Stray - Ron Pass (South Island)
- Our saving
- US $ 462
- +11 Destinations
- New Zealand South Island
- Age Range
- 18 to 49 year olds
- Free fishing gear, mountain bike to enjoy Picton
- Try wine tasting in Marlborough vineyard area
- Check out the party scene in Queensland
- Stunning coastal national park with golden sand
- Rather Poor
- SGSkylerWritten on May 5, 20174.0 - GoodStray overall was pretty good. The busses could have been better considering you have some long days on them. The drivers are good and usually know what they are talking about. Do your research about the hostels they stay at, some are good but others like Base are just pure crap and not worth your money. Stray has a mixture of ages, bus for everyone not just young party travellersShow detailed ratings
- JJacquelineWritten on January 30, 20174.0 - GoodEverything was great. I had such a great time at the South Island.Show detailed ratings
- FLFrancescaWritten on January 7, 20173.5 - GoodI really enjoyed my travelling around NZ. Stray is easy to handle and I liked the hop on-hop off system. The buses weren't that nice and WIFI wasn't available at all. Most of the accomodation were really really nice and comfortable. All in all a great experience and I would travell again with STRAY!Show detailed ratings
- NYNaihouWritten on December 26, 20164.0 - Goodmore communication and planing with stray may bring more good experience in your journey.Show detailed ratings
- RPRobWritten on December 15, 20162.5 - AverageCompared to my experience with G-Adventures, I found my experience with Stray terrible. Our tour leader (Skins) would on occasion cook us meals but would not cook us the vegetarians on the tour a replacement meal and instead had to cook our own food. We found him very inpatient even if some people were only 2 mins late to the bus. Of course your experience on Stray will vary depending on who your tour leader is, we were just unlucky.Show detailed ratingsStray Travel commented on this reviewHi Rob, I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your Stray experience. I will show your feedback to our Operations Manager. We would really appreciate it if you could give us more details about how we could have done better - please email email@example.com. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
- MMMariaWritten on November 29, 20165.0 - ExcellentI cannot recommend Stray Travel enough. We were in Kaikoura when the earthquake occurred on 14/11/2016. Pickles our amazing driver kept us informed everyday on what was happening and Stray flew us out of on a chartered plane to Christchurch within 24 hours, amazing service. We continued our journey with Happy and had a wonderful trip. We were 5 women aged 53-63 and had an absolute ball on the bus. Thanks Stray!!!!Show detailed ratings
- KSKloeWritten on July 26, 20164.0 - GoodSo much fun, fab drivers with special mention to Postie and his AMAZING bargain group meals - best way to bond with the rest of the bus! Accomodation mostly good too!Show detailed ratings
- KandraWritten on March 2, 20164.5 - ExcellentI am so glad a friend told me to check out Stray. I was researching Kiwi Experience as it was the most obvious before she suggested Stray. Stray bus gave me the New Zealand experience I wanted. I wanted to be outside, hit the highlights and be off the beaten track. The online system is brutal but I found usually calling worked best. As with all bus companies, travelling during peak season makes it very hard to take advantage of the hop off. I am glad I did Stray because since it was so busy it was nice to have a guaranteed spot for activities and accommodation.Show detailed ratingsStray Travel commented on this reviewWe're stoked to hear Stray gave you the holiday experience you were after! We know the online system can be challenging and we are working on making it more user-friendly. Thanks for your review!
- FaithWritten on January 18, 20164.0 - GoodWe went on this trip as a couple and both really enjoyed the experience. We had four drivers, Flipper, Possum, Maverick and Moose. All were good but we enjoyed our time with Moose by far the most, he always got us involved on the bus and organised social events and dinners in the evening so we could all get to know each other. We were shocked to find out it was his first tour, and we wish him all the best with his future tours! Possum and Flipper were also a lot of fun and they were very informative about everything along the way! The stray system works great, whenever we needed to change our iternary head office would do it for us within minutes over the phone, no matter where we were or what we needed. I would say the online system needs a bit of work, as we know a few people struggled as well as we did to change our iternary online. The only negative point i would say on the tour was that there are limited space availability with some activities, and if you do not get your name down fast enough you miss out. Stray may need to organise getting more places when its really busy, so that people don't miss out on amazing experiences. In particular the star gazing does not get organised at all in advance by stray and many people missed out on such a magnificent opportunity because it was booked out. Luckily we stayed two extra days just so we could do it. Overall we really enjoyed stray travel and we would consider using the service again in the future :) it was a wonderful experience and an easy way to make friends on the way!Show detailed ratings
- SSamyWritten on December 14, 20154.5 - ExcellentI travelled with Stray on the South Island for 15 days, so I couldn't really hop off at any place to stay longer - but that didn't really matter because the busses were getting full to the beginning of summer season and so I was kinda glad to have my bus booked from the first to the last day of travel. Overall the trip with Stray was incredible. I had so much fun, met so many awesome people, saw heaps of the beautiful country of New Zealand and was sad when it was over. My drivers were mostly awesome, motivated and likeable people who you really could see enjoying their jobs. It was great that Stray always guaranteed the first two nights in every accommodation, so I never had to worry about a hostel being fully booked when I arrived there. It was perfectly easy to book activities through the driver and everything worked out well. I actually can't give Stray any major minus points in my review - as boring as that is, it's just true. I loved that Stray is not a party bus and that no one is forced to do anything and you can decide on your own if you want to to stuff with the group or do your own thing. Both is perfectly possible. I love that concept of getting to places that are not the most touristy spots, for example gunn's camp (despite getting eaten by sandflies it was awesome there) but also stop at the classic spots everyone wants to see being in New Zealand. Awesome time, guys! Cheers to you!Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Christchurch to Picton
- Picton to Marahau (Abel Tasman)
- Marahau (Abel Tasman)
- Marahau (Abel Tasman) to Westport
- Westport to Franz Josef
- Franz Josef
- Franz Josef to Wanaka
- Wanaka to Queenstown
- Queenstown to Gunn’s Camp
- Gunn’s Camp to Invercargill/Stewart Island
- Invercargill/Stewart Island to Queenstown
- Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook
- Mt Cook to Christchurch
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- Ultime Travel Guide: New Zealand
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- October 1, 2016
What is the age limit for this tour?
This particular tour is suitable for anyone from 18-70 years old.
- October 1, 2016
What is a hop-on,hop-off tour?
This tour is "hop-on hop-off" bus network. What does this mean? You choose a bus pass, then make your way around its travel route in the time that suits you. "Hop" off the bus anywhere at anytime, to stay longer, visit friends or even work for a while. Then "hop" back on again. It is that easy! The buses run regularly (check the timetable) and all passes are valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
If you are short on time, you don't have to ever "hop off" - you can also use your Stray bus pass like a tour and complete the itinerary in its "Minimum Days". With this you will still enjoy outstanding locations and unique attractions around New Zealand, and we have included some non-travel days to break up your journey and allow your driver-guide to rest.
Stray is NOT an A to B bus service! We make stops along the way to show you amazing things, like a beautiful waterfall, short scenic walk, local food tasting or breathtaking views.
- September 1, 2016
Is the accommodation included in the tour price?
The Ron Pass does not include accommodation, activities or boat tickets - you have the flexibility to choose what suits your budget and pay-as-you-go.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Andrew, 27 years old2nd May 2017
Stray - Ron Pass (South Island)
- Upcoming departures
- November 2017
- December 2017
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- ThursdayNov 23, 2017from ChristchurchThursdayDec 7, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- FridayNov 24, 2017from ChristchurchFridayDec 8, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- SundayNov 26, 2017from ChristchurchSundayDec 10, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- TuesdayNov 28, 2017from ChristchurchTuesdayDec 12, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- ThursdayNov 30, 2017from ChristchurchThursdayDec 14, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- FridayDec 1, 2017from ChristchurchFridayDec 15, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- SundayDec 3, 2017from ChristchurchSundayDec 17, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- TuesdayDec 5, 2017from ChristchurchTuesdayDec 19, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- ThursdayDec 7, 2017from ChristchurchThursdayDec 21, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
- FridayDec 8, 2017from ChristchurchFridayDec 22, 2017in ChristchurchOur saving$147Price$609-24%USD $4625 spaces left
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- DollarNew Zealand
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Christchurch.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 35% to confirm this Stray Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 19 January 2018 the full payment of $462 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $462 for Stray - Ron Pass (South Island), but the deposit of 35% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Stray Travel will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Stray Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Christchurch (New Zealand)
- 273 km
- Picton (New Zealand)
- 95 km
- Abel Tasman NP (New Zealand)
- 147 km
- Westport (New Zealand)
- 213 km
- Franz Josef (New Zealand)
- 170 km
- Wanaka (New Zealand)
- 52 km
- Queenstown (New Zealand)
- 71 km
- Milford Sound (New Zealand)
- 196 km
- Invercargill (New Zealand)
- 72 km
- Stewart Island (New Zealand)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $462 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 865 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 52 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Stray - Ron Pass (South Island) via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 6,245 travellers have already met
before they left for their Australia/Oceania tour
Download TourRadar Meet App
- 11 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Stray - Ron Pass (South Island)