London to Sofia by Rail
Ask a question about this tour
24/7 Customer Support
Start in London and end in Sofia! With the train & rail tour London to Sofia by Rail, you have a 22 day tour package taking you through London, England and 18 other destinations in Europe. London to Sofia by Rail is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
- Age range
- 12 to 70 year olds
- Hotel, Guesthouse, Sleeper Train
- Max Group Size
- Train & Rail, Local Transport
- Rather Poor
- SarahWritten on November 1, 20174.0 - GoodI wish I could break this up into two parts as they were basically two entirely different tours. Leg 1 from London to Budapest was FANTASTIC! We had Zoran as our guide and he was absolutely brilliant. The hotels were amazing, the destinations themselves well thought out and I really enjoyed the freedom of the 'free time' afforded at each stop. It was exceptionally well organised, great group of people and Zoran ensured that everyone was having a fantastic time. The only destination I didn't like (and I'm sure I wasn't alone) was Munich. The hotel location was dodgy, across from strip clubs, pickpockets and beggars on the main street out the front and was not safe to walk around in (even the men on tour said that.) One night in Munich would have been sufficent, 2 in Salzburg would have been better! For the first leg positive review! Zoran always gave very clear instructions, left notes for us at each hotel with his room number (in case of any questions) and went above and beyond, for every single person on the tour. He organised metro tickets, explained which lines we were near, how to get backward and forward and what to see. He even carried around Diana's (who was completely useless for the entire trips) bag. He booked tickets and restaurants in advanced, was really easy to get along with and an all round exceptional tour guide. I would recommend this leg of the tour to anyone. It was amazing, thank you. The second leg of the tour was a polar opposite. We were given a new guide, had a whole new tour group. When I booked this tour, if I had known that, I would have left from Budapest. I think the tour information was 'some new people may join'. This wasn't the case. We got a new guide and 11 new people (only 3 of us carried on.) I was not impressed by Mete at all. I have a pretty good bullshit meter and it was apparent from the welcome meeting that this part was not going to be of the same calibre. He talks incessantly, he gives misinformation when asked and no information of the next day at all. He gave no contact details at each hotel so if we needed to get in contact, we couldn't. When he took us on 'orientation walks', I'm 90% sure he was making most things up. I didn't trust him at all, whereas with Zoran I was sure we were going to have a great time. We almost missed the train with Mete because he didn't organise cabs in Brasov (although he said he had done this trip 4 times, so I would assume he would have known.) When we got to Bucharest, our Cab took us to the wrong hotel, I got us to the right one but we had no way of contacting him (I didn't even have his number - I think this is something that could improve the trips, everyone exchanging numbers with the guide at the start.) The night train was an absolute nightmare, we weren't told which cabins were ours before boarding (which didn't get us off to a great start). We weren't told about the second border check (until Mete, after a couple of drinks, came past the cabin and mentioned it.) I left the tour early (from Veliko Tarnovo) as I refused to stay in Hotel Real any longer. The room wasn't cleaned, I had dirty towels and I wasn't sure if they had changed the sheets. I believe the tour guide knew this and gave me the room anyway. We did not get along from the start. I did not enjoy leg two at all, I would not recommend it to anyone. I got myself to Sofia, I didn't ask for help as I didn't trust Mete to actually do it. I left him a note that I was leaving and left. I would recommend the first leg to anyone and cannot recommend Zoran highly enough. I would not recommend tour leg two to anyone. May be it's just me but I did try and leave a fair assessment of the tour. Thanks for asking!!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1 London
- Day 2 London/Paris (1B)
- Day 3 Paris (1B)
- Day 4 Paris/Lausanne (1B)
- Day 5 Lausanne/Zermatt (1B)
- Day 6 Zermatt/Chur (1B, 1L)
- Day 7 Chur/Munich (1B)
- Day 8 Munich (1B)
- Day 9 Munich/Salzburg (1B)
- Day 10 Salzburg (1B)
- Day 11 Salzburg/Vienna (1B)
- Day 12 Vienna/Budapest (1B)
- Day 13 Budapest
- Day 14 Budapest/Sibiu
- Day 15 Sibiu/Sighișoara
- Day 16 Sighișoara/Braşov (1B)
- Day 17 Braşov (1B)
- Day 18 Braşov/Bucharest (1B)
- Day 19 Bucharest/Veliko Tarnovo (1B)
- Day 20 Veliko Tarnovo
- Day 21 Veliko Tarnovo/Sofia (1B)
- Day 22 Sofia (1B)
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Average by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Western Europe Travel Guide
- Why Travel With G Adventures?
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Sheila11th May 2018
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- Pound sterlingEngland
- EuroFrance , Germany and Austria
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Hungary. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Recommended for Romania. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Romania and Bulgaria. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- London is the starting point and Sofia is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request G Adventures to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $250 to confirm this G Adventures booking. The remaining balance is then payable 65 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 20 October 2018 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for London to Sofia by Rail, but the deposit of $250 is non-refundable. But, the deposit is fully transferable to future bookings with G Adventures.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for G Adventures tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 3,139 km.
- London (England)
- 343 km
- Paris (France)
- 413 km
- Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 102 km
- Zermatt (Switzerland)
- 165 km
- Chur (Switzerland)
- 210 km
- Munich (Germany)
- 91 km
- Fussen (Germany)
- 5 km
- Neuschwanstein (Germany)
- 89 km
- Munich (Germany)
- 115 km
- Salzburg (Austria)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 8,978 tours in Europe
- covered by 253 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 65 days prior to the departure date. As an added benefit though, you can use the deposit for future bookings with G Adventures.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on London to Sofia by Rail