“Chilli was an amazing driver, he was considerate. Went out of his way to welcome every single person on the group Even on his days off he was so approachable and helpful. It was his first trip but he was so knowledgeable of the country always telling us fu...“
- See the real New Zealand
- Meet great people
- Go further off the beaten track
- Fun, safe and hassle-free
- Award-winning itineraries
Stray differs from traditional sightseeing tour operators by offering travellers a social, adventurous ‘road trip’ style experience with travel flexibility, access to remote regions and connections with local communities. This unconventional style of travel is known ...
Stray differs from traditional sightseeing tour operators by offering travellers a social, adventurous ‘road trip’ style experience with travel flexibility, access to remote regions and connections with local communities. This unconventional style of travel is known as Stray’s Freestyle Adventure Travel Network. Stray operates in 8 countries across Asia-Pacific (including New Zealand and Australia). Stray collaborates with quality partners to deliver a truly meaningful and varied travel experience. Stray’s customers ‘See More’ than the average tourist, ‘Do More’ to make a positive impact and will ‘Be More’, growing through the experiences they share.Read more
425 Stray Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Katie LouiseStray Journeys - Beetham (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 22, 2020This was an incredible tour and we enjoyed every minute of it. We were looked after really well by our tour guide, kept very well fed and learnt so much about N…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewHi Katie, thank you for the great review! We're stoked to hear that you had an awesome time travelling with us and we hope to have you on the bus again soon, maybe this time in Asia or Australia :)
- KatrinStray - Big South Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 22, 2020I truly enjoyed my time with Stray’s amazing tour of New Zealand. This was my first time in New Zealand but we covered every inch of the South Island. The guide…Read more
- RajeshStray Journeys - Mackinnon (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 17, 2020Well organised, variety of options with excellent guides!Stray Travel commented on this reviewHi Rajesh, we're very glad to hear that you had a great time travelling with us, thanks for the review :)
- LHLynneStray Journeys - Beetham (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on February 6, 2020Excellent. Husky, our driver and guide, was the best.Stray Travel commented on this reviewHi Lynne, thank you for your review! We'll be sure to pass on your comment onto Husky :)
- SSteenThindJrgensenStray - Far & Wide Pass (National)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 11, 2020Such a fine way to travel...you se so many things in a short time...and ones the app is up running is pretty easy to plan your trip. The drivers er doing a rea…Read more
- SSteffiStray - North to South Pass (National)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 10, 20204 perfect weeks in New Zealand. Got to see and do everything I wanted and met a lot of great people at different ages. As someone who was travelling alone (for …Read more
- PansyStray Journeys - Batten (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 6, 2020All the arrangements were good. the trip went smooth.Stray Travel commented on this reviewHi Pansy, Thanks so much for your review, I sincerely hope you had a blast Straying with us!
- VGVeronicaStray - Big North Pass (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 15, 2019What an awesome trip, route and choice of activities! It was the most exciting trip ever. Stray provide cool, knowledgeable and fun bus drivers/guides. Romeo ma…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewSo happy to hear you had such an awesome time! We'll be sure to pass your great feedback onto Romeo and Lightning :)
- LLisapotterStray - Short South Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 3, 2019Chilli was an amazing driver, he was considerate. Went out of his way to welcome every single person on the group Even on his days off he was so approachable an…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewHey Lisa, Thanks so much for your amazing review of one of our newest drivers, Chilli! He'll be thrilled to hear he made your time in New Zealand so special :)
- HVHenningStray - Short North Pass (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 29, 2019Stray is an amazing way to travel around New Zealand and meeting new travel minded people in the same time. Highly recommended!Stray Travel commented on this reviewHi Henning! Thanks for the awesome review, we hope to have you on the bus again sometime soon :)
About Stray Travel
Stray Travel videos
- New Zealand Adventure Travel With Stray
- Destination Video: Raglan - A Place to Stray
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- STRAY- Adventuring across Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Destination Video - Blue Duck Station: A Place to Stray
- Show more...
- Destination Video- Lake Aniwhenua: A Place To Stray
- Destination Video - Hahei: A Place to Stray
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is Stray a party bus?
Ultimately, Stray’s main priority is getting you out to see the real sites of the cities you are in, mixed with some early starts so that you can fit in as many sites as possible. What you do in your evenings is your own choice... However, of course, Stray are a sociable bunch and they do enjoy a beer or three! Many of the overnight stops are so "off the beaten track", you will find many of these fine beverages are shared around a campfire rather than in a bar, but we do have a couple of optional big nights out whilst on the trip if you wish.
Are we travelling on the bus every day?
Stray includes free days (non-travel days) in their itinerary, e.g. Byron Bay and Magnetic Island, so even if you’re completing your Stray trip in the “minimum days” required you will still have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. Stray also include free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or even do some necessary laundry!
Will there be Wifi on the bus?
No Stray do not have WIFI on their buses and that’s for a couple of reasons but one of the main reasons is it discourages actual human connection and they love everyone getting to know each other. Share stories and make friends, be in the 'now'! This way your experience becomes even more memorable.
How fit do I need to be?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with Stray as all the walks and activities on the tour are optional and there is something to suit everyone.
How many people will I be travelling with?
You will usually find that there will be around 15-20 people travelling with you, with summer being busier than winter. The main buses Stray use can seat up to 40 people if required.
I am travelling alone, is that ok?
It is not a problem to travel alone, in fact, you will find a lot of travellers arrive alone and others are with friends or partners. It doesn’t matter because by the end of day 1 you will have already made a great group of friends on the bus with you!
What is the average age of Stray travellers?
It may sound like a cliché, but Stray Travel are more about attitude than age. Anyone from 18-70 is welcome on their tours – with the majority of the like-minded passengers between 21 and 35.
Who travels with Stray?
Stray attracts adventurous travellers from all corners of the globe. When we say “adventurous”, we don’t mean we expect you to do a bungy jump or even a 10 mile hike… but an open mind and a thirst for exploration is important!