- US $ 4,080
- St Petersburg
- Study views of St Petersburg and Moscow
- Join the Trans-Siberian Railway for our 3-day trip to Irkutsk
- Explore nature of the Mongolia
- Finish trip in the capital of the most populous country, Beijing
- Age range
- 15 to 99 year olds
- Hotel, Home-stay, Camping, Sleeper Train
- Max Group Size
- Train & Rail, Coach / Bus, Local Transport
- Physical Rating
- Rather Poor
- MarkWritten on June 22, 20135.0 - ExcellentPalaces, museums, monasteries, yak meat, milk and curd, and of course ... cucumber. Trains, buses and camels and the Metros of Saint Petersburg and Moscow. Churches and temples, shamanism and Buddhism to orthodox Russian churches ... hotels and home stays and train cabins.... vodka and beers.... 21 days that will heighten and overwhelm all your senses with dry deserts, snow capped mountains, grassy endless plains and fur-tree forests stretching from wet Russia in the west to dry Mongolia in the east... towns of churches, traditional houses, and industry to the very modern Beijing with department stores, highways and cars and a changing diet of local foods but always with an option to have cucumber for breakfast, lunch and dinner - pickled, dry or sliced raw, Opera in the Mariinsky Theatre, Mongolian throat singing and Chinese Kung Fu Theatre, this is the Trans Mongolian Experience from Saint Petersburg to Beijing. It is an experience not for those that tire easily - Russians can drink Vodka on a train until early hours - nor for those not willing to explore and climb and hike the Metros and hillsides, nor for those with sensitive noses with scents and smells from the crisp clean air of the gardens of the Palaces of Saint Petersburg to the incense laden fragrances of smoky Temples and Monasteries of China and Mongolia, definitely not for those with a sore back who can't sleep on the hard rocking beds of trains or the firm beds of a Mongolian ger, nor for those with sensitive touch who won't experience the rough architecture of an ancient wall or the amazing softness of Mongolian cashmere and definitely not for those with sensitive eyes that won't appreciate the opulence of the Amber Room of Catherine Palace or the vivid colours and designs of Asian decorative styles. And the best thing about this trip is the free time to engage a local tour guide to visit local landmarks or wander the back streets and less tourist filled areas of cities and towns. HINT: Do some research, be it history, or culture, language or geography or all of these. Look on the Internet for a local tour guide; buy your ticket for the Hermitage or Bolshoi Ballet and opera at the Mariinsky Theatre online, and be fit and healthy and ready to have every sense and every muscle and bone in your body assailed to its limits. I hope you enjoy and make the most this trip as much as I did!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: St Petersburg
- Day 2: St Petersburg
- Day 3: St Petersburg - Overnight Train
- Day 4: Suzdal
- Day 5: Moscow
- Day 6: Moscow
- Day 7: Trans-Siberian Railway
- Day 11: Lake Baikal
- Day 12: Lake Baikal
- Day 13: Irkutsk - Trans-Mongolian Railway
- Day 15: Ulaanbaatar
- Day 16: Terelj National Park
- Day 17: Ulaanbaatar
- Day 18: Ulaanbaatar - Overnight Train
- Day 19: Beijing
- Day 20: Beijing
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- August 1, 2016
Is the airfare included on this trip?
TourRadar specializes in giving you the best tours from around the world, however the tours we offer do not include airfare and we do not book or advise on airfare. You will be responsible for booking your flights to meet with the group at the starting city.
- July 18, 2016
What is the average age on this tour?
The general age range is 25-49 however Intrepid's appeal is diverse, which is why it is all about your shared attitude, not age.
- June 20, 2016
How do I get my Chinese visa?
Intrepid can help you by sending you some information on the visa process.
You will be required to organise your own Chinese visa for this trip. We recommend contacting your local embassy to help you with the process of obtaining this visa.
It is solely your responsibility to ensure that you are in possession of the necessary documentation to comply with the laws and regulations of the countries to be visited.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Doris3rd February 2018
- Upcoming departures
- April 2018
- May 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- MondayApr 9, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayApr 28, 2018to BeijingOnly 3 seats leftUSD $4,405
- MondayApr 23, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayMay 12, 2018to BeijingOnly 2 seats leftUSD $4,200
- MondayMay 7, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayMay 26, 2018to Beijing6 seats leftUSD $4,405
- MondayMay 14, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayJun 2, 2018to BeijingOnly 2 seats leftUSD $4,405
- MondayMay 21, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayJun 9, 2018to Beijing4 seats leftUSD $4,370
- MondayJul 16, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayAug 4, 2018to Beijing0 seats leftUSD $4,370Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- MondayJul 23, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayAug 11, 2018to Beijing4 seats leftUSD $4,625
- MondayJul 30, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayAug 18, 2018to Beijing6 seats leftUSD $4,405
- MondayAug 6, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdayAug 25, 2018to Beijing6 seats leftUSD $4,405
- MondayAug 13, 2018from St Petersburg20 DaysSaturdaySep 1, 2018to Beijing7 seats leftUSD $4,405
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- Yuan RenminbiChina
Plugs & Adapters
- Recommended for Russia, Mongolia and China. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Russia, Mongolia and China. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Russia, Mongolia and China. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Russia, Mongolia and China. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an area with a risk of yellow fever transmission for Russia and China. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Russia and China. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Russia, Mongolia and China. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Recommended for Mongolia and China. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Recommended for China. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- St Petersburg is the starting point and Beijing is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Intrepid Travel to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this Intrepid Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 23 April 2018 the full payment of $4,080 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $4080 for Trans-Mongolian Experience, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Intrepid Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- St Petersburg (Russia)
- 710 km
- Suzdal (Russia)
- 191 km
- Moscow (Russia)
- 4,354 km
- Lake Baikal (Russia)
- 281 km
- Irkutsk (Russia)
- 521 km
- Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
- 1,169 km
- Beijing (China)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $4,080 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 7,407 tours in Europe
- covered by 183 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Trans-Mongolian Experience
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Why we love it
Is this trip right for you
Food and dietary requirements
What to take
Climate and seasonal
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers