Backroads of Japan
- Our saving
- US $ 4,646
- Visit the famous Tsukiji market
- Discover Kyoto, Japan's cultural heart
- Explore Buddhist temples
- Enjoy views of the 5 Lakes and Mount Fuji
- Wander through the Gion Geisha District
- Age range
- 18 to 80 year olds
- Hotel, Guesthouse
- Train & Rail, Local Transport
- Travel style
- In-depth Cultural, Adventure
- Rather Poor
- EAEmilyWritten on February 1, 20173.0 - Average
My husband and I went on the World Expiditions Back Roads of Japan Tour last year, and were extremely disappointed in the quality of guide provided. The guide had never done the tour, had never even been to half the places on the itinerary and was a... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Emily, We are sorry that you were not satisfied by our detailed response to you and gesture of goodwill. The Backroads of Japan trip has been very popular with our clients over the past 15 years or so that we have operated the trip. As you have been advised we are no longer working with this guide and have put in place procedures to ensure this situation never happens again. Thank you for your feedback and we sincerely apologise once again. The Asia ops Team
- TonyWritten on February 1, 20172.0 - Rather poor
This was our first trip with World Expeditions and also our first trip to Japan. We were very surprised that upon our arrival our (non Japanese) guide announced that he had not done this trip before - or ever lead a group of this size (12)! Although we... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Tony, We can assure you that your feedback was treated with the utmost concern as evidenced in our lengthy response to you and our gesture of goodwill which you accepted. We have successfully operated the Backroads of Japan trip for more than 15 years and it was of great concern to us that your guide was not suitable. Once again we sincerely apologise for the affect the guide had on your experience in Japan. The Asia Ops team
- LYLoretaWritten on November 23, 20163.0 - Average
I would call it is an experience holiday. The World expedition brochure did not indicate the length of journey we had to walk each day. it's some how lead us to believe that it's only a half day walk as indicated in the brochure. In fact it took up most of... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewThank you Loreta for providing your valuable feedback. Our trip notes offer information regarding the hours you will likely be walking but not the kms because in mountain environments the time it takes is usually a better guide than the distance. The Backroads of Japan trip has been operated by us for more than 15 years and people aged from 14 to 84 have experienced the diversity of this walking journey in Japan. So whilst we agree that providing more details on the distances walked is a reasonable suggestion, we don't agree that the age limit should be restricted to 50. We hope you will join us for another experience holiday. All the best from the Asia Ops Team
- AnonymousWritten on December 20, 20115.0 - Excellent
Overall one of the best holidays we have had! the accommodation and food was excellent
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive Tokyo
- Day 2: Explore Tokyo, travel to Mt Fuji
- Day 3: Mt Fuji
- Day 4: Travel to Kiso Valley
- Day 5: Old Nakasendo Highway, Bullet train to Kyoto
- Day 6: Visiting Kyoto’s Temples
- Day 7: Climb Daimonji Yama (Mt Daimonji)
- Day 8: In Kyoto free exploration
- Day 9: Hike and train to Asuka
- Day 10: Hike to Yoshino
- Day 11: Hike and bus to Dorogawa
- Day 12: Hike around Dorogawa
- Day 13: Mitarai Gorge, Travel to Osaka
- Day 14: In Osaka
- Day 15: In Osaka, trip concludes
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Rather poor by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
- National Geographic Channel discovers Kyoto and Izu with World Expeditions
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Do you offer gluten free food?
Yes, you will be able to eat a gluten free diet on this trip.
What is the group size of this tour?
The maximum group size on this trip is 16 – an ideal size to ensure an optional impact in the destinations you visit.
Can you describe this trip?
Our Backroads trip is a fantastic choice, as it takes in the "must sees" of Tokyo, Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Osaka, whilst also getting off the standard tourist trail to some remote villages. Along the journey we will stay in a mixture of hotels, and traditional ryokans – giving you a true feel for the country.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Nathalie, 20 years old19th October 2018
Backroads of Japan
- Upcoming departures
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- November 2019
- March 2020
- April 2020
- May 2020
- September 2020
- October 2020
- November 2020
- SundayMar 10, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayMar 24, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayMar 24, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayApr 7, 2019to Osaka0 seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin ShareSold outSee similar tours on this date
- SundayApr 7, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayApr 21, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$149USD $4,811Based on Twin Share
- SundayApr 14, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayApr 28, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$149USD $4,811Based on Twin Share
- SundayMay 19, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayJun 2, 2019to Osaka6 seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayJun 2, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayJun 16, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- ThursdaySep 5, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysThursdaySep 19, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundaySep 29, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayOct 13, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayOct 6, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayOct 20, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayOct 20, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayNov 3, 2019to Osaka10+ seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tokyo is the starting point and Osaka is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $500 to confirm this World Expeditions booking. The remaining balance is then payable 70 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 26 January 2019 the full payment of $4,646 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $4646 for Backroads of Japan, but the deposit of $500 is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and World Expeditions will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for World Expeditions tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Tokyo (Japan)
- 91 km
- Kawaguchiko (Japan)
- 278 km
- Kyoto (Japan)
- 36 km
- Nara (Japan)
- 25 km
- Asuka (Japan)
- 12 km
- Yoshino (Japan)
- 50 km
- Osaka (Japan)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $4,646 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 6,400 tours in Asia
- covered by 341 different operators in Asia
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Backroads of Japan via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Backroads of Japan