Backroads of Japan
- Our saving
- US $ 4,772
- Visit the famous Tsukiji market
- Discover Kyoto, Japan's cultural heart
- Explore Buddhist temples
- Enjoy views of the 5 Lakes and Mount Fuji
- Wander through the Gion Geisha District
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive Tokyo
- Day 2: Explore Tokyo, travel to Fuji Five Lakes
- Day 3: Hiking around Mt Fuji
- Day 4: Travel to Kiso Valley
- Day 5: Old Nakasendo Highway, bullet train to Kyoto
- Day 6: Visiting Kyoto’s Temples
- Day 7: Climb Mount Daimonji
- Day 8: In Kyoto free exploration
- Day 9: Hike & Train to Asuka
- Day 10: Hike to Yoshino
- Day 11: Hike & Bus to Dorogawa
- Day 12: Hiking around Dorogawa
- Day 13: Mitarai Gorge, travel to Osaka
- Day 14: In Osaka
- Day 15: In Osaka, trip concludes
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
GuideRated Rather poor by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
- Rather Poor
- EAEmilyWritten on February 1, 20173.0 - Average
My husband and I went on the World Expiditions Back Roads of Japan Tour last year, and were extremely disappointed in the quality of guide provided. The guide had never done the tour, had never even been to half the places on the itinerary and was a... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Emily, We are sorry that you were not satisfied by our detailed response to you and gesture of goodwill. The Backroads of Japan trip has been very popular with our clients over the past 15 years or so that we have operated the trip. As you have been advised we are no longer working with this guide and have put in place procedures to ensure this situation never happens again. Thank you for your feedback and we sincerely apologise once again. The Asia ops Team
- TonyWritten on February 1, 20172.0 - Rather poor
This was our first trip with World Expeditions and also our first trip to Japan. We were very surprised that upon our arrival our (non Japanese) guide announced that he had not done this trip before - or ever lead a group of this size (12)! Although we... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Tony, We can assure you that your feedback was treated with the utmost concern as evidenced in our lengthy response to you and our gesture of goodwill which you accepted. We have successfully operated the Backroads of Japan trip for more than 15 years and it was of great concern to us that your guide was not suitable. Once again we sincerely apologise for the affect the guide had on your experience in Japan. The Asia Ops team
- LYLoretaWritten on November 23, 20163.0 - Average
I would call it is an experience holiday. The World expedition brochure did not indicate the length of journey we had to walk each day. it's some how lead us to believe that it's only a half day walk as indicated in the brochure. In fact it took up most of... Read moreShow detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewThank you Loreta for providing your valuable feedback. Our trip notes offer information regarding the hours you will likely be walking but not the kms because in mountain environments the time it takes is usually a better guide than the distance. The Backroads of Japan trip has been operated by us for more than 15 years and people aged from 14 to 84 have experienced the diversity of this walking journey in Japan. So whilst we agree that providing more details on the distances walked is a reasonable suggestion, we don't agree that the age limit should be restricted to 50. We hope you will join us for another experience holiday. All the best from the Asia Ops Team
- WEWorld ExpeditionsWritten on December 20, 20115.0 - Excellent
Overall one of the best holidays we have had! the accommodation and food was excellentReview collected by World Expeditions
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Do you offer gluten free food?
Yes, you will be able to eat a gluten free diet on this trip.
What is the group size of this tour?
The maximum group size on this trip is 16 – an ideal size to ensure an optional impact in the destinations you visit.
Can you describe this trip?
Our Backroads trip is a fantastic choice, as it takes in the "must sees" of Tokyo, Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Osaka, whilst also getting off the standard tourist trail to some remote villages. Along the journey we will stay in a mixture of hotels, and traditional ryokans – giving you a true feel for the country.
- National Geographic Channel discovers Kyoto and Izu with World Expeditions
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Chelsea20th February 2019
Backroads of Japan
- Upcoming departures
- October 2019
- November 2019
- March 2020
- April 2020
- May 2020
- September 2020
- October 2020
- November 2020
- SundayOct 20, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayNov 3, 2019to Osaka0 seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayNov 3, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayNov 17, 2019to Osaka0 seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayNov 10, 2019from Tokyo15 DaysSundayNov 24, 2019to Osaka0 seats left$144USD $4,646Based on Twin Share
- SundayMar 8, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayMar 22, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$154USD $4,966Based on Twin Share
- SundayMar 22, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayApr 5, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$154USD $4,966Based on Twin Share
- SundayApr 5, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayApr 19, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$154USD $4,966Based on Twin Share
- SundayApr 19, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayMay 3, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$154USD $4,966Based on Twin Share
- SundayMay 17, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayMay 31, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$148USD $4,772Based on Twin Share
- SundayMay 31, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundayJun 14, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$148USD $4,772Based on Twin Share
- SundaySep 13, 2020from Tokyo15 DaysSundaySep 27, 2020to Osaka10+ seats left$148USD $4,772Based on Twin Share
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tokyo is the starting point and Osaka is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- For any tour departing before 24 December 2019 a full payment is necessary. For tours departing after 24 December 2019, a minimum payment of $500 is required to confirm your booking with World Expeditions. The final payment will be automatically charged to your credit card on the designated due date. The final payment of the remaining balance is required at least 70 days days prior to the departure date of your tour. TourRadar never charges you a booking fee and will charge you in the stated currency.
- Cancellation policy
- TourRadar is an authorised Agent of World Expeditions. Please familiarise yourself with the World Expeditions payment, cancellation and refund conditions.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and World Expeditions will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Payment methods
- The following cards are accepted for World Expeditions tours: Visa, Maestro, Mastercard, American Express or PayPal. TourRadar does NOT charge you an extra fee for using any of these payment methods.
- Tokyo (Japan)
- 115 km
- Fuji (Japan)
- 108 km
- Tsumago (Japan)
- 32 km
- Kiso (Japan)
- 38 km
- Magome (Japan)
- 173 km
- Kyoto (Japan)
- 62 km
- Asuka (Japan)
- 12 km
- Yoshino (Japan)
- 50 km
- Osaka (Japan)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $4,772 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 13,071 tours in Asia
- covered by 878 different operators in Asia
- Use Discounts and Credits*
- Past passenger discounts or credits, early-bird savings, child discounts, and multi-person discounts offered by the tour operator may be applicable when you book with TourRadar. *Discounts and credits are subject to the tour operator terms and conditions.
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Backroads of Japan