The Blue Danube Discovery 2018
- +9 Destinations
- Cruise along the Danube in a luxury vessel
- Marvel at the bridges of vibrant Budapest
- See the grand architecture of Mozart's Vienna
- Sample the local plum dumplings and Pilsner in Prague
- Visit German medieval cities Nuremberg and Regensburg
- Age range
- 8 to 99 year olds
- Stateroom / Suite
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
- River Cruise
- Rather Poor
- NJNFNWritten on December 17, 20183.5 - GoodShow detailed ratings
We had some trouble because the level of the river was low, and so a lot of our tour ended up being bus rides, and not on the boat as we were expecting. We received a partial refund for this, but it was not nearly enough to cover the amount of trip lost.... Read more
- EHEugeneWritten on November 6, 20183.5 - GoodShow detailed ratings
The tour checked off what it needed to do, but fall short of expectations on delivering a high end experience.
- JBJuneWritten on November 4, 20184.0 - GoodShow detailed ratings
Despite the conditions of the river and sometimes weather most things we enjoyed. Sometimes a little rushed going from a meal to a scheduled tour. Free time in most places pretty limited. Some items at breakfast not hot enough. Food presented was on the... Read more
- CCynthiacoolslartigueWritten on October 10, 20181.0 - BadShow detailed ratings
My husband and I were to board the ship "Illumination" on October 10th sailing from Budapest. We would be on our flight as I type but checking in 24 hours ago for our Lufthansa flight ago we realized that there was a problem. We then noticed that an email... Read more
- RVRiaanWritten on October 4, 20185.0 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Our Blue Danube tour with Avalon was an experience of a lifetime. Although water levels were low and this required some tweaking to the itinerary, they managed it very well without detracting from the experience. Accommodation on the Avalon ship was of a... Read more
- KKKevinWritten on September 15, 20184.5 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
I thought it very good. I will not repeat it, as it is an extreme indulgence. The tours were quite good. It would be excellent to include scientifically oriented discussions, e.g., on the changes to Weinbau due to global warming.
- DSDiWritten on September 12, 20184.0 - GoodShow detailed ratings
Although I rated tour good for what we actually did do, there was about 2/3 of the Danube cruise omitted due to low water which severely impacted on the cruise aspect. Cancelling the cruise from Budapest to Vienna past Bratislava was only very partially... Read more
- SRStuartWritten on September 11, 20184.5 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
A wonderful cruise. Too bad the low water level on the Danube River created difficulties with the embarkation point and final destination. The crew and cruise director made a great effort to make as much of the itinerary work as possible. Avalon is a... Read more
- WMWilliamWritten on September 4, 20184.5 - ExcellentShow detailed ratings
Low water in the Danube didn't help.
- MUMaureenWritten on September 1, 20183.0 - AverageShow detailed ratings
We only had two days of sailing for the whole trip. The rest we were either in a coach going to look at churches or docked in a big city like Vienna or Linz both places we were there two nights with ships on either side of us so we couldn’t even open the... Read more
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Budapest, Hungary
- Day 2: Budapest
- Day 3: Budapest (Embarkation)
- Day 4: Budapest–Vienna, Austria
- Day 5: Vienna
- Day 6: Dürnstein–Melk
- Day 7: Passau, Germany
- Day 8: Regensburg
- Day 9: Nuremberg
- Day 10: Nuremberg (Disembarkation)–Prague, Czech Republic
- Day 11: Prague
- Day 12: Prague
- Day 13: Prague
Avalon Waterways Ship
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Does Avalon offer a senior discount on their cruises?
Avalon does not offer any senior discounts, however, we recommend signing up to be a TourRadar member if you haven't already and that way you can be notified of any sales on at the time to ensure you don't miss out.
Where can I find more detailed information about this tour?
A trip note - which contains essential information about your trip will be given to you. Information such as the daily itinerary, where to meet on the first day, what time the trip starts, how to get to the joining point hotel, included activities, visa information, etc will be mentioned in there. Please contact us for this.
Is the price per person or per couple?
All the pricing on our site is per person twin share.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Vicki10th June 2018
The Blue Danube Discovery 2018
- Upcoming departures
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
See dates of tour versions available to you below.
- TuesdayApr 9, 2019from Budapest12 DaysSaturdayApr 20, 2019to Prague10+ seats left Avalon Imagery IIAvalon Imagery II$500$4,898-10%USD $4,398+ $182 TaxesBased on Category A Twin
- ThursdayApr 11, 2019from Budapest8 DaysThursdayApr 18, 2019to Nuremberg10+ seats left Avalon Imagery IIAvalon Imagery II$500$3,998-13%USD $3,498+ $182 TaxesBased on Category A Twin
- TuesdayApr 16, 2019from Budapest12 DaysSaturdayApr 27, 2019to Prague10+ seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon IlluminationUSD $3,799+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- ThursdayApr 18, 2019from Budapest8 DaysThursdayApr 25, 2019to Nuremberg10+ seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon IlluminationUSD $2,899+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- SundayApr 21, 2019from Budapest12 DaysThursdayMay 2, 2019to Prague10+ seats left EnvisionEnvisionUSD $4,049+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- TuesdayApr 23, 2019from Prague10 DaysThursdayMay 2, 2019to Budapest9 seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon Illumination$750$3,619-21%USD $2,869+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
10 Days, Reverse, 2019 version
- TuesdayApr 23, 2019from Budapest8 DaysTuesdayApr 30, 2019to Nuremberg9 seats left EnvisionEnvisionUSD $3,149+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
- SundayApr 28, 2019from Prague10 DaysTuesdayMay 7, 2019to Budapest0 seats leftEnvisionEnvisionUSD $3,669Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- TuesdayApr 30, 2019from Budapest12 DaysSaturdayMay 11, 2019to Prague10+ seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon IlluminationUSD $4,099+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
Wine Lovers version
- ThursdayMay 2, 2019from Budapest8 DaysThursdayMay 9, 2019to Nuremberg8 seats left Avalon IlluminationAvalon IlluminationUSD $3,199+ $182 TaxesBased on Category E Twin
Wine Lovers – Cruise Only version
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroAustria and Germany
- KorunaCzech Republic
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Hungary, Austria, Germany and Czech Republic. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Budapest is the starting point and Prague is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Avalon Waterways to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this Avalon Waterways booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 18 March 2019 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for The Blue Danube Discovery 2018, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Avalon Waterways tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Budapest (Hungary)
- 214 km
- Vienna (Austria)
- 66 km
- Durnstein (Austria)
- 23 km
- Melk (Austria)
- 147 km
- Passau (Germany)
- 89 km
- Salzburg (Austria)
- 146 km
- Cesky Krumlov (Czech Republic)
- 70 km
- Passau (Germany)
- 110 km
- Regensburg (Germany)
- 89 km
- Nuremberg (Germany)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 10,097 tours in Europe
- covered by 311 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 15 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on The Blue Danube Discovery 2018