Iceland Hiking- Laugavegur Trail
- +6 Destinations
- South Iceland
- Hike past impressive lava fields
- Trek to Lake Alftavatn
- Cross the Syðri Emstruá canyon
- Visit the Eyjafjallajökull volcano
- Age range
- 13 to 80 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- Hiking & Trekking, Adventure, Attraction-Based Hikes
- Rather Poor
- JulieWritten on August 15, 20185.0 - ExcellentIceland is FANTASTIC! I really enjoyed the hike and the self-drive. I would love to go back!Show detailed ratings
- JGJoshWritten on August 6, 20183.5 - GoodGreat trip fun peopleShow detailed ratings
- AZAdamWritten on August 5, 20185.0 - ExcellentMy guides Jackie and Megan made the tour much better and were both very friendly and knowledgeable!Show detailed ratings
- ARAmyWritten on July 27, 20185.0 - ExcellentGreat company, our group leader was enthusiastic and a pleasure to hike with. They went out of their to make the meals varied and delicious. Could not have gone with a better group! Everything was very well organised once our hike began. Thanks for the amazing trip, wish I could've stayed longer!Show detailed ratings
- LPLoriWritten on July 25, 20185.0 - ExcellentMero, Jackie, & Megan were the absolute best part of the trek. They worked so hard every single day, from morning to late night making sure that our entire group had everything we needed to be safe, warm, have a full belly, & be very happy. I can't say enough about our amazing guides. Having been on numerous guided treks before, i can honestly say, these 3 guides were THE best ones I've ever had. I can't recommend this trip enough. The trek was absolutely beautiful from start to finish with ever changing landscapes & weather. The majority of the trek involves tent camping with an included 1 night stay in a warm, dry, comfortable hut. I was so fortunate to have the group I trekked with because they were all very cool people. I absolutely loved my time on this trek & I highly recommend Carpe Mundo for the Laugavegur Trek. Absolutely awesome experience! Thank you so much Mero, Jackie, & Megan for absolutely everything. You really made this trip a wonderful & memorable experience.Show detailed ratings
- EVElisaWritten on July 24, 20184.0 - GoodThis travel is amazing, our 2 guides were very nice ! I recommend it !!!Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on July 24, 20185.0 - ExcellentMero, Jackie, & Megan were absolutely incredible guides. They did everything for us to make our trek incredibly enjoyable, even though they didn't have to. THey worked so hard, every single day & night. I've taken numerous other trekking vacations with other tour operators & no one has ever taken as great of care of the group as these 3 incredible individuals. I cannot not say enough great things about this tour & the incredible guides. The trek was stunning & the one night stay at the hut was a real treat, partly because wine was involved, but mostly because it was heated & we were able to sleep on thick, comfortable sleeping pads. The trek is all tent camping unless you choose to stay in the heated huts for $80/pp/per night. The food was always delicious. Mero really has the trail meals down to a science. Plus delicious desserts. The additional day at the end of the trek was well worth the stay. We hiked in to a canyon, crossed a glacial stream many times, drank from a small waterfall, & saw incredible beauty. I would highly advise adding on the extra day. I highly recommend Carpe Mundo & this Iceland Laugavegur trek. They do other tours in other countries which I plan to check out next year. Thank you so much Mero, Jackie, & Megan. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything you all did for us. It was a very memorable & awesome trek!Show detailed ratings
- JenWritten on June 6, 20181.0 - BadI did not actually take a tour. I didn't get that far. I emailed Carpe Mundo for information on the Iceland tour and no one got back to me. Then I emailed again and no one got back to me, so I decided to call. I got an answering machine and left a messsage for someone to get back to me.....twice - no one did. Here I am, a potential customer who is ready to take a trip, and they don't get back to me. I guess I should consider myself lucky. Perhaps I dodged a bullet as I can't imagine a company can do a good job of planning and carrying out a trip of this nature when they can't even give me information via phone or email.Show detailed ratings
- SMSue-AnneWritten on October 13, 20175.0 - ExcellentBest trip I've ever had! Not only was the scenery spectacular, the trip experience itself was made all the more pleasurable because of our guides. It was well organised, Carpe Mundo went out of their way to assist - when the airlines lost my backpack and gear, they suggested where I could buy clothes at a reasonable price, offered use of their own gear or where I could rent it, and the guides were extremely supportive. They were also supportive on the hike, helping and encouraging others who were struggling. The tents and gear used were good quality and the meals (even the trail snacks) were fantastic. We also saw a few spectacular sights off the beaten track, which most hikers probably miss if they didn't know about them. It was so great, I want to do it again!Show detailed ratings
- MMeganWritten on September 18, 20175.0 - ExcellentIf you like hiking, you will absolutely love this trip! It was the best hike I've ever done and some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. Mero and Simon were amazing! Highly recommend going with Carpe Mundo! If you are thinking about doing it, do it!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Transfer from Reykjavik
- Day 2: Hike to Hrafntinnusker (~7.5 miles)
- Day 3: Hike to Hvanngil (~11 miles)
- Day 4: Hike to Emstrur (~7.5 miles)
- Day 5: Hike to Thorsmork (~9.5 miles)
- Day 6: Optional Hiking & Return to Reykjavik
- Pre/Post Trip Travels
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Optional Extras
- Hiking Iceland's Laugavegur Trail
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
What time does the tour start?
The trip departs Reykjavik around 7:30 or 8 in the morning, the exact time varies depending on where in the city you are staying.
What is the usual hiking pace on this trip? Can we enjoy the scenery as to take as many photos as possible while hiking?
As far as the hiking goes, it goes at a mostly leisurely pace, hiking around 3-5 hours per day on average, depending on the length and the group. A 10 mile day is one of the longer days, and it usually takes 5-6 hours when you include the stops. You do take breaks for snacks, water, lunch, pictures/scenery, etc. The trip is designed to really enjoy the scenery and all of the beauty.
Is there a place on this trip were a river has to be crossed and there is no bridge?
There are 2-3 river crossings without a bridge. Usually the water is only about knee deep, although it can be a bit more or less depending on recent weather conditions. The leaders will instruct on the proper way to cross and can provide trekking poles for additional support if needed. So far this tour has never had anyone fall or drop anything while crossing.
Guides who have led this tour
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Annie14th May 2018
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Reykjavik.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Carpe Mundo booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 16 October 2018 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for Iceland Hiking- Laugavegur Trail, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Carpe Mundo will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Carpe Mundo tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
- 139 km
- Landmannalaugar (Iceland)
- 8 km
- Hrafntinnusker (Iceland)
- 10 km
- Lake Alftavatn (Iceland)
- 12 km
- Emstrur (Iceland)
- 8 km
- Thorsmork (Iceland)
- 12 km
- Eyjafjallajokull (Iceland)
- 125 km
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 8,984 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Iceland Hiking- Laugavegur Trail via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 13 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Iceland Hiking- Laugavegur Trail