Spain - The Route of the Caliphate
- Our saving
- US $ 1,430
- Hotel, Resort
- Travel style
- Rather Poor
- DDianePraterWritten on July 16, 20184.0 - GoodFun variety of routes/terrains. I enjoyed the combination of pavement, dirt, and via verdes. Some very interesting/run routes. Also a good combination of accommodation types. Even though we were on a self-guided trip, we felt "taken care of" by both the local and US contacts, as they both checked in on us often and even went looking for us on a day that we were out in a storm :)Show detailed ratingsPure Adventures commented on this reviewThanks Diane for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Look forward to seeing you on your next Pure Adventures trip!
- EricWritten on June 23, 20153.5 - GoodA few things to be aware of: 1. The self guided instructions we found were quite poor. I think this might be a Spain issue. We had the same problem in Catalonia with another tour company. (Note we have taken many other tours in other countries the directions were never a big issue). Poor directions lead to wasted time, backtracking and making modifications to get to your next destination. We found we could spend an average of 2 minutes on each instruction and maybe longer when the directions were ambiguous. As an example, on the last leg of this trip to Granada there were over 40 route instructions. Hint: If you do take this trip, GPS units that map out the whole caliphate trail are available through Otros (the Pure Adventures representative out of Granada). This electronic aid would have saved a ton of time, made the ride more relaxing greatly reducing the chance of getting confused with the written instructions. The problem with bad instructions is that you have distances to make and when it starts getting hot (which it did!) you can't afford to take a wrong turn. It actually can become dangerous when temps surge up into the high 90's. So make sure to carry a lot of water! 2. Also make sure you and your partner have mobile phones so if one of you has to go ahead to verify that the directions are correct you can call or text them to come a long or to tell them to stay put. No sense everyone exerting extra energy. Also make sure you have Spanish mobile numbers. We used Orange (sim cards for Spain) and service coverage was available almost everywhere. Unlimited texting in country, data plans of 1 and 2 gig. We paid $20 for voice. We did use the phone to make a few calls and think it important to have enough minutes in case of emergency or change in plans etc. Once you go through the pain of setting up your mobile phone at the local Orange store (other carrier choices are available but Orange seemed to be the dominant player), you can then when needed recharge your minutes and data plan through http://www.recharge.com/en-US/ . This was huge because our Spanish was limited and you could choose your carrier and the language. The process was easy and painless. The other huge benefit if you have a smart phone was the use of either Google maps or apple mapping. I used this often to verify where we were and also used it when we needed to make modifications due to ambiguous instructions. If I had had the GPS this probably would not have been so important but this was a nice tool to have. The last thing I will say is that you will run into other cyclists. More often on the weekend but I found when we asked for assistance the Spanish Cyclists were so willing to help even with the language barriers. So don't be afraid to ask for assistance! Learning some Spanish though is important. If you don't you will get frustrated because most people do not speak English in the rural areas so you are on your own. 3. The accommodations were just okay. We did upgrade our stay in Granada, which was fantastic. Sometimes though it is just not possible when you are out in the country to have beyond a 2 to 3 star stay. With that said, everywhere we stayed the management/owners were very nice and that made up the difference. Summary: So with all that said, I really liked Pure Adventures and their local representative in Spain. They are very responsive and will do everything possible to make your trip a happy one. That was huge. We loved Spain and the people. For the most part the rides were also enjoyable. Some days were better than others but this is what happens when you are cycling so you have to have the right mindset. If you like to be independent and go at your own pace, self-guided is the way to go. If you don't want to worry about directions and getting lost go with a guide!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrival Cordoba
- Day 2: Córdova - Luque - Priego, 26 km
- Day 3: Priego - Carcabuey - Cabra - Zuheros, 54 km
- Day 4: Zuheros - Luque - Alcaudete - Castillo de Locubín - Alcalá la Real, 60 km
- Day 5: Alcalá la Real - Tózar, 28 km
- Day 6: Tózar - Moclín - Olivares - Alfacar y Víznar - Granada, 56 or 62 km
- Day 7: Today you can explore the city and the amazing Alhambra
- Day 8: End of the journey in Granada and departure
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
MealsRated Average by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Can a solo traveller join this trip?
This tour is not available for solo travelers, unfortunately.
Get in contact with us and our customer support team will work on pairing you with the perfect adventure.
Is there a single supplement available on this tour?
Yes. Please take note that there will be an extra charge for a single supplement room. Please contact us to arrange this.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Ivy30th July 2018
Spain - The Route of the Caliphate
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- December 2018
- MondayOct 22, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysMondayOct 29, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- TuesdayOct 23, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysTuesdayOct 30, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- WednesdayOct 24, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysWednesdayOct 31, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- ThursdayOct 25, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysThursdayNov 1, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- FridayOct 26, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysFridayNov 2, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- SaturdayOct 27, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysSaturdayNov 3, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- SundayOct 28, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysSundayNov 4, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- MondayOct 29, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysMondayNov 5, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- TuesdayOct 30, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysTuesdayNov 6, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
- WednesdayOct 31, 2018from Cordoba8 DaysWednesdayNov 7, 2018to Cordoba10+ seats left$44USD $1,430
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Spain. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Start and end in Cordoba.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Pure Adventures booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 18 December 2018 the full payment of $1,430 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1430 for Spain - The Route of the Caliphate, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Pure Adventures will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Pure Adventures tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Cordoba (Spain)
- 56 km
- Zuheros (Spain)
- 75 km
- Granada (Spain)
- 131 km
- Cordoba (Spain)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,430 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,394 tours in Europe
- covered by 259 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Spain - The Route of the Caliphate via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 2 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Spain - The Route of the Caliphate