Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National)
Start and end in Auckland! With the coach / bus tour Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National), you have a 27 day tour package taking you through Auckland, New Zealand and 18 other destinations in New Zealand. Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National) is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hostel as well as an expert guide, transport.
- Rather Poor
- MPMichaelaWritten on July 10, 20175.0 - ExcellentStray was the absolute best way to travel around New Zealand. Stray attracts a certain kind of traveler and this makes finding lasting friends inevitable. It was not as party party as some of the bus tours like Kiwi or Contiki but the fun was there and when we partied, we were not too hungover the next day and could still have adventures. The destinations were stunning and I was really happy to let someone else drive the treacherous roads. Juicy Hunter was a perfect driver and guide. He knew all the local legends and taught us a lot of the language. The top destinations were: 1. Hahei. The setting of Narnia is a perfect way to start the trip. Cathedral Cove is a wonder and if you go in the fall as I did, it is practically empty. Make sure to go to the only bar in town and try the Apple Crumple cider. Definitely sign up for the group dinner! 2. Franz Josef. I know it's pricey but the helicopter glacier tour was a highlight of my life (Stray also gives you an amazing deal on the ride)! The hot pools after the tour is needed because tramping around for four hours on ice really wears you down. The accommodation is fantastic and the bar is so fun and offers games every night where you can win free Canyon Rides or Bungees. This small town is also the easiest place to see a kiwi (in captivity). 3. Queenstown. This could either be the most expensive place on the trip or budget friendly depending on your need for adrenaline. If you are on a budget (like I was) then I recommend skipping the bungee and jumping off the bridge at the blue pools on the way to Queenstown. Probably more dangerous than bungee but jumping off a 14 m bridge into freezing blue glacier water was way more of an adrenaline rush than anything. Take the gondola in Queenstown and ride the luge. Seriously fun and the view from the top is spectacular. Next rent a Frisbee at any tourist shop (there are at least 20 in this small town) for $5 and go disc golfing in the gardens. Lastly, my big food food splurge, The Fergburger. People say it's overrated but it's not. Just go and eat and be happy. 4. Lake Aniwhenua. Home to domestic deer, pigs, chickens and an evil ostrich this place is totally off the beaten track. The family who run the B&B are so welcoming and fun. They teach you all about Maori culture and the feast they make is out of this world amazing!!! Taking the leftovers to the kids in the town the next morning was the only opportunity to get to know New Zealand through the eyes of the future. Advice, come hungry to the feast. 5.. Cape Reinga Day Tour. I'll be honest, this day was lots and lots of driving but everything was so gorgeous it did not matter. The Cape itself is very spiritual and beautiful. On a good day you can see the two different colors of the seas coming together. Then you go sand boarding which is so screaming fun you will never want to leave. My advice, bring a change of clothes or a bathing suit because if you are clumsy like me you will be soaked and have to endure a 4 hour drive back sopping. On the way back, you drive on 90 mile beach (actually a beach not a road) and our driver got stuck and had to floor it, very very fun! Get the fish and chips on the way back, they will not disappoint. Hopefully this helped!!!!!!!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- AUCKLAND TO PAIHIA
- PAIHIA TO CAPE REINGA AND BACK
- PAIHIA TO AUCKLAND
- AUCKLAND TO HAHEI
- FREE DAY IN HAHEI
- HAHEI TO RAGLAN
- RAGLAN TO ROTORUA
- ROTORUA TO LAKE ANIWHENUA
- LAKE ANIWHENUA TO WHAKAHORO
- FREE DAY IN WHAKAHORO
- WHAKAHORO TO NATIONAL PARK
- NATIONAL PARK TO WELLINGTON
- WELLINGTON TO ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
- FREE DAY IN ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
- ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK TO WESTPORT
- WESTPORT TO FRANZ JOSEF
- FREE DAY IN FRANZ JOSEF
- FRANZ JOSEF TO WANAKA
- WANAKA TO QUEENSTOWN
- FREE DAYS IN QUEENSTOWN
- QUEENSTOWN TO AORAKI/MT COOK
- MT COOK TO RANGITATA
- RANGITATA TO KAIKOURA
- KAIKOURA TO WELLINGTON
- WELLINGTON TO AUCKLAND
Expand allDownload PDF Brochure
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Elvio18th May 2018
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- DollarNew Zealand
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
- Start and end in Auckland.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Stray Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 15 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 8 November 2018 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 15 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National), but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Stray Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Stray Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 3,518 km.
- Auckland (New Zealand)
- 185 km
- Paihia (New Zealand)
- 160 km
- Cape Reinga (New Zealand)
- 160 km
- Paihia (New Zealand)
- 185 km
- Auckland (New Zealand)
- 93 km
- Hahei (New Zealand)
- 135 km
- Raglan (New Zealand)
- 55 km
- Waitomo Caves (New Zealand)
- 100 km
- Rotorua (New Zealand)
- 69 km
- Whirinaki Forest Park (New Zealand)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 1,003 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 70 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 15 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National) via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Stray Journeys Winter - Cook (National)