Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic
- Our saving
- US $ 1,951
- Dig your own hot pool on a stunning beach
- Camp out by beaches and by lakes
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Cycle sections of the NZL cycle trail
- Age range
- 18 to 65 year olds
- Hostel, Camping, Berth / Cabin
- Max Group Size
- Coach / Bus, Ferry
- Travel style
- Adventure, Bicycle, Hiking & Trekking
- Rather Poor
- IwonaWritten on April 22, 20184.5 - ExcellentThe weather made that many points from the program were not done/seen. That's the real pity. I would be advise to share 1 week before the trip the weather conditions so accordingly people could adjust if they go or not. Also to inform about the clothes to be taken accordingly. Most of the group had not warm enough clothes..Show detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewHI Iwona, I am sorry to hear you didnt get great weather but thanks for the feedback and we will pass this through to our team. Its always changeable in nz but we work around this as best we can.
- KHKaraWritten on April 15, 20184.5 - ExcellentFabulous adventure camping tour covering a broad range of nature, hiking , adventure experiences. The guides were so fun and accomodating, knowledgeable and well Organized. The group a fun mix of people from all over the world. At 60, I had no problems fitting in and having a fab time tailored to my fitness level and interests. There were opportunities along the way to upgrade to cabins when I needed a break from the tent. The food was amazing. The nature jaw dropping day after dayShow detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewSo pleased you had a great tour Kara and thanks for your feedback
- THTingWritten on January 28, 20184.5 - ExcellentI had such a good time on my Grand Traverse tour with Robbi-John and Bente that I extended my trip with Flying Kiwi to stay on with the group! It was the best decision. If I were to do it all over again, I would book the Ultimate Explorer to get the full tour. There were a number of tour groups that we came across and they didn't have the chemistry/fun we've had as a group. I'm really glad that I signed up with Flying Kiwi and got Robbi-John and Bente. I definitely recommend Flying Kiwi and HIGHLY RECOMMEND Robbi-John and Bente.Show detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks for the kind words Ting and we will pass your comment on to the guides :)
- CristinaWritten on December 4, 20175.0 - ExcellentI really enjoyed the experience of spending so much time outdoors. This was my first time really hiking, and thanks to the Tongariro and Routeburn tracks, I have a new found love! The Flying Kiwi team does an exceptional job at enhancing each individuals experience. You can tell that they really care and love their job. My trip throughout New Zealand wouldn’t be nearly what it was had it not been for Tom and Shan. Endless thanks to them!Show detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks so much for the kind words Cristina and so pleased you had a great trip. :)
- PamelaWritten on March 29, 20174.5 - ExcellentThe camping equipment, food and knowledge of places was A1. Bus wasn't comfortable on the longer legs of travel. The guides wer great listeners and tailored advice to the interests of a wide range of travellers. Excellent value for money. To cater for a wide range of ages and interests the pace was generally hectic apart from travelling hours on the bus. It was a great opportunity to meet a wide range of nationalities and personalities.Show detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks for the great comments re the equipment, food, guides and places and we are so pleased to see you had a great trip. :) Its very unusual and unfortunate that due to a technical issue we had to change buses for some of your trip. Our newer vehicles do cover the tour faster and we only use these backup vehicles to cover these exceptional circumstances and ensure the tour can continue to sun smoothly. Hopefully you will get to try us again one day.
- ASALICEWritten on July 1, 20164.5 - ExcellentIt's a trip of a lifetimeShow detailed ratingsFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks alice and so pleased to hear you had a great trip
- AAnonymousWritten on March 15, 2010I came back from the most amazing three month trip around USA, NZ, Aus, Thailand and Malaysia in March of last year. I am writing about all of the highlights and best things we did whilst we were travelling - one of which was definitely the Flying Kiwi Adventure Tour. Since we were going all the way to NZ we really wanted to see as much as possible of the North and South Island and experience as much as we possibly could too! We actually did more in three and a half weeks in NZ than we had done in a lifetime!! This was mainly a result of the wide ranging and well organised adventure activities on the Flying Kiwi Adventure Tour, the contagious nature of the crazy outdoor adventure environment and meeting so many new friends with the same outlook as us!! Flying Kiwi is basically a Bus Tour which travels right around the North and South Island stopping at various points throughout the trip for activities and camping. When you first get on the bus you are assigned into a cook group and then groups are rotated for cooking and washing up which is perfect as you get nights off when you dont have to think about cooking or washing up at all! We were on the bus for 21 days altogether and in that time we travelled around the Bay of Islands, then right down the east coast of the north island, the east coast of the south island and round to Queenstown. Within that time we went skydiving; bungee jumping; cantered a horse through Lord of the Rings country; walked the Tongariro Crossing; went white water rafting; paddled a Waka, learnt the Haka and ate Hungi with a Maori Family on a Maori Culture Evening; went on 5 bike rides; bathed in Hot Springs; went Sea Kayaking around Cathedral Cove (where Prince Caspian is filmed); toured around Milford Sound; went Whale watching; dolphin swimming; Mount Cook; visited giant trees, mud pools, explosive geysers and shared good food and drinks around many beach fires with good new friends that will last a lifetime. A list of activities comes round the group pretty much everyday on the bus and you can sign up for anything you fancy, the lists cater to everybody on the bus including those who may not want to throw themselves out of a plane etc. Plus if there is anything which you want to do which isnt on the list the tour guides do their best to organise your activity. The tour guides aren't on commission for the activities and so are definitely not pushy at all and sometimes they join in with the activities which is really good fun. Our tour guide Betty joined in on white water rafting; sky diving and the Hot Pools and became more of a friend rather than a Tour Guide. It is ace that she had tried some of the activities as she could give an honest opinion of what they would be like. A lot of people are put off bus tours as they think they will be packed 18 - 21 years olds who are rowdy and constantly getting drunk!! Not Flying Kiwi - I was pleasantly surprised; the bus had a relaxing but happy feel with a good age range from 16 year old students on exchange programmes up 60+ retired couples looking to travel around NZ. The age range was definitely a plus and everybody was up for a good time without taking things too far. If you want to do a tour around the North and South Island with a relaxing and happy vibe; good food; amazing Tour Guides and a take it or leave it attitude towards adventure activities - Flying Kiwi is the one for you!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewSo pleased this was one of the highlights of your exciting trip.
- AAnonymousWritten on March 9, 2010I decided to travel with flying kiwi as i wanted to travel witha group but something a little less party style. The trip was absolutely perfect....guides were great and met heaps of cool people from all corners of the globe. the highlight of the trip was swimming with dolphins in kaikoura - we got up early from camp and watched the most amazig sunrise before swimming with a pod of at least 100 dolphins...definitely recommend this. ages ranged from 18 to early 50s on our trip but most were in 20s or 30s and the group change a bit as you travel round which seems to work well. if you want to spend more time doing active stuff and really enjoy the beautiful scenery in new zealand then you should definitely use these guys. :) p.s. also ask about pineapple lumps....the weirdest food of all time!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks - your description of the trips is also absolutely perfect! :)
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- DAY 1: AUCKLAND - COROMANDEL
- DAY 2: COROMANDEL - ROTORUA
- DAY 3: ROTORUA - TONGARIRO
- DAY 4: TONGARIRO - KAPITI COAST
- DAY 5: KAPITI COAST - WELLINGTON - PICTON
- DAY 6: PICTON - KAIKOURA
- DAY 7: KAIKOURA - CHRISTCHURCH - RANGITATA
- DAY 8: RANGITATA - LAKE PUKAKI
- DAY 9: LAKE PUKAKI - AORAKI NATIONAL PARK - MOERAKI
- DAY 10: MOERAKI - DUNEDIN
- DAY 11: DUNEDIN - FIORDLAND NATIONAL PARK
- DAY 12: FIORDLAND NATIONAL PARK - MILFORD SOUND - TE ANAU
- DAY 13: TE ANAU - QUEENSTOWN
- DAY 14: QUEENSTOWN
- DAY 15: QUEENSTOWN
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
Can you please provide more information about how this Lord of the Rings tour operates?
The Grand Traverse is great for 'Lord of the Rings' fans! The Hobbiton tour is enjoyed on day two of the tour in Rotorua and the 'Pure Glenorchy - Scenic Lord of the Rings Tour' is available either day on our 2 day stop in Queenstowa at the end of the trip.
What is the age range of the tour participants?
Most Flying Kiwi Passengers are solo travelers and the age range is 20-70 on most tours, so there is always a fun mix of people aboard.
I would like to know more about the accommodation included on this tour.
Shared tent accommodation for 2 people per tent are what's included in the Grand Traverse tour price. You can upgrade to have your own tent for the duration of the tour for an additional cost. Please contact us to arrange this.
Guides who have led this tour
- "Travel addict who loves nothing more than sharing that addiction...."
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Martina25th April 2018
Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic
- Upcoming departures
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- FridayOct 19, 2018from Auckland15 DaysFridayNov 2, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- SundayOct 28, 2018from Auckland15 DaysSundayNov 11, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- TuesdayNov 6, 2018from Auckland15 DaysTuesdayNov 20, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- ThursdayNov 15, 2018from Auckland15 DaysThursdayNov 29, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- SaturdayNov 24, 2018from Auckland15 DaysSaturdayDec 8, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- MondayDec 3, 2018from Auckland15 DaysMondayDec 17, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- WednesdayDec 12, 2018from Auckland15 DaysWednesdayDec 26, 2018to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- FridayDec 21, 2018from Auckland15 DaysFridayJan 4, 2019to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- SundayDec 30, 2018from Auckland15 DaysSundayJan 13, 2019to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
- TuesdayJan 8, 2019from Auckland15 DaysTuesdayJan 22, 2019to Queenstown4 seats left$81USD $1,951
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
- DollarNew Zealand
Plugs & Adapters
- Auckland is the starting point and Queenstown is the endpoint.
- Your money is safe with TourRadar, as we only pay the tour operator after your tour has departed.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 20% to confirm this Flying Kiwi booking. The remaining balance is then payable 60 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 20 September 2018 the full payment of $1,951 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $1951 for Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic, but the deposit of 20% is non-refundable. If you cancel via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- Some departure dates and prices may vary and Flying Kiwi will contact you with any discrepancies before your booking is confirmed.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Flying Kiwi tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Auckland (New Zealand)
- 66 km
- Coromandel (New Zealand)
- 167 km
- Rotorua (New Zealand)
- 63 km
- Taupo (New Zealand)
- 40 km
- Turangi (New Zealand)
- 32 km
- Tongariro National Park (New Zealand)
- 242 km
- Wellington (New Zealand)
- 65 km
- Picton (New Zealand)
- 126 km
- Kaikoura (New Zealand)
- 151 km
- Christchurch (New Zealand)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $1,951 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 941 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 65 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior to the departure date. If you cancel your booking for Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic via TourRadar the standard cancellation policy applies.
- 6 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic