7 Day Best of the West
- Our saving
- US $ 459
- Visit Scotland’s ancient battle sites
- Explore beaches, brochs and mountains
- Hike majestic hills of Trotternish Ridge
- Bask in the beauty of the Isle of Skye
- Rather Poor
- DavidWritten on September 24, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe tour was amazing! We managed to go to a lot of places within 7 days but it didn't feel rushed. None of the journeys were really long and they'd be filled with Richard telling interesting Scottish stories and playing Scottish music so they were never boring. Would highly recommend and would use again!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey David, Many thanks for taking the time to review us. We're happy to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Richard. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- KKatyWritten on September 14, 20185.0 - ExcellentI had an amazing time with Macbackpackers. Everywhere we went was just stunning, and it was fantastic to be able to tailor our itinerary to things the group were most interested in. I saw some amazing things, learnt loads about Scottish history, and laughed pretty much non stop. Our guide, Richard, was fab from start to finish, and I was so sad to leave everyone behind when the tour ended. Couldn't recommend these guys more!Show detailed ratings
- SRSergioWritten on September 10, 20185.0 - ExcellentThis is the first time I do a long tour like this one while traveling solo, and it was awesome. The scenery, the castles, the guide...everything. You do spend a lot of time moving from one place to the other but you see sooo many things is only natural, also the tour is very flexible and if you feel like seeing something on the way or having a longer hike you just have to speak with the guide and the group. The guide, Richard, filled the trip with stories about Scotland's history, music and jokes that made the time at the bus very enjoyable; follow his food recommendations!! he knows where are the best restaurants and the best black pudding I've eaten. So, if you go to Scotland for a week, this is the thing you need to do.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHello Sergio, Thanks so much for the lovely feedback. We're delighted to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Richard. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- RaimieWritten on September 6, 20184.5 - ExcellentWhat an experience! Let's be honest, in the 24 hours before our tour left I was thinking "maybe we should have done the 5 day tour...what if it's awful and we're stuck for 7 days...7 days can be a.long.time." Thankfully, within the first couple of hours of getting on our bus, meeting our group/awesome guide Mark, and crossing into the beautiful Highlands, those thoughts totally disappeared! We covered a lot of ground in one week, and I can't imagine having gone for any less! We had a fairly small group of 10, which was conducive to really experiencing things together rather than individually. The landscape and history of Scotland is impossible not to enjoy and fall in love with, and I always felt safe (in transport, accommodations, on some very windy "wee" hill climbs, etc...). I also appreciated that we had freedom to choose quite a few of our activities and tailor the week to really get the most out of it. I would go back in a second! Lastly, our guide Mark was a huge part of what made our week a great one- his humor, knowledge, and reverence for the places/people we were encountering were a gift. Thanks Macbackpackers for some incredible memories!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Raimie, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Mark and everyone else on tour. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon. Cheers, Jaz
- NatalieWritten on September 5, 20185.0 - ExcellentWe took this tour right after the 6-day Orkney Stravaig (with Graeme, and also excellent). Richard was our guide on this tour and he was amazing. We went on some amazing hikes (despite the changeable weather) and he took us to some out-of-the way places. If you're thinking of taking this tour, do it! You will not regret it.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Natalie, Thanks so much for taking the time to rate us and share these lovely pics. We're delighted to hear that you had a fab time on tour with Graeme. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- LisaWritten on September 3, 20185.0 - ExcellentWhat an excellent tour this was. I lucked out and got the most incredible guide and travel group. There were only fourteen of us but we felt like best of friends by the last day. Richard made sure we were able to see everything we wanted to, and if we couldn't, he told us why. I appreciated the honesty, and the encouragement during our incredibly muddy hikes! I also really appreciated all the history and stories Richard told, he is a truly enthusiastic ambassador to his country. I felt like I saw real, authentic Scotland through that bus window! The blackhouse village was the most impressive place to stay - you have to see it! I'm already planning my next trip back to Lewis, Harris and Skye and I can't thank you enough for showing it to me.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Lisa, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and sharing the wonderful pictures. We're delighted to hear that you had a great tour with Richard. We hope to see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- ZackWritten on August 31, 20185.0 - ExcellentThe week I spent in Scotland was easily one of the most memorable moments of my life. The tour took us across the highlands and all the way out to the outer hebrides, which was the main reason I chose this since few tours go that far out. Our guide/driver/part-time historian Richard made the whole trip incredibly entertaining and unlike any group tours that I've done before (in the best ways possible). Our group got to know each other fairly well, and there were plenty of opportunities to meet interesting folks along the way. For me, the most outstanding part of the trip was when we trekked off the beaten path and ended up in places with no one else around. The hikes are not too challenging, but you'll likely want to put in a bit of extra effort to get the best views (and definitely bring a rain jacket). It's difficult to capture all the amazing moments in one review, but all I can say is I definitely want to go back and do another tour with Macbackpackers.Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Zack, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a fab tour with Richard. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
- KKaihydeWritten on August 26, 20185.0 - ExcellentRichard is Amazing! He is so knowledgeable and passionate! He is the best guide I have ever had and I travel about 6 months a year to about 15-20 countries each year! I love the Macbackpackers tours and can’t wait to come back and go on another one soon!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHey Kai, Thanks so much for taking the time to rate us and share the lovely pictures. We're delighted to hear that you had a fantastic tour with Richard. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon! Cheers, Jaz
- JMJenifferWritten on August 21, 20185.0 - ExcellentThis tour was beyond AMAZING!! I am a bit late as I went on this tour starting July 23rd. However, I have not been able to stop thinking about what a fantastic time I had. Granted, the people on the tour were pretty cool so it was easy to have fun but our tour guide (Mark B) was superb. SO many interesting stories and funny tales. We saw some spectacular sights and I learned so much about Scotland. While we did have an itinerary, not once did I feel rushed or like I missed out on anything. There was ample time to see everything listed and then other gems Mark knew about. I am beyond impressed by the whole experience and I must say that Mark set the bar extremely high for the next tour guide I get when I take another MacBackpacker tour!!Show detailed ratings
- EllinorWritten on August 20, 20185.0 - ExcellentExcellent tour, all the 5 star reviews are true! Richard was a welcoming and engaging guide with excellent local knowledge and story telling skills! Cannot recommend highly enough, I’ll definitely be using MacBackpackers again. My only complaint is that it wasn’t long enough!Show detailed ratingsMacBackpackers commented on this reviewHi Ellinor, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear that you had a great time on tour with Richard. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon! Cheers, Jaz
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Day 6
- Day 7
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Richard on top of a Blustery Old Man of Storr
- Neil Sight Spotting from Wester Ross
- Relaxing Clouds overlooking the Old Man of Storr
- What happens when you set the guides free at the beach...
- Sunset Timelapse over Loch Ness - Taken from Lochside Hostel
- Who are MacBackpackers?
- Neil showing off the Old Man of Storr
- Jacobite Steam Train
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Where and when does the tour start?
In the summer season, all our tours depart at 9 am from Castlerock Hostel, 15 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2PW. Check-in time for the tours is at least 15 minutes before departure time.
Are the meals included?
Meals are not included in the tour price, but there is a kitchen at each hostel for you to whip up some tasty meals, or you can head down to the local pub.
What kind of climate should I expect?
July and August are normally the warmest months in Scotland, with temperatures at an average 19 °C (66 °F). Scotland has four seasons; spring, summer, autumn, and winter. However, the changeable nature of the climate means it's not uncommon to experience all four seasons in one day!
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- James12th May 2018
7 Day Best of the West
- Upcoming departures
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- MondayMay 13, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayMay 19, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayMay 20, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayMay 26, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayMay 27, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 2, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJun 3, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 9, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJun 10, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 16, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJun 17, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 23, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJun 24, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJun 30, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJul 1, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 7, 2019to EdinburghOnly 3 seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJul 8, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 14, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
- MondayJul 15, 2019from Edinburgh7 DaysSundayJul 21, 2019to Edinburgh10+ seats left$14USD $459
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- Pound sterlingScotland
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Edinburgh.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 25% to confirm this MacBackpackers booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 16 December 2018 the full payment of $459 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $459 for 7 Day Best of the West, but the deposit of 25% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and MacBackpackers will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for MacBackpackers tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Edinburgh (Scotland)
- 95 km
- Killiecrankie (Scotland)
- 86 km
- Culloden (Scotland)
- 31 km
- Loch Ness (Scotland)
- 27 km
- Inverness (Scotland)
- 73 km
- Ullapool (Scotland)
- 97 km
- Isle of Lewis (Scotland)
- 31 km
- Isle of Harris (Scotland)
- 58 km
- Uig (Scotland)
- 22 km
- Portree (Scotland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $459 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,367 tours in Europe
- covered by 258 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for 7 Day Best of the West via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 86 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on 7 Day Best of the West