Let’s face it, Portugal is absolutely amazing. From the cobblestone streets and pastel-coloured buildings of Lisbon to the beaches of the Algarve that will quite literally take your breath away, you’ll be wishing you never have to go back home. There is no denying that Portugal deserves to be at the top of any and all must-visit lists. Because we love Portugal and we know that you will too, we curated a list of our favourite Instagram accounts to inspire you to learn Portuguese and book a one-way flight ASAP. If you’re ready to discover one of Europe’s most underrated countries, read on.
Travel to: Portugal
Visit Porto and North
If you’re looking for Porto inspiration, look no further. Get inspired by the Douro River, the equally awe-inspiring Douro Valley and of course, aged-to-perfection port wines in the region that gave Portugal its name with Visit Porto and North.
View this post on Instagram
Speechless. Ph @girlgoneabroad #visitportoandnorth #lamego #visitportugal #viseu #nature #green #church #sun #wonderlustportugal #super_portugal #portugal_places #loves_portugal #turismoportoenorte #ig_portugal #topportugalphoto #travelgram #travelblogger #blogger #instatravel #instacity #citybreak #touring #tourist #travel #porto_ig #portolovers
If we had to pick one thing that Portugal is best known for, it would have to be its jaw-dropping, colourful architecture. Mastering urban design is no easy feat, and neither is capturing it, which is why @voodoolx is a must follow. José Miguel, the designer behind the account, is a Portuguese native who will single-handedly inspire you to visit his homeland.
See Also: Why You Need to Visit Portugal Right Now
For inspiring views of Lisbon, check out @Tozzzze. The account showcases and photographs many of the spots that make Lisbon a crowd favourite and so many more that you may not have ever known. @Tozzzze makes falling in love with Portugal easy.
Stunning photos take on a whole new meaning with @_diogooliveira_. This Porto native inspires his followers through his incredible photography and captivating images. See Porto and beyond from a whole new perspective and get ready to take your love for Portugal one step further. All you have to do is hit that follow button.
If you’re hoping to brighten up your feed with everything from colourful azulejos to breathtaking cityscapes and more, Ana from BloodRedHeart is the account to follow. Very few accounts make me want to sit and scroll for hours, but this is definitely one. With a beautifully curated feed, @_bloodredheart_ is a must-follow for Portugal-lovers and art lovers alike.
Lisbon-born art director and photographer Hugo Suissas takes his love for his city (and country) and posts it on his Instagram account, daring you to be uninspired. Showcasing everything from the best places to eat, drink, shop, and more through his lens, @Suissas’ feed makes any traveller wish they had booked a tour yesterday.
View this post on Instagram
Longboard Surf. #instiesgerador #fujifilmxpt #portugaldenorteasul #vsco #vscocam #vscogood #vscovisuals #vscosociety #vscotravels #vscoaward #vsco_portugal #igerslx #p3top #igmasters #igcreative #igersportugal #photooftheday #likesmagazine #nowporto #toplisbonphoto #creative #fubiz #huntgram #igers #Instagram #Iamatraveler #passionpassport #traveller #surf #longboard
You can’t go wrong following @LisboaCool. As the handle suggests, the sole purpose of this account is to highlight all of the best bits and pieces of Lisbon. Featuring photos from native-born Lisbonites, expats and visitors, @LisboaCool brings you all of the top spots to visit, the best food to eat, the best vantage points to capture that perfect shot, and so much more.
When it comes to accounts that induce wanderlust, @wonderlust.portugal takes the cake. Whether you’re planning a trip to Portugal or you’re simply looking to spice up your feed with expertly-shot images, do yourself a favour and follow this account. From Cabo da Roca to Sintra, Porto to the Algarve and everything in between, you’ll be hard pressed to find any uninspiring photos on Wonderlust.Portugal. So what are you waiting for, press follow!
View this post on Instagram
The Portuguese Venice 💛 . Thanks to @giovannitosca. This photo is fantastic! Do you like listening to music whilst exploring new places? We've made it easy for you to get your hit 🎶 Follow »Wonderlust« on Spotify to enjoy our latest playlists. #wonderlustmagazine #portugaltodo #visitportugal #theglobewanderer #passionpassport #seeportugal #onlyportugal #portugalblogger #roamtheplanet #wonderlust #igersportugal #wonderlustportugal #portugal #aveiro #igersaveiro
For an insiders look at all things Portugal, you need to add @heyandiehey to your followers’ list. Andreia, a self-proclaimed “storyteller and coffee enthusiast” shows you what life in Lisbon is really like. Seamlessly capturing everything from azulejo-covered buildings to the tastiest must-eat treats in Portugal. Check out @heyandiehey and your feed will thank you, trust us.
When talking about Instagram and Portugal, we can’t forget to mention @VisitPortugal, the official Instagram account of Portugal. With over 340,000 followers, and inspiring photos re-posted every day, @VisitPortugal is an absolute must follow. Get your Portugal to fix whenever you need it by hitting that follow button.
The most Insta-worthy places in Portugal
If you’re ready to take inspiration from these gorgeous accounts and snap a few pictures of Portugal for yourself, you’ll have to start by picking some spots to snap the perfect picture for your own Instagram! Here are a few of our favourite spots, in our favourite parts of Portugal.
- The Alfama District: Lisbon’s oldest district is home to charming cobbled streets and traditional colourful homes.
- The Fado Graffiti Wall: if street art is your thing, this wall in Escadinhas de São Cristóvão is the result of several artists’ collaboration, and it’s perfect for those artsy-cool shots.
- LX Factory: this former industrial region’s factories have been repurposed into one of the coolest places in Lisbon. From bookstores to restaurants to art exhibitions, LX Factory is home to countless Instagram-worthy spots.
- Teleférico de Gaia: the best views of Porto can be found above the city itself! For 9 euros, this five-minute cable car trip takes you 300 metres above the city and allows you to see the whole thing in all its glory.
- Torel Avantgarde: this hotel is one of the most photographed places in all of Portugal; or at least, one room is! On your way to the hotel bar, you’ll be transported to a magical “flower corridor,” where multicoloured blooms hang from the walls and ceiling.
- Joana Vasconcelos’ Azulejo Panel: created by contemporary artist Joana Vasconcelos, this giant mural is 20 metres wide and painted in colours so vibrant, it’s practically begging for an insta-feature.
- Benagil Caves: less than an hour from Faro, this cave on the water contains a large opening in its top, making it perfect to catch that golden hour light.
- Praia do Camilo: if you aren’t afraid to climb the 200 wooden steps, you’ll be rewarded with this secluded cove in Lagos. The vibrant blue water contrasts perfectly with the ochre cliffs: a photographer’s dream.
- Albufeira: this historic maritime town is known for its vibrant nightlife, but the whitewashed buildings and gorgeous beaches are perfect for Instagram.
- Miradouro da Vista do Rei: in Ponta Delgada on the island of São Miguel, the “king view” provides photographers with a perfect glimpse of Lagoa das Sete Cidades, two small but very different lakes.
- Parque dos Caldierões: this park, also on São Miguel, is a peaceful escape from city life. With gorgeous nature, a cute café, and even a waterfall, this one checks all the boxes.
- The Santa Maria Chimneys: the southernmost island in the Azores, Santa Maria is known for the colourful and elaborate chimneys many of its buildings boast! A perfect place to grab a slightly quirky photo.
What are your favourite Instagram accounts from Portugal? Let us know!