The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018
The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018Download PDF Brochure
Di "Although I rated tour good for what we actually did do, there was about 2/3 of the Danube cruise omitted due to low water which severely impacted on the cruise aspect. Cancelling the cruise from Budapest to Vienna past Bratislava was only very partially compensated for by offering the free musical concert in Vienna ( after bus ride to Vienna). What some of us wanted, and did not get from Avalon, ..."
1 / 1
- +6 Destinations
Start in Budapest and end in Prague ! With the river cruise tour The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018, you have a 13 day tour package taking you from Budapest to Prague and through Budapest, Hungary and 7 other destinations in Europe. The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018 includes accommodation as well as an expert guide, meals, transport.
- Rather Poor
- CCynthiacoolslartigueWritten on October 10, 20181.0 - BadMy husband and I were to board the ship "Illumination" on October 10th sailing from Budapest. We would be on our flight as I type but checking in 24 hours ago for our Lufthansa flight ago we realized that there was a problem. We then noticed that an email was sent at 2pm that day advising us that our cruise was canceled. We were given a few options and sadly we chose to cancel and not rebook. This was a trip that had been on my bucket list and we booked well in advance to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Upon perusing sites relating to the Danube, it had been well noted that River water levels had been at an all time low for months. We had been advised in September that there was to be a ship change because of the water levels. We question why the decision to cancel this cruise was at the last minute when the water levels were problematic for along time before, I cannot even describe my sadness and disappointment that we have forfeited what was to be my dream vacation. Had we been given more time to make new plans that would have saved us our airfare this disappointment might have been less stressful. We will lose around 1000$ in flights that we booked to take us from Budapest to prague as we extended our stay at both ends. I am also reluctant to rebook as the pain of this happening again would be too much.Show detailed ratings
- RVRiaanWritten on October 4, 20185.0 - ExcellentOur Blue Danube tour with Avalon was an experience of a lifetime. Although water levels were low and this required some tweaking to the itinerary, they managed it very well without detracting from the experience. Accommodation on the Avalon ship was of a very high standard, as was the catering. All staff went the extra mile to make our stay a very memorable one. Hotels we stayed in in Budapest and Prague were also excellent and very well located to see the sights of the cities.Show detailed ratings
- KKKevinWritten on September 15, 20184.5 - ExcellentI thought it very good. I will not repeat it, as it is an extreme indulgence. The tours were quite good. It would be excellent to include scientifically oriented discussions, e.g., on the changes to Weinbau due to global warming.Show detailed ratings
- DSDiWritten on September 12, 20184.0 - GoodAlthough I rated tour good for what we actually did do, there was about 2/3 of the Danube cruise omitted due to low water which severely impacted on the cruise aspect. Cancelling the cruise from Budapest to Vienna past Bratislava was only very partially compensated for by offering the free musical concert in Vienna ( after bus ride to Vienna). What some of us wanted, and did not get from Avalon, was a free, organised cruise on local boats along the Danube in the Budapest city area. Despite asking the tour guide on day 1 (when the extent of curtailment of our tour was finally made plain to us) to replace lost days of cruising with a local cruise, day or night, around Budapest, which was clearly available on any number of commercial options, Avalon took zero notice of our request. We made our own bookings at our expense and did a commercial cruise at midday and again after dark viewing the city lights, which was a highlight of our stay in Budapest. The city orientation tour of Budapest was good, but we felt that a short stop at Heroes Square should have been allowed for in that itinerary, to allow for photographs, which were not successful from a moving bus & into the sun. The stop in the main castle hill area was excellent, allowing more than ample time to see Fishermen's Bastion & Matthias Church and time to saunter around or have a coffee, but I would have preferred 15 minutes less there with a 15 min stop at Heroes Square. Hotel Intercontinental excellent, central and lots of Cafes & restaurants along the river made for great atmosphere. Similarly Hilton Prague, although not on the river. The ship was excellent, just a pity the cruising was so curtailed. Food served & service excellent. Stopovers at each port with an included sightseeing tour were also good & gave an insight into history. Walking occasionally a little strenuous up & downhill cobbled streets. We found the included walking tours of Vienna, Durnstein, Melk, Linz, Passau & Regensberg all very worthwhile and preferred to do these local included options to taking the further away optional tours offered to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov etc. Overall a good holiday, but not what we thought we had signed up for, due to low water is understood, but we feel that Avalon knew the situation, particularly of not being able to get to Regensburg on the River, let alone Nuremburg, for some two months, but neglected to inform us until 3 days before travel when we had already flown from Australia to Europe and cancelling even with refund was not an option. I would want to be much more informed and aware of river levels in season before booking another cruise. Cruise Blue Danube Discovery August 15th 2018.Show detailed ratings
- SRStuartWritten on September 11, 20184.5 - ExcellentA wonderful cruise. Too bad the low water level on the Danube River created difficulties with the embarkation point and final destination. The crew and cruise director made a great effort to make as much of the itinerary work as possible. Avalon is a great service provider and our ship, Impression, was only four years old. Wish we had been told more about pre-cruise options in Budapest.Show detailed ratings
- WMWilliamWritten on September 4, 20184.5 - ExcellentLow water in the Danube didn't help.Show detailed ratings
- MUMaureenWritten on September 1, 20183.0 - AverageWe only had two days of sailing for the whole trip. The rest we were either in a coach going to look at churches or docked in a big city like Vienna or Linz both places we were there two nights with ships on either side of us so we couldn’t even open the curtains in our room. We were three days into our cruise before we even fly dock. The two days cruising were magic but I expected the whole cruise to be mostly sailing down the river. I realize the Danube water level was too low. But the first time we New about that was when you let us know not Avalon Waterways. The rest of the patrons had had meetings about the situation two days before us. A very expensive cruise and one of a life time. $10,000 dollars is a lot of money to sit on a bus and sit in dock. Met some wonderful people on board and the ship and crew were great but the cruise was badShow detailed ratings
- JGJoanneWritten on August 25, 20184.5 - ExcellentDespite the trials of low water at either end of the cruise, crew worked very hard to make the best of everything, Thoroughly enjoyed and would go againShow detailed ratings
- HHowardSomersWritten on August 15, 20181.0 - BadThe cruise we were on was canceled with 5 days notice. No attempt was made to accommodate us, even though we were already on our way to Europe for our pre-cruise trip.Show detailed ratings
- SGSanciaWritten on July 26, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe boat was pristine and the service was incomparable. The sites selected were enchanting and often quaint. The various tour guides were well informed. I would highly recommend Avalon.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Budapest, Hungary
- Day 2: Budapest
- Day 3: Budapest (Embarkation)
- Day 4: Budapest–Vienna, Austria
- Day 5: Vienna
- Day 6: Dürnstein–Melk
- Day 7: Passau, Germany
- Day 8: Regensburg
- Day 9: Nuremberg
- Day 10: Nuremberg (Disembarkation)–Prague, Czech Republic
- Day 11: Prague
- Day 12: Prague
- Day 13: Prague
Avalon Waterways Ship
Expand allDownload PDF Brochure
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Ellen22nd July 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018
Select Departure Month
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
STARTENDSEATS LEFTTRANSPORTSAVE NOW PRICE
- WednesdayOct 31, 2018from Budapest13 DaysMondayNov 12, 2018to Prague0 seats leftAvalon PassionAvalon PassionUSD $3,509Sold outSee similar tours on this date
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- EuroAustria and Germany
- KorunaCzech Republic
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Hungary, Austria, Germany and Czech Republic. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Budapest is the starting point and Prague is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Avalon Waterways to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this Avalon Waterways booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 20 January 2019 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Avalon Waterways tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 899 km.
- Budapest (Hungary)
- 214 km
- Vienna (Austria)
- 66 km
- Durnstein (Austria)
- 23 km
- Melk (Austria)
- 147 km
- Passau (Germany)
- 110 km
- Regensburg (Germany)
- 89 km
- Nuremberg (Germany)
- 250 km
- Prague (Czech Republic)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,511 tours in Europe
- covered by 254 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 20 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers 2018