Langtang ValleySee all Langtang tours
Considered to be one of the world’s most beautiful valleys, the Langtang Valley trek lives up to the hype. This particular route has long been a favoured trek among hikers and mountaineers, due to its vast, sweeping views that stretch as far as the eye can see. The 2015 earthquake and landslide had a devastating effect on the region. However, it is now under reconstruction, and by selecting this route over the more popular routes you will be supporting the local communities in rebuilding the area by providing much-needed income to rebuild in a sustainable and secure way.
As for the difficulty rating of this out-and-back route, it is considered to be an easy to moderate trek, meaning that anyone who is in good health should be able to comfortably enjoy this route. So, what are you waiting for?
- The location: Most tour itineraries will start in Kathmandu and include a seven-hour drive passing the Annapurna Himalayas to the Langtang Valley where the route will start. The official starting point is at Syabru Besi.
- Highest point: The highest point for this route will be at Tserko Ri, which will reach an altitude of 5,000m.
- Duration: The Langtang Valley trek can be completed in as little as 7 days and up to 15 days. If you can allow time for a longer trek, this is advised as it will allow more time for you to get acclimated as you trek.
- Trail conditions: On this particular trek, you will be walking past rhododendron forests, passing small communities and settlements, wander along open valleys before reaching the jagged glaciers and panoramic views of the Langtang Valley surrounding you.
Langtang Valley difficulty rating & trekking requirements
Difficulty rating: MODERATE
Previous trekking experience is highly recommended, as the days will feature 6-8 hours hiking with daily ascents of 900m to 1,000m, perhaps with the odd day ascending around 1,100m to 1,200m. Depending on the route, you may be trekking at an altitude of over 3,500m. You need complete confidence in your ability to trek for many days over difficult terrain. Extremes of altitude and weather may be encountered, as may the use of ice axes and crampons. A degree of physical and mental stamina will be essential to complete the hike as the days will be tiring.
While this trek is classed as a moderate trail, most hikers with some experience should be able to complete the journey.
Langtang Valley trek itinerary
|DAY||START||ALTITUDE (M/FT)||FINISH||ALTITUDE (M/FT)||TIME (HRS)||DISTANCE (KM/MI)|
|1||Syabrubesi||1,460m/ 4,790ft||Lama Hotel||2,470m/ 8,103ft||6-7||11km/|
|2||Lama Hotel||2,470m/ 8,103ft||Langtang valley||3,430m/ 11,253ft||6-7||14km|
|3||Langtang valley||3,430m/ 11,253ft||Kyanjin Gompa||3,800 m/ 12,467ft||3-4||7km|
|4||Kyanjin Gompa||3,800 m/ 12,467ft||Tserko Ri||5000m/ 16,404ft|
|Tserko Ri||5000m/ 16,404ft||Kyanjin Gompa||3,800 m/ 12,467ft||8-9|
|5||Kyanjin Gompa||3,800 m/ 12,467ft||Lama Hotel||2,470m/ 8,103ft||6-7||21km|
|6||Lama Hotel||2,470m/ 8,103ft||Syabrubesi||1,460m/ 4,790ft||5-6||11km|
Langtang Valley tips
- Before you start planning your trek to Nepal, make sure your passport is valid for at least six months, and be sure to check the visa entry requirements before you travel.
- Do not trek alone unless you are an experienced trekker or mountaineer.
- Avoid drinking water straight from the tap as this is likely to cause an upset stomach. Use water purification tablets or purchase bottled water.
- Before your trek, try to embark on a few practice camping trips to get familiar with your surroundings.
- Pack a universal plug and voltage adapter kit for your electronics. Nepal uses 220V.
- Invest in a sturdy pair of hiking boots and make sure you wear them in before your hike.
- Don’t forget to stop and take it the view along the way to the summit. After all, the journey is the best part.
Nepalese Himalayas routes
- Poon Hill. Distance: 51 km, average duration: 4-5 days
- Annapurna Base Camp. Distance: 110 km, average duration: 7-10 days
- Everest Base Camp. Distance: 130 km, average duration: 12-16 days
- Manaslu Circuit. Distance: 177 km, average duration: 13-17 days
- Makalu Base Camp. Average duration: 18-22 days
- Upper Mustang Trek. Average duration: 10-12 days
- Langtang Valley. Distance: 120 km, average duration: 7-11 days
- Three Passes Trek. Distance: 166 km, average duration: 18-20 days