Cross-country Skiing: Kvitavatn
Save up to 75% across the globe
ends on 26 Sep 2018
- Our saving
- US $ 1,512
24/7 Customer SupportAsk a question
- Enjoy cross-country skiing at its best
- Explore the summit of Ornenipa
- Discover the rugged mountains and dense forest
- Fall in love with the beautiful Norwegian winter landscape
49 ReviewsWrite a review
- AnonymousWritten on March 20, 20135.0 - ExcellentAn entertaining, inspirational and challenging week in beautiful wilderness.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Standing in a deserted stretch of ski track with nobody else around, the wind was howling, the sky was blue and I was panting. I felt alive!What did you think of your group leader?Both group leaders, Mary and Ilse, were patient and knew exactly when to push us and when to hold back, providing just the right levels of instruction.Â Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Bring a flask so you can have a hot drink at lunchtime. Haribo were a welcome treat too. Have a crack at it. Cross-country skiing is not scary or impossible. It's surprisingly easy to pick up after day one. Don't get frustrated, just try to smile and laugh at yourself.Is there anything else you would like to add?Every once in a while it's good to challenge yourself, do something different and learn a new skill. If you feel like you're stuck in a rut, sign up for this trip and shake things up. You'll come home feeling a whole lot better, your lungs will feel bigger and you'll have a glow in your rosy cheeks.
- AnonymousWritten on March 18, 20134.0 - GoodKvitavatn is an excellent centre for all levels of snow sports. You are well looked affer, meals are excellent and well organised with helpful staff and a good standard of accomodation. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?In a week where the off track snow was so unpredictable and difficult I would offer the day the group did the Blue 23 trip. The weather was brilliant. It was an area new to me and provided new views and vistas. Â What did you think of your group leader?We had two leaders, Ilse and Mary who swapped about the groups. They were excellent. They instructed, lead the groups and maintained our spirits. They laid on films, lectures and quizs in the evening based on a theme of skiing.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?The bus takes 3+ hours from the airport to Kvitavatn. You may wish to have a snack to hand to tide you over until dinner on arrival. The ski hire is excellent and not expensive. It saves hassle on aeroplanes and at airports. Â Is there anything else you would like to add?Kvitavatn has a considerable variety of terrain so you are not going to get bored and caters for all levels of skiing. And all this with the comfort of a fixed centre.Â
- AnonymousWritten on March 18, 20133.0 - Averagegood venue, good food, good instructors, but pace a bit too quick for an absolute beginner recovering from the flu!What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?being able to cross frozen lakes and get a whole new perspective on the fantasticÂ sceneryWhat did you think of your group leader?Both very good and worked hard to make the evenings interesting, as well as their work during the dayDo you have any advice for potential travellers?do some upper body strengthening exercises - it will make getting back on the feet (frequently required) much easierIs there anything else you would like to add?glad I tried the skiing but think I'll stick to snowshoes in the future
- AnonymousWritten on March 18, 20135.0 - ExcellentGreat place to experience track and off track cross country skiing, the instructors are excellent very patient and professional, the accommodation is very good (twin bedded rooms with supplement) and the food in the restaurant excellent.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Skiing across frozen lakes.What did you think of your group leader?Very kind, professional, patient and committed to helping you improve your cross countryÂ skiing ability.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Buy a couple of bottles of wine at Heathrow duty free.
- AnonymousWritten on March 5, 20135.0 - ExcellentA brilliant week, exceptional leaders, fabulous tuition and an all round great place to be.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Sunshine and diamond dust air with mountains as far as the eye can see - magicalWhat did you think of your group leader?Ilse & Mary are inspirational, know how to get the best out of people whilst having a laugh.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Go
- AnonymousWritten on February 28, 20135.0 - ExcellentxWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?xWhat did you think of your group leader?excellentDo you have any advice for potential travellers?go for it
- AnonymousWritten on February 18, 20135.0 - ExcellentJust back from a fantastic trip. I'd not been cross country skiing before and found the variety of this trip exceeded my expectations. Although the accommodation is described as basic as it is a youth hostel, it was very comfortable, warm and clean. The food was consistently excellent and plentiful with a hot 3 course dinnner every evening, being just what was needed after a day out in the cold. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?For a first timer zooming along the tracks, just trusting the ski's to do the work was amazing.Also climbing high up onto the hillside to look across at Gausta without too much effort was surprising. The scenery from up there was spectacular and the sense of achievement having got to the top and back down again safely will stay with me for some time.What did you think of your group leader?The leaders were outstanding! Ilse knew exactly how to approach each individual to encourage and motivate them. If she said we could ski down a slope then we knew we could trust her judgement as toÂ our level and ability and each time she was right. Also she made the warm up sessionsÂ fun and a great way to start the day,Â and the stretching at the end ofÂ the day was a welcome release of the tension from our aching muscles.The talks and videos in the eveningÂ were informative and helpful particularly to a first timer.Ilse and Mary took literally hundreds of photos during the week which meant I actually have pictures of myself rather than just scenery! Also I didn't need to worry about dropping or losing my camera as they took better shots than I could. Unfortunately my friends particularly love the photos of me face down in the snow!Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Just try it!Â It was a laugh a minute andÂ I can't imagine getting such variety with better tuition and guidance anywhere else.Is there anything else you would like to add?We were aÂ group of 13 withÂ 2 leaders which meant we were split intoÂ groups ofÂ 7 and 6 which was fine.Â Any more couldÂ have meantÂ more waiting around and difficulty keeping close but not too close.Â
- AnonymousWritten on January 20, 20134.0 - GoodThis was a really enjoyable holiday for the thrill of learning to ski, the people, the scenery and the food. What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?I think the most inspirational moment was the first day that our group went off- piste on the mountain away from the resort. Making freshÂ tracks down the slopes brought back the same feeling you had as aÂ kid braced to slideÂ down aÂ hill that no one has sledged down before.What did you think of your group leader?Both leaders were excellent.Â IÂ appreciatedÂ the fact that both Ilse and Chris keptÂ everyone in the group involved, with both encouragement and words of advice.Â TheÂ beginners lessons were also structured well so thatÂ the learning bits were interspersed with having fun on the tracks so that you never felt too bogged down thinking about your technique.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?You don't need to take much local currency, unless you're planning to spend a day in the local town. Enough for a few drinks in the evening and some gifts.Is there anything else you would like to add?Falling over in public places will hold you in good steadÂ for aÂ cross country skiing holiday
- AnonymousWritten on January 9, 20134.0 - GoodThe balance was just right between active days that always encouraged you to push your skills a bit further and very comfortable and sociable eveningsWhat was the most inspirational moment of your trip?Climbing the mountain on skisWhat did you think of your group leader?Very fine leaders each with a different range of skills. I learned a lotDo you have any advice for potential travellers?The leaders know there stuff. If you listen to them and take their advice you will find that you have improved in leaps and bounds over the weekIs there anything else you would like to add?That was my second trip. This year I am going to Msstrod but still with Exodus.
- AnonymousWritten on January 7, 20135.0 - ExcellentAn exceptional trip with inspirational instruction....even for a rank beginner with no skiing experience at all.What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?I had several inspirational moments.Â The first was the moment when I first managed to stay upright on skis on the first day, the second was skiing out over Kvitavatn lake, then in turn the moment when I managed to herring bone uphill successfully, to snowplough downhill under control, telemarks to provide better stability, and the first run without an instructor around the ski tracks.Â Skiing in a force 9 gale was pretty exhiliarating too!What did you think of your group leader?Ilse was amazing.Â She is hugely talented, incredibly patient and knows exactly when a word of praise or a word of criticism will be most appropriate.Â Several times when I was struggling with something she would pay me a compliment that lifted my mood entirely, equally she never let go something that I was doing badly (pole position for general propulsion mostly!) if she thought I could improve it.Â Full of energy and enthusiasm, she was inspirational.Chris was also great - very different in style, he would talk us through an ascent/descent then leave us to make some decisions about how to approach the obstacle so that we had to think independently about what we were doing.Â He was never too far away to come back and rescue me from various trees, snow drifts and ski contortions when I managed to hit them but it gave a real sense of achievement when something went well...because you'd done it right.Â He picked me up out of more piles of snow than anyone should have to do, but always with a smile.Â He was also great when I gave myself a minor injury on the final day, and got me back to the lodge not only in one piece, but cheerful and with a sense of achievement.At the end of the week we were presented with a disc of photos taken for us where quite a few of us were not taking many through a) fear of crushing the camera b) concentration on skiing or c) being in a snow drift, so we have a great record of the week. I cannot rate the leaders highly enough at Kvitavatn and I can't wait to book again for the coming season.Do you have any advice for potential travellers?Cross country skiing makes everything hot - don't dress for downhill or you'll bake.Â Light layers are a must.Â Do take a flask, mittens are a winner and most of all definitely take gaiters and waterproofs if you are a beginner. You will fall over......maybe not as much as me, but you will fall, and staying dry is the key to enjoying your trip.Â Take the smallest day pack you can manage (flask, lunch, layer, camera - you don't need much else) to keep your balance under control.Â I also took my yak tracks (for gripping ice when walking around) which I found really useful when it got slippery around the Fjellstoge towards the end of the week.Â Not falling down off skis was a desirable state of affairs given the opportunities for falling over on skis!Inevitably snow conditions vary (we had a couple of warm and therefore very slippery days) and this can beÂ a bit frustrating, but the leaders are very good at picking out the best possible activities for the conditions.Â You'll get a lot out of the trip.Is there anything else you would like to add?The Fjellstoge is clean, comfortable and has a sauna, mini cinema with some DVDs, open fire, and fantastic food twice a day (make a lunch up from breakfast).Â Showers are communal (not a problem, but be prepared!).Â A particularly great feature of this trip is that the area has a set of lit tracks so you can ski independently in the evenings and the opportunities for skiing off track with the group are great.Â At oneÂ point we were skiingÂ around hills aobut 3/4 of the way up their height, crossing over downhill runs, and lookingÂ down over valleys and lakes.Â It has all the best of hiking, but with snow and skis thrown in.Â Those looking for aÂ busy night life will be disappointed, butÂ if you want a bit of peace and quiet with some exceptional teaching, and to make quick progress to being able to ski Â away from tracks etc, this is the trip for you.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Start Kvitavatn. Evening briefing with the group before dinner.
- Day 2: Start of six days of cross-country skiing
- Day 3: Cross-country skiing around Kvitiavatn
- Day 4: Venturing further afield
- Day 5: Free day
- Day 6: Full day out enjoying the Norwegian wilderness
- Day 7: Final day on our skis
- Day 8: End Kvitavatn
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Gregory6th September 2018
NO CREDIT CARD FEES
Cross-country Skiing: Kvitavatn
STARTENDSEATS LEFTSAVE NOW PRICE
- ThursdayDec 27, 2018from Oslo8 DaysThursdayJan 3, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$169$1,825-9%USD $1,656
- SaturdayJan 19, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSaturdayJan 26, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$163$1,675-10%USD $1,512
- SundayFeb 3, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayFeb 10, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$164$1,705-10%USD $1,541
- SundayFeb 10, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayFeb 17, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$173$1,935-9%USD $1,762
- SundayFeb 17, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayFeb 24, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$173$1,935-9%USD $1,762
- SundayFeb 24, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayMar 3, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$173$1,935-9%USD $1,762
- SundayMar 3, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayMar 10, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$167$1,785-9%USD $1,618
- SundayMar 10, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayMar 17, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$164$1,705-10%USD $1,541
- SundayMar 17, 2019from Oslo8 DaysSundayMar 24, 2019to Oslo8 seats left$164$1,705-10%USD $1,541
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Useful things to know before you go
Plugs & Adapters
Here is an indication for which countries you might need a visa. Please contact the local embassy for help applying for visas to these places.
These are only indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel to be 100% sure.
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Recommended for Norway. Ideally 6 months before travel.
- Start and end in Oslo.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Exodus Travels to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Exodus Travels booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 19 November 2018 the full payment of $1,512 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1512 for Cross-country Skiing: Kvitavatn, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Exodus Travels tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
Covering a total distance of approx 225 km.
- Oslo (Norway)
- 112 km
- Kvitavatn (Norway)
- 112 km
- Oslo (Norway)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,512 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 9,810 tours in Europe
- covered by 255 different operators in Europe
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date.
- 21,997 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Europe tours