Backroads of Japan
- Our saving
- US $ 4,183
- Visit the famous Tsukiji market
- Hike up the epic Mt. Fuji
- Discover Kyoto, Japan's cultural heart
- Explore Buddhist temples
- Age range
- 8 to 99 year olds
- Hotel, Guesthouse
- Train & Rail, Local Transport
- Rather Poor
- EAEmilyWritten on February 1, 20173.0 - AverageMy husband and I went on the World Expiditions Back Roads of Japan Tour last year, and were extremely disappointed in the quality of guide provided. The guide had never done the tour, had never even been to half the places on the itinerary and was a complete loose cannon, on two occasions taking elicit drugs and drinking to the point of being unable to function. When the entire tour group sent complaints following the completion of the tour, World Expeditions were elusive and largely uncommunicative, and offered us all an insulting refund of about 12% of our tour cost. Needless to say, we will not be taking or recommending World Expeditions tours in the future.Show detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Emily, We are sorry that you were not satisfied by our detailed response to you and gesture of goodwill. The Backroads of Japan trip has been very popular with our clients over the past 15 years or so that we have operated the trip. As you have been advised we are no longer working with this guide and have put in place procedures to ensure this situation never happens again. Thank you for your feedback and we sincerely apologise once again. The Asia ops Team
- TonyWritten on February 1, 20172.0 - Rather poorThis was our first trip with World Expeditions and also our first trip to Japan. We were very surprised that upon our arrival our (non Japanese) guide announced that he had not done this trip before - or ever lead a group of this size (12)! Although we were a seasoned group of travelers, most had never been to Japan. General disappointment with our guide was evident but we decided to push on. Most places we stayed were great and we really loved the Japanese culture and people we experienced. It would have been an incredible trip if we had a local guide that knew the culture and history. Our guide not only had different trip notes to us, but he had to use google to find his way around and answer most of our questions. His interest in the local Yakuza (Mafia) was outstanding, as were his drug addiction which became apparent much later in the tour. If it were not for the experience of our group, disaster & mishap could have occurred on several occasions. Upon our return we complained to World Expeditions in detail, but it seemed of little concern to them. We were given a 12% refund and told that the guide had been sacked. We will definitely return to Japan, but unfortunately would not recommend World Expeditions to anyone. We will certainly never travel with them again!Show detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewDear Tony, We can assure you that your feedback was treated with the utmost concern as evidenced in our lengthy response to you and our gesture of goodwill which you accepted. We have successfully operated the Backroads of Japan trip for more than 15 years and it was of great concern to us that your guide was not suitable. Once again we sincerely apologise for the affect the guide had on your experience in Japan. The Asia Ops team
- LYLoretaWritten on November 23, 20163.0 - AverageI would call it is an experience holiday. The World expedition brochure did not indicate the length of journey we had to walk each day. it's some how lead us to believe that it's only a half day walk as indicated in the brochure. In fact it took up most of the time in the day well pass lunch to 2-3 pm in the afternoon.In actual fact, the walk ranging from 10-18 km per day. It's very physical taxiing. May be the age group should be reduced from 70 years to 50 years for the tour.Show detailed ratingsWorld Expeditions commented on this reviewThank you Loreta for providing your valuable feedback. Our trip notes offer information regarding the hours you will likely be walking but not the kms because in mountain environments the time it takes is usually a better guide than the distance. The Backroads of Japan trip has been operated by us for more than 15 years and people aged from 14 to 84 have experienced the diversity of this walking journey in Japan. So whilst we agree that providing more details on the distances walked is a reasonable suggestion, we don't agree that the age limit should be restricted to 50. We hope you will join us for another experience holiday. All the best from the Asia Ops Team
- AnonymousWritten on December 20, 20115.0 - ExcellentOverall one of the best holidays we have had! the accommodation and food was excellent
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Arrive Tokyo
- Day 2: Explore Tokyo, travel to Mt Fuji
- Day 3: Mt Fuji
- Day 4: Travel to Kiso Valley
- Day 5: Old Nakasendo Highway, Bullet train to Kyoto
- Day 6: Visiting Kyoto’s Temples
- Day 7: Climb Daimonji Yama (Mt Daimonji)
- Day 8: In Kyoto free exploration
- Day 9: Hike and train to Asuka
- Day 10: Hike to Yoshino
- Day 11: Hike and bus to Dorogawa
- Day 12: Hike around Dorogawa
- Day 13: Mitarai Gorge, Travel to Osaka
- Day 14: In Osaka
- Day 15: In Osaka, trip concludes
AccommodationRated Average by past passengers
- National Geographic Channel discovers Kyoto and Izu with World Expeditions
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 1, 2017
Do you offer gluten free food?
Yes, you will be able to eat a gluten free diet on this trip.
- October 1, 2016
What is the maximum number of people on this trip?
The maximum group size on this trip is 16 which is an ideal size to ensure minimum impact travel to the areas in which they operate.
- August 1, 2016
What is the group size of this tour?
The maximum group size on this trip is 16 – an ideal size to ensure an optional impact in the destinations you visit.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Andrew, 27 years old2nd May 2017
Backroads of Japan
- SundayNov 5, 2017from TokyoSundayNov 19, 2017in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundayNov 12, 2017from TokyoSundayNov 26, 2017in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundayMar 11, 2018from TokyoSundayMar 25, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundayMar 25, 2018from TokyoSundayApr 8, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- FridayMay 11, 2018from TokyoFridayMay 25, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- MondayJun 4, 2018from TokyoMondayJun 18, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundaySep 16, 2018from TokyoSundaySep 30, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundaySep 30, 2018from TokyoSundayOct 14, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundayNov 4, 2018from TokyoSundayNov 18, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
- SundayNov 11, 2018from TokyoSundayNov 25, 2018in OsakaOur saving$107PriceUSD $4,183Based on Twin Share6 spaces left
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tokyo is the starting point and Osaka is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $500 to confirm this World Expeditions booking. The remaining balance is then payable 70 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 1 January 2018 the full payment of $4,183 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $4183 for Backroads of Japan, but the deposit of $500 is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and World Expeditions will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for World Expeditions tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Tokyo (Japan)
- 91 km
- Kawaguchiko (Japan)
- 278 km
- Kyoto (Japan)
- 36 km
- Nara (Japan)
- 25 km
- Asuka (Japan)
- 12 km
- Yoshino (Japan)
- 50 km
- Osaka (Japan)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $4,183 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 3,845 tours in Asia
- covered by 136 different operators in Asia
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Backroads of Japan via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 23,365 travellers have already met
before they left for their Asia tour
Download TourRadar Meet App
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Backroads of Japan