“The best time of my life, great people, great food and accommodation i loved the amount of freedom we got and choices we had and i got a chance to do things that i've never been able to or thought i could do before this trip, done and seen some amazing th...“
Awards & Recognitions
- Original Adventures since “72”
- Voted best small holiday company to the USA
- North Americas ONLY small group specialist for 18-38s!
- Local tour leaders
In 1972, Trek America started allowing young, independent travellers a different option to the typical “package” holidays. Trek America offered these travelers an active, exciting small group environment to explore and adventure. Trek America is North Americas 18 - ...
In 1972, Trek America started allowing young, independent travellers a different option to the typical “package” holidays. Trek America offered these travelers an active, exciting small group environment to explore and adventure. Trek America is North Americas 18 - 38s tour specialist, offering adventure travel away from the main tourist routes. Operating for over 40 years, the knowledge and expertise they have accumulated over that time has meant they are able to share this with other travelers who take their trips - whether its old favourites or a few new secret spots, Trek America have got you covered. They specialise in the path less traveled, allowing the travelers the excitement of the open road, while staying true to their matra of “fun, freedom and flexibility”. They aim to invite the unknown, welcome the unexpected, and create memories that will last a lifetime.Read more
55 Trek America Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 3.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- CPCraigWestern Blt From Los Angeles4.0 - GoodWritten on February 8, 2018Would have been nice to have more time in Yosemite and to have a hotel to stay in there rather than a hostel.
- AKAndrewWestern Blt From San Francisco3.5 - GoodWritten on January 23, 2018It was an ok trip. The hotels were good. A lot of travel time not a lot of time at most of the places
- SamCanadian Road Trip From New York4.0 - GoodWritten on September 19, 2017This tour was everything I was hoping it would be. I was able to see Canada the best way possible with a fantastic guide Phil. Well worth doing.
- BCBrianWestern Wonder From San Francisco5.0 - ExcellentWritten on September 10, 2017This Western Wonder trip was truly amazing. So much was fitted into the 7 days. I could not recommend this trip highly enough. Breathtaking.
- LSLucyAtlantic Blt From New York4.5 - ExcellentWritten on August 20, 2017Fantastic trip - the itinerary was great, the tour leader was kind and competent and the other trekkers were excellent company.
Trek America Tours
About Trek America
Trek America videos
- Southern Sun Trekkers Video
- North American Q&A with Trek America
- Q&A: Trek America Oct 2014
- Trek America: The Legend
- Trek America - 100% America, 100% Adventure!
- Show more...
- Trek America: Best of the East
- TrekAmerica: iTrekTo...
- Trek America: Adventures in North, Central and South America
- California Calling
- Big City Life
- A Day in the Life of a Trekker
- Why Travel with TrekAmerica?
- Ultimate Travel Guide: Canada
- Best Things To Do in New York
- The Best Things To Do In Los Angeles
- The best things to do in Miami
- The best things to do in San Francisco
Trek America Benefits
True American Tour Leaders
Why Trek America
Award Winning Tours
Like Minded Groups
Awards & Recognitions
- Winner - Best small holiday company to the USABritish Travel Awards 2017
- WINNER - Best Holiday Company to CanadaBritish Travel Awards 2016
- WINNER - Best Holiday Company to the USA - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2016
- SILVER - Best Holiday Company to Canada - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2015
- BRONZE - Best Holiday Company for Customer Service - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2014
- BRONZE - Best Singles Holiday Company - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2014
- WINNER - Best Holiday Company to Canada - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2013, 2014
- WINNER - Best Holiday Company to the USA - SmallBritish Travel Awards/ 2013, 2014, 2015
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 60,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Trek America Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Does TrekAmerica include the transfers to the tour joining point?
No, TrekAmerica don't arrange or include transfers from the airport to the gateway hotels since there are quick, easy and more cost effective transfer options available directly from the airport to the gateway hotels.
Where is the joining point of the tour?
Most of the tours start in the lobby of the departure hotel at 7.30am The departure hotels serve as the Trek's start and end points. For booking inquries and other tour information, please contact us and we can definitely assist you.
Is it possible to visit Alcatraz on the tour?
If you want to visit Alcatraz on your visit to San Francisco, you can do this on your free day (Day 2 in San Francisco). It is recommended to book tickets in advance as they may otherwise sell out. Please contact us for more infomation.
Is it necessary to pre-book optional activities?
Your tour leader will run through all the options with you during your trip and you can decide what you'd like to do and pay as you go along for these so you don't need to pre-book any of the optional activities.
Is tipping necessary?
It is normal and expected in North America to tip waiters, bar staff and taxi drivers or any type of guide. A minimum of 15-18% is standard in restaurants. If your tour leader's performance meets or exceeds your expectations, TrekAmerica recommends you consider a tip of US$5-7 per person, per day, in appreciation of the service you receive.
How is it possible to get cash while on tour?
Throughout the Americas, ATM's and cash machines are readily available and major credit cards are widely accepted. Travellers Cheques are generally accepted and can be a safe way to take your funds but aren't always the most practical, as foreign money exchange facilities, especially in Central America, can be limited. Credit cards are not accepted for the Food Kitty and many optional activities. Pre-paid credit cards can be a cost effective and safe way to take funds overseas. TrekAmerica suggests you bring US $150 with you in cash to start the tour with.
What is the recommended amount of money to bring on the tour?
A budget of at least an average of US$25/CAN$25 per day for meals and general spending is recommended for camping trips. This includes US$10/CAN$10 per day for your food kitty which covers all of your meals while camping plus at least US$15/CAN$15 per day for snacks, drinks, tips and general spending. For BLT Tours the recommend budget is an average of US$50 per day to cover all meals, snacks, drinks, tips and general spending. It is customary to tip waiters, bar staff, taxi drivers, local guides and any person who provides a service for you. Your tour leader will work long and hard for you during your tour and there is a recommended discretionary tip of US$5-7 per passenger per day if the leader's performance meets or exceeds your expectations. These amounts are recommendations only, how much you want to spend is dependent on your personal choice.
What footwear is recommended on the trips?
Comfortable shoes are recommended and walking shoes or boots that will provide a more sturdy grip as well as good ankle support. A comfortable pair trainers will be ok, but be prepared for these to get dirty and make sure they do offer some grip.
Are hair straighteners and hairdryers allowed on the trip?
Yes, hairdryers and hair straighteners are allowed, but make sure you bring plug adaptors and check the voltage as they can vary meaning your appliances won't work exactly the same as they do at home.
Are camping mats needed on the trip?
A foam sleeping mat is provided however you may prefer to bring your own inflatable sleeping mat for extra comfort. You may also like to bring a pillow.