“The Transylvania Tale tour was fantastic. The destinations were all wonderful and the group was great (although it helped that it was a small group of only 6 people). Romania is one of the best places I've visited, but Bulgaria is also very beautiful. Even...“
Awards & Recognitions
Tucan Travel Guides
- Authentic travel experiences
- 60% of travellers are solo passengers
- Established for 30 years
- Travelling with like minded people
Tucan Travel is an adventure tour company which offers group travel across the world. Originally starting in 1987, they were one of the first South American tour companies, with the company name taken from the well known South American bird, the Tucan. Tucan Travel ...
Tucan Travel is an adventure tour company which offers group travel across the world. Originally starting in 1987, they were one of the first South American tour companies, with the company name taken from the well known South American bird, the Tucan. Tucan Travel offers different different types of travel, their own custom built trucks for overland trips, and guaranteed departures on certain dates. It is this combination of factors, as well as being started by some adventurous people, that allows travelers a deeper understanding of the world, and gives those travelers an opportunity to see and experience places outside of the norm.Read more
246 Tucan Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- JIEFANGAndes & Coastal Highlights (from Lima to Santiago)4.0 - GoodWritten on December 10, 2017It is an very adventurous tour. If you are open mind and sporty, there are lots of thing to do!! Lots of fun, Suitable for those who is energetic and outdoortie…Read more
- MMaryclareJewels of Sri Lanka4.0 - GoodWritten on December 9, 2017Just back from a super tour and I cannot speak highly enough about the tour Jewel of Sri Lanka tour or the tour guide Priya and his co workers I would go again …Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much for your wonderful review! We hope to see you another adventure in the future!
- JLJeanneSouthern Patagonia (from Buenos Aires to El Chalten)1.5 - Rather poorWritten on December 7, 2017This experience with Tucan Travel revealed very poor customer service in nearly every way. They…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Jeanne we are sorry that you were disappointed with your tour in Patagonia. Our senior managers were working directly with you regarding your complaints whilst you were on tour. Prior to the start of your tour, Tucan Travel were not made aware of the severity of your food allergies. As can be appreciated, fulfilling strict dietary requirements in some travel destinations can be a challenging task and we will always try to do our best to accommodate this, however due to local resources, this can be sometimes be impractical and out of our control. Tucan Travel take any allegations of sexual harassment extremely seriously and we have investigated your comments about the national park's guide assigned on this occasion and have responded in a letter to your agent in regards to this. In regards to your comments on the hotels, the accommodation used on our tours is chosen for their location rather than star rating and the hotels used are outlined on each day of the itinerary on our website. We apologise if you did not feel there was any concern given to your complaints. We took your complaints very seriously which is why you were in direct contact with our senior manager in Latin America who wanted to ensure you could enjoy the rest of your tour. We wish you all the best on your future travels.
- EBEmmaComplete Patagonia (from Santiago to Buenos Aires)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on December 6, 2017Incredible experience, I came into the trip with no real expectations and was blown away by everything I saw. Both the driver and tour leader were wonderful. Ve…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Emma thank you for your fantastic review, we are so pleased you joined us in Patagonia! We hope to see you on another adventure in the future!
- KRKenneth4.5 - ExcellentWritten on November 30, 2017The South American Encompassed tour was a great way to see a ton of different places and sights across a huge swath of the continent. We had a fairly small gro…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHI Kenneth, we are so pleased you joined us in South America! We hope to see you on another adventure in the future!
- TDTrishaIndia to Nepal2.0 - Rather poorWritten on November 29, 2017It was a strange start, joining an already formed group, who had been through the desert together for 2 weeks. We were with that group for 3 days and then it sp…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Trisha thank you for leaving feedback on your tour in India and Nepal. We are pleased that you enjoyed the overall itinerary. Our tours are of a modular nature with smaller tours making up larger tours. This means you will often have people joining and leaving the tour at different points, which is great way to meet different fellow travellers. We are sorry that you did not feel the accommodation was adequate. The accommodation used is listed under each day on our website and due to some of the remote destinations we visit we cannot guarantee hot water or air-conditioning. Our hotels are generally chosen for their location to the main sights rather than their star-rating. We take safety on our tours extremely seriously and we are investigating your complaints about the transport used but we recommend emailing email@example.com with more information about your tour.
- ARAnitaScenic Granada4.5 - ExcellentWritten on November 27, 2017In my opinion this is a very varied trip which ranges from colonial cities to small islands via Mayan ruins. Our guide Maria was extremely good and very friendl…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Anita, thank you so much for your review and we are so pleased you joined us in Central America. Our tours here cover vast distances and sometimes take a little longer to get from A to B. We hope to see you on another adventure in the future!
- TLTobiasTransylvania Tale (from Budapest to Istanbul)4.0 - GoodWritten on November 21, 2017The Transylvania Tale tour was fantastic. The destinations were all wonderful and the group was great (although it helped that it was a small group of only 6 pe…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Tobias, we are so happy you joined us on the Transylvania Tour! It has so many beautiful and diverse destinations. We hope to see you on another Tucan Travel tour in the future!
Tucan Travel Tours
About Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel videos
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 3
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 1
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 2
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 4
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 5
- Show more...
- Main Page Video
- Cusco, Lima
- Machu Picchu
- On The Road with Tucan Travel, Africa
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Borneo Adventure
- Lake Titicaca
- The Amazon Jungle from Peru
- Sri Lanka
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Ultimate Travel Guide: Canada
- Colombia Encompassed
Why Tucan Travel?
Modular, Flexible Itineraries
Tucan Travel Benefits
Over 4000 Guaranteed Departures
Custom Trucks on Overland Tours
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 60,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Tucan Travel Photos
Popular for Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What transport will be used?
Tucan Travel’s tours use a variety of transport. On most of their tours you will be using a combination of different public transport styles. This includes public buses, trains, overnight transport, tuk-tuks and taxis. Please be aware that as you will be taking public transport, then the baggage you bring must be easily able to carry whilst travelling.
On Africa tours and some South America tours you will be travelling on their custom-built overland trucks. They feature forward facing coach seats, safety belts, and plenty of leg room. The trucks are equipped with powerful engines and long range fuel tanks as well as ample storage and power sockets .
What is the best way to carry money while on the tour?
In most destinations (except for Europe and Cuba), all currency should be in US dollars. ATMs are the easiest way to withdraw money BUT you should never rely solely on them and always have a back-up of cash. Tucan Travel recommend travellers to bring as much US dollars cash (in small denomination bills with no rips, writing or other damage) or euro cash (depending on the destination) as you feel comfortable carrying.
Are meals included on the tour?
Meals vary from itinerary to itinerary. In many cases breakfasts are included, as well as meals whilst camping, such as on the Inca Trek. On tours that do not have meals included, Tucan Travel’s tour leaders will be able to recommend local restaurants for clients who want to try the region’s cuisine on their adventure.
How about the crime rate in each destinations?
Please read the travel safety notices issued by your government, purchase comprehensive travel insurance and take heed of your tour leader's advice when you arrive.
When will the travellers meet the tour leader?
On most group tours the tour leader will be at the joining hotel and will hold a pre-departure meeting in the late afternoon/early evening of day 1. On some shorter trips, you will not meet your tour leader until day 2, as these trips are parts of longer adventure travel tours.
Does Tucan Travel offer airport transfers?
In most cities, Tucan Travel offer arrival transfer services which can be booked for an additional charge. It is also easy to take a taxi to the joining hotel. Most airports have reliable pre-paid fixed priced taxi booths in the arrivals terminal. Please enquire if you would like to know if the tour you are interested in has a transfer included.
What things do I need to bring?
It depends entirely on each destination, the season and the activites you'll participate in. Some tours require sleeping bags, comfortable, hardy, waterproof shoes and waterproof clothing for outdoor activities, e.g. trekking. Bring long, light clothing for hot destinations and countries where you'll encounter conservative attitudes to dress.
What kind of luggage is recommended?
Tucan Travel recommends that travellers bring a soft frameless backpack or sports type bag. Wheeled luggage and suitcases are not recommended on Tucan Travel’s tours as these are not suitable for storage on the trucks or public transport. Travellers will need to carry their own luggage and should make sure to bring a comfortable bag that is light enough to carry. For tours travelling on our expedition or if you are travelling on a tour with internal flights, the luggage should not exceed 20 kilograms.
When is the arrival and departure on the tour?
Day 1 of all our group tours is simply a joining day and the last day is the official departure day so travellers can arrive/depart at any time on these days. In general the tour departs early on day 2 and returns in the afternoon/evening of the second to last day. Day 1 of our Expedition Cruises is often the departure day, unless it is packaged with pre cruise accommodation.
Why is a local payment required?
For travellers on the Adventures for 20s and 30s Tour, a local payment to the tour leader on day 1 in US dollars is required. In the rare event that there is a short fall in the local payment, travellers will be required to make an extra contribution.