8 days / $188 per day
Ask a question about this tour
24/7 Customer Support
Start and end in Catania! With the discovery tour Sicilian Volcanoes, you have a 8 day tour package taking you through Catania, Italy and 7 other destinations in Italy. Sicilian Volcanoes includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
- Age range
- 16 to 99 year olds
- Max Group Size
- Travel style
41 ReviewsWrite a review
- AnonymousWritten on November 7, 20135.0 - ExcellentReally enjoyed this trip, lots of variety from chaotic Catania to the tranquility and clear blue seas of the volcanic islands and the mars scape at the top of Etna. Walking was not too hard or too easy (it pays to be a bit fit though)What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Watching the firey erruptions from the top of Stromboli at sunset and the climb down at night , like sliding down the worlds biggest sand dune.What did you think of your group leader?Salvatore was great, good sense of humour relaxed and willing to accomodate group and individual wishes. The assistant leader Eva on her first trip was lovely and an experienced photographic instructor as an added bonus.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Make sure you spend another few days in Sicilly after the trip, there is so much to see, so much variety and it really is an easy place to travel using public transport. Get fit first and you will enjoy the walks and climbs so much more.Is there anything else you would like to add?Maybe not great if you are very afraid of heights although there is nothing really dangerous and the views are spectacular.Maybe one day less on Lipari and one day extra on another island, not that there wasn't plenty to see on Lipari but the other islands looked intruiging too (you can visit on your free day anyway).
- AnonymousWritten on November 5, 20134.0 - GoodAn enjoyable week spent exploring Sicily and the Aeolian islands, with tasty local food and wine and excellent company.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Undoubtedly, the climb to the top of Stromboli for sunset, and the subsequent volcanic eruptions were my favourite part of the trip.Â The climb up was the most difficult (and enjoyable) of the week with superb views from the top.Â The sight of Stromboli erupting every 10-15 minutes was spectacular, and could arguably be included in a list of '100 things to see/do before you die'.Â The walk back down in the dark (lit by headtorches) was great fun too.Â IÂ rather likedÂ the bar we stopped in on the way back to the hotel - open air terrace, laid back jazz, cold Italian beer and complimentary bar snacks are an excellent combination.Mt Etna deciding to erupt on the day before we came home (and were due to climb it!) was a welcome, and unexpected bonus!What did you think of your group leader?Salvatore was a good group leader.Â He came across as a genuinely nice chap, and throughout theÂ week he was consistently cheerful and enthusiastic.Â All elements ofÂ our trip took place as expected in the trip notes, and he also ensured all of our logistics (private transfers, ferries, local buses, accommodation, etc) went smoothly too.Â He alsoÂ went beyond what was expected of him by takingÂ us for an extra walk on the free day (which I think was greatly appreciated by all concerned), andÂ emailing us photographs he'd taken once we'd arrived home.Although Salvatore's English was fine, I found him to be quite softly spoken,Â meaning he was sometimes quite difficult to make out while briefing us as a group.Â Â I felt thisÂ sometimes resulted in a little bit of confusion / concernÂ within our group as to what was happening and what we were doing next.Â Or possibly people weren't listening carefully enough.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Our trip took place at the end of October (20th - 27th) and the temperatures wereÂ still very highÂ (no rain all week, and temperatureÂ estimated between 25 - 30 degreesÂ most days).Â Even though much of the walking isn't particularly strenuous, the heat does play quite a big part -soÂ think carefully before considering this trip during peak season, and prepare accordingly (especially plenty of water).Is there anything else you would like to add?Overall, I'd rate this as a good trip, but not an exceptional one.The walking was pretty good (with the volcano walks on Vulcano, Stromboli and Etna being the highlights),Â I was withÂ a genuinely nice group of people,Â our leader did a fine job of showing us around, and everything on the trip went smoothly.I did feel however that for a 1 week tripÂ there was quite a lot of queuing / waiting about for public transportÂ (local buses, ferries, etc).Â Although all theÂ accommodation we stayed in wasÂ clean, providedÂ excellent breakfastsÂ andÂ hadÂ friendly staff, it was quite basic - which I think made the price of the trip seem quite expensive (particularly as Stromboli and Etna incur additional cost).Â I don't think this is particular to just Exodus - other operators price theirÂ equivalent SicilyÂ trips at similar levels.Finally, and I'm not sure if it was because we were at the end of season, but I felt that the service in some of the local restaurants we ate in was below par.Â There's a fine line between being very relaxed and unhurried (local culture), and not looking after your customers properly, and IMO quite a few of the places crossed it.Â The food was generally very good though.
- AnonymousWritten on October 28, 20135.0 - ExcellentA brilliant and memorable trip to spectacular places, with comfortable accommodation, good food and good company. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The summits of the volcanoes. All were awe inspiring but all were different. Vulcano was fascinating with its fumeroles pouring out sulphur dioxide and steam and deposits of hot sulphur crystals. Stromboli by night was quite eerie, especially when the wind blew the smoke and steam towards us and we were enveloped in fog; scree running back down by the light of the moon and head torches was exhilarating. The prize went to Etna standing on the brink of the crater. Even more scary in retrospect when it erupted a week later; the place where we were standing isn't there any more!What did you think of your group leader?Turi was an excellent leader, very knowledgable with loads of local contacts. He was assisted by Eva who was learning and very keen. Both were great fun, particularly when Eva's English went slightly awry!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?A very worthwhile trip. You really do need good boots and a head torch and I found hiking poles very useful. Take some anti-histamine cream, the mosquitos can get busy at night, even when you are in bed.Is there anything else you would like to add?Be sure to take swimming costumes. The apartments on Lipari are close to an excellent swimming beach, and there is good swimming on Vulcano and Stromboli. Personally the mud baths on Vulcano did not appeal but if they take your fancy, make sure you are wearing a swim suit that you would be happy to throw away afterwards as the smell of sulphur tends to persist!
- AnonymousWritten on October 16, 20135.0 - ExcellentAwesome trip - well organised from the first day to the last, so many great memories and a fantastic group of people to spend it with.Sicily is amazing!! What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Reaching the summit of Stromboli just as the sun was setting and then watching the eruptions sat on the edge of the crater was pretty special as was the trek down in the dark lit only by headlamp!Many other great moments too including the fumaroles on Vulcano and the trek up Etna which was tough but we were rewarded with some spectacular views!What did you think of your group leader?Salvatore was a great guide, very knowledgeable about Catania and the islands we visited and everything was done with good humour and a relaxed attitude.Eva who was training with Salvatore was also very knowledgeable and passionate about Sicily and will be a great asset to the team.Between them they made the trip very enjoyable.Â Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Be prepared to have a great time, you won't want to go home!Is there anything else you would like to add?Definitely worth 5 stars. If your thinking of booking this trip you won't be disappointed, a great week you'll never forget.
- AnonymousWritten on October 13, 20135.0 - ExcellentAmazing trip in Sicily treking the volcanos - seeing is believing! Loved every minuteWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Strombolli hike and seeing lava at night was awesome but Etna hike was superb too for different reasons - can't really decide which hike was best.....guess they were both amazing.What did you think of your group leader?Salvatore was great - his knowledge and friendliness throughout was perfect. Eva who accompanied him/us was lovely and knoweldgeable too - would'nt have been the same trip without them. Great tour leadersDo you have any advice for potential travellers?Go with the flow - choppy waters can mean the odd delay or last min rearrangement of hydrofoil crossings but just take that time to go explore. Be prepared to put some effort into the walks and you will be rewarded with amazing sights and Â sense of achievment.Â Is there anything else you would like to add?Seeing is beliving (and smelling) the volcanos! Â
- AnonymousWritten on October 10, 20135.0 - ExcellentAMAZING.....!!! Loved every second of this trip - fantastic group, great walking, specatular volcanoes, brillent guide, lots of laughs. Everything you could possibly want from a holiday.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Was it the lava erruption on Stromboli or was it the mighty etna...? Could have been the fumerolas of Volcan, or it could have been the group, or even our guide(s)No it was all of them and many more.What did you think of your group leader?Salvatorri was fantastic i cannot speak highly enough of him, great guide, great knowledge, humourous, happy and even took us on a walk on his day off. Would recommend him to anyone. I bet there are few better. Top man.Just like to add that Torri had an assistant on this trip, Eva, who was training and she was excellent, really lovely and will be a fantastic addition to the exodus team.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Relax, enjoy, embrace the group, embrace the trip, listen to the guides and take in the marvel of theÂ SICILIAN VOLCANOESÂ It won't ever get much better.Â Is there anything else you would like to add?The only thing i would change is.. 1 night less in Lipari so you get 2 nights on Stromboli.Just need to re-iterate as i cannot speak highly enough of Salvatorri and Eva , our guides. Thank you exodus for providing a truely awesome trip with equally awesome guides. I absolutely LOVE IT...Thank you so much - about to book another one NOW...!!!Â
- AnonymousWritten on October 1, 20135.0 - ExcellentA fantastic week packed full of fun, fabulous food and fantastic scenery!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?For me the most inspirational moment was just as we arrived at the very top of Stromboli. It had been a challenging but rewarding trek up to the top and as we were putting our safetyÂ helmets and extra layers on, the local guide shouted "quick...look...an explosion" and we all caught a glimpse of the most spectacular firework display of lava and ash.What did you think of your group leader?He was absolutely fantastic! Being from a small village near Mount Etna, his local knowledge of food, history, culture and volcanoes was extremely impressive.Â As a leader he was friendly and patient and really looked after us all.Â Do you have any advice for potential travellers?I would advise that the treks up Stromboli and Etna are definitely challenging, i'm not a fan of walking poles myself but most people in the group said they may not have managed without them. It can get very hot too so its really important to drink plenty of water and most of the group found this easy to carry in CamelBak hydration packs.Is there anything else you would like to add?My favourite day was our trip to Vulcano. The walking wasÂ really enjoyable and the views were fantastic. We walked right around the crater rim and through the Fumerals, to be that close to them and smell the Sulphur made you realise just how active Vulcano is!
- AnonymousWritten on September 16, 20135.0 - ExcellentNever having been part of a guided walking holiday but being a very experienced independent walker across the UK and Europe I wasn't sure what to expect. However, from the outset the trip exceeded my expectations with a superb guide and a fantastic group who quicly became friends.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?seeing explosions on Stromboli in the darkfeeling the steam on my legs on Vulcano and seeing and smelling the sulphursensing the power and enormity of EtnaWhat did you think of your group leader?He was superb - he knew his stuff and was passionate about his country. His local knowledge was used to help the group get the best out of the trip by sourcing typical Sicilian cuisine, recommending superb wines, pointing out geological, historical and cultural aspects of the area. He was well-organised and attentive to the group and its dynamics.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?There are some parts of the walking that are challenging but the rewards are even greater. You need to have some fitness and be able to manage your water in-take as well as ensuring that you eat enough to give you the energy for the activities (not really a problem given the locality!).Is there anything else you would like to add?I came away from this holiday feeling greatly enthused and I am sure that it is something to do with Exodus. I would recommend this trip to my walking friends (multi-day back-packers included) and I am now considering which one to do next.The group was fantastic and we are going to keep in touch, exchange photos and may even visit. This was an added bonus!
- AnonymousWritten on August 9, 20135.0 - ExcellentA brilliant trip - one of the best (and believe me, I've done a few)! Really powerful experience of nature at work; extremely memorable and awe-inspiring.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?For me, climbing Etna as we were lucky enough to hit amazing conditions and were confronted with breath-taking views at the summit. Â I think the fact that it was a full day walk in reasonable temperatures with amazing views all the way down as well as at the top really added to the experience. Stromboli was a close run second as there is something very special about peering into the eerie darkness waiting for a glow to potentially change into something else...What did you think of your group leader?Turi is an extremely patient, thoughtful and caring group leader who readily takes into account the needs and abilities of the whole group. He willingly gave up his time to conduct a guided sunset walk on the free day and he was an absolute star at finding very good restaurants and trattorias which woudl cater for 16!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Gaiters are essential on Stromboli and also on Etna - except that I had not had the foresight to predict this - it is definitely worth having them for both walks. I also used walking poles which I found useful on the loose ash, but most did not bother. I also was delighted by the number of opportunities there were to swim. I had taken my swimming poll goggles and was really impressed to see a huge variety of tropical fish in the warm waters.Â Is there anything else you would like to add?Definitely book it! A different sort of and extremely memorable walking holiday.
- AnonymousWritten on July 31, 20133.0 - AverageThis is an exciting holiday that goes to a place many operators don't, that is why i chose it. I feel considering the overall cost, meals should be included every night, like most other operators. This was a trial run for this holiday at this time of year, and guests must be aware of the heat in Sicily. Overall a very good holiday that i would recommend.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Milazzo.
- Day 2: Boat to Vulcano and trek to the crater to see the famous fumaroles; free afternoon for bathing in Vulcano's hot springs, beaches and mud baths.
- Day 3: Walk along Lipari's unspoilt western coast; free time to explore Lipari historic town and the archaeological museum; wine and produce tasting.
- Day 4: Boat to Stomboli; free time to explore the island before a sunset hike to the 'Sciara del Fuoco' (Stream of fire), to witness the volcanic activity.
- Day 5: Free half day in Stromboli to visit the town or relax on the island's black beaches; sunset trek to the summit of Stromboli.
- Day 6: Travel to the town of Taormina for a short optional walk and sightseeing; continue towards Etna’s southern slope.
- Day 7: Walk the southern area of the Mount Etna or take an optional trek to the summit crater (3350m); transfer and overnight in Catania.
- Day 8: End Catania.
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- James12th May 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Select Departure Month
- Upcoming departures
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- SundayAug 26, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundaySep 2, 2018to CataniaOnly 2 seats left$44USD $1,765
- SundaySep 2, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundaySep 9, 2018to CataniaOnly 1 seat left$43USD $1,705
- SundaySep 9, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundaySep 16, 2018to CataniaOnly 1 seat left$50USD $1,985
- SundaySep 16, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundaySep 23, 2018to Catania0 seats left$44USD $1,745Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- SundaySep 23, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundaySep 30, 2018to CataniaOnly 2 seats left$43USD $1,705
- SundayOct 7, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundayOct 14, 2018to Catania0 seats left$40USD $1,595Sold outSee similar tours on this date
- SundayOct 14, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundayOct 21, 2018to Catania8 seats left$39USD $1,545
- SundayOct 21, 2018from Catania8 DaysSundayOct 28, 2018to Catania8 seats left$38USD $1,505
- SundayApr 7, 2019from Catania8 DaysSundayApr 14, 2019to Catania8 seats left$43USD $1,705
- SundayApr 14, 2019from Catania8 DaysSundayApr 21, 2019to Catania8 seats left$43USD $1,705
Show more departures
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
- Start and end in Catania.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 14 October 2018 the full payment of $1,505 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1505 for Sicilian Volcanoes, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 345 km.
- Catania (Italy)
- 81 km
- Milazzo (Italy)
- 36 km
- Lipari (Italy)
- 9 km
- Vulcano (Italy)
- 9 km
- Lipari (Italy)
- 45 km
- Stromboli (Italy)
- 64 km
- Milazzo (Italy)
- 41 km
- Castelmola (Italy)
- 1 km
- Taormina (Italy)
- 29 km
- Parco dell'Etna (Italy)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,505 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 8,987 tours in Europe
- covered by 253 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 20,590 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Europe tours