)
- 7 km
- Funchal (Portugal)
- 2,499 km
- London (England)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $869 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,841 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 21,955 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Europe tours