La Tomatina Tours & Trips
La Tomatina is an epic Spanish festival held every August near Valencia in the quaint town of Buñol. Chances are, you’ve probably never experienced anything quite like this wild and thrilling event. Buñol’s population of 9,000 triples as visitors from across the globe come to join in the world’s largest food fight.
What happens at La Tomatina
Tomato FightAt exactly 11 am, a cannon is fired to announce the start of the world’s largest food fight, and the tomato throwing mayhem begins. The food fight is full of frenzy, cheer, excitement, and a hint of anarchy. Some lucky food fighters may even score a position on top of one of the tomato delivery trucks: a prime tomato-throwing position. The food fight lasts exactly one hour in the town square, which becomes completely saturated in tomatoes. During the fight, locals cheer on combatants from the sidelines. Some observers will stand on rooftops and dump buckets of water onto the food fighters below.
Aftermath & PartyThe fight concludes at the sound of the second cannon at noon. Afterwards, local fire trucks hose down the streets. Participants can wash-up using the designated showers on site, or opt for a quicker clean-up with hoses provided by the locals. After the fight you may want to head back to your hotel, clean up, rest up, and nurse your tomato bruises. However, if you’re still feeling invigorated, head to the Tomatina After Party in Valencia and dance the night away with your fellow La Tomatina anarchists! Tickets can be purchased online or at the door, and range from €20 to €60. Show up early before the crowds get out of control!
Jabon ChallengeOn the morning of the famous food fight and before the battle officially begins, the first event of the day is the “Palo Jabón”. The name of the game is to successfully reach the top of a greasy pole before anyone else and release the ham that's been tied up there. Locals and tourists alike embrace the challenge to climb the pole and claim the giant leg of ham, or simply drop it to the ground. Traditionally, the fight cannot commence until the ham is claimed.
Popular La Tomatina Tours
How to get to Valencia & Buñol
La Tomatina Essentials
- Eat a hearty breakfast before the fight and hydrate
- Remember to play fair and by the rules
- Wear comfortable, close toed shoes - the streets are packed, messy and slippery!
- Wear goggles or cheap sunglasses to protect your eyes
- Wear white clothes that you’re OK with discarding (the white will help show-off the tomato mess)
- Wear sunscreen, August in Spain is hot!
- Purchase a waterproof case for your camera and/or phone
- Bring a change of clean clothes for afterwards
- Smash your tomatoes before throwing them so they are squishier and don’t hurt your friendly opponents
- Book your ticket and accommodations or tour early