Southern Sun From New York
- Our saving
- US $ 2,700
- New York, Texas, Washington DC
- Nashville, home of country music
- Helicopter over the Grand Canyon
- Experience the sin city of Las Vegas
- Age range
- 18 to 38 year olds
- Hostel, Hotel, Camping, Lodge
- Max Group Size
- Private Vehicle
- Rather Poor
- PSPeterWritten on June 10, 20163.0 - AverageIf your looking for a drinking holiday and to see the main strips in each city this is the tour. Plus the added bonus of 1 day in Grand Canyon and 1/2 day in Zion.Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on August 15, 20135.0 - ExcellentThis three weeks have been absolutely amazing!!! It was my first time doing a roadtrip with a group of people i never met before and I am now so glad I did it! Even if it was a lot of travelling nearly each day it was really worth the money! We saw so many amazing places and our tourguide could tell all the special local things you had to do - thats why we had a firework in Tennessee, went to a drive in movie theater (watching World War Z), got to see the most amazing sunrise and sky full of stars I have ever seen in Monument Valley, had a BBQ in the memorial park of Washington DC, got a hotel directly at the Strip in Las Vegas, had a lodge in Cowboy Camp and our own house directly at Bourbon Street in New Orleans!! Our group was perfect and I really liked the internationality of it - thats why we got not only American Burgers and Steak to eat, we also had English Breakfast and a Korean dinner as well as we listened to so many different types of music - german, korean, british, scottish, country, rap, pop, charts,... I never expected that you could get used to a couple of people in that short time - we got friends, and i mean really good friends - we spent every single minute on our trip together - we even shared our beds in the hotels since we couldn't seperate anymore! The goodbye was one of the hardest I ever had - but at least we promised to meet again - and that is exactly what we are going to do next week - some of us are meeting again in Great Britain!! ((: In the beginning I was worried about sleeping on a thing sleepingpad every night, cooking dinner, living on campgrounds, putting up tents every day: but i would not want to miss it! That cooking got us together as a group and I really enjoyed our food we had! And you also really get used to putting up a tent - by the end of the trip you could really deal with doing it within 5-10min.! Sleeping on the sleepingpad was hard in the beginning - since it also was really humid and hot in Washington DC, but from time to time it was easier - you just didn't care anymore since you were just really tired or sometimes drunk that it didn't matter where you slept on! Thanks to TrekAmerica - I am now able to sleep whenever I can and most of all: wherever!! (: Since that was the best vacation I have ever had I am currently looking on trips I can to next year!
- AAnonymousWritten on August 10, 20135.0 - ExcellentRe-posted under my account, so I can get the 300 points! ;) haha! Okay, so where do I begin!? This trek was just fantastic. It's an excellent choice for first-timers, like myself, and it's also great for people who have done Treks before. You see so much in a short space of time! So I did New York to LA. New York- It rained. But still the sights were pretty awesome. I was there a few days beforehand. Went on the hop-on hop off bus around New York, which is great as it allows so many sights very quickly! MAKE SURE YOU GO UP THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! The views are mind blowing. The boat ride is also fantastic! Central Park is brilliant and thankfully the sun was out! We went on the chair things that are attached to a bike and someone cycles you around.... make sure you barter, and don't believe a word they say on the tour! ;) TIP- if you intend to see New York before or after the Trek, book a hotel closer to the city as the gateway is aaaaaaages away! Washington- We were there on 4th July. Brilliant. If you have the opportunity to be there, do it. You can join in the parade or sit and watch. The Smithsonian museums are free and really good! Would recommend the American History Museum and the National Air and Space museum. Fireworks- I was so grateful to be there, they were awesome! I didn't do white water rafting, but everyone else did, and they all loved it! New Orleans- By far, one of my faves! The atmosphere is brilliant! Get to do Karaoke! Once you've sung in N'Orleans, you've made it, right?! Texas- I loved Texas. Probably cos it was hot ;) We went to Barton Springs- so so nice there! It has a diving board so get ready to show off your inner 'Tom Daley!' McDonald Observatory is fantastic, make sure you take a special camera for taking pictures of stars if that's what you want as I ended up with a black screen :P Roswell- hilarious! Wrap yourself up in tin foil to protect yourself! Cowboy Ranch- Loving life there!!! :) Have the steak. It's divine. Go horseback riding. I am petrified of animals, but was determined to do this, and I am so glad I did! And the plus, well they're real live cowboys! ;) Monument Valley- Another fave of mine! It's lush there. Do the Navajo thaaaaang! Channel your inner Indian. Take some awesome photos. Camp under the stars.... or in our case, a picnic bench as it began raining at 2.30 am! Get up for that sunrise, and just take it all in. Grand Canyon- MIND BLOWING. It is freaking huge! The helicopter ride- expensive but soooo worth it! Do the hike! But make sure you do what you can do. It's a really hot place, and whilst going down is optional, coming up is mandatory. I did the mile and a half of the Bright Angel Trail and it's blinking hard getting back up! Also did the rim-to-rim hike, which has shuttle busses as well so it's perfect for those who feel less fit than others! The sunset is gorgeous. Lake Powell- Gorgeous. A bit of a hike to get in and out, but its worth it. Very deep! Zion NP- again, stunning. Did the riverside walk which is very pretty. I didn't do the hike the following day as I thought I basically wouldn't be able to do it due to being tired, but the people who did, said it was pretty awesome. Vegas Baby- The best most amazing place and I have every intention of returning! Rounded off the trip perfectly! It certainly helped being $230 up in the Bellagio ;) Make sure you see a show! Go on the New York New York rollercoaster! Gamble! You cannot come to this place and not gamble! The fountains are so perfect. I loved them. Vegas, it's freakin' Vegas baby! LA- stayed a few days in LA afterwards. The gateway hotel is a bit out of the way again.... Hollywood is awesome. Do the Grand Tour, you see everything you need to see :) We booked a baseball game- fantastic! DO this if you can!! Wooo Dodgers! Went to the Getty Museum, again excellent! Very nice for some quiet, trek comedown time! It has Monet and Van Gogh as well :) Overall, it was bloody brilliant! Made some amazing friends! Had an awesome Trek leader (Sean Horvath)! He was very laid back and up for a laugh! Saw some fantastic things! Life was simply perfect for that month. And I'm gutted it couldn't continue. Don't be worried about being a lone traveller- the group click straight away and you begin having so much fun! I was concerned about travel sickness as I'm very prone..... I was fine!!! YAAAYYY!!!!! :D Notes: Buy cold water at the gas stations- I drank so much waterrrrr. Buy alcohol when and wherever you can - I drank so much alcoholllllll Buy a pillow straight away! And sleep on the bus! Nick the blanket from the plane! The bus can get chilly from the Air con! And there were a few cooler nights so the blanket on top made the difference! I was fine without taking an extra mattress! I was so tired and/or drunk by bed time, I didn't care where I slept :P The tents are very easy to put up! Make sure you do everything! Enjoy yourself! Get a mascot! Get a Group theme song! Get a Group name! Be prepared to tip ALL THE TIME! Even if the service wasn't brill :/ Just do the trip!
- AAnonymousWritten on August 7, 20135.0 - ExcellentFrom the get go this trip was incredible! I had tried & tried to organise a summer trip with friends, but to no avail. I had friend who did this exact trek last summer, and loved it. So, with no friends from home interested, I decided to look into it by myself! Booking was easy, I did it all over phone and the lady on the other end of the line was lovely and very helpful. In the end it ended up being a very spontaneous decision, I had decided & put my deposit down within a few days upon it coming into my head, in fact I was one of the last people to fill a place in the group! The trek itelf is inredible, you get to see soooooo much over such a short space of time! If I was to feel anxious about going alone there was absolutely no need as I gelled with my group very very quickly, and soon, our tour leader included, we became a little trek family. Our leader, Spenser was great, he was so chilled but still managed to get the job done. He felt just like another member of the group most of the time! As I said, we covered so much ground in those 3 weeks, about 4500 miles, across 16 (approx!) different states. I loved it because everything was organised for me so I never had to worry, and I got a sneak peak of so many parts of America (now I have an idea of where I want to go back for longer visits!). I've made friends for life from this trip, so much so that a few of us are even talking about doing another trek together next year. An amazing trip, I would definately recommend it.
- AAnonymousWritten on August 5, 20135.0 - ExcellentFrom Day 1 the Soutern Sun (NY to LA) trip was everything I wanted and much more! From walking in the 4th July parade in Washington, local Tennesse bars, New Orleans Karaoke, drive in movies, tin foiling it up for alien spotting in Roswell and Vegas, Vegas, Vegas to mention just a few...not forgetting the completely mind blowing experience that is WALMART!!! Our tour leader Spenser (with a 's') Widen went above and beyond to give us an unforgettable trip and never let his enthusiasn drop below 110% Amazing Guy!!!!!! TREK AMERICA is a must do!!....you won't regret it!
- AAnonymousWritten on July 27, 20135.0 - ExcellentThis was a brilliant 3 weeks spent in the States! I'd never done anything like this sort of holiday before and I wasn't disappointed one bit loved the travelling even the odd long drive between places. The trek leader (Sean Horvath) was great always up for a laugh and looked after our group really well, camping was simple and easy and I wouldn't worry about it even if you've never camped before it adds to the fun of the trip! The variety of places you visit are there from city centres to the more secluded areas and hikes in Nation parks. I would definitely book again and do other treks with them and even feel confident doing one under my own steam.
- AAnonymousWritten on July 24, 20135.0 - ExcellentIt was honestly the best experience of my life and I shall never forget it. The company is great and Morgan our trek leader was amazing! I've made some life long friends and seem some spectacular places. Anyone thinking of booking it, just do it, you will not regret it. As soon as I landed I was looking to book again, amazing time. Without a doubt, best time of my life!!! :)
- AAnonymousWritten on July 18, 20135.0 - ExcellentSouthern Sun 2011... Best experience of my life. I have made friends for life and miss the experience every single day!!! Without a doubt the best time of my life!! DO IT !!!!!!!!!! :-)
- AAnonymousWritten on July 14, 20135.0 - ExcellentRecommend to anyone. See America in 21 days, so much fun.
- AAnonymousWritten on July 12, 20135.0 - Excellentthis trip was just amazing, i enjoyed every moment, the only thing was that it went too quickly. Before i knew it we were coming into LA after 3 weeks of fun. The highlight was definitely the grand canyon, but it was all out of this world. If you have the funds do it, you won't regret it i can promise you that it's worth every penny!!!
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Days 1-2: New York Area, Philadelphia, Washington, DC
- Day 3: Appalachian Mountains
- Day 4: Ocoee
- Day 5: Nashville
- Day 6: Memphis
- Days 7-8: New Orleans
- Day 9: Louisiana, East Texas
- Days 10-11: Austin
- Day 12: Amarillo
- Day 13: Santa Fe
- Day 14: Monument Valley
- Days 15-16: Grand Canyon National Park
- Days 17-18: Lake Powell, Zion National Park
- Days 19-20: Las Vegas
- Day 21: Las Vegas, Los Angeles
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Excellent by past passengers
- Optional Extras
- Southern Sun Trekkers Video
- Q&A: Trek America Oct 2014
- Trek America: Adventures in North, Central and South America
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- December 1, 2016
How am I supposed to wash my clothes during this trip?
You definitely don't need to stress about your clothes. Laundry opportunities are available throughout this trip.
- August 1, 2016
Is there a slower version of this type of timetable designed for about 60 year olds?
The slower version of Trek America tours would be their sister company Grand American Adventures. We also work with Trafalgar or Globus that are usually not so fast paced and have wonderful tours.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Gemma, 31 years old7th April 2017
Southern Sun From New York
- Upcoming departures
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
- WednesdayMar 28, 2018from New York CityTuesdayApr 17, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$69PriceUSD $2,700+ $210 KittyOnly 2 spaces left
- WednesdayApr 4, 2018from New York CityTuesdayApr 24, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$69PriceUSD $2,700+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayApr 11, 2018from New York CityTuesdayMay 1, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$69PriceUSD $2,700+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayApr 25, 2018from New York CityTuesdayMay 15, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$72PriceUSD $2,827+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayMay 2, 2018from New York CityTuesdayMay 22, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$72PriceUSD $2,827+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayMay 9, 2018from New York CityTuesdayMay 29, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$72PriceUSD $2,827+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayMay 23, 2018from New York CityTuesdayJun 12, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$72PriceUSD $2,827+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayMay 30, 2018from New York CityTuesdayJun 19, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$72PriceUSD $2,827+ $210 KittyOnly 3 spaces left
- ThursdayJun 7, 2018from New York CityWednesdayJun 27, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$74PriceUSD $2,875+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
- WednesdayJun 13, 2018from New York CityTuesdayJul 3, 2018in Los AngelesOur saving$74PriceUSD $2,875+ $210 Kitty5 spaces left
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- New York City is the starting point and Los Angeles is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Trek America to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 10% to confirm this Trek America booking. The remaining balance is then payable 56 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 13 December 2017 the full payment of $2,700 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $2700 for Southern Sun From New York, but the deposit of 10% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Trek America tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- New York City (USA)
- 130 km
- Philadelphia (USA)
- 199 km
- Washington DC (USA)
- 162 km
- Appalachian Mountains (USA)
- 1,054 km
- Birmingham (USA)
- 504 km
- New Orleans (USA)
- 816 km
- San Antonio (USA)
- 645 km
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park (USA)
- 136 km
- Roswell (USA)
- 286 km
- Santa Fe (USA)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $2,700 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 1,259 tours in North America
- covered by 46 different operators in North America
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date.
- 16 travellers have already met
before they left for Southern Sun From New York tour
Download TourRadar Meet App
- 3 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Southern Sun From New York