Reverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic
- Our saving
- US $ 1,354
- Rather Poor
- SESueWritten on March 13, 20184.5 - Excellent
If you enjoy camping in all weathers, love the camaraderie of meeting new people and touring with them. Happy to take up a challenge and try new experiences then this trip is for you. It is a way of seeing New Zealand and have lots of fun.Show detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks Sue and so glad you had a great trip. You're review is spot on for loving the outdoors though we do throw in some hostel nights and cabin upgrades for those who fancy taking a break from the canvas. :)
- FfuWritten on January 22, 20181.0 - BadShow detailed ratings
Trudi and I raised the request to cancel the hostel booking prior to arriving in Auckland but the tour guide didn't bother calling the hostel to enquire about cancelling the booking and just told us it was already too late to get out of the booking. The... Read more
- MMeiWritten on January 17, 20181.5 - Rather poorShow detailed ratings
Where is the diagram which shows where you can get water from the bus on the onboard guide? I was also accused of breaking the cable ties for the sleeping mat when they were not broken. I had just tied two of them together as I had trouble tying the mat... Read more
- PUPamelaWritten on January 13, 20184.5 - Excellent
My experience with Flying Kiwi Reverse Traverse Queenstown to Auckland was fabulous. Staff were helpful and wanted everyone to have the best experience in New Zealand. I liked that they were actually from New Zealand. My only complaint was that there... Read moreShow detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the comment Pamela and so pleased you loved your trip. Yep the 2 week trip does pack a lot in - all i can say is our 28 day option is the best to see "everytjing" but maybe you can join us and do the remainder another time. :)
- MMeiWritten on January 11, 20181.5 - Rather poor
the Reverse traverse tour joins the Grand Traverse tour group halfway through the tour so I wasn't given a bus introduction and didn't find out how to get water from the bus and didn't even know there was a safe on board etc until my third last day when a... Read moreShow detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewHi Mei, It is very disappointing to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time on tour with us. I have tried to make contact with you directly to discuss some of your concerns, however I have not heard anything back from you. Thank you for taking the time to write, I will attempt to clear up some of your issues or misconceptions with my response here. When new guests join a tour, our driver and guides give an introduction to the bus and onboard facilities. This is sometimes over the bus PA if we are on the road, or as a personal introduction if joining at a camp as you did in Queenstown. We have a comprehensive printed onboard guide that is given to every passenger to read. The guide contains all of the information pertinent to your tour, such as the onboard safe and I am assured that you were given this to read and had an introduction from our senior team on arrival in Queenstown. The nature of a bus tour circumnavigating a whole country, will always lead to people joining and leaving in different places. We have 5 departure or end points to a tour throughout the country, it would be impractical to have all passengers joining and leaving in the same place as guests holiday dates almost always differ. Our teams always try their absolute best to help newcomers to the tour integrate into the group. Of note would be mealtimes, designed with rotating cook groups, actively encouraging social interaction. Getting to know new people and making new friends is one of the many reasons that people join our tours and our staff will do all they can to help with that process. My apologies if you found this difficult or not the case, whilst on board. Waiwera Hot pools are part of the tour that you were on, they are located close to Orewa North of Auckland. Unfortunately on the day that you were due to visit, the pools were closed for construction work, this is completely out of our control and was explained by your guide to the group. The next opportunity to visit Hot Pools was at Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, this would have been after you left the tour in Auckland. Again my apologies if this was a confusing situation. Having booked through a travel agent as you did, your single tent upgrade was paid for at the time of booking, the pre-trip email that you received simply outlines extra costs that passengers may want to consider before their departure. I have looked back through your email correspondence and I can see that when you queried the upgrade cost that you had already paid, Penny replied immediately with this explanation. Similarly, the activities that were listed in the pre trip email are those activities that are extremely popular across New Zealand and therefore we recommend pre booking to secure a place. Some of those activities may not have been on the tour that you did. I realise that this may have led to confusion and I will look to implement a more tour specific pre trip email in the future. The “old” bus that you mention you were in for the second half of your tour is a custom built 2016 Mitsubishi Fuso. It is in its second season of use. I am surprised that you felt that this was an old bus! I was aware and acknowledge that the USB ports failed on one side of the bus after leaving Wellington, however they were repaired within 4 days, as soon as practically possible to get to an auto electrician to fix. My apologies if this issue left you feeling inconvenienced. The fully stocked kitchen on board has multiple kitchen knives for food preparation, the team do their best to keep them sharp and we do have a very good knife sharpener on board. I will let my teams know to verbalise this fact in future so that guests don’t struggle on with a blunt knife. The menus on tour are designed to be wholesome, healthy and filling. We have many years of experience providing meals to our guests and also cater to many specific dietary requirements. The guides shop to a menu that is worked out for the number of people on board. Again I am surprised to hear that you felt that there wasn’t enough food supplied on your tour, this is definitely not echoed in the feedback left by other members of your tour. We have spent many years building relationships with campsite and hostel operators. We try to pick the best of the best for your tour and we have a variety of upgrade options to suit all budgets, in most of the places that we stay. If our guests have issues with camps or hostels, we actively encourage communication of those issues and are happy to report back to the accommodation providers. If we don’t know of an issue at the time, then it is very difficult for us to put it right, or at least inform the campsite owner to see what can be done to find a resolution. You were required to pay for your Jucy hostel in Auckland as you were booked to stay there and didn’t inform us of your intention to stay somewhere else. My team actually spent over an hour in Auckland city centre trying to locate you after you left without word to find your own alternate accommodation. The only other customers who made their own arrangements had finished their tour and were leaving the group in Auckland. My apologies again if you found this situation confusing, had we known that you wanted to find your own accommodation that night we could have cancelled your booking. Once again I am sorry that your tour didn’t live up to your expectations. Customer experience and satisfaction sits extremely high on our priority list. If guests are having problems on tour, generally we find that issues can be resolved quite easily, but only if those issues are brought to our attention at the time.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
DAY 1: QUEENSTOWN - MOUNT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK
Start point Corner Shotover and Camp Street, The Station, Queenstown, Otago Region 9300, New Zealand 14:30
- DAY 2: MOUNT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK - FOX GLACIER
- DAY 3: FOX GLACIER - OKARITO LAGOON
- DAY 4: OKARITO LAGOON - PAPAROA NATIONAL PARK
- DAY 5: PAPAROA NATIONAL PARK - ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
- DAY 6: ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
- DAY 7: ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
- DAY 8: ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK - WELLINGTON
- DAY 9: WELLINGTON - NEW PLYMOUTH
- DAY 10: NEW PLYMOUTH - AUCKLAND
- DAY 11: AUCKLAND - BAY OF ISLANDS
- DAY 12: BAY OF ISLANDS
- DAY 13: BAY OF ISLANDS - OREWA
DAY 14: OREWA - AUCKLAND
End point Bus stop (opposite ferry terminal), 172 Quay Street, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010, New Zealand 18:00
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Average by past passengers
MealsRated Average by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
We are an easy going couple in our early 30's and would like to be with like minded people, What is the general age group of the people on the tour?
Age REALLY is only a number on our tours. The ages can range from 20-70 on some tours and rather than being of a similar age, our travellers have a love for the Great Outdoors, camping in stunning locations, an active holiday and meeting people from all walks of life and all over the world in common.
The average age however is generally between 25-45 years.
Do you arrange bus/service that will take me from the airport to the meeting point?
Yes. We can help arrange a shuttle from the airport to our pick up point.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- William14th November 2018
Reverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic
- Upcoming departures
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- November 2019
- December 2019
- January 2020
- February 2020
- March 2020
- ThursdayJan 31, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysWednesdayFeb 13, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$35USD $1,692
- SaturdayFeb 9, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysFridayFeb 22, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$35USD $1,692
- MondayFeb 18, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysSundayMar 3, 2019to Auckland0 seats left$35USD $1,692Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- WednesdayFeb 27, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysTuesdayMar 12, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$35USD $1,692
- FridayMar 8, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysThursdayMar 21, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$35USD $1,692
- SundayMar 17, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysSaturdayMar 30, 2019to Auckland0 seats left$35USD $1,692Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- TuesdayMar 26, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysMondayApr 8, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$35USD $1,692
- ThursdayApr 4, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysWednesdayApr 17, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$373$1,727-22%USD $1,354
- SaturdayApr 13, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysFridayApr 26, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$373$1,727-22%USD $1,354
- SaturdayNov 2, 2019from Queenstown14 DaysFridayNov 15, 2019to Auckland4 seats left$393$1,819-22%USD $1,426
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- DollarNew Zealand
Plugs & Adapters
- Queenstown is the starting point and Auckland is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Flying Kiwi booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 25 March 2019 the full payment of $1,354 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1354 for Reverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Flying Kiwi will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Flying Kiwi tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Queenstown (New Zealand)
- 68 km
- Lake Wanaka (New Zealand)
- 137 km
- Fox Glacier (New Zealand)
- 29 km
- Okarito (New Zealand)
- 157 km
- Punakaiki (New Zealand)
- 189 km
- Abel Tasman NP (New Zealand)
- 46 km
- Nelson (New Zealand)
- 60 km
- Picton (New Zealand)
- 65 km
- Wellington (New Zealand)
- 255 km
- New Plymouth (New Zealand)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,354 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 1,280 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 82 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Reverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 5 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Reverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic