High Peaks of Bulgaria
- Our saving
- US $ 1,335
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
- +7 Destinations
- Rhodope Mountains
Start in Sofia and end in London! With the hiking & trekking tour High Peaks of Bulgaria, you have a 8 day tour package taking you through Sofia, Bulgaria and 6 other destinations in Europe. High Peaks of Bulgaria is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
- Age range
- 18 to 80 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Physical Rating
- Travel style
- Hiking & Trekking
17 ReviewsWrite a review
- AnonymousWritten on July 15, 20135.0 - ExcellentIt has been three years since my last Exodus trip and this one reminded me of what I had missed. Great accomodation, lots of quality chunky walks, pleasant group and outstanding leader. Able to relax in evenings. Holiday as well as a challenge. Met friendly people everywhere.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Enjoyed the penultimate walk especially winding up through several lakes over snow to peak. Surprised by good quality of hotels. Also managed to see the final set of Wimbledon after walk(avoiding the stress of the first two sets!) in hotel restaurant. The Bulgarians were accomodating of our enthusiasm.What did you think of your group leader?Competent,organised ,charismatic and likeable. Introduced us to Bulgarian culture in imaginative way. Won`t spoil it for others by telling his stories!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?I was anticipating searing hot temperatures but the mountain walks were reasonably cool(some snow about) which was a blessing for ascent.Â Is there anything else you would like to add?Only reservation was missing a quick tour of Sofia at the end due to half the group being on early flight. The final hotel was upmarket but unfortunately some of us didn`t get to enjoy it as we left 4am.
- AnonymousWritten on October 2, 20124.0 - GoodGreat leader. Very tough walking but accomadation great, so would recommend separate gradeing of walking and accomadation.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?5 mountain tops in 7 days!What did you think of your group leader?Very good.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Be aware that walking is long days in hot conditions. Accomadation and food great but good level of fitness required.Is there anything else you would like to add?Enjoy trip with great group. Our leader was brilliant and great fun with good local knowledge. Our driver was allways on time and drove very carefully. Accomadation was good with plenty of nice local food. Local food and drink also resonable priced.
- AnonymousWritten on September 17, 20125.0 - ExcellentGreat views, warm people, some effort requiredWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Reaching the peaks and the views from them, taking in some of the previous days walks. The ability to relax at the end of the day, in calm surroundings.What did you think of your group leader?Vladi was a great leader, who understood the group very well, picking up on the banter and adding to it. Helpful, patient, always on hand; we were well guided and looked after by him.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Thought the climbs were harder than expected, but you got used to them by the end (challenging I guess). Not an issue if you are a mountain goat, or adjust well. Depending on the time of year that you travel, you might find it quite hot, well into the high 30's or even 40's.Is there anything else you would like to add?Enjoyed the basic food which was so much tastier than in the UK. The mountains, towns, villages, were such a great place to wander around; very relaxing after the days walk, and you forget about work easily. We summited Mt. Musala during the nations public holiday, it was pretty busy; great to see so many people making the effort.
- AnonymousWritten on September 11, 20124.0 - GoodIn my experience this holiday is right in the middle of the Challenging grading. The scenary was good without being spectacular but the accommodation and food was excellent. The highlight of the trip was the quality of the Leader. Vladimir was outstanding.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The fifth and most challenging day. Exhausted but very satisfied.What did you think of your group leader?Vladimir was professional, knowledgeable and friendly. His English was excellent and he made a good trip great.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Take your swimming costume for the swimming pool at the Hotel in Goverdartsi.
- AnonymousWritten on August 5, 20125.0 - ExcellentThis was a hard-work holiday, but so worth it. It was far more varied than we'd expected. Each mountain was very different, from bare-rock splendour to a weather and military station with a kiosk serving tea! Blazing sun to hail and thunder, beech woods to alpine meadows and pastures, village hotel with live local music and dancing to sightseeing in the capital city, culture to wildflowers, glacial lakes with romantic legends to ski resorts, weird rock formations to monastery buildings and, best of all, the incredibly varied scenery and views, oh, the views!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Reaching the summit of Mt. Vihren. We felt a huge sense of achievement and terribly proud of ourselvesÂ reaching thisÂ real top-of-the-world summit with breathtaking views after a steep ascent and a final bare rock 'long exciting scramble' (see Trip Notes). Mind you, 'long exciting scramble'Â became an in-joke term for serious understatement in our group!What did you think of your group leader?Vladimir was superb. He was efficient, knowledgeable, cheerful, professional, encouraging. His obvious experience as a guide, along with him being an excellent psychologist, really helped us to complete all the walks despite being inexperienced mountain walkers. He was accurate and solidly realistic about what we would be facing each day. We felt that if he thought we could do it, we could, but that he would certainly have dissuaded us if he thought we couldn't (but oh so courteously!).Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Use walking poles. Those long ascents and descents are VERY hard on the knees!Although we are keen walkers, we had little mountain experience and were very apprehensive about our trip. We worked hard on our fitness in the gym and were extremely glad that we had. These are long days at a good pace and you canÂ be walking steeply up and still be doingÂ so hours later!We really wished we had had those back-pack hydration systems with drinking tubes. We had regular short drink/snack/rest stops, but it was hot and thirsty walking at times.Is there anything else you would like to add?Work on your fitness, listen to your group leader's advice andÂ then enjoyÂ a challenging, varied, rewarding and interesting trip.
- AnonymousWritten on August 1, 20125.0 - ExcellentWell organised with professional and friendly staff, all in all a great trip with amazing scenery.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Reaching the sumit of Mt Vihren.What did you think of your group leader?Very professional, helpful, friendly -Â all round he wasÂ excellent.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Depending on the room you get at the hotel in Bansko you might need ear plugs. Most people didn't seem to have this but we were at the back of the hotel and there were dogs barking pretty much all night. Thank goodness I packed mine so it wasn't a problem. One or two of the walks are either long or quite hard so make sure you are fit enough to enjoy them.Is there anything else you would like to add?This was a really good trip, the walking was excellent with some challenging bits but that made it all the more satisfiying to do. I would definetly recommend this trip. The scenery was wonderful and the guide very knowledgeable. The Bulgarians were very friendly especially at the hotel in the Rila area. This was the best hotel with some really good traditional home cooking. The hosts there were really friendly and there is a pool, so you might want to take your costume. Also after the longest walk the driver of the bus arrived to pick us up with cold beers! I have never enjoyed a beer so much. I would also like to add that both the guide and the driver were great - very friendly and helpful. Â All in all a great trip - do it!
- AnonymousWritten on September 19, 20114.0 - GoodThis was a great trip. Excellent walking, a great tour leader and fascinating country. Highly recommended. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The walking was challenging but the views wonderful and it was great to return to a big meal and nice hotel each evening.What did you think of your group leader?The tour leader Vladimir was excellent. He was extremely knowledgeable about his country, it's history, culture and wildlife. On the last day in Sofia he took time to show us around the city, which was an added bonus.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Providing you are fit enough for the walking this is an excellent trip for people who enjoy a challenging week but want to return to some comfort at night. Bulgaria is a wonderful place and is highly recommended.
- AnonymousWritten on September 14, 20114.0 - GoodThe perfect mountain week with several ascents in different scenaries, all of them unspoilt and a cultural break halfway through the week visiting monasteries, caves and geological features. Tough but extremely rewarding. Great weather, food and accommodation!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The last day features the ascent to the tallest peak in the range. We decided to tackle it scrambling up the ridge as opposed to walking up the path and it was exhilarating. It was also great to realise how fitter we all had become at the end of the week.What did you think of your group leader?The group leader was passionate about her country and keen to explain to us traditions and backgrounds.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?The walks are tough but you do not need to be a mountaineer, you can build up for it by visiting your local gym. Additionally if you did not feel up to walking to the summit, most walks had points were you could stop for instance by a beautiful mountain lake a few hundred meters below the summit and wait while the rest of the group walked to the top and then down again.Is there anything else you would like to add?We were really spoilt by both the tour leader and the driver who on a couple of occasions greeted us at the end of our day with fresh beers waiting for us in the minibus!The scenary is totally unspoilt and the villages and little towns where we stayed felt like a step back in time.It just goes to show that sometimes you do not need to travel very far to feel far from home :)
- AnonymousWritten on August 16, 20114.0 - GoodLovely mountains with beautiful plants and wildlife. The guide and driver went out of their way to be helpful and the hotels were friendly and welcoming. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Walking through a mist shrouded forest and then emerging onto a sunny plateauWhat did you think of your group leader?Excellent leader. He gave me a memory stick full of Bulgarian folk music after we discussed listening to local musicians.
- AnonymousWritten on October 4, 20074.0 - GoodWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Alpine flowers and bird life and some great mountain scenery.What did you think of your group leader?The guide was very knowledgeable about the regions we visited, Bulgarian history and the flora and fauna of the area.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Bansko
- Day 2: Hike across the Todrina Porta pass (2500m) via Vasilashki and Bandersihki lakes.
- Day 3: Ascent of Mt. Vihren (2914m), the highest peak in the Pirin Mountains.
- Day 4: Visit the Rila Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and walk in the surrounding nature reserve.
- Day 5: Panoramic hike through the heart of the Rila Mountains.
- Day 6: Ascent of Mt Malyovitsa (2729m).
- Day 7: Ascent of Mt Musala (2925m); transfer to Sofia.
- Day 8: End Sofia.
Expand allDownload PDF Brochure
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Page, 60 years old4th October 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
High Peaks of Bulgaria
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- SaturdayJun 29, 2019from Sofia8 DaysSaturdayJul 6, 2019to London8 seats left$67USD $1,335
- SaturdayJul 13, 2019from Sofia8 DaysSaturdayJul 20, 2019to London8 seats left$67USD $1,335
- SaturdayJul 27, 2019from Sofia8 DaysSaturdayAug 3, 2019to London8 seats left$68USD $1,365
- SaturdayAug 17, 2019from Sofia8 DaysSaturdayAug 24, 2019to London8 seats left$68USD $1,365
- SaturdaySep 14, 2019from Sofia8 DaysSaturdaySep 21, 2019to London8 seats left$67USD $1,335
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
- Pound sterlingEngland
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Bulgaria. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Recommended for Bulgaria. Ideally 3 months before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Bulgaria. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Sofia is the starting point and London is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 18 December 2018 the full payment of $1,335 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1335 for High Peaks of Bulgaria, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 2,279 km.
- Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 96 km
- Bansko (Bulgaria)
- 12 km
- Pirin National Park (Bulgaria)
- 12 km
- Bansko (Bulgaria)
- 44 km
- Rila (Bulgaria)
- 20 km
- Malyovitsa (Bulgaria)
- 18 km
- Mt Musala (Bulgaria)
- 61 km
- Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 2,015 km
- London (England)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,335 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,394 tours in Europe
- covered by 259 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 22,934 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Europe tours