Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. And for anyone with the travel bug, that makes for a great excuse to start planning a romantic adventure for you and your partner. Whether it’s your first trip together or you’re avid travellers, here are some of the best destinations for adventurous couples looking for an amazing holiday.
Travel on: a couple's tour
If you’re looking for a beautiful, Mama Mia-inspired holiday with your loved one, Greece has all the views, beaches, and adventures you could ask for. This country has something for everyone; whether you’re a history buff, a beach bather, or a hiking fan, there are endless possibilities, each with their own stunning Mediterranean backdrop. From watching the sunset over the Aegean Sea to exploring the ancient ruins of Athens, Greece is the perfect combination of romance and adventure.
- Best Time to Visit: Because the summer months are extremely busy with hordes of tourists, April to June or September to October are some of the best times to visit.
- Top Things to Do: Visit the Parthenon, Ancient Agora, Delphi and Acropolis, explore Mykonos’s Nightlife, take photos of Santorini’s Iconic Buildings, sample authentic Greek yogurt.
Perfect Tour: Greek Island Hopper
2. The Maldives
The Maldives is the go-to destination for tropical romance, complete with overwater bungalows, crystal clear blue water, and white sand beaches that seem too good to be true. This is one beach destination that will make you feel like you’re on your own private island, with unlimited amounts of snorkelling, sunbathing, and exploring the ocean by cruise ship. Whether you opt for an island cruise, a cozy
- Best Time to Visit: Visiting between November and April will avoid both monsoon and peak tourists seasons.
- Top Things to Do: Scuba dive with whale sharks, snorkel with sea turtles, go dolphin watching, try out surfing, get a couples massage, go for an airplane tour of the islands.
Perfect Tour: Maldives Dhoni Explorer
While many travellers don’t realize it, Switzerland is one of the most romantic European destinations to visit. Imagine: your day starts in a cozy cafe, followed by an afternoon of skiing down snow-capped mountains, and concludes with an adorable evening cuddling in a horse-drawn carriage. It’s a sophisticated romantic destination that boasts alpine adventures, endless photo opportunities, and of course, delicious Swiss chocolates. If you want to do something romantic that leaves no trace of cliches, an adventure through the Swiss Alps is just what you need.
- Best Time to Visit: Peak season is January to February, so it’s best to travel in the shoulder months of April to June or October to November. It really depends on which activities you want to do and what type of scenery you want to see.
- Top Things to Do: Hike the Zermatt Lake trail, enjoy a glass of wine beside Lake Geneva, take in the views at Piz Gloria, treat yourself to chocolates at Nestle’s Callier Factory, take a train ride on the Glacier Express.
Perfect Tour: Spectacular Switzerland
4. Quebec, Canada
If you’re dreaming of a winter-wonderland themed holiday, there are few places as beautiful and as romantic as Quebec, Canada. If you’re not afraid of a little cold, the skiing, food, and culture of Quebec will make for a holiday you’ll never forget. Whether you find yourself a cozy cottage outside of Montreal or stay in a ski lodge near Quebec City, you’ll find an abundance of outdoor skating rinks, ski hills, and snow-covered streets that are fresh out of a fairy tale. Get some hot cocoa and get ready for nights cuddled up by the fire.
- Best Time to Visit: Quebec has stunning sights to offer all year round, but the beautiful winter months are from late November to late February.
- Top Things to Do: Stay in an ice hotel, toboggan down Au 1884, celebrate the Quebec Winter Carnival with Bonhomme, try sweet maple taffy, unwind at Siberia Station Spa.
Perfect Tour: Quebec Winter Carnival
Spring is the most beautiful season in Japan, as the cherry blossoms awaken and the entire country becomes blanketed in a beautiful wave of pink. All of the country’s flowers are in full bloom, making for romantic afternoons walking through public parks and garden. From mesmerizing ancient temples to colourful street markets, Japan has the perfect blend of romance and activity, making it a one of a kind destination for adventurous travel couples.
- Best Time to Visit: April is widely considered the official cherry blossom season of Japan. However, Northern regions see blooms as late as May, while the Southern subtropical region of Okinawa sees blooming as early as January.
- Top Things to Do: Explore the public parks and gardens, go strawberry picking, attend one of the Spring festivals, enjoy fresh fish from local markets, visit famous temples like Kinkaku-
Perfect Tour: Japan Cherry Blossom Tour
Perfect for wine drinkers and foodies, Italy is a picture-perfect holiday for couples, filled with sprawling vineyards, intimate gondola rides, and colourful cliffside villages. Start your trip exploring the historic city of Rome, touring the Colosseum and making a wish in the Trevi Fountain. Take the train to Venice and enjoy a romantic dinner and evening gondola ride. Next, visit Shakespeare’s inspiration in Verona and imagine it as the backdrop to Romeo and Juliet. With so many cities to visit, from Milan to Palermo, Italy offers endless possibilities, all with an equally romantic twist.
- Best Time to Visit: Italy is unique in the sense that it’s beautiful all year round. However, April to June and September to October tend to be less busy with moderate temperatures.
- Top Things to Do: Take photos in Cinque Terre, climb a volcano in Sicily, make pasta in Bologna, bask at the beauty of the Sistine Chapel, pose like Juliette in Verona.
Perfect Tour: Italian Holiday
If you’re looking for something entirely unique, blissfully peaceful, and absolutely thrilling, Namibia could be your perfect couple holiday. L
- Best Time to Visit: June to October offers the best weather with the highest chance of seeing the exciting wildlife.
- Top Things to Do: Take in the scenery of the Namib Desert, sandboard or skydive in Swakopmund, be amazed by the petroglyphs of Twyfelfontein, go for a nature walk in the Palmwag Concession.
Perfect Tour: Wonders of Namibia National Geographic Journey
See Also: The Best Places to Camp in Namibia
8. Paris, France
A list of romantic adventures wouldn’t be complete with mentioning the city of love – Paris. Today, Paris has undeniably become synonymous with romance, boasting dozens of beautiful destinations from the Eiffel Tower to the banks of the Seine river. While it might seem cliche, travelling to Paris with your significant other is a trip like no other. Whether you pack a picnic to enjoy one of the many parks or opt for lunch in a cafe outside the Louvre, Paris is an endless bank of adventure that will never lose its lustre.
- Best Time to Visit: Weather is enjoyable and the crowds are much smaller in April to June or October to November.
- Top Things to Do: Enjoy the art at the Louvre, kiss at the top of the Eiffel Tower, wander through the Latin Quater, take a dinner cruise through the River Seine, enjoy Monet’s galleries at the Musee de l’Orangerie.
Perfect Tour: In Love With Paris
Whether you prefer to dance the night away, relax together on the beach, or hit the ground running, any time you travel with your parter it’s a fantastic adventure!
Do you travel with your partner? What’s your next destination?