France - Loire Castles & Wine Cycling Tour
- Our saving
- US $ 1,246
- Rather Poor
- RRobWritten on August 25, 20174.0 - GoodNice adventure. Maps are confusing though and the signage in the towns isn't greatShow detailed ratings
- TTerriWritten on July 15, 20174.0 - GoodWe had a great experience in Loire Valley. Charlotte transported us to the first hotel, delivered our bikes and was very helpful. She was a wonderful greeter. The first 2 chateaus were wonderful, especially the unique Chateau D'Artigny in Montbazon! The third hotel was disappointing - Fontevraud l'Hotel. The rooms were small, with no air-conditioning. The restaurant was booked and unavailable both nights and the town is so small, that there are hardly any other options. We would recommend not using that hotel again. The maps and guide books were well written and helpful, except for the last day. The map book and guide book didn't follow one another, thus we were very confused on where to go. We ended up just using the map to get home. All in all, this is a very good itinerary and France has wonderful biking routes that are well marked and safe. Of course, this is what we expected for the high price of this trip. This bike tour costs about twice as much as most self-guided tours.Show detailed ratingsPure Adventures commented on this reviewTerri, Thank you for your feedback and we will look into Fontevraud l'Hotel. We appreciate the comments and take them seriously. Glad to hear that you had a lovely trip. Thank you for sharing.
- EKEricaWritten on July 13, 20174.0 - GoodOverall: great experience. Everything went smoothly (apart from the weather, which, of course, is nobody's fault). Didn't really want to go home when we were done. Routes were on lovely, traffic-free, tiny roads, including designated bike paths, which we never would have found on our own. There was only one stretch we had a problem with: along the route from Tours to Azay-le-Rideau there was a trail through woods that really would have been more suitable for mountain biking. We had to find a paved road as soon as possible and take a slightly longer route around. It was also more or less essential to have downloaded the routes onto a phone in order to navigate that way, instead of trying to follow the directions in the booklet. Luckily, one of us had brought a gizmo that attached his phone to his bike, so he could easily see the turns (one consequence of having such lovely tiny routes is that there were a lot of turns to deal with). Occasionally, I tried to follow a route from the booklet and I found that they often diverged from the digital routes, and the directions were in any case very confusingly written and the accompanying maps were not detailed enough to follow directly. Yay Strava (or whatever). Hotels ran from adequate to really lovely, and the staff at all of them were friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were all great. Best hotel ambience hands-down the Hotel Biencourt in Azay-le-Rideau (this is the one that gets the 'really lovely'). The Hotel Plantagenet in Chinon (on the other hand) needs a facelift. It was the least comfortable hotel, so it was a bit unfortunate that it was the one we spent three nights in. Decor was beat-up and unattractive, and the beds were old and sagging. As with all of them, though, the staff were wonderful and breakfast was great; and our kids loved the hotel pets. Bikes and gear were fine. Only one tiny problem: the key for one of the locks they supplied broke off in the lock. I brought the lock to the branch of the rental company in Tours (it is very close to the hotel) and expected them to just swap it out for a new one. They insisted I pay for a new one. I was a bit miffed as I would have expected them to suck it up as ordinary wear and tear (I wasn't, after all, laying the lock on railway lines and watching trains run over it). They were having none of it. The 20 euros didn't break my budget but they left a bad taste in my mouth. Overall, once again, we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I can't wait to do another one. The fact that I've written so much for an online review attests to how strongly I feel about it! (Usually I really can't be bothered.)Show detailed ratingsPure Adventures commented on this reviewAwesome Erica! We are so glad you had such a wonderful time as well as the kids! Please keep us posted how we can help on your next one. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.
- AAnonymousWritten on August 29, 20155.0 - ExcellentRyan emailed us the GPS cycle tracks which was a huge help - much better to use than the maps. The bikes were great - I think you should also offer ebikes as I think many people are nervous to cycle so far but on such an easy route as this one could be encouraged to ride if offered an ebike. Alison was adequate - sweet but thought there were 3 of us instead of 5 of us and had not booked dinner for us - but all worked out well in the end.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive in Amboise
- Day 2: Loop ride to Chenonceau to explore - 28 or 40km
- Day 3: Ride to Tours - 30 or 45 km
- Day 4: Ride To Azay le Rideau: 34 km
- Day 5: Ride to Chinon - 38 km
- Day 6: Loop ride to Saumur and Fontevraud - 44 km
- Day 7: Loop ride through Chinon vineyards - 28 or 45 km
- Day 8: Departure Day
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Ann10th August 2018
France - Loire Castles & Wine Cycling Tour
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- SaturdayOct 20, 2018from Amboise7 DaysFridayOct 26, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- SundayOct 21, 2018from Amboise7 DaysSaturdayOct 27, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- MondayOct 22, 2018from Amboise7 DaysSundayOct 28, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- TuesdayOct 23, 2018from Amboise7 DaysMondayOct 29, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- WednesdayOct 24, 2018from Amboise7 DaysTuesdayOct 30, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- ThursdayOct 25, 2018from Amboise7 DaysWednesdayOct 31, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- FridayOct 26, 2018from Amboise7 DaysThursdayNov 1, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- SaturdayOct 27, 2018from Amboise7 DaysFridayNov 2, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- SundayOct 28, 2018from Amboise7 DaysSaturdayNov 3, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
- MondayOct 29, 2018from Amboise7 DaysSundayNov 4, 2018to Chinon10+ seats left$39USD $1,246
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Amboise is the starting point and Chinon is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Pure Adventures booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 16 December 2018 the full payment of $1,246 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1246 for France - Loire Castles & Wine Cycling Tour, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Pure Adventures will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Pure Adventures tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Amboise (France)
- 11 km
- Chenonceaux (France)
- 30 km
- Tours (France)
- 9 km
- Vouvray (France)
- 9 km
- Tours (France)
- 14 km
- Villandry (France)
- 9 km
- Azay-le-Rideau (France)
- 20 km
- Chinon (France)
- 26 km
- Saumur (France)
- 13 km
- Fontevraud-l'Abbaye (France)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,246 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,367 tours in Europe
- covered by 258 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for France - Loire Castles & Wine Cycling Tour via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on France - Loire Castles & Wine Cycling Tour