7 Day Best of the West
- Our saving
- US $ 450
- Visit Scotland’s ancient battle sites
- Explore beaches, brochs and mountains
- Hike majestic hills of Trotternish Ridge
- Bask in the beauty of the Isle of Skye
- Age range
- 18 to 40 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus
- Physical Rating
- Rather Poor
- TiffanyWritten on May 23, 20185.0 - ExcellentIf you are looking for an unique, adventurous, full-of-surprises, one-of-a-kind experience of Scotland's beauty, history, and culture; I would definitely recommend this amazing tour!! There were no down time for our 7 days tour. I can not tell you which part of it I love the most...because I love A LOT of them. From the first day to the last, there were always surprises around the corner. From the monsters and mountains, churches and castles, war stories, clans, and chieftains to walking, hiking, seafood, and whisky. Our guide was friendly, funny, knowledgeable, and most importantly, the best story-teller! Simply awesome! He made the tour a truly amazing experience!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Tiffany, We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the 7 Day Best of the West tour with us. Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- ShelleyWritten on May 20, 20185.0 - ExcellentIf you're on a budget and you want to see the most beautiful places in Scotland, this is the tour for you. Our guide was very knowledgeable, good humoured and made us feel very welcome. I got some great stories from him, met some wonderful people and have no regrets.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Shelley, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're happy to hear you had a fantastic tour with us. Hopefully, you'll come back soon! Cheers, Jaz
- SFSabrinaWritten on September 30, 20175.0 - ExcellentHad an absolutely fantastic experience when booking through MacBackpackers. They replied promptly to emails and answered my questions thoroughly going above and beyond to make sure I got the most out of my trip. I went on the 7 Day tour with Mark MacB as my guide. He was so energetic and passionate about his job that it really was contagious. We went on a blast through the past with his enthralling stories of Scotlands past. Give that man a raise. Would highly recommend booking through this company.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHello Sabrina, We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tour with Mark. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review and sending the stunning photo of Forth Bridge. We are looking forward to having you on tour with us again. Best wishes, Jaz xx
- CRChristopherWritten on September 25, 20175.0 - ExcellentInternet reviews are so full of 5 stars and superlatives, it's hard to emphasise when something is really special and really exceeds your expectations. This tour certainly was. From the start, Mark was professional, friendly and knowledgable. There's a lot of time in the minibus, but a combination of Mark's storytelling over the microphone (mostly about Scottish history, occasionally just some great anecdotes) meant the time really flew in. He's got a real knack for storytelling, so you'll be kept engaged. The choice of places to visit was excellent, hitting a few of the big tourist attractions as well as quite a few hidden gems. The time in the black house on Lewis was particularly special, with a house to ourselves where we could cook together and hang out with some games in the evening (no wifi or phone signal forces you to be sociable!). We did a bit of hiking, but nothing too strenuous. There were also a few opportunities for a swim if you like cold water (swimming on the first night in Loch Ness was great!). The hostels were all decent enough and cost between £15 and £20 a night, which was pretty reasonable. In truth, we were kept so busy that we spent very little time there, just cooking and sleeping. Anyway, if you're thinking about the tour, then just do it. No way will you regret it! Thanks again Mark for everything!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Christopher, Thank you so much for taking the time write this brilliant review. We are very happy that you had an amazing tour with Mark. Hopefully, we will see you again in the near future! Best wishes, Jaz xx
- LLaetitiaWritten on September 24, 20175.0 - ExcellentSuch a wonderful trip with Mark, a wonderful guide !! A lot of fun, hiking, laughing, and incredible stories ! I wish that this tour never endsShow detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Laetitia, Thanks for rating us! It is great to hear you had fun times with Mark on the 7 Day Best of West Tour. The tours should go on forever! Please, do not hesitate to contact us when you are planning your next adventure. Best wishes, Jaz xx
- HHannahWritten on September 24, 20175.0 - ExcellentI did the 7 day Best of the West tour with Mark. What a fantastic trip, we managed to do so much but also had time to enjoy the places we visited, as well as having the flexibility to shape our own trip. Mark was an awesome guide, fun and relaxed. We all felt it was like a group of friends going away on holiday with one friend who was immensely knowledgeable about Scotland and willing to drive! Thank you so much :)Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHello Hannah, We are so glad to hear you had a great time on tour with Mark and rest of the group. Many thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. Hopefully, we will have you on tour with us again soon. Best wishes, Jaz xx
- PiaWritten on September 11, 20175.0 - ExcellentWe did the 7 day best of the West trip and it was amazing. Richard was a great guide. He was really funny and told us lots of stories about Scotland. We learned a lot about history when we were driving through stunning places. I loved to go hiking even with the rain. You should be prepared that it is going to be really muddy. You might nearly b swimming in mud but it was a great adventure. I loved Quiraing on the Isle of skye but Lewes and Harry's were awesome as well. And my heart was melting when I saw the Hogwarts Express arriving on a bridge and we were watching it from a hill because Richard managed to get us there by time. I just education loved this trip and the people I met are amazing. I would do it again.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Pia We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!:) It is great to hear you had a brilliant tour with Richard, and a chance to see the steam train. Thank you very much for taking the time and writing such a nice and detailed review. Best wishes, Jaz xx
- EvaWritten on September 10, 20175.0 - ExcellentI was on the 7 days Best of the West tour. It was amazing! I was looking for this tour for so long and i couldn't believe, that it was over so fast. I had a great time. Our guide - Richard - gave us perfect insight into the Scottish history, showed us his favorite places over Highlands and took us on amazing hikes. Definitely planning to do more of Macbackpackers' tours in future!Show detailed ratings
- MZMirandaWritten on September 10, 20175.0 - ExcellentThe 7 day best of the west tour was absolutely amazing! I was super nervous about going on such a long tour, but when it ended I couldn't believe how fast it went by! Our tour guide, Richard, was wonderful, knowledgeable and funny, and there wasn't a boring moment the entire trip. We stayed in nice, clean hostels with amazing staff, went on breathtaking hikes and all bonded over our unbelievable experiences. Highlights would definitely have been Culloden, Isles of Lewis and Harris, the Blackhouse Village we stayed in, the incredible hikes we did throughout the week, and Doune Castle. I'm seriously already planning my next macbackpackers trip and can't wait to be back in the highlands soon!Show detailed ratings
- LMLeanneWritten on September 10, 20175.0 - ExcellentI did the 7 day Best of the West tour and it was amazing! Our tour guide Richard was extremely informative, funny and engaging and we all had the best time. We got to see parts of Scotland you just couldn't do on your own, hiking to the most beautiful beaches, seeing stunning castles and the Callanish Standing Stones. The best tour EVER!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Day 6
- Day 7
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Richard on top of a Blustery Old Man of Storr
- Neil Sight Spotting from Wester Ross
- Relaxing Clouds overlooking the Old Man of Storr
- What happens when you set the guides free at the beach...
- Sunset Timelapse over Loch Ness - Taken from Lochside Hostel
- Who are MacBackpackers?
- Neil showing off the Old Man of Storr
- Jacobite Steam Train
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 1, 2017
Where is the tour starting point?
In the summer season all our tours depart at 9am from Castlerock Hostel, 15 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2PW.
Check-in time for the tours is at least 15 minutes before departure time.
- January 1, 2017
Does the tour meet at the airport, or are there separate transfers to a designated meeting point? If it's the latter, how would I arrange that? Are we dropped back off at the airport at the end of the tour?
All tours depart from Castle Rock Hostel in the Old Town of Edinburgh. It does happen that a tour gets back later than that due to weather conditions, traffics issues or simply because a tour needs a wee bit longer. Unfortunately, the tour doesn't stop by the airport. Please be aware that we can not be responsible for any onward travel arrangements that you may have. We recommend that you stay in Edinburgh the nights before and after your tour departure.
- November 23, 2016
Is the Scottish Language hard to understand?
English is the main language spoken in Scotland, although you will be surprised by the wide range of different accents and dialects spoken across the country. From the north to the south, east and west, and on each of the islands, differing accents are perceptible ranging from soft and sing-song to stronger and more pronounced.
15 travellers met before going on their MacBackpackers 7 Day Best of the West tour.
Select the departure date of the tour that you're planning on going on and chat with other travellers going on that tour.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Victoria8th April 2018
7 Day Best of the West
- Upcoming departures
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- MondayJun 11, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 17, 2018to Edinburgh7 seats left$14USD $450
- MondayJun 25, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 1, 2018to Edinburgh5 seats left$14USD $450
- MondayJul 2, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 8, 2018to Edinburgh9 seats left$14USD $450
- MondayJul 9, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 15, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $450
- MondayJul 23, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 29, 2018to Edinburgh0 seats left$14USD $450Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- MondayJul 30, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayAug 5, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $450
- MondayAug 13, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayAug 19, 2018to Edinburgh9 seats left$14USD $450
- MondayAug 20, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayAug 26, 2018to Edinburgh9 seats left$14USD $450
- MondaySep 3, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundaySep 9, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $450
- MondaySep 10, 2018from Edinburgh7 DaysSundaySep 16, 2018to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $450
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- Pound sterlingScotland
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Edinburgh.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 25% to confirm this MacBackpackers booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 25 July 2018 the full payment of $450 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $450 for 7 Day Best of the West, but the deposit of 25% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and MacBackpackers will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for MacBackpackers tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Edinburgh (Scotland)
- 95 km
- Killiecrankie (Scotland)
- 86 km
- Culloden (Scotland)
- 31 km
- Loch Ness (Scotland)
- 27 km
- Inverness (Scotland)
- 73 km
- Ullapool (Scotland)
- 97 km
- Isle of Lewis (Scotland)
- 31 km
- Isle of Harris (Scotland)
- 58 km
- Uig (Scotland)
- 22 km
- Portree (Scotland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $450 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 8,095 tours in Europe
- covered by 212 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for 7 Day Best of the West via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 53 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on 7 Day Best of the West