6 Day Orkney Stravaig
- Our saving
- US $ 347
- Explore remote areas of Scotland
- Discover the Tomb of the Eagles
- Drive through the Scottish Highlands
- Wander through Edinburgh
- Age range
- 18 to 40 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Rather Poor
- WWulfWritten on December 23, 20175.0 - ExcellentTour: 6 Day Orkney Tour The holiday really started at the Waverly Station for me, after a long overnight journey I recieved a wonderful welcome in Castle Rock Hostel. With great recommondations and a good shower I set of to explore Edingburg. Next Morning our tour started, our tour Guide Graeme made sure we get to know each other very quickly and with great music we set of into the Firths, Lowlands and Highlands. Graeme showed us really secret places and hidden gems, we got in touch with nature with all our mind and body. The hostel in the railway coaches was top op the edge (for a Trainspotter like me)! Setting of the the Orkneys in the best weather ever, we had wonderful tours into history, vikings and beaches. The return route on the NW500 was the best road trip ever, I couldn't have imagened this would be so good. Our last dinner was a great feast on the shores on Loch Ness, with Pasta and a fire. I really made friends there and we are still writing us. Summary: If you ever wanted to see the REAL Scotland including the island, do the 6-Day-Tour!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Wulf, Thanks so much for taking the time and writing such a lovely and detailed review. We are happy to hear you had a lovely tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we will see you again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- VVerenaWritten on September 9, 20175.0 - ExcellentThe 6 Day Orkney Stravaig was my second tour with MacBackpackers. Northern Scotland is breathtaking and topped everything I've done before!! You'll see "really old stuff" (Skara Brae, Maes Howe, stone circles...) as well as waterfalls, mysterious glens, lochs, beautiful beaches and bold cliffs. As you can read in the other reviews the accomodation was quite good but my favourite hostels were Sleeperzzz (old carriages) and the Lochside Hostel (located directly at the shores of Loch Ness). Special thanks to Graeme!! I agree with Kat that he was the best tour guide ever!! I loved every minute of the tour and can't wait to come back!!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Verena, Thanks for reviewing us. It is amazing to hear you had such a great time on tour with Graeme. We cannae wait to have you back on tour with us either! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- KKatWritten on September 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentThis was my second Macbackpackers tour and it still managed to completely exceed my expectations! I highly encourage anyone contemplating to book a space asap (particularly any history buffs!). So many interesting archaeological sites and plenty of beautiful lochs, glens, mountains, waterfalls and caves. The scenery was breathtaking. The accomodation was good quality particularly for someone who doesn't regularly stay in hostels. I really liked Lochside and Orcades Hostels. The group sizes are small (max 16 people) which resulted in a more personalised tour. Graeme was the best tour guide ever, so hilarious and just a great guy with plenty of stories. Everyone on my tour agreed! 5/5 can't wait to come back.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHello Kat, Thank you for sending these stunning pictures and taking the time to review us. We are glad to hear you had such a fab time on tour with Graeme. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- LauraWritten on August 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentI highly recommend this tour, and MacBackpackers generally. Orkney was my second tour. We visited/hiked in some absolutely stunning places: mountains, valleys, cliffs and beaches. There were really interesting places too like The Highland Folk Museum, ancient tombs and Skara Brae, a stone age village, as well as a live archaeological dig, which was very cool. I really like the way MacBackpackers do things. Your guide will give you different activity options to choose from, and give you a good idea of what the places are like, to help you choose. As well as taking you to amazing places and giving you plenty of time to enjoy them, the MacBackpackers guides also make shorter stops along the way, which means you don't feel like you're stuck on a bus. Our guide was Richard, who was the guide on my other tour too. Richard is very friendly and knowledgeable and tells you the histories of the places you visit as well as facts about points of interest along the way. He is accommodating and could not be more helpful. The accommodation is generally good and the Orcades Hostel in Orkney is like an upmarket hotel. I had a private room there. Some of the other hostels MacBacpackers use have private rooms, so look into that in advance if you're interested. 5 stars.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Laura, Many thanks for taking the time and writing a lovely review and sending the amazing pictures. We are delighted you enjoyed your second tour with Richard as well. We are looking forward to welcome you on your third tour very soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- LaurenWritten on July 24, 20175.0 - ExcellentThis was my second tour with MacBackpackers within the last two months. In all honesty, I didn't think that this tour could top my first one. Well, I was wrong. I met some amazing people on this tour. With six days together, you really bond with everyone. A group dinner around a campfire on the shores of Loch Ness- doesn't get any better than that. The 1,000+ year old pieces of history in Orkney were amazing, and the landscapes through the North West are stunning. Our tour guide/professional bus driver, Graeme, is one of the funniest people I've ever met. He really went out of his way to get to know everyone and make each of us feel included. Our group got choices in the itinerary. I felt like we weren't rushed at the many stops we made, which I was thankful for. All in all, I would suggest this tour to anyone, especially if you like scenery, ancient history, and lots of castles. Thank you MacBackpackers for the awesome memories.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Lauren, Thank you so much for writing such a kind review and posting these fab photos. We are glad to hear you had a great time on tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we will see you again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- AAshleyWritten on July 5, 20175.0 - ExcellentAnother amazing tour with MacBackpackers. The tour was great and with a flexible schedule. Our guide allowed our group to make decisions on what we wanted to do each day. This meant that we got the best out of every day on the tour. Would love to do another tour at some stage!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Ashley, We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the tour with us. Thanks for rating us. We are looking forward to having you on tour with us again soon! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- CarolineWritten on June 3, 20175.0 - ExcellentDid the 6 day Orkney Tour with Graeme and had the time of my life!! 2nd tour with MacBackpackers did not disappoint - in fact they only get better. LOVED every minute of it. Stunning countryside, world-class guiding, hardcore extreme adventures every damn day, a truly unique Scottish experience, and great tunes on the bus! Graeme went out of his way to tick everyone's bucket list item's off and show us cool shit couldntve dreamed of. 1000/10 couldn't recommend strongly enough.Show detailed ratings
- JJaninaWritten on September 22, 20165.0 - ExcellentBest tour ever.The people were lovely, the guide was really good and Scotland is so beautiful. I will definitly go on another tour with you guys next year.Show detailed ratings
- PPamWritten on August 21, 20165.0 - Excellent6 Day Orkney Most amazing experience of my life. Rates 15 out of 10 in my eyes. Our tour ended up only having a dozen making it a great size. Having a local tour company over those big tour buses gives you a much better local experience. Staying in hostels as you travel means you get great unique places and some okay places but that hardly matters when your having so much fun. The amazing scenery and stories from our awesome guide/driver Graeme makes it an unforgettable experience.Show detailed ratings
- MMaikeWritten on July 27, 20165.0 - ExcellentI’ve just returned from the 6 day Orkney tour and I had an amazing time. The northern part of Scotland is indescribably beautiful. I think that doing a bus tour is the best way to discover this remote part of Scotland. Richard was the best tour guide I could have wished for and deserves without a doubt 5 out of 5 stars! He told us great stories, took us on many incredible hikes and really made sure that we would see and do the best things that Scotland has to offer. I am so glad that I booked the 6-day tour, since on this tour we got to see the beautiful north and north-west coast of Scotland. I wasn’t at first very sure if I would like Orkney, since I especially like the rough, mountainous landscape of Scotland, while Orkney is rather flat. However, I was absolutely blown away by Orkney! We visited the tomb of the eagles, maes howe (very cool!), the ring of stenness, the ring of brodgar, ness of brodgar, skara brae and broch or gurness; all incredible historical sites. Then in the late afternoon we went on 2 hikes on the cliffs with nestling birds. We even saw Puffins from very close (the highlight of the tour)! We also saw seals and a dolphin while we were sitting by the cliffs. Richard was extremely good in spotting the wildlife and could tell us a lot about the different birds that we saw. The good thing about Orkney is that the sites are all very close to each other, so we could do a lot within 1.5 days without being rushed. In the next days we went on several other hikes (good shoes and waterproof clothing are a must on this tour) through the beautiful, rough landscape of the north and west coast of Scotland and saw a golden eagle and deer. The smoo cave and the big sea stacks at Duncansby Head where other highlights. We saw and did so many other things that what I describe here is only a selection of the highlights. The accommodation was also very good in small hostels with a great atmosphere. This tour was an excellent combination of historical sites, wildlife, beautiful nature and great stories and I would recommend this tour to everyone.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 4: starts once more on the beautiful Orkney Islands, heading South to explore one of the most important archaeological discoveries in Northern Scotland, the Tomb of the Eagles the 5000 year old cliff edge catacomb. We then head back to the mainland and skirt along the North Coast, exploring some of the most remote landscapes in the world, staying in the picturesque Durness, peering out over the North Atlantic, nothing but ocean between you and the Arctic.
- Day 5
- Day 5: takes us down the very West coast of Scotland with it’s astonishing scenery before diving back into the heart of the Highlands, winding our way through the Glens, the iconic symbol of Scotland’s wilderness, getting amongst the mountains and valleys to explore it first hand. We then go in search of Nessie, the legendary monster that lurks beneath the deep waters of Loch Ness. Our hostel for the night is situated right on the shores of the loch with stunning views across the water.
- Day 6
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- What happens when you set the guides free at the beach...
- Sunset Timelapse over Loch Ness - Taken from Lochside Hostel
- Who are MacBackpackers?
- Jacobite Steam Train
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- August 4, 2016
Are the accommodation, as well as the meals, included in this tour? If they are not, then how much extra will it cost in total?
Unless otherwise stated, eg. Christmas/Hogmanay Packages, accommodation is not included in the price of the tour, but it is guaranteed for you whilst on tour. You will therefore be asked to pay on arrival at the hostels and the cost is between £17.00 and £20.00 per person per night.
You can pay for most of your accommodation with either cash or credit/debit card, know from the start that only one or two places only accept cash.
All of the hostels provide dormitory accommodation, in rooms of between 6 and 12 beds. A dorm bed will be held automatically for you for each night of your tour (not including Edinburgh).
Food is not included into the price of this tour. However, we make supermarket stops every day and each of the hostels has a well equipped kitchen for our guests to use. There will also be pubs and restaurants near each hostel, if you feel like eating out in the evening.
Orkney offers a lot of amazing history and archaeology which we get to see a lot of, but in order to keep them intact, most of them charge admission. You can buy an explorer's pass for £18 which covers most of that admission.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Annie14th May 2018
6 Day Orkney Stravaig
- MondayJun 18, 2018from Edinburgh6 DaysSaturdayJun 23, 2018to Edinburgh7 seats left$28$375-7%USD $347
- MondayJul 16, 2018from Edinburgh6 DaysSaturdayJul 21, 2018to Edinburgh8 seats left$15USD $360
- MondayAug 6, 2018from Edinburgh6 DaysSaturdayAug 11, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$15USD $360
- MondayAug 27, 2018from Edinburgh6 DaysSaturdaySep 1, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$15USD $360
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- Pound sterlingScotland
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Edinburgh.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 25% to confirm this MacBackpackers booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 22 July 2018 the full payment of $347 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $347 for 6 Day Orkney Stravaig, but the deposit of 25% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and MacBackpackers will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for MacBackpackers tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Edinburgh (Scotland)
- 90 km
- Pitlochry (Scotland)
- 52 km
- Cairngorm Mountains (Scotland)
- 225 km
- Orkney Islands (Scotland)
- 70 km
- Thurso (Scotland)
- 71 km
- Durness (Scotland)
- 78 km
- Ullapool (Scotland)
- 73 km
- Inverness (Scotland)
- 27 km
- Loch Ness (Scotland)
- 64 km
- Fort William (Scotland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $347 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,995 tours in Europe
- covered by 210 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for 6 Day Orkney Stravaig via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 11 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on 6 Day Orkney Stravaig