Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018
- Relax on the deck as you drift through the Rhine Gorge,
- Visit towering Heidelberg Castle the fairytale Black Forest
- Be charmed by the timbered houses of La Petite France
- See a wine barrel so large it has a dance floor on top!
- Explore bohemian Amsterdam on a canal boat ride
- Age range
- 8 to 99 year olds
- Stateroom / Suite
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- River Cruise, In-depth Cultural
- Rather Poor
- RLRobertWritten on November 15, 20184.5 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Low water and motor coach use for part of the trip were the only issues. Avalon did a great job of working around the issues and has offered generous compensation for the inconvenience. I’ll use Avalon again.
- EddaWritten on November 9, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
I would be more than happy to recommend Avalon Waterways as a cruise provider. As the Rhine was too low to navigate at one point, Avalon provided an alternative day’s bus tour and transport to our new ship. They also refunded us a day’s cruising cost as... Read more
- JHJerryWritten on October 29, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
It was simply amazing!
- PKPeterWritten on September 27, 20184.0 - GoodShow detailed ratings
Over rated !!! I got food poisoning on the last day as did three others - there was no response to our needs - simply asked to leave to make way for passengers taking the river cruise back to Amsterdam. I cannot recommend this cruise.
- CCCarolinaWritten on September 17, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
- AVAndre'Written on August 25, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Fantastic cruise on the Rhine with helpful cooperative staff and great coordination from Monica from the Hospitality Desk. Also great optional tours to enhance knowledge. May I suggest that the gratuities are either included upfront as an all-in package or... Read more
- JBJenniferWritten on July 31, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Avalon really got everything right. Personalized but organized. Great value. Great service.
- YHYvonneWritten on June 11, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
This cruise was amazing and far exceeded my expectations.
- ARAlexanderWritten on June 9, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Outstanding service in every respect
- GJGeorgeWritten on April 28, 20184.5 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Fine dining filled by fine dancing
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Zürich, Switzerland. Transfer to Basel (Embarkation)
- Day 2: Breisach, Germany. Excursion to the Black Forest
- Day 3: Strasbourg, France
- Day 4: Excursion to Heidelberg, Germany–Mainz
- Day 5: Rüdesheim–Rhine Gorge–Koblenz
- Day 6: Cologne
- Day 7: Amsterdam, Holland
- Day 8: Amsterdam (Disembarkation)
Avalon Waterways Ship
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Are the shore excursions included in the tour price?
Everything in the itinerary in CAPITAL letters is included in the tour price. In the trip notes and under the 'Whats Included' tab you can find a list of the optional excursions. Please be aware that these are subject to change, however, if an excursion does become unavailable an alternative will be offered.
Would this tour be suitable for children and teens?
Avalon doesn't cater for children however they do have board games and areas where kids can hang out. During the summer there are many families who cruise so they would likely meet other children and teens during the holiday.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Vicki10th June 2018
Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018
- Upcoming departures
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
See dates of tour versions available to you below.
- TuesdayApr 2, 2019from Amsterdam8 DaysTuesdayApr 9, 2019to Basel0 seats leftAvalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$108USD $2,591
- TuesdayApr 9, 2019from Basel8 DaysTuesdayApr 16, 2019to Amsterdam0 seats leftAvalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$114USD $2,735
- TuesdayApr 16, 2019from Amsterdam8 DaysTuesdayApr 23, 2019to Basel0 seats leftAvalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$120USD $2,879
- TuesdayApr 23, 2019from Basel8 DaysTuesdayApr 30, 2019to Amsterdam9 seats left Avalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$276$3,298-8%USD $3,022+ $182 TaxesBased on Category D Twin
- SaturdayApr 27, 2019from Amsterdam8 DaysSaturdayMay 4, 2019to Basel0 seats leftAvalon PanoramaAvalon Panorama$128USD $3,071
- TuesdayApr 30, 2019from Amsterdam8 DaysTuesdayMay 7, 2019to Basel10+ seats left Avalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$280$3,398-8%USD $3,118+ $182 TaxesBased on Category D Twin
Reverse, 2019 version
- SaturdayMay 4, 2019from Basel8 DaysSaturdayMay 11, 2019to Amsterdam10+ seats left Avalon PanoramaAvalon Panorama$372$3,299-11%USD $2,927+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- SaturdayMay 4, 2019from Amsterdam8 DaysSaturdayMay 11, 2019to Basel10+ seats left Avalon VistaAvalon Vista$284$3,498-8%USD $3,214+ $182 TaxesBased on Category D Twin
Reverse, 2019 version
- TuesdayMay 7, 2019from Basel8 DaysTuesdayMay 14, 2019to Amsterdam10+ seats left Avalon ExpressionAvalon Expression$276$3,299-8%USD $3,023+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- SaturdayMay 11, 2019from Basel8 DaysSaturdayMay 18, 2019to Amsterdam10+ seats left Avalon VistaAvalon Vista$616$3,399-18%USD $2,783+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroGermany and Netherlands
Plugs & Adapters
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Switzerland and Germany. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Zurich is the starting point and Amsterdam is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Avalon Waterways to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this Avalon Waterways booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 19 April 2019 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Avalon Waterways tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Zurich (Switzerland)
- 74 km
- Basel (Switzerland)
- 53 km
- Breisach am Rhein (Germany)
- 55 km
- Black Forest (Germany)
- 43 km
- Strasbourg (Germany)
- 113 km
- Heidelberg (Germany)
- 73 km
- Mainz (Germany)
- 23 km
- Rudesheim (Germany)
- 49 km
- Koblenz (Germany)
- 78 km
- Cologne (Germany)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 10,272 tours in Europe
- covered by 332 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 29 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018