Greece is hands down one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and films such as Mamma Mia made that pretty clear. From delectable food to timelessly charming architecture, it’s a little slice of heaven. But if there’s one thing Greece has quickly become known for, it’s the beauty of their dream-like beaches.
Travel to: Greece
With water so blue it almost looks fake and sand so white it’s like walking on a cloud, it’s no surprise travellers have added Greece and its beaches to their travel list – and that includes families that travel together. The good news? With so many amazing beaches to choose from, dozens of them have become top touring destinations for travellers with families, including those with young children.
Of course, all of Greece’s beaches are noteworthy, but if you’re touring Greece as a family, these are the top seven family-friendly beaches to have on your list:
- Location: Rhodes Island (20 kilometres south of Rhodes Town)
- Iconic features: Picturesque seashore with fine sand, lush vegetation surrounding the cove, and small boats sailing near the shore.
- Family-friendly features: Umbrellas and sun beds provided at a small cost, fresh water showers on-site, traditional taverns serving fresh food, smaller in size so no one gets lost.
Ladiko Beach is ideal for anyone travelling with children, simply because of its size, amenities, and accessibility. Just 20 kilometres south of Rhodes Town, this hidden cove is perfect for a family beach day. You don’t have to worry about packing umbrellas or lawn chairs – it’s all provided for a very minimal fee.
The size of the beach also limits the risk of anyone getting lost, which any parent knows is a huge travelling bonus.
See Also: 2 Weeks in Greece For Every Budget
- Location: Crete (34 kilometres south of Rethymnon)
- Iconic features: Breathtaking mountain views, hidden from major tourist destinations, crystal clear blue waters and powdery white sand.
- Family-friendly features: Boat tours offered daily, shallow water ideal for small children, sunbeds, umbrellas, and showers on-site, beachfront restaurants nearby, considerably less busy than other beaches in the area.
If you’re interested in a beach that offers stunning views, safe water, and comfortable amenities, this is the beach for you! Complete with mountain views and crystal-clear water, Plakias Beach is both beautiful and family friendly. Shallow water allows children to enjoy the water without fear and the beachfront taverns make sure everyone is well fed and cared for.
- Location: Crete (75 kilometres south of Chania)
- Iconic features: Stunning landscapes with breathtaking colours, fluffy white and pink sand, warm lagoons, nearby stroll to the lighthouse with endless sea views.
- Family-friendly features: Beach chairs and umbrellas at no extra cost, shallow water for kids, snorkelling opportunities for older kids and parents, impeccably clean beach and facilities.
Elafonissi Beach in Crete is consistently rated as one of the best beaches in all of Greece, and for good reason. Blanketed in lush white and pink sands, Elafonissi never fails to paint an incredible canvas of colour, from soft pinks to intense turquoises.
Complete with shallow water, lagoon pools, snorkelling, and nearby lighthouses, this beach is ideal for any family that wants a beach with both beauty and functionality.
- Location: Elafonisos (just two kilometres from Lefki)
- Iconic features: The bluest water you’ve ever seen, soft white sands, bright and lush flora (bright flowers in early fall), calm mornings with an atmosphere of endless relaxation.
- Family-friendly features: Lifeguard on duty, soft sand perfect for playing, shallow and deep water for different ages, a variety of food and drink options nearby.
Simos Beach offers the perfect contrast every beachgoer loves to see: bright blue waters blanketed by flawless white sand. Consistently described as “paradise” by those who have visited, this beach offers a perfect oasis for parents and kids – a win-win situation for the whole family.
White sand dunes are perfect for relaxation and playing, vividly blue waters are great for splashing fun, and with a lifeguard on duty, no one has to worry.
- Location: Milos Island
- Iconic features: Lunar landscapes, breathtaking caves perfect for exploring, bright blue waters, unique rock formations you can’t find anywhere else.
- Family-friendly features: Hiking trails for exploring, landscapes with educational opportunities, fewer tourists compared to other beaches, offers both a beach and exploration.
If you’re looking for an entirely different, totally unique beach experience, Sarakiniko Beach is it! Ideal for families with older children, this Star Wars style landscape offers endless adventures and ample photo opportunities.
Perfect for active families that like to hike and explore, Sarakiniko Beach boasts volcanic rocks, lunar landscapes, and indescribable beach caves. Plus, if you’re into the adrenaline rush, older kids love cliff jumping.
- Location: Ionian Islands (just East of Laganas Beach)
- Key features: Perfect soft white sand, crystal clear water perfect for swimming, stunning natural landscapes, beautiful wildlife – including adorable sea turtles.
- Family-friendly features: Warm, blue, and shallow water, long beach perfect for walking, less touristy so fewer people, pedal boats for rent, sea turtles in the summer months.
If you want a beach that’s more isolated and less touristy, Kalamaki Beach might be just right for you and your family. Superb for young families and small children, Kalamaki Beach offers everything you could want and more. The bay is over six kilometres long and entirely covered with plush white sand.
The water is blue, warm, and for nearly 50 metres out, it’s only two feet deep. And if you visit in the summer, you might just see sea turtles in their natural habitat.
Agios Georgios Beach
- Location: Naxos Island
- Iconic features: Nearby town with beautiful Greek architecture, beautifully clear swimming water, amazing views of sunsets, beautiful mountain landscapes.
- Family-friendly features: Lots of amenities nearby including a local market, extremely clean beach and facilities, shallow water ideal for small children, bathrooms and showers on-site, less crowded, lifeguards on duty.
A short walk from the Island’s main town and port, Agios Georgios Beach is a calm, warm, and beautiful blue beach, perfect for any family. Thanks to a shallow shelf that extends well out into the sea, the calm and warm water is perfect for young children – allowing them to enjoy the beach safely.
With dozens of places to stay and eat you don’t have to worry about arriving and having nowhere to grab a bite to eat and parents tend to appreciate that’s there are lifeguards on duty.
Have you been to Greece and travelled as a family? Share your favourite must-visit beaches for families in the comments below.