“Overall it was a great tour - the guide, hotels and included activities were great. However there was a lot of driving involved (1 day of 8 hours + 2 days of 6 hours). I felt disappointed with tierradentro - it was nice, but for 6 hours driving we spent tw...“
Awards & Recognitions
Tucan Travel Guides
- Authentic travel experiences
- 60% of travellers are solo passengers
- Established for 30 years
- Travelling with like minded people
Tucan Travel is an adventure tour company which offers group travel across the world. Originally starting in 1987, they were one of the first South American tour companies, with the company name taken from the well known South American bird, the Tucan. Tucan Travel ...
Tucan Travel is an adventure tour company which offers group travel across the world. Originally starting in 1987, they were one of the first South American tour companies, with the company name taken from the well known South American bird, the Tucan. Tucan Travel offers different different types of travel, their own custom built trucks for overland trips, and guaranteed departures on certain dates. It is this combination of factors, as well as being started by some adventurous people, that allows travelers a deeper understanding of the world, and gives those travelers an opportunity to see and experience places outside of the norm.Read more
302 Tucan Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- ronMoscow to Warsaw4.0 - GoodWritten on June 18, 2018Whilst I am continuing with tbe tripI will review the Moscow to Warsaw leg . The leader Vasilly had good knowledge of history and was at his best when sharing …Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Ron We welcome feedback, both positive and negative so thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We will take your comments on board in regards to the itinerary and the time spent in St Petersburg. With the optional excursion in Veliky Novgorod, unfortunately the construction here is out of control, however we will endeavor to keep the information updated. We will pass on your comments in regards to the itinerary to our Europe Destination Managers but we hope you have a fantastic adventure through the rest of Europe and look forward to hearing about it on your return. Best Rosanna @ Tucan Travel
- JMJanetMoscow to Warsaw5.0 - ExcellentWritten on June 17, 2018On the tour starting June 1, Vasily was a very professional guide of a group of 17 with detailed knowledge of the history of the towns we travelled through. He …Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Janet Thank you for your great words about Vasily and we will pass these onto this manager! We hope to see you on another adventure in the future Best Rosanna @ Tucan Travel
- MPMELISSABalkans in Two Weeks3.5 - GoodWritten on June 9, 2018Local payment on top of existing tour price resulting in subpar hotel accommodations and tour leader. Only the driver, cities location/journeys and fellow trave…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Melissa We are pleased you enjoyed the itinerary and met some great fellow travellers. We choose locally-owned hotels based on their location to the main sights rather than their star rating however all feedback is important to us so we will forward your comments to our Europe Destination team as we are continually assessing our hotels in order to maintain and provide a great standard. We wish you all the best in your future adventures Best Tucan Travel
- JordanSouth East Asia Loop4.5 - ExcellentWritten on June 6, 2018A trip of a lifetime. Was an excellent intro to Asia, and I can safely say I will be back, and I will be back soon!
- HeatherMoscow to Warsaw2.5 - AverageWritten on May 20, 2018The poorness of the tour was based on the guide. Vasily was very knowledgable on the historical facts of each location and country. Beginning the morning of t…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Heather Thank you for leaving feedback. We are taking your comments seriously and investigating this further. Someone from our customer service team will be in touch. Many thanks Rosanna @ Tucan Travel
- LLorenaDelVecchioJewels of Sri Lanka4.5 - ExcellentWritten on May 19, 2018A really jam-packed tour which covered all the ancient sites, national parks, beaches and cities. A varied tour and great value.
Tucan Travel Tours
About Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel videos
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 3
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 1
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 2
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 4
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 5
- Show more...
- Main Page Video
- Cusco, Lima
- Machu Picchu
- On The Road with Tucan Travel, Africa
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Borneo Adventure
- Lake Titicaca
- The Amazon Jungle from Peru
- Sri Lanka
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Ultimate Travel Guide: Canada
- Colombia Encompassed
Why Tucan Travel?
Modular, Flexible Itineraries
Tucan Travel Benefits
Over 4000 Guaranteed Departures
Custom Trucks on Overland Tours
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Tucan Travel Photos
Popular for Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What transport will be used?
Tucan Travel’s tours use a variety of transport. On most of their tours you will be using a combination of different public transport styles. This includes public buses, trains, overnight transport, tuk-tuks and taxis. Please be aware that as you will be taking public transport, then the baggage you bring must be easily able to carry whilst travelling.
On Africa tours and some South America tours you will be travelling on their custom-built overland trucks. They feature forward facing coach seats, safety belts, and plenty of leg room. The trucks are equipped with powerful engines and long range fuel tanks as well as ample storage and power sockets .
What is the best way to carry money while on the tour?
In most destinations (except for Europe and Cuba), all currency should be in US dollars. ATMs are the easiest way to withdraw money BUT you should never rely solely on them and always have a back-up of cash. Tucan Travel recommend travellers to bring as much US dollars cash (in small denomination bills with no rips, writing or other damage) or euro cash (depending on the destination) as you feel comfortable carrying.
Are meals included on the tour?
Meals vary from itinerary to itinerary. In many cases breakfasts are included, as well as meals whilst camping, such as on the Inca Trek. On tours that do not have meals included, Tucan Travel’s tour leaders will be able to recommend local restaurants for clients who want to try the region’s cuisine on their adventure.
How about the crime rate in each destinations?
Please read the travel safety notices issued by your government, purchase comprehensive travel insurance and take heed of your tour leader's advice when you arrive.
When will the travellers meet the tour leader?
On most group tours the tour leader will be at the joining hotel and will hold a pre-departure meeting in the late afternoon/early evening of day 1. On some shorter trips, you will not meet your tour leader until day 2, as these trips are parts of longer adventure travel tours.
Does Tucan Travel offer airport transfers?
In most cities, Tucan Travel offer arrival transfer services which can be booked for an additional charge. It is also easy to take a taxi to the joining hotel. Most airports have reliable pre-paid fixed priced taxi booths in the arrivals terminal. Please enquire if you would like to know if the tour you are interested in has a transfer included.
What things do I need to bring?
It depends entirely on each destination, the season and the activites you'll participate in. Some tours require sleeping bags, comfortable, hardy, waterproof shoes and waterproof clothing for outdoor activities, e.g. trekking. Bring long, light clothing for hot destinations and countries where you'll encounter conservative attitudes to dress.
What kind of luggage is recommended?
Tucan Travel recommends that travellers bring a soft frameless backpack or sports type bag. Wheeled luggage and suitcases are not recommended on Tucan Travel’s tours as these are not suitable for storage on the trucks or public transport. Travellers will need to carry their own luggage and should make sure to bring a comfortable bag that is light enough to carry. For tours travelling on our expedition or if you are travelling on a tour with internal flights, the luggage should not exceed 20 kilograms.
When is the arrival and departure on the tour?
Day 1 of all our group tours is simply a joining day and the last day is the official departure day so travellers can arrive/depart at any time on these days. In general the tour departs early on day 2 and returns in the afternoon/evening of the second to last day. Day 1 of our Expedition Cruises is often the departure day, unless it is packaged with pre cruise accommodation.
Why is a local payment required?
For travellers on the Adventures for 20s and 30s Tour, a local payment to the tour leader on day 1 in US dollars is required. In the rare event that there is a short fall in the local payment, travellers will be required to make an extra contribution.