Northern Trail From New York
- Our saving
- US $ 2,696
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Camping near Niagara Falls.
- World's first Yellowstone national park.
- San Francisco's famous Chinatown and North Beach.
- Iconic photo viewpoint of McWay Falls.
- Unique lunar landscape of Badlands National Park.
- Age range
- 18 to 38 year olds
- Hostel, Camping, Lodge
- Max Group Size
- Private Vehicle
- Travel style
- Discovery, Adventure
- Rather Poor
- AAnonymousWritten on August 11, 20135.0 - ExcellentIt's easy to say anywhere anyone goes is the best trip they're even been on, but I can say wholeheartedly with my experience that is one trip that will stay with you for the rest of your life. The places you go, the people you meet and the friendships you form with the people you travel around with. Early highlights including Niagara Falls, Cedar Point Amusement Park followed by two days in Chicago. Then westwards towards Mount Rushmore, Badlands, the old western town of Deadwood and a couple of nights sleeping in the wilderness of Yellowstone providing some amazing memories to take with me. From there south-west bound towards Nevada, Lake Tahoe (with a beautiful sunset cruise on offer), two breathtaking (view and exercise wise) days in Yosemite before the trip mellowing out in San Francisco and a relaxing drive down Highway 1, overlooking the Pacific Ocean and making your way into your final stop in Los Angeles. A trip is only as good as the leader who takes you to these wonderful places and my tour leader, Ali, showed all the appropriate enthusiasm and knowledge, going beyond the call of duty at times, just to make that trip just that extra special.
- AAnonymousWritten on April 29, 20135.0 - ExcellentAfter spending 9 weeks working at summer camp, this trek was the perfect way to let off some steam and see a spectrum of the varied lanscapes and cities the USA has to offer. Travelling coats to coast really gives you an idea just how BIG the USA really is and how varies and different are it's scenary and people. A personal favourite of mine was going to a rodeo in the mid west and visiting the world famous Mount Rushmore. This trip has a great variety of city and outdoor stops. Further, if you're like me and not great with too much heat, the Northern Trail in August/ September is great as it's warm enough for short and Tshirts but cool enough to be able to do all the activities without getting hot and bothered! This was my first Trek America tour and it inspired me to do many more!
- AAnonymousWritten on January 6, 20135.0 - ExcellentI went on this Trek years ago now but still think about it often and bore people with my many tales. Watching American TV and saying '"I've been there" has become a standing joke in our house. I traveled on my own and met up with a fantastic group of people who, after hours on a bus together, felt like friends I had known for years. We have had several reunions since where we have sat up late laughing about the things we saw and experienced. Two people who met on my Trek have even got married :-) Be prepared for long stretches on the bus. I think I was naive about the amount of time it actually takes to go coast to coast and you will be expected to get up early to pack up your tents etc. You will get time to sleep on the bus though but take lots of books and music. A lot of people also wrote travel journals which is a really good way of keeping track of where you have been. If you haven't camped much before, don't worry. You will be so tired from the travelling you will sleep like a brick. The weather was very changeable. New York was very muggy and humid and Chicago was hot and rainy (lots of annoying mosquitoes too!) Some of the National Parks such as Yellowstone are baking hot in the day but freezing at night. Take lots of layers with you. The structure of the Trek allows you to see such a wide range of places, from the National Parks to the contrasting busy cities. Being a film geek, watching Close Encounters of The Third Kind under the Devil's Tower Monument (the filming location) was an amazing experience, especially as we had a thunder storm and had to run back to our tents. Chicago was amazing, I loved it so much I have been back since (and was proposed to under the Cloud Gate sculpture) . The parks and architecture are really special, with sky scrapers and historic buildings tucked in between. We did a bike tour which was a great way to see the city. The Cloud Gate sculpture is also very special, especially at different times of the day and night as the reflections and colours change. The Aquarium and Museums are also really nice. Horse-riding in Badlands and Wyoming was good fun. We rode through Badlands as the sun was setting and the colours and scenery were beautiful. Jackson,Wyoming was a very cool Cowboy town where we went to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar and watched people dance in their stetsons. Alcatraz is well worth a look. It is a very eerie place and you can go in to the old cells and imagine the prisoners walking around. Walking across the Golden Gate Bridge is also worth doing. I could go on and on but there isn't enough room in the box to explain how fantastic this Trek is. One thing that sums is up is an American man I sat next to on my flight home. He made the mistake of asking where I had been. After showing him loads of photos' and my travel journal he said " You have seen more of America than most Americans".
- AAnonymousWritten on December 4, 20125.0 - ExcellentI was hesitant to book a tour as I had never heard of Trek America but I am so glad I did! Brian, our guide was fantastic and the group just clicked. I saw so many amazing things that I would not have seen otherwise and I learnt so much. I could not recommend this highly enough!
- AAnonymousWritten on December 4, 20125.0 - ExcellentThe northern trail was my third trek (previously did Southern Sun and a trek in Australia) and it was the best time of my life! It gives you a perfect combination of amazing cities like NY, Chicago, San Fransisco, LA and breathtaking nature like Niagra Falls, Yellowstone, Badlands, Lake Tahoe, Indian lands, Pacific Coast and more. On top of all of this the trips offers many great experiences like roller coasters at Cedar Point, river rafting, a fun night bike ride in the Windy City, bear watching in Yellowstone, amazing hike to Half Dome in Yosemite, cowboy bars, Alcatraz visit and much more. All of this combined with fun camping and parties with your group, encountering a variety of wonderful people and amazing scenery as you drive across the US in the van, equals a truly amazing journey showing you the best of USA. I would not hestitate to do this trip again!!!
- AAnonymousWritten on December 4, 20124.0 - GoodThis is a wonderful trip through the heart of USA, in 3 weeks to get to see sooo much of it. You start from the bustling East coast, passing through Chicago, see the immense cornfields and plains of the Midwest, to continue through the lovely National Parks of Yellowstone and Yosemite, you see the barren scenery of Nevada, finishing in beautiful California. It has a bit of everything, from well-known, touristy places to locations which you have never heard of and that take you deeper under the skin of USA. My trek mates were great, all like-minded, easygoing and eager to discover something new. The trek leader was awesome, always there for you. Camping sometimes is rough and doesn't suit everyone, but I liked it because it added a taste of adventure. There was a variety of activities, and the schedule was flexible enough to allow for someone to take it easy, or to test yourself with some serious hiking. Just bear in mind there aren't many chances for a lie-in: if you want to see stuff, get up early! All in all, a trip I loved, I hope others have the same great experience as me.
- AAnonymousWritten on December 1, 20125.0 - ExcellentThis was my second trek and its amazing. Everything you read is what you do and more. We got baseball tickets in chicago. Went to alcatraz in san Francisco (defo worth it if you can). Partied a lot... Just be prepared for the long drives. They don't bother me because you see so much and most days after the big cities we were a bit hung-over so you can just sleep through them. But its totally worth it. I did the south in March and the north is much more nicer to drive.
- AAnonymousWritten on December 1, 20125.0 - ExcellentThis was an amazing trek. Our group gelled right from the start. The first day was Niagra Falls which did not fail to amaze. Loved the camping. there was such a sense of fun and friendship on the trek. Our tour leader went out of his way to make sure we seen the best each area had to offer, from the Spam museum to the Jolly Green giant. Chicago was excellent. We did a bike tour which made me laugh so much!! All in all, there was never a boring day. Even on the long journeys on the bus we watched movies, played cards and talked and slept.
- AAnonymousWritten on December 1, 20123.0 - AverageThis trek was my 3rd trek. I loved the variety of big cities like Chicago and the beautiful national parks. You really get to see changes when driving for many many hours in the van. From absolutely barren prairies to green and lush national parks with mountains. This trip is according to our trek leader the tour where you have to drive the longest and some of the days are looooooong! But it's okay when you see all the amazing thing :)
- AAnonymousWritten on November 15, 20125.0 - ExcellentMy fiancee and I went on the Northern Trail trek from New York. We arrived 3 days early so we could spend some time in NY which is definitely worth it! This trek was amazing and we got to see so many things! Niagara Falls was spectacular - The Maid of the Mist cruise is fantastic. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are also epic! The camping is fun - especially in some of the thunder storms they get over there! I recommend bringing a pillow for the van rides and camping to make your stay much more comfortable. Also bring something to entertain you in the van as this trek has some very long van rides of 9 hours in a day sometimes! I chose this trek primarily for the visits to Yellowstone and Yosemite parks but you also get to see Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles - all of which are totally different from each other and have their own quirks. Keep a look out for bears in Yellowstone - they are fantastic to watch! One of my favourite days was in Los Angeles, spending a few hours on Venice Beach. The waves are terrific and you'll have a great time! I definitely recommend this trek, the long hours in the van are worth all of the amazing sites you'll see along the way. You'll cover 12,000 miles in the 21 days!
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: New York Area, Niagara Falls
- Day 2: Niagara Falls, Lake Erie
- Days 3-4: Chicago
- Day 5: Minnesota
- Day 6: Badlands National Park
- Day 7: Mount Rushmore
- Day 8: Cody
- Days 9-10: Yellowstone National Park
- Days 11-12: Grand Teton National Park, Jackson
- Days 13-14: Great Basin Nevada, Lake Tahoe
- Days 15-16: Yosemite National Park
- Days 17-18: San Francisco
- Day 19: California Coast
- Day 20: Santa Barbara, Los Angeles
Prepare for an adventure in this stunning destination with our travel guide.
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Average by past passengers
- Q&A: Trek America Oct 2014
- Trek America: Adventures in North, Central and South America
- A Day in the Life of a Trekker
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!Ask a question
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Desislava12th June 2018
Northern Trail From New York
- Upcoming departures
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- WednesdayMay 8, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayMay 27, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$393$3,089-13%USD $2,696+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJun 12, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayJul 1, 2019to Los Angeles7 seats left$407$3,209-13%USD $2,802+ $210 Kitty
- MondayJun 17, 2019from New York City20 DaysSaturdayJul 6, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$407$3,209-13%USD $2,802+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJun 26, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayJul 15, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$407$3,209-13%USD $2,802+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJul 3, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayJul 22, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
- FridayJul 5, 2019from New York City20 DaysWednesdayJul 24, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJul 10, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayJul 29, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJul 17, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayAug 5, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJul 24, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayAug 12, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
- WednesdayJul 31, 2019from New York City20 DaysMondayAug 19, 2019to Los Angeles10+ seats left$408$3,249-13%USD $2,841+ $210 Kitty
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- New York City is the starting point and Los Angeles is the endpoint.
- Hold my space
- TourRadar can request Trek America to hold spaces for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of 10% to confirm this Trek America booking. The remaining balance is then payable 56 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 11 December 2018 the full payment of $2,696 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $2696 for Northern Trail From New York, but the deposit of 10% is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Trek America tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- New York City (USA)
- 496 km
- Niagara Falls (USA)
- 713 km
- Chicago (USA)
- 330 km
- Wisconsin Rapids (USA)
- 1,004 km
- Badlands NP (USA)
- 88 km
- Mt. Rushmore (USA)
- 452 km
- Cody (USA)
- 126 km
- Yellowstone (USA)
- 112 km
- Jackson (USA)
- 38 km
- Grand Teton National Park (USA)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $2,696 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 1,808 tours in North America
- covered by 68 different operators in North America
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date.
- 1 Genuine Review
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Northern Trail From New York