Start planning your tour
Places You’ll See
- Great Wall
Start in Beijing and end in Shanghai! With the discovery tour China on a Shoestring, you have a 21 day tour package taking you through Beijing, China and 15 other destinations in China. China on a Shoestring includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
- Day 1: Join trip in Beijing
- Day 2: Discover the sights of Beijing including the Forbidden City
- Day 3: Discover the Temple of Heaven, free afternoon in Beijing
- Day 4: Walk the Great Wall; overnight train to Xian
- Day 5: Free time to explore Xian's Muslim Quarter
- Day 6: Discover the Terracotta Army; optional Tea Ceremony
- Day 7: Morning train to Yichang; board the Yangtse riverboat
- Day 8: Cruise down the Yangtse River
- Day 9: Continue down the Yangtse River; passing through the fabulous Three Gorges
- Day 10: A chance to visit the Jade Emperor's Shrine and take part in the Captain's farwell dinner
- Day 11: Disembark riverboat; bullet train to Chengdu
- Day 12: Visit the Panda Research Centre and take the bullet train to Sanjiang before driving to Ma An Zhai Village
- Day 13: Drive to Ma An Zhai Village. Evening with local family
- Day 14: Meet Yao families in Longji and Dazhai Village
- Day 15: Hike from Dazhai to Pingan, passing incredible views
- Day 16: Transfer from Pingan to Yangshuo
- Day 17: Free day in Yangshuo; optional bike hire and cooking classes
- Day 18: Transfer to Guilin; overnight train to Shanghai
- Day 19: Free day in Shanghai; stroll along the Shanghai Bund
- Day 20: Optional visit to the Pearl TV and Radio Tower
- Day 21: Trip ends in Shanghai
- Additional Services
- Optional Extras
- Additional Services
Where You'll Stay
Berth / Cabin
- Overall RatingExcellent
- Most Recent
- Most Popular
- Highest First
- Lowest First
- APaul· December 23, 2019-Trip date: August 2019Review collected by Explore!
- AMary· December 23, 2019Really enjoyed out trio and have already recommended Explore to family and friends.Trip date: September 2019Review collected by Explore!
- AMichael· December 23, 2019-Trip date: September 2019Review collected by Explore!
- RRichardZanetti· November 02, 2019You will see a huge variety of things, ranging from ancient buildings, spectacular scenery, Pandas, everyday life of remote communities and cities. The trip goes mainly by public transport so you will see the real Chinese way of live and interact with... Show moreTrip date: October 2019
- AWilliam· May 17, 2019More of the sameTrip date: October 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AStuart· May 17, 2019Excellent group of fellow travellers combined with a great guide allowed us to see some of the great sights of China at reasonable cost.. Highlight for me was definitely the days spent walking in the rice terraces, high up in the mountains.Trip date: October 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AJane· May 17, 2019I think the trip notes need updating to give a full picture of the optional activities and costs. It would also have been useful to know that quite a lot of the trek is going up and down steps (I have an old knee injury which responds badly to a large... Show moreTrip date: July 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AAndrew· May 17, 2019I would thoroughly recommend this trip - the food was excellent - Oliver was able to direct us to safe eating establishments and there was always a new or different style of food to try.Trip date: April 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AMatilda· May 17, 2019The guide was absolutely excellent with timings and as vegetarians we were very well catered for. (Guide was Oliver Luo)Trip date: July 2018Review collected by Explore!
- AMaureen· May 17, 2019A must do trip to experience as much as possible of this vast country in one hit - very full on but fascinating.Explore! commented on this reviewThanks for taking the time to write a review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the trip. I hope to see you travelling with us in the future!Trip date: April 2018Review collected by Explore!
Dates & Availability
China on a Shoestring
From Beijing to Shanghai
No credit card fees
Select a departure month
Select The Travel Month
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayJul 27, 2020SundayAug 16, 2020Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,080
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayOct 12, 2020SundayNov 1, 2020Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,080
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayMar 29, 2021SundayApr 18, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayApr 12, 2021SundayMay 2, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayMay 10, 2021SundayMay 30, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayAug 2, 2021SundayAug 22, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondaySep 6, 2021SundaySep 26, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
- Get Instant ConfirmationMondayOct 11, 2021SundayOct 31, 2021Multiple Room TypesHold space for 48h$3,140
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this tour, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!
Good to Know
- About the country
- Payment information
- Cancellation Policy
- Discover TourRadar