- Friendly & knowledgeable team
- Unforgettable New Zealand Itineraries
- New Zealand Tours - Daily Departures
- Wide range of great value coach tours
It's all about enjoying the flexibility of travelling where you want when you want with all arrangements and the driving taken care of by experts. Our itineraries include: accommodation to suit you; coach, train and ferry travel; and carefully selected activities and...
It's all about enjoying the flexibility of travelling where you want when you want with all arrangements and the driving taken care of by experts. Our itineraries include: accommodation to suit you; coach, train and ferry travel; and carefully selected activities and attractions. They offer the security of knowing you are making the most of your time in New Zealand and everything is arranged. All you need to do is enjoy the experience! This is truly stress-free travel with full support available 24 hours a day, seven days a week from our New Zealand based team.Read more
17 Thrifty Tours Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- SJSherieMiddle Earth Discovered - 8 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 9, 2020overall, this was an outstanding tour! amanda, our tour representative, had everything perfectly organized. there was one day we had a snag on the bus from Roto…Read moreThrifty Tours commented on this reviewThanks so much for your fabulous feedback Sherie - and for the great photos! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time travelling through our beautiful country. All the best!
- KPKamalaSouthern Highlights - 5 Days3.0 - AverageWritten on December 1, 2019There were no guides provided although this was supposed to be a guided tour. The commentary by the bus drivers was inadequate. There was of course no guiding a…Read moreThrifty Tours commented on this reviewHi Kamala, Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in this tour. Apologies if there was any miscommunication here - all of our tours are independent tours, which gives flexibility for travelling on your own selected dates, include some activities, and also give the option to add in extra activities at the destinations. They are simple detailed itineraries to make it as easy as possible to explore the country on your own, or with friends. Our tours are not group or guided tours, and they make use of the tourist coaches to get around, which will give some commentary along the way. On these you will meet other travellers who are making their way around New Zealand on their own itineraries. Therefore, the other singles you met may have organised their own trip if they were not paying a single supplement. We have a single supplement for solo travellers to allow you to have your own room throughout. Unfortunately, New Zealand weather can be unpredictable at times and in these shorter tours, there is not always the flexibility to make changes last minute, although we always endeavour to do so if we can. Apologies again, and we hope that the rest of your time in New Zealand was enjoyable. Kind regards, The Thrifty team
- RDRebeccaWaitomo, Rotorua and Hobbiton - 3 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 22, 2019Awesome trip! Well planned and helped to fit in a ton of activities in limited time!
- TFTerryWaitomo, Rotorua and Hobbiton - 3 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 21, 2019The 3 days was enough time to appreciate all the events included on the itinerary. A comment for the Tea Puhia management about the Kiwi house: make very clea…Read moreThrifty Tours commented on this reviewHi Terry, Thanks for getting in touch and it's great to hear that you had such a good time on your trip, and enjoyed seeing our kiwis. I have passed your feedback on to the above. Enjoy the rest of your travels! Kind Regards, The Thrifty team.
- MSMartinWaitomo, Rotorua and Hobbiton - 3 Days4.5 - ExcellentWritten on October 30, 2019The tour was well organised with good pickups.Could have been less Maori and geysers but overall a good variety of visits.Thrifty Tours commented on this reviewThank you for your comments
- AEAaronNorthern Combo - 6 Days4.5 - ExcellentWritten on September 1, 2019Met expectations. We stayed a few extra days and we were delighted that they still gave us a ride to the airport at the later date.Thrifty Tours commented on this reviewGlad you enjoyed your holiday, thank you for working with us and visiting New Zealand. See you next time!
- ASouthern Highlights (with Milford Sound) - 5 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on July 12, 2019was great everyone should do it
Thrifty Tours Tours
About Thrifty Tours
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
When is the best time to go to New Zealand?
New Zealand is beautiful in every season, but the best time to come really depends on what you would like to do. Please contact our Travel Experts for any recommendations and we will find a tour for you!
What is the South Island like?
If you love mountains, vineyards and dramatic scenery, then the South is the island you'll enjoy the most. With the Southern Alps running the length of the country you’re never far from some of the most remarkable views in the country. Renowned for it’s hiking, the South has five of New Zealand’s ‘Great Walks,’ multiple award-winning wineries, glaciers, rainforest, lakes and dusty plains. It is also home to the adventure capital of New Zealand, Queenstown!
What is the North Island like?
If you're more of a sun and sand kind of person, then the North Island is for you. It is significantly warmer than the South Island with many accessible surf beaches, coves and sheltered bays. The North is also home to geothermal Rotorua, all of New Zealand's active volcanoes, and the country’s capital city Wellington. It boasts the longest beach in New Zealand (Ninety Mile Beach) and its sub-tropical Bay of Island region is renowned for its white sand and crystal clear waters. Perfect for that tropical paradise!
Which island should I visit? The North, South or both?
This entirely depends on your travel times. Ideally, you would do both! Both islands are stunning and each island has unique individual attractions. However, if you have limited time we recommend choosing one island to thoroughly explore as opposed to trying to rush them both. There's always next time!
Do the coaches have toilets on board?
Thrifty has a fleet of modern coaches that have an onboard bathroom. However, for some travel periods, Intercity coaches will be used and these coaches do not have bathrooms on board. Please keep in mind that the coaches on all tours will usually stop every two hours on average for bathroom breaks and photo opportunities.
What time do the coaches leave?
Each tour has a different start and end time. Please contact our Travel Experts if you require a daily breakdown for the tour you are interested in.
What are the coaches like?
Thrifty has modern coaches that are fitted with superior suspension for comfort, air conditioning, reclining seats and an onboard bathroom. Please note that for some travel periods Intercity coaches will be used and therefore bathrooms may not be on board. Either way, the coaches are comfortable and guarantee you spectacular views!
What is an independent coach tour?
An independent coach tour is like a bespoke self-drive holiday without the driving. Where you would need to arrange your plans around an organised tour itinerary, Thrifty's customised coach tours are unique to you. They fit around your flights and any other commitments you might have while you are in New Zealand. Explore New Zealand your way!