6 Day Orkney Stravaig
- Explore remote areas of Scotland
- Discover the Tomb of the Eagles
- Drive through the Scottish Highlands
- Wander through Edinburgh
- Age range
- 18 to 40 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Travel style
- In-depth Cultural, Coach / Bus
- Rather Poor
- DomWritten on September 17, 20185.0 - ExcellentOne of the best tours I've ever been on! First off, everywhere we went was absolutely stunning; I knew nothing about Orkney before the trip but it's incredibly beautiful and has a rich history dating back to the neolithic era, and then of course the Highlands are even more amazing than I'd imagined. Our guide/driver Graeme is brilliant, he made everyone feel comfortable from the first moment and was full of funny and fascinating stories about the places we visited (and about all sorts of other topics as well), and with the benefit of a small group he was able to take us to some great places off the beaten track - I'd been considering self-driving before I found this tour, and there's no way I would've found a lot of these places. The accommodations were surprisingly good, comfortable hostels with quality facilities. The best part, after all that, was that I was lucky enough to get on a tour with an amazing group of people, making some friends for life in the process and adding the cherry on top of what would've been a brilliant experience regardless. Would highly recommend this tour again, and MacBackpackers in general are second to none.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Dominic, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a great time on tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- DFDoraWritten on September 17, 20185.0 - ExcellentThis tour is highly recommended to anyone, who is looking for hidden “treasures” of this unbelievably beautiful country. Orkney is something very special, with its magical athmosphere, and our amazing way from there through the Highlands to the south was the best days that I could imagine. Our guide, Graeme is a man of many talents, including storytelling, anticipating and fulfilling the needs of everyone, and introducing a country with its history and unworldiness in a colourful and meaningful way. Also helped, that the a group had a nice and family-like spirit the whole week. I am very lucky, that I chose this tour, and wish the best time to anyone, who chooses this as well☺️Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Dora, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a magical tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we'll see you again very soon! Cheers, Jaz
- CChristinRieweWritten on September 3, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe tour was AMAZING. It has been my second time with Macbackpackers and I am still so sad that it ended. The Orkney tour seems to be that kind of tour that's a more hidden gem. But maybe just because of that it was so extraordinary. We spent our days visiting mysterious places in the forest, sleeping in old train carriages in Rogan (which was sooo cool!), seeing wonderful places like the standing stones of stennes and visiting one of Scotlands most extraordinary islands. Orkney is really different from the main land, but it has so much to offer! While driving through the nord and west of the main land I felt like I was on a road trip with close friends, enjoying every second and listening to wonderful (and sometimes brutal) stories and tales told by Graeme. He was the perfect tour guide for the Orkney tour, always leaving us options and a lot of time to explore all the places. I will come back next year! Macbackpackers has a huge talent to make you feel at home and wanting to explore more and more and more and I am really thankful for those experiences!Show detailed ratings
- ISIrynaWritten on August 26, 20185.0 - ExcellentBuying this tour was a bit spontaneous thing but unexpectedly it turned out to be one of the greatest trips in my life! It was my first trip around Scotland and at first I thought of going to Isle of Skye but I'm glad I have chosen Orkney instead. One of the best decisions was to take a tour with a mini bus as there were just 8 of us + our guide and the whole atmosphere was very friendly and cozy. We were able to change our route and stop whenever we wanted depending on our group's preferences. Every day of this trip had it's own great moments: older and newer castles, standing stones, stops in the woods, hostel in old railway carriages, swimming in Loch Ness, travelling on a ferry, nice walks, stunning views and so much more. Our amazing guide Graeme did a great job keeping our spirit lifted, telling lots of facts, stories and tales as well as being our radio station (everyone liked the music he was playing). When I first was doing my research I didn't know which company to chose but I'm very glad it was MacBackpakers. I cannot recommend this tour, guide and company more :)Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Iryna, Thanks so much for the lovely feedback and sharing these amazing pics with us. We're delighted to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we'll see you again very soon! Cheers, Jaz
- IInaVetterWritten on August 15, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe 6 day Orkneys Tour was awesome!!! We had so much fun. 11 girls on a bus with Richard, poor guy, who had to endure us for 6 days, had to cope with an excessive amount of pee-stops and had to listen to some horrible birthday music for a whole day! Thanks, Richard, for still having been a very cheerful, funny and patient tour guide! Seriously though, this tour was amazing. We experienced so much history, nature, folklore and went on some great hikes. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. And I'll never forget the standing stones at sunset. What an amazing evening!!! Thanks again for taking us there. All the best, InaShow detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Ina, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Richard and everyone else. Hopefully, we'll see you soon again! Cheers, Jaz
- NatalieWritten on August 14, 20184.5 - ExcellentWe had a lovely time! Graeme is a true gem and is so funny. He took is on lovely walks/hikes and saw some beautiful sites. He's also a great story teller and all around fantastic person.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Natalie, Thanks so much for taking the time to rate us. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the tour with Graeme. We hope to see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- WWulfWritten on December 23, 20175.0 - ExcellentTour: 6 Day Orkney Tour The holiday really started at the Waverly Station for me, after a long overnight journey I recieved a wonderful welcome in Castle Rock Hostel. With great recommondations and a good shower I set of to explore Edingburg. Next Morning our tour started, our tour Guide Graeme made sure we get to know each other very quickly and with great music we set of into the Firths, Lowlands and Highlands. Graeme showed us really secret places and hidden gems, we got in touch with nature with all our mind and body. The hostel in the railway coaches was top op the edge (for a Trainspotter like me)! Setting of the the Orkneys in the best weather ever, we had wonderful tours into history, vikings and beaches. The return route on the NW500 was the best road trip ever, I couldn't have imagened this would be so good. Our last dinner was a great feast on the shores on Loch Ness, with Pasta and a fire. I really made friends there and we are still writing us. Summary: If you ever wanted to see the REAL Scotland including the island, do the 6-Day-Tour!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Wulf, Thanks so much for taking the time and writing such a lovely and detailed review. We are happy to hear you had a lovely tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we will see you again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- VVerenaWritten on September 9, 20175.0 - ExcellentThe 6 Day Orkney Stravaig was my second tour with MacBackpackers. Northern Scotland is breathtaking and topped everything I've done before!! You'll see "really old stuff" (Skara Brae, Maes Howe, stone circles...) as well as waterfalls, mysterious glens, lochs, beautiful beaches and bold cliffs. As you can read in the other reviews the accomodation was quite good but my favourite hostels were Sleeperzzz (old carriages) and the Lochside Hostel (located directly at the shores of Loch Ness). Special thanks to Graeme!! I agree with Kat that he was the best tour guide ever!! I loved every minute of the tour and can't wait to come back!!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Verena, Thanks for reviewing us. It is amazing to hear you had such a great time on tour with Graeme. We cannae wait to have you back on tour with us either! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- KKatWritten on September 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentThis was my second Macbackpackers tour and it still managed to completely exceed my expectations! I highly encourage anyone contemplating to book a space asap (particularly any history buffs!). So many interesting archaeological sites and plenty of beautiful lochs, glens, mountains, waterfalls and caves. The scenery was breathtaking. The accomodation was good quality particularly for someone who doesn't regularly stay in hostels. I really liked Lochside and Orcades Hostels. The group sizes are small (max 16 people) which resulted in a more personalised tour. Graeme was the best tour guide ever, so hilarious and just a great guy with plenty of stories. Everyone on my tour agreed! 5/5 can't wait to come back.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHello Kat, Thank you for sending these stunning pictures and taking the time to review us. We are glad to hear you had such a fab time on tour with Graeme. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- LauraWritten on August 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentI highly recommend this tour, and MacBackpackers generally. Orkney was my second tour. We visited/hiked in some absolutely stunning places: mountains, valleys, cliffs and beaches. There were really interesting places too like The Highland Folk Museum, ancient tombs and Skara Brae, a stone age village, as well as a live archaeological dig, which was very cool. I really like the way MacBackpackers do things. Your guide will give you different activity options to choose from, and give you a good idea of what the places are like, to help you choose. As well as taking you to amazing places and giving you plenty of time to enjoy them, the MacBackpackers guides also make shorter stops along the way, which means you don't feel like you're stuck on a bus. Our guide was Richard, who was the guide on my other tour too. Richard is very friendly and knowledgeable and tells you the histories of the places you visit as well as facts about points of interest along the way. He is accommodating and could not be more helpful. The accommodation is generally good and the Orcades Hostel in Orkney is like an upmarket hotel. I had a private room there. Some of the other hostels MacBacpackers use have private rooms, so look into that in advance if you're interested. 5 stars.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Laura, Many thanks for taking the time and writing a lovely review and sending the amazing pictures. We are delighted you enjoyed your second tour with Richard as well. We are looking forward to welcome you on your third tour very soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 4: starts once more on the beautiful Orkney Islands, heading South to explore one of the most important archaeological discoveries in Northern Scotland, the Tomb of the Eagles the 5000 year old cliff edge catacomb. We then head back to the mainland and skirt along the North Coast, exploring some of the most remote landscapes in the world, staying in the picturesque Durness, peering out over the North Atlantic, nothing but ocean between you and the Arctic.
- Day 5
- Day 5: takes us down the very West coast of Scotland with it’s astonishing scenery before diving back into the heart of the Highlands, winding our way through the Glens, the iconic symbol of Scotland’s wilderness, getting amongst the mountains and valleys to explore it first hand. We then go in search of Nessie, the legendary monster that lurks beneath the deep waters of Loch Ness. Our hostel for the night is situated right on the shores of the loch with stunning views across the water.
- Day 6
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- What happens when you set the guides free at the beach...
- Sunset Timelapse over Loch Ness - Taken from Lochside Hostel
- Who are MacBackpackers?
- Jacobite Steam Train
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Are the accommodation, as well as the meals, included in this tour? If they are not, then how much extra will it cost in total?
Unless otherwise stated, eg. Christmas/Hogmanay Packages, accommodation is not included in the price of the tour, but it is guaranteed for you whilst on tour. You will therefore be asked to pay on arrival at the hostels and the cost is between £17.00 and £20.00 per person per night.
You can pay for most of your accommodation with either cash or credit/debit card, know from the start that only one or two places only accept cash.
All of the hostels provide dormitory accommodation, in rooms of between 6 and 12 beds. A dorm bed will be held automatically for you for each night of your tour (not including Edinburgh).
Food is not included into the price of this tour. However, we make supermarket stops every day and each of the hostels has a well equipped kitchen for our guests to use. There will also be pubs and restaurants near each hostel, if you feel like eating out in the evening.
Orkney offers a lot of amazing history and archaeology which we get to see a lot of, but in order to keep them intact, most of them charge admission. You can buy an explorer's pass for £18 which covers most of that admission.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Geraldine5th June 2018
About the countries
- Pound sterlingScotland
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Edinburgh.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 25% to confirm this MacBackpackers booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 15 December 2018 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for 6 Day Orkney Stravaig, but the deposit of 25% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and MacBackpackers will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for MacBackpackers tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Edinburgh (Scotland)
- 90 km
- Pitlochry (Scotland)
- 52 km
- Cairngorm Mountains (Scotland)
- 225 km
- Orkney Islands (Scotland)
- 70 km
- Thurso (Scotland)
- 71 km
- Durness (Scotland)
- 78 km
- Ullapool (Scotland)
- 73 km
- Inverness (Scotland)
- 27 km
- Loch Ness (Scotland)
- 64 km
- Fort William (Scotland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,374 tours in Europe
- covered by 256 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for 6 Day Orkney Stravaig via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 17 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on 6 Day Orkney Stravaig