Big Red to Red Star (from Helsinki to Moscow)
- Our saving
- US $ 1,621
- Age range
- 18 to 39 year olds
- Hotel, Berth / Cabin, Sleeper Train
- Train & Rail, Coach / Bus, Ship, Ferry
- Rather Poor
- SDSophieWritten on January 2, 20183.0 - AverageThe tour was very poorly organised. There was no schedule available for the tour, and we had to take everyday as it came, which was consistently unknown. There was a lack of regard for our safety at various points. I was furious when, upon arriving for the overnight train from St Petersburg to Moscow, TopDeck had booked for myself and another woman in her mid-twenties to share with 2 men who were not on the tour. The trip specifically states that we would be sharing with one other member of the same sex throughout the tour. The guide was minimally helpful in resolving this issue. The Russian tour guide, who we requested to help us with translation (the 2 men we were booked to share with who were NOT on the tour did not speak English, and neither of us spoke Russian) was very rude, patronising and sarcastic. This is obviously very unsafe in a multitude of manners and frankly inappropriate. On top of this, the hotel we stayed in St Petersburg refused to give us back our passports, even after we had checked out. Our passports sat in a box on the front reception desk, and was easily accessible to theft. This was also unacceptable in my opinion. Breakfast was consistently good, dinner however was very poor at best and arguably inedible at worst. The rooms were basic but comfortable, spacious enough for 2 people, and consistently clean. The hotel in Moscow was a 15 minute walk to the metro and x4 stops to the centre. This was time consuming but overall not terrible, especially as we were there for New Year's. As we went over the Christmas period, some excursions that were offered on the itinerary prior to arrival were not available. No substitute was offered or alternate plan conceived by the guide. While I am disappointed with the planning and found the regard for our safety unacceptable at times, I did enjoy the trip. I met so many incredible people and really enjoyed everything that we did experience. I think this tour has enormous potential to be excellent, however, it requires rather a lot more planning, thought process and safety awareness.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Helsinki, Finland
- Day 2: Helsinki to Tallinn, Estonia
- Day 3: Tallinn
- Day 4: Tallinn to St Petersburg, Russia
- Day 5: St Petersburg
- Day 6: St Petersburg to Moscow via overnight train
- Day 7: Moscow
- Day 8: Moscow
- Day 9: Moscow
- Day 10: Moscow
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Average by past passengers
MealsRated Average by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
- Europe: Experience the Magic of Europe
- Travel to Scandinavia with Topdeck
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- September 1, 2016
Does your team assist us in obtaining the necessary paperwork for visas?
Unfortunately we are unable to give visa advice due to the vast number of nationalities which our customers represent. Some nationalities can travel freely over borders, where others require advance permission to enter. There are also changes in requirements from time to time. We recommend checking your local embassy or consulate's website for the latest up to date information.
What we can do is once your booking is confirmed, we will ask the operator Topdeck to send you a invitation letter so that you can apply to the Visa. They usually do this so you should be good!
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Sheila11th May 2018
Big Red to Red Star (from Helsinki to Moscow)
- WednesdayDec 5, 2018from Helsinki10 DaysFridayDec 14, 2018to Moscow10+ seats left$71USD $1,698Based on Double
- SundayDec 23, 2018from Helsinki10 DaysTuesdayJan 1, 2019to Moscow10+ seats left$74USD $1,775Based on Double
- WednesdayJan 9, 2019from Helsinki10 DaysFridayJan 18, 2019to Moscow10+ seats left$68USD $1,621Based on Double
- WednesdayFeb 6, 2019from Helsinki10 DaysFridayFeb 15, 2019to Moscow10+ seats left$68USD $1,621Based on Double
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- EuroFinland and Estonia
Plugs & Adapters
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Finland, Estonia and Russia. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Estonia and Russia. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Estonia and Russia. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Recommended for Russia. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Russia. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an area with a risk of yellow fever transmission for Russia. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Russia. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Helsinki is the starting point and Moscow is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Topdeck to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $200 to confirm this Topdeck booking. The remaining balance is then payable 47 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 11 July 2018 the full payment of $1,621 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 47 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1621 for Big Red to Red Star (from Helsinki to Moscow), but the deposit of $200 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Topdeck tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Helsinki (Finland)
- 81 km
- Tallinn (Estonia)
- 317 km
- St Petersburg (Russia)
- 633 km
- Moscow (Russia)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,621 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,980 tours in Europe
- covered by 211 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 47 days prior to the departure date.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Big Red to Red Star (from Helsinki to Moscow)