Cycle Southern Iceland
- Visit the Skogafoss Waterfall
- Stay overnight in a mountain hut
- Discover the famous Thingvellir
- Wander the streets of Reykjavik
- Age range
- 16 to 80 year olds
- Max Group Size
3 ReviewsWrite a review
- AnonymousWritten on August 27, 20135.0 - ExcellentThis was a brilliant holiday. you see the key sites in Iceland combined with great cycling on nice bikes. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The vast waterfalls, the geysers, the trip out to the mountain lodge. but the most inspirational moment was watching the puffins on the edge of a black cliff swooping down to the sea where the waves crashed onto a black sand beach. It was like being on the edge of the worldWhat did you think of your group leader?Kristian was an exceptional tour leader. He was knowledgeable entertaining and fun as well as being extremely organised and prepares a great barbecueDo you have any advice for potential travellers?Buy waterproof socks! It will rain on you in Iceland and these really workIs there anything else you would like to add?Do this trip!
- AnonymousWritten on August 20, 20134.0 - GoodStunning scenery, challenging weather, friendly Icelanders.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?The scenery is truly pre-historic. No wonder NASA trained for the moon landing there.The hot springs at Eldja.Â What did you think of your group leader?Kjartan and Mel were fantastic. This was their first cycling tour as they were stepping in for the usual guide and they did a brilliant job. Oscar the driver is a real character. They made a great team. They are great ambassadors for Iceland. We had very mixed weather but they kept us smiling during the rain and wind.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Icelandic weather is very changeable even in summer. We had 50/50 wet and dry days so make sure your water proofs are good! It can get cold too, especially with the wind. So extra layers are essential. For those who usually do the single supplement. Most of the accommodation is shared bathrooms and showers.On the last day there was one toilet/shower per floor.Is there anything else you would like to add?We were very lucky with the group and guides. Iceland's weather gods had some fun! A great country to visit.Unfortunately Exodus changed the accommodation for our return to Reykjavik. The hostel was pretty poor and certainly not up to Exodus usual standards. We were given taxis vouchers as the hostel was a 20minute ride away but it was a real let down. I felt really sorry for our guides as they could see our disappointment.Â
- AnonymousWritten on October 6, 20125.0 - ExcellentThis was a fantastic week full of fantastic landscapes; which highlighted a wonderful way to experience Iceland. Our tour leader was fantastic, very aware of the group capabilities and adjusting our adventure as needed if needed.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Riding out to the hut off road in the highlands. Â It was something I'll never forget!What did you think of your group leader?Kristjan was an excellent leader who took great care of the entire group. Â He made sure everyone was safe and cared for. Â He also cooks a mean barbeque!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?The wind can be a killer, even though it's not terribly hilly the wind can be a challenge at times. Â But it's worth it to push through it and keep on going.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Reykjavik.
- Day 2: Drive from Reykjavik to Krisuvik hot springs, ride the south coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula to Selfoss.
- Day 3: Drive to Seljalandsfoss Waterfall at the foothills of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano. Ride to Skogafoss Waterfall and on Solheimajokull Glacier; overnight at farmhouse.
- Day 4: Ride along south coast to Vik past sandy plains of glacial silt, to the Skafta glacial river; transfer to Fjallabak area and mountain hut.
- Day 5: Transfer to Eldgja through the spectacular Fjallabak region; ride down the Thjorsardalur valley, stopping en route at traditional 'sod' farmhouse.
- Day 6: Ride through farmland up to Gullfoss waterfall and on to Geysir and Laugarvatn.
- Day 7: Drive to Thingvellir N.P.; ride western side of Lake Thingvellir, across Mt Hengill and down to Reykjavik, stopping to visit thermal pools on the way.
- Day 8: End Reykjavik.
- Cycle Southern Iceland
- Exodus People - Kristjan's Story
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Western Europe Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
How many kilometres of cycling does the tour have? Is it for beginners or intermediate?
The trip is for intermediate. Here's the Cycling profile:
Daily distance in km/miles:
Number of days cycling: 6
Pace: Approximately 4-6 hours cycling per day
Terrain: Low altitude; 90% tarmac, 10% easy gravel
Is there a fitness level requirement for this trip?
You must be moderately fit and have an interest in remote or challenging environments. Some previous experience is required for activity based trips.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- James12th May 2018
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Start and end in Reykjavik.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 23 November 2018 the full payment of $0 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $0 for Cycle Southern Iceland, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Reykjavik (Iceland)
- 49 km
- Selfoss (Iceland)
- 61 km
- Seljalandsfoss (Iceland)
- 26 km
- Skogafoss (Iceland)
- 8 km
- Solheimajokull (Iceland)
- 22 km
- Vik (Iceland)
- 64 km
- Eldgjá (Iceland)
- 83 km
- Gullfoss Waterfall (Iceland)
- 13 km
- Geysir (Iceland)
- 19 km
- Laugarvatn (Iceland)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $0 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,827 tours in Europe
- covered by 253 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 22,220 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Europe tours