Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018
- Our saving
- US $ 2,449
- +9 Destinations
- Relax on the deck as you drift through the Rhine Gorge,
- Visit towering Heidelberg Castle the fairytale Black Forest
- Be charmed by the timbered houses of La Petite France
- See a wine barrel so large it has a dance floor on top!
- Explore bohemian Amsterdam on a canal boat ride
- Age range
- 15 to 99 year olds
- Stateroom / Suite
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- River Cruise, In-depth Cultural
- Rather Poor
- PKPeterWritten on September 27, 20184.0 - GoodOver rated !!! I got food poisoning on the last day as did three others - there was no response to our needs - simply asked to leave to make way for passengers taking the river cruise back to Amsterdam. I cannot recommend this cruise.Show detailed ratings
- AVAndre'Written on August 25, 20185.0 - ExcellentFantastic cruise on the Rhine with helpful cooperative staff and great coordination from Monica from the Hospitality Desk. Also great optional tours to enhance knowledge. May I suggest that the gratuities are either included upfront as an all-in package or the relative envelopes left in the individual cabins duly marked with names of contributors (or cabin number) and not left anonymous.Show detailed ratings
- JBJenniferWritten on July 31, 20185.0 - ExcellentAvalon really got everything right. Personalized but organized. Great value. Great service.Show detailed ratings
- YHYvonneWritten on June 11, 20185.0 - ExcellentThis cruise was amazing and far exceeded my expectations.Show detailed ratings
- ARAlexanderWritten on June 9, 20185.0 - ExcellentOutstanding service in every respectShow detailed ratings
- GJGeorgeWritten on April 28, 20184.5 - ExcellentFine dining filled by fine dancingShow detailed ratings
- LBLynetteWritten on May 7, 20174.0 - GoodThe boat and staff were lovely but the cruise itself was disappointing. You are led to believe that it is beautiful cruising the Rhine with all the scenary however that was only 1 day of the 7 we were on there. The rest of the time was passing industrial areas very boring sights. The excursions on land though were generally great. Would not bother with Cologne though - not worth it.Show detailed ratings
- ACANTHONYWritten on August 17, 20165.0 - ExcellentThe Avalon Waterways Cruise is simply stunning. Compared to other cruise ships that sail along with us, Avalon seems to be shining out than the rest. From the moment you embark the ship, you feel like entering into a five star hotel. The Captain, the Cruise Director and the crew are all very professional and service oriented. Even to the activities of the day, the bus comes on time and the day tour went on very smoothly. Upon disembarkation, I kept telling to myself that someday, I will be on that ship again for another voyage to enjoy!Show detailed ratings
- SBSharonWritten on July 27, 20165.0 - ExcellentWe loved our Romantic Rhine cruise! The small ship experience is so much more relaxing than a cruise ship. The crew took such great care of everything, excellent food and service! The tours included were educational and fun, something special at each destination. We love Avalon!Show detailed ratings
- MLMaryWritten on July 27, 20165.0 - ExcellentAvalon was our best first river cruise in 2014 on the Romantic Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam during the Christmas markets. We loved our room, the wonderfully prepared meals and all the staff. We plan on going again this year on the Heart of Germany tour.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Zürich, Switzerland. Transfer to Basel (Embarkation)
- Day 2: Breisach, Germany. Excursion to the Black Forest
- Day 3: Strasbourg, France
- Day 4: Excursion to Heidelberg, Germany–Mainz
- Day 5: Rüdesheim–Rhine Gorge–Koblenz
- Day 6: Cologne
- Day 7: Amsterdam, Holland
- Day 8: Amsterdam (Disembarkation)
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
Avalon Waterways Ships
- Avalon AffinityCruise the unique rivers of Europe while visiting historic places aboard the magnificent 361 feet Avalon Affinity, an exciting and intima… Read moreBuilt2009Crew39Length361 ft.Suites4Staterooms65
- Avalon FelicityExperience Europe through its waterways aboard Avalon’s well-known and beloved cruise ship, the Avalon Felicity. Designed to create… Read moreBuilt2010Crew39Length361 ft.Suites4Staterooms65
- Avalon Tranquillity IIShowcasing an intimate setting with ultra-modern amenities, the Avalon Tranquillity II is another remarkable addition to the Suite Ship&r… Read moreBuilt2015Crew37Suites52Staterooms12
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Are the shore excursions included in the tour price?
Everything in the itinerary in CAPITAL letters is included in the tour price. In the trip notes and under the 'Whats Included' tab you can find a list of the optional excursions. Please be aware that these are subject to change, however, if an excursion does become unavailable an alternative will be offered.
Would this tour be suitable for children and teens?
Avalon doesn't cater for children however they do have board games and areas where kids can hang out. During the summer there are many families who cruise so they would likely meet other children and teens during the holiday.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Desislava12th June 2018
Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
- SaturdayOct 27, 2018from Zurich8 DaysSaturdayNov 3, 2018to Amsterdam0 seats leftAvalon Tranquillity IIAvalon Tranquillity IIUSD $2,749Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- SundayOct 28, 2018from Zurich8 DaysSundayNov 4, 2018to AmsterdamOnly 1 seat leftAvalon AffinityAvalon Affinity$150$2,699-6%USD $2,549
- SundayNov 4, 2018from Zurich8 DaysSundayNov 11, 2018to AmsterdamOnly 1 seat leftAvalon FelicityAvalon Felicity$250$2,699-9%USD $2,449Book Online Hold my
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroGermany and Netherlands
Plugs & Adapters
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Switzerland and Germany. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Zurich is the starting point and Amsterdam is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Avalon Waterways to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this Avalon Waterways booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 17 January 2019 the full payment of $2,449 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $2449 for Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Avalon Waterways tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Zurich (Switzerland)
- 74 km
- Basel (Switzerland)
- 53 km
- Breisach am Rhein (Germany)
- 55 km
- Black Forest (Germany)
- 43 km
- Strasbourg (Germany)
- 113 km
- Heidelberg (Germany)
- 73 km
- Mainz (Germany)
- 23 km
- Rudesheim (Germany)
- 49 km
- Koblenz (Germany)
- 78 km
- Cologne (Germany)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $2,449 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,394 tours in Europe
- covered by 259 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 25 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Romantic Rhine – Northbound 2018