The Great Eastern
- Our saving
- US $ 1,986
- Age range
- 18 to 39 year olds
- Hostel, Hotel
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Rather Poor
- MMMoWritten on July 20, 20174.5 - ExcellentThe trip definitely surpassed all my expectations of the trip and it was simply from how our trip leader Judes facilitated the tour. Her amazing personality, genuine care for our satisfaction and passion/knlowedge of the history really made our trip a journey and lifetime experience. I simply could not have asked for a better person to guide us around Europe thanks to Judes we got to make the most of every moment and there was never time that was dull or uneventful. Judes would always go out of her way to create a personal and positive environment for all and that is a big amd difficult job for the 60+ people that came through yet she did it seamlessly and without any hestiation. I am so grateful we had her as our leader as that is what she truly is a Leader she adapted easily and quickly to any situation and supported everyone on how they wanted to enjoy their holiday. Could not recommend any better!Show detailed ratings
- JosieWritten on July 20, 20174.0 - GoodThe tour was amazing, filled with incredible places and things to do. The accomodation was okay, but the location and how close we were was more important which made using a free day much easier. Tour guide Judes made the trip enjoyable for everyone, with leading advice and knowledge of every city I was able to get historical and cultural information. Topdeck was a great service and would definitely do again.Show detailed ratings
- Ssimeontw@hotmail.comWritten on June 9, 20164.0 - GoodIt was an awesome trip and Piotr was a massive part of that. A very fun guy to be away with and made the time a great oneShow detailed ratings
- YTYoditWritten on December 10, 20154.0 - GoodMonika is an exceptional tour guide who is extremely well spoken for! With her wealth of knowledge and ability to remember the most minute detail, I wouldn't have wanted to have any one else leading our tour! Not only that but she knew exactly how to make everyone feel at home, and how to manage a diverse group of people extremely well. Her ability to work hard and play harder is amazing - she did both better then everyone on the trip. I loved how well she connected her life and experiences to making our trip and time spent in each country more personal. Thanks for helping to make my trip the best it could be Monika!Show detailed ratingsTopdeck commented on this reviewThanks Yodit for kind words. Hope to see you again soon. Topdeck :)
- DanielaWritten on December 10, 20154.5 - ExcellentThe one thing that really stood out about Monika is how much she cares about every single person on her tour. She not only wants to make sure you are having the experience of a lifetime, but she also wants to make sure you are safe. Monika has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to European history and makes sure to provide plenty of background information on the countries you will be visiting. Thanks Monika for everything!Show detailed ratingsTopdeck commented on this reviewThanks Daniela, Monika has been with Topdeck for couple years now and is very passionate about her job and passengers. Thanks Topdeck :)
- SpartacusWritten on May 14, 20154.0 - GoodAccomodation: The places we stayed were quite nice. The exception being Mykonos which is a very basic cabin, think of a big sturdy tent with 4 beds, but you are never in the cabin and when you step out of your cabin you are hit with an amazing view so it's not that bad. All the other ones are well located and are safe and secure. Meals: Food was actually really good, way above expectations. Itinerary: It is a wonderful part of the world to explore most cities.Belgrade and Tirana are just pit stops though. We arrived in Belgrade at 6pm, dropped off our bags, went to a restaurant then back to the hostel so saw nothing really. In Tirana the accomodation is amazing, a palace on top of a hill and pool but the general vibe is it is best not to leave the hotel, it is like a big fortress. Mykonos was my favourite place followed by Dubrovnik, both fantastic in very different ways. Sarajevo was really nice too. Tour group: The other people on the tour....hmmm, well.......is was a mix of personalities, that's for sure. Understand that this is the 3rd + 4th week of a 5 week tour and people on the bus will have joined in London, Athens or Dubrovnik. Because of the fact people are starting and ending the tour at different points it felt very much a case of strategic friendships. Where the London start people stuck together, the Athens start people stuck together and the Dubrovnik start people stuck together. This is sort of understandable as someone may not want to invest too much into people if they're on tour for 5 weeks and you are on it for only 2 weeks but it became very cliquey, but this can happen with this tour structure. Unfortunately I wasn't loving my default clique and it was hard to find a better option, a lot of people on my tour were very serious, no nonsense types who I didn't connect with and whose topics of conversation were limited to complaining about other people on the tour or their job back home or snide remarks about the locals. Due to the negative vibe I started to disengage a bit. There were some really nice people on the tour but I think due to the strategic friendships issue it was hard to spend time with them whilst avoiding some others.This is a really good tour but if I could do it over knowing what I know now I would have brought a friend along to make it better, or treated it as merely transport and made more efforts to chat up the locals. Optionals: None. Tour Guide: Nice bloke, good sense of humor. There were not really any extra activities organised, just what was in the brochure. At first I thought this must be how TopDeck do things but I suspect he had enough of the negativity as I did and only wanted to spend as much time with the group as he was contractually obligated to. That is fair enough. Overall verdict: Great value, great itinerary, if going solo pray the people starting with you in Athens have a sense of humour or take your mates! :-)Show detailed ratings
- HHeatherWritten on December 13, 20144.5 - ExcellentI had the most amazing time on my TopDeck tour. I was so sad for it to end, I would have gladly stayed on that bus for at least another month and continued exploring all that Europe has to offer. Our trip leader, Barry Gallagher, went above and beyond for each and everyone one of us. I am really grateful to have had such a wonderful experience and I am very thankful to Barry and Ross for guiding us through Eastern Europe. I also wanted to say how much I enjoyed learning about the history of the places we visited, Barry had a great deal of knowledge to offer and I learnt many interesting things.Show detailed ratings
- ThorWritten on June 20, 20144.0 - GoodThe places you see are great, the accommodation and included meals are far better than I was expecting. Mykonos was fantastic and the hotel locations are all convenient and well located. It varies between 3 and 8 people in a room depending on where you stay and they rotate room mates so it is never the same people which does help getting to know people and never feels crowded. There are a lot of positives about the region and would definitely recommend going there. The bus wasn't that comfortable and some of the roads we travelled out were very bumpy. Keep in my with the Great Eastern Tour, it is 2 weeks of a 5 week tour and you are joining an existing tour. These are multiple tours that combine into the full tour so there were people coming and going regularly. Just something to be aware of, especially if travelling solo as the group has already bonded. Also there are basically no optionals and there is much less group partying than I experienced with Contiki. We basically went out as group to party on 3 nights out of the 17. A free day really is a free day so plan ahead about what you will do when you hit town to make the most of it.Show detailed ratings
- SarahWritten on November 6, 2012Show detailed ratings4.5 - Excellent
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Athens
- Day 2: Athens to Mykonos
- Day 3: Mykonos
- Day 4: Mykonos
- Day 5: Mykonos to Athens
- Day 6: Athens to Meteora
- Day 7: Meteora to Tirana, Albania
- Day 8: Tirana to Dubrovnik, Croatia via Budva, Montenegro
- Day 9: Dubrovnik
- Day 10: Dubrovnik to Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Day 11: Sarajevo Belgrade, Serbia
- Day 12: Belgrade to Budapest, Hungary
- Day 13: Budapest
- Day 14: Budapest to Vienna, Austria
- Day 15: Vienna to Prague, Czech Republic
- Day 16: Prague
- Day 17: Prague
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Europe: Experience the Magic of Europe
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Sailing with Topdeck
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 23, 2015
What does the food fund cover?
Food fund for The Great Eastern covers all included group meals while you are on the trip. This tour includes all breakfasts and some fresh lunches lunches while travelling - which means you can save on expensive lunches from motorway service stations and enjoy higher quality food. Meals at local restaurants are also included giving you the opportunity to try local cuisines. The food fund needs to be paid upfront before the departure.
- April 21, 2015
Does Topdeck accommodate special dietary needs?
Topdeck can certainly accommodate dietary restrictions - simply write to us in the special requests section of your booking page and we'll pass on the message!
Guides who have led this tour
- "Hi I am a trip leader at Topdeck. I decided to get into trip leading due to the perfect mix of travel..."
- "Hey there - my name is Judes and I am a Maltese Australian working as a European Trip Leader with Topdeck..."
- "Hey guys! My name is Piotr and I have been working as a tour manager (trip leader) since 2013. It is..."
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Kimberely28th January 2018
The Great Eastern
- Upcoming departures
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- FridayMay 25, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJun 10, 2018to Prague0 seats left$78USD $1,881
- FridayJun 1, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJun 17, 2018to Prague0 seats left$83USD $1,986
- FridayJun 8, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJun 24, 2018to Prague0 seats left$83USD $1,986
- FridayJun 15, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJul 1, 2018to Prague0 seats left$83USD $1,986
- FridayJun 22, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJul 8, 2018to PragueOnly 3 seats left$83USD $1,986
- TuesdayJun 26, 2018from Athens17 DaysThursdayJul 12, 2018to Prague0 seats left$83USD $1,986
- FridayJun 29, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJul 15, 2018to PragueOnly 1 seat left$83USD $1,986
- TuesdayJul 3, 2018from Athens17 DaysThursdayJul 19, 2018to Prague0 seats left$87USD $2,092
- FridayJul 6, 2018from Athens17 DaysSundayJul 22, 2018to Prague0 seats left$87USD $2,092
- TuesdayJul 10, 2018from Athens17 DaysThursdayJul 26, 2018to Prague0 seats left$87USD $2,092
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroGreece , Montenegro and Austria
- KorunaCzech Republic
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary and Czech Republic. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Recommended for Albania. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Albania. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Albania, Croatia, Hungary, Austria and Czech Republic. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Recommended for Bosnia. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Athens is the starting point and Prague is the endpoint.
- Max group size
- 48 is the maximum group size for The Great Eastern.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Topdeck to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $200 to confirm this Topdeck booking. The remaining balance is then payable 47 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 7 July 2018 the full payment of $1,986 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 47 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1986 for The Great Eastern, but the deposit of $200 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Topdeck tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Athens (Greece)
- 153 km
- Mykonos (Greece)
- 153 km
- Athens (Greece)
- 272 km
- Meteora (Greece)
- 228 km
- Tirana (Albania)
- 134 km
- Budva (Montenegro)
- 74 km
- Dubrovnik (Croatia)
- 134 km
- Sarajevo (Bosnia)
- 90 km
- Srebrenica (Bosnia)
- 120 km
- Belgrade (Serbia)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,986 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,925 tours in Europe
- covered by 209 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 47 days prior to the departure date.
- 9 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on The Great Eastern