Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only
Save $500 until Sep 26
ends on 26 Sep 2018
- Our saving
- US $ 1,899
+ $168 Taxes
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
Leigh "Travelling on a calm river is fabulous - no risk of motion sickness at all. Beautiful shoreline sights along the way, but don't expect to see castles every 5 min. Unfortunately, you can't possibly see everything on the Itinerary and there were too many early mornings (for being on vacation). Recommend using the bicycles to explore on your own wherever possible and really good shoes! The Avalon sta..."
- +5 Destinations
Start in Budapest and end in Nuremberg ! With the river cruise tour Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only, you have a 8 day tour package taking you from Budapest to Nuremberg and through Budapest, Hungary and 6 other destinations in Europe. Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only includes accommodation as well as an expert guide, meals, transport.
- Age range
- 8 to 99 year olds
- Stateroom / Suite
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- River Cruise
- Rather Poor
- KKKevinWritten on September 15, 20184.5 - ExcellentI thought it very good. I will not repeat it, as it is an extreme indulgence. The tours were quite good. It would be excellent to include scientifically oriented discussions, e.g., on the changes to Weinbau due to global warming.Show detailed ratings
- DSDiWritten on September 12, 20184.0 - GoodAlthough I rated tour good for what we actually did do, there was about 2/3 of the Danube cruise omitted due to low water which severely impacted on the cruise aspect. Cancelling the cruise from Budapest to Vienna past Bratislava was only very partially compensated for by offering the free musical concert in Vienna ( after bus ride to Vienna). What some of us wanted, and did not get from Avalon, was a free, organised cruise on local boats along the Danube in the Budapest city area. Despite asking the tour guide on day 1 (when the extent of curtailment of our tour was finally made plain to us) to replace lost days of cruising with a local cruise, day or night, around Budapest, which was clearly available on any number of commercial options, Avalon took zero notice of our request. We made our own bookings at our expense and did a commercial cruise at midday and again after dark viewing the city lights, which was a highlight of our stay in Budapest. The city orientation tour of Budapest was good, but we felt that a short stop at Heroes Square should have been allowed for in that itinerary, to allow for photographs, which were not successful from a moving bus & into the sun. The stop in the main castle hill area was excellent, allowing more than ample time to see Fishermen's Bastion & Matthias Church and time to saunter around or have a coffee, but I would have preferred 15 minutes less there with a 15 min stop at Heroes Square. Hotel Intercontinental excellent, central and lots of Cafes & restaurants along the river made for great atmosphere. Similarly Hilton Prague, although not on the river. The ship was excellent, just a pity the cruising was so curtailed. Food served & service excellent. Stopovers at each port with an included sightseeing tour were also good & gave an insight into history. Walking occasionally a little strenuous up & downhill cobbled streets. We found the included walking tours of Vienna, Durnstein, Melk, Linz, Passau & Regensberg all very worthwhile and preferred to do these local included options to taking the further away optional tours offered to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov etc. Overall a good holiday, but not what we thought we had signed up for, due to low water is understood, but we feel that Avalon knew the situation, particularly of not being able to get to Regensburg on the River, let alone Nuremburg, for some two months, but neglected to inform us until 3 days before travel when we had already flown from Australia to Europe and cancelling even with refund was not an option. I would want to be much more informed and aware of river levels in season before booking another cruise. Cruise Blue Danube Discovery August 15th 2018.Show detailed ratings
- SRStuartWritten on September 11, 20184.5 - ExcellentA wonderful cruise. Too bad the low water level on the Danube River created difficulties with the embarkation point and final destination. The crew and cruise director made a great effort to make as much of the itinerary work as possible. Avalon is a great service provider and our ship, Impression, was only four years old. Wish we had been told more about pre-cruise options in Budapest.Show detailed ratings
- MUMaureenWritten on September 1, 20183.0 - AverageWe only had two days of sailing for the whole trip. The rest we were either in a coach going to look at churches or docked in a big city like Vienna or Linz both places we were there two nights with ships on either side of us so we couldn’t even open the curtains in our room. We were three days into our cruise before we even fly dock. The two days cruising were magic but I expected the whole cruise to be mostly sailing down the river. I realize the Danube water level was too low. But the first time we New about that was when you let us know not Avalon Waterways. The rest of the patrons had had meetings about the situation two days before us. A very expensive cruise and one of a life time. $10,000 dollars is a lot of money to sit on a bus and sit in dock. Met some wonderful people on board and the ship and crew were great but the cruise was badShow detailed ratings
- JGJoanneWritten on August 25, 20184.5 - ExcellentDespite the trials of low water at either end of the cruise, crew worked very hard to make the best of everything, Thoroughly enjoyed and would go againShow detailed ratings
- HHowardSomersWritten on August 15, 20181.0 - BadThe cruise we were on was canceled with 5 days notice. No attempt was made to accommodate us, even though we were already on our way to Europe for our pre-cruise trip.Show detailed ratings
- SGSanciaWritten on July 26, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe boat was pristine and the service was incomparable. The sites selected were enchanting and often quaint. The various tour guides were well informed. I would highly recommend Avalon.Show detailed ratings
- LDLeighWritten on June 18, 20184.5 - ExcellentTravelling on a calm river is fabulous - no risk of motion sickness at all. Beautiful shoreline sights along the way, but don't expect to see castles every 5 min. Unfortunately, you can't possibly see everything on the Itinerary and there were too many early mornings (for being on vacation). Recommend using the bicycles to explore on your own wherever possible and really good shoes! The Avalon staff were fantastic and made every effort to accommodate our special requests. Would definitely recommend Tour Radar and Avalon.Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on May 28, 20184.5 - ExcellentRiver cruise is much easier to be on and off I think I would go for river cruise more in the future I’m planning to get on North Holland tulip cruiseShow detailed ratings
- FDFrancisWritten on October 13, 20173.5 - Good3 days in Prague wasn"t the experience it should have been due to the location of the hotel being on the opposite side of the river from the old town. The hotel was good but the location limited the experience. Shuttles were provided but times weren't helpful. Ours ,Andel , was not listed in their promotions. The included tours were underwhelming, mostly any place that didn't "t require an entrance fee. Free time on the tours was not enough to explore further. The focus was on optional tours at additional cost. Food was excellent Restaurant service was excellent Cruise Director was mediocre - suggesting concerns be referred to our travel agent. Beds and linens good . Cleanliness average - dirty dishes on 3 occasion s and hair in the eggs... Would Not travel Avalon again! Last river cruise 4 years ago ws on the Rhine with AMA...better experience all round.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Budapest, Hungary (Embarkation)
- Day 2: Budapest–Vienna, Austria
- Day 3: Vienna
- Day 4: Dürnstein–Melk
- Day 5: Passau, Germany
- Day 6: Regensburg
- Day 7: Nuremberg
- Day 8: Nuremberg
Avalon Waterways Ship
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Sheila11th May 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only
Select Departure Month
- Upcoming departures
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
STARTENDSEATS LEFTTRANSPORTSAVE NOW PRICE
- FridayNov 30, 2018from Budapest8 DaysFridayDec 7, 2018to Nuremberg10+ seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon Illumination$500$3,598-14%USD $3,098+ $168 TaxesBased on Category A TwinBook Online Hold my
- FridayDec 14, 2018from Budapest8 DaysFridayDec 21, 2018to Nuremberg10+ seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon Illumination$500$2,399-21%USD $1,899+ $168 TaxesBased on Category E TwinBook Online Hold my
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- EuroAustria and Germany
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Hungary. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Hungary. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Hungary, Austria and Germany. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Budapest is the starting point and Nuremberg is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Avalon Waterways to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this Avalon Waterways booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 18 December 2018 the full payment of $1,899 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1899 for Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Avalon Waterways tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 648 km.
- Budapest (Hungary)
- 214 km
- Vienna (Austria)
- 66 km
- Durnstein (Austria)
- 23 km
- Melk (Austria)
- 147 km
- Passau (Germany)
- 110 km
- Regensburg (Germany)
- 89 km
- Nuremberg (Germany)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,899 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,827 tours in Europe
- covered by 254 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 17 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Festive Time on the Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only