This story was created in partnership with: Tourism Northern Territory
Ready to connect with nature, experience new cultures, and embark on incredible outdoor activities? Well, you’re in luck because Australia’s Northern Territory is wide open for adventure!
From hiking and kayaking to magical outdoor dining experiences, there’s something special for everyone in this big, beautiful paradise on Earth. What’s more, the Northern Territory is once again open to international travelers. So, read on to discover everything this area has to offer, and let the adventures begin!
From sampling local culinary masterpieces at an open-air market to dining on a menu of bush tucker-inspired dishes under a beautiful night sky full of stars, a meal in the Northern Territory is about more than just the delicious food itself – it’s also about where you eat. In fact, the location makes your alfresco dining adventure come alive.
Get ready to experience the best of the Northern Territory as you let your taste buds take you on a foodtastic adventure through its extraordinary, wide-open spaces. When all is said and done, these are the memories – and meals – you’ll cherish forever.
Top outdoor dining adventures
- From the best local produce to fresh seafood specialties, Pee Wee’s at the Point serves up something special. And the best part? Each dish is savored in a serene setting complete with palm trees and views of the bay.
- Mouth-watering dishes? Check. A spectacular sunset? Of course! Experience all this and more on a sunset dinner cruise in the world-famous Nitmiluk National Park.
- Ready to discover a whole new world? Spot stars and constellations near Uluru while you dig into an award-winning gourmet ‘Sounds of Silence’ dinner prepared by your local hosts.
Travel to: Australia's Northern Territory
At the end of the day, nothing quite enriches or fulfills the soul like discovering the very heart of a destination through its people and their traditions. With that said, you’re in for a special treat because the Northern Territory is home to the oldest living culture in the world, the Aboriginal Australians. Arriving more than 65,000 years ago, Australia’s first inhabitants enriched the land with various languages, customs, and traditions.
Today, you can immerse yourself in the ancient ways and gain insight into everything from the background of the hunter-gatherer to the art of basketry. These experiences will not only feed your cultural curiosity, but they’ll also capture a special place in your heart.
Cultural adventures you can’t miss
- How about going on an Outback bushwalk with an expert Aboriginal guide? Just remember to let your adventurous side shine in case you have the opportunity to sample turtles, snakes, kangaroos, and more!
- Nothing quite compares to the wonder of Ubirr. Located in Kakadu National Park, this famous rock formation is the place to explore fascinating petroglyphs. In fact, it’s one of the most impressive Aboriginal art rock displays in the world!
- No trip is complete without traveling to the edge of Watarrka National Park for a cultural experience unlike any other. Not only will you get to meet Aboriginal Australians and hear their interesting stories first-hand, but you’ll learn about their customs, traditions, and way of life.
Welcome to the great outdoors! From swimming and walking to even flying, there’s nothing quite like embarking on an epic experience in the vast, glorious Northern Territory. In fact, it’s much more than just another great place to visit; it’s somewhere you can truly enjoy the freedom to roam.
Choose from bucket-list activities like soaking in the Katherine Hot Springs, kayaking in Darwin Harbour, seeing iconic Uluru from high above in a helicopter, or biking through the desert in Alice Springs. The options are endless; the experiences are second to none.
Epic experiences you can’t miss
- How would you like to share stories by the campfire and sleep under a star-filled sky? Go on a camping or glamping adventure in the Northern Territory Outback and have the experience of a lifetime!
- Observe crocodiles in their natural habitat aboard a river cruise or visit Darwin’s Crocosaurus Cove (where you can jump into the Cage of Death to see them up close!) for an adrenaline adventure.
- Is there anything better than exploring Uluru on foot or on two wheels? Choose from the 5.8-mile-long base walk or cycle along the 9-mile bike path for an experience everyone can enjoy!
See Also: The Northern Territory Travel Guide
Did you know that the Northern Territory is home to not one but two World Heritage-listed national parks (Kakadu National Park and Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park) as well as marine parks, nature reserves, and conservation areas? It’s a nature lover’s paradise and it’s wide open for adventure.
Here, you can explore lush rainforests; admire ancient Indigenous rock art in Kakadu; and savor the spectacular sunset at Kata Tjuta. What’s more, you can also hike past enchanting waterfalls and spot crocodiles as you cruise along the striking Yellow Water Billabong. No matter where you choose to visit, the Northern Territory’s spectacular scenery will leave you speechless!
Top national & nature park adventures
- See Nitmiluk National Park’s sandstone gorge system in style on a sunrise or sunset river cruise. And keep your eyes peeled for the saltwater crocodiles who call this area home (they can often be seen lounging on the riverbanks).
- Grab your explorer’s hat and venture off the beaten path in the world-famous Kakadu National Park. Be on the lookout for hidden waterfalls and amazing Aboriginal rock art.
- Enjoy a lovely picnic and a refreshing swim at Berry Springs Nature Park near Darwin. You haven’t seen crystal-clear waters until you’ve visited this pristine paradise!
Your Northern Territory adventure awaits
With its dramatic desert landscapes, iconic natural wonders, and ancient Aboriginal culture, Australia’s Northern Territory is wide open for adventure! So, bask in the freedom of forging your own trail and try activities like hiking, kayaking, camel riding, and outdoor dining. The only question is: Which amazing adventure will you choose first?
If you’re ready to enjoy the freedom to roam, then head over to TourRadar and start planning your Northern Territory adventure today!