Western Family Discovery
Save up to 75% across the globe
ends on 26 Sep 2018
- Our saving
- US $ 1,996
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
- Explore the Navajo Indian's Monument Valley
- Experience Las Vegas Nightlife
- Drive along scenic Route 66
- Walk around The 'City by the Bay'
- Age range
- 8 to 99 year olds
- Hotel, Camping
- Max Group Size
- Private Vehicle
- Travel style
- Discovery, Adventure
Start in San Francisco and end in Las Vegas! With the discovery tour Western Family Discovery, you have a 12 day tour package taking you from San Francisco to Las Vegas and through San Francisco, USA and 8 other destinations in USA. Western Family Discovery is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, transport and more.
- Rather Poor
- PPhilipWritten on August 14, 20152.0 - Rather poorBe warned, the camping is very basic. Campsites were most often an hour or more outside of the national parks. WHY? All the parks had campsites in them and this would have meant for much more relaxed days when we weren't travelling. Getting up at 6.30 - 7am to have got up+breakfasted+made your packed lunch+packed your tent and bags+packed the trailer, ALL BY 8.30am!! is hard graft and wears you down over 10 days. We had a jokey but critical Mormon tour-guide who everyone feared pissing off. By the end of the tour 2 families had opted for Motels, one had left (after 3 days) and one camped the last night on their own. Not a resounding success. If you want this tour to get you to the national parks and then let you do your own thing you will need a different tour-guide than we had. He expected us all to do what he had planned based around dolly walks in crowds on paved paths. Great scenery but spoilt by crowds. Don't expect wilderness experiences unless you 'go for it' on your 2 free days and get far enough away from the crowds to be on your own without the tour guide or conservative America breathing down your neck. And don't think you can have beer with your lunch or wine with your evening meals. This is an indictable offence. The National Park Rangers are federal officers and have a reputation for being inflexible and severe. Asking 3 of them re rules about walking off the Tarmac road to go through the woods one kept their hand ready beside their taser!! Don't mess! America is hugely conservative and conventional, Utah and Mormons especially, and rules rules rules ruined my trip. Including 2 dams in the itinerary was 2 too many for us. And our 16yr old hated it. He HUGELY resented getting up at 7. A nightmare holiday to laugh about in the future perhaps but I saw some amazing places and had some exceptional out-door experiences. But it's HARD. You'll need a holiday after this!Show detailed ratingsGrand American Adventures commented on this reviewDear Philip, I am familiar with the background of your review as this has been well documented. Unfortunately Grand American Adventures have a very different version of the events. You have failed to mention issues which were discussed with you during your tour relating to your disregard for punctuality, local laws, bullying and general disruption to the tour. Similar feedback is echoed by your fellow travellers who have specifically mentioned you. There is some question as to why the family you mentioned left the tour early. Your tour leader has worked with Grand American Adventures for many years with on-going excellent customer feedback. It is clear from your post tour feedback that you had issues with your tour leader, exacerbated by your relaxed attitude to national park and American laws. Grand American Adventures have operated for many years and we are familiar with how to deliver a family tour. We utilise campgrounds with the most favourable facilities as opposed to some of the state run campsites which can be of a lesser standard. We aim to be as clear as possible in our brochure, website and pre-booking information as to the realities of the tour, but it does occur from time to time that customers arrive with incorrect expectations. Our tours are experiential holidays and need structure in order to run smoothly whilst also offering free time when required. Regards Grand American Adventures
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Las Vegas
- Days 2-3: Route 66, Grand Canyon (South Rim)
- Day 4: Monument Valley
- Day 5: Bryce Canyon National Park, Kodachrome Basin State Park
- Day 6: Zion National Park
- Day 7: Zion National Park
- Day 8: Zion National Park, Great Basin Desert
- Days 9-11: Rachel, Yosemite National Park
- Day 12: Yosemite National Park, San Francisco
AccommodationRated Bad by past passengers
GuideRated Bad by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
- Optional Extras
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Ann10th August 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Western Family Discovery
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- SaturdayJul 20, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysWednesdayJul 31, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$83USD $1,996
- TuesdayJul 23, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysSaturdayAug 3, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$89USD $2,140
- SaturdayJul 27, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysWednesdayAug 7, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$91USD $2,178
- TuesdayJul 30, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysSaturdayAug 10, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$91USD $2,178
- SaturdayAug 3, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysWednesdayAug 14, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$87USD $2,092
- SaturdayAug 10, 2019from San Francisco12 DaysWednesdayAug 21, 2019to Las Vegas10+ seats left$85USD $2,044
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
- San Francisco is the starting point and Las Vegas is the endpoint.
- Max group size
- 13 is the maximum group size for Western Family Discovery.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Grand American Adventures to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 10% to confirm this Grand American Adventures booking. The remaining balance is then payable 90 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 20 December 2018 the full payment of $1,996 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1996 for Western Family Discovery, but the deposit of 10% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Grand American Adventures tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 1,600 km.
- San Francisco (USA)
- 258 km
- Yosemite NP (USA)
- 572 km
- Zion National Park (USA)
- 80 km
- Bryce Canyon National Park (USA)
- 19 km
- Kodachrome Basin State Park (USA)
- 81 km
- Lake Powell (USA)
- 105 km
- Monument Valley (USA)
- 199 km
- Grand Canyon (USA)
- 285 km
- Las Vegas (USA)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,996 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 1,918 tours in North America
- covered by 70 different operators in North America
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 90 days prior to the departure date.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Western Family Discovery