“I enjoyed it so much! Both drivers were fantastic (Pacman & Moose) and it was great to meet so many nice people along the way. The places we went to were amazing as well. I only wished there were more busses driving so it'd be easier to stay somewhere just...“
- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience, ...
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience, a lodge set deep in native bush, a wildlife stop-over on Stewart Island, a night by NZ’s highest mountain... All of these and more are exclusive to Stray, as well as getting you to all the must-see places so you can really experience the best of New Zealand.Read more
423 Stray Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- JJaimeLumaquinStray - Jill Pass (North Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on July 3, 2019Awesome experience with Stray,. We have awesome group exploring the North Island. Rolex is the best driver / guide definitely I will comeback in NZ with Stray…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewThat's fantastic, thank you! We look forward to seeing you on the South Island sometime soon!
- DéboraStray Journeys Winter - Beetham (North Island)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on July 1, 2019I loved the experience I had on this trip. I strongly recommend Stray for your trip, having a local guide is a plus.Stray Travel commented on this reviewCheers, Debora! Thanks for choosing to Stray with us!
- RRaphaelGaagStray - Maximus Pass (National)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on June 26, 2019I was lucky enough to get a fairly good discount on my Maximus Pass. But this Pass would even without the discount be my favourite choice to travel New Zealand …Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewThank you, Raphael, for the great review of your trip. We're so glad you chose Stray to show you around!
- KatieStray Journeys Winter - Beetham (North Island)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on June 15, 2019I really enjoyed this tour. Got to see most of the highlights of the North Island. Nat is an excellent guide/driver, lots of interesting stories to tell and jok…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewThanks, Katie, for sharing your experiences on the North Island with Nat! Sounds like a great trip.
- EEmilieStray - Maximus Pass (National)3.5 - GoodWritten on May 24, 2019I called Stray and afsked them to put me on the stand-by list for a bus. What they forgot ti tell me was that if i was put on that stand-by list, I would loose …Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewHi Emilie, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. Unfortunately we can't provide a refund for passengers who have hopped off the bus and subsequently lost their booked seats on future buses. We have been able to provide you with a letter to your travel insurance company, which we hope you can use to claim the expenses incurred from hopping off. I am sorry if our communications were not clear to you at the time of hopping off. We recommend to all passengers travelling on a tight time frame to book all their buses in advance, to avoid situations like this. All the best for your future travels.
- MMaartjevanbusselStray - Maximus Pass (National)1.0 - BadWritten on May 20, 2019Extremely bad organisation. They sell a flexibel pass as hop-on-hop-off but to get on a bus you have to book 5-8 days in advance. That is not flexibel! And even…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewHi Maartje, thanks for your feedback. During peak season, or if you are on a tight time frame, we do recommend that you book all your buses in advance. This is because buses fill up quickly, and sometimes your desired departures are not available. I’m sorry that you’ve encountered some issues with our service, but am happy to hear that you are still travelling with us in the North Island currently. While in the quiet times you can hop on and off as you please, when the buses are full, you can still be flexible if not spontaneous. We understand that you may not have fully understood this before you purchased your pass, and are taking steps now to make this more clear. Thanks again for getting in touch, and all the best on your future travels
- DVDesireeStray - Stew Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 21, 2019I enjoyed it so much! Both drivers were fantastic (Pacman & Moose) and it was great to meet so many nice people along the way. The places we went to were amazin…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewCheers Desiree! Stoked you had a splendid time on our Stew Pass! ~Lisa at Stray
Stray Travel Tours
About Stray Travel
Stray Travel videos
- New Zealand Adventure Travel With Stray
- Destination Video: Raglan - A Place to Stray
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- STRAY- Adventuring across Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Destination Video - Blue Duck Station: A Place to Stray
- Show more...
- Destination Video- Lake Aniwhenua: A Place To Stray
- Destination Video - Hahei: A Place to Stray
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is Stray a party bus?
Ultimately, Stray’s main priority is getting you out to see the real sites of the cities you are in, mixed with some early starts so that you can fit in as many sites as possible. What you do in your evenings is your own choice... However, of course, Stray are a sociable bunch and they do enjoy a beer or three! Many of the overnight stops are so "off the beaten track", you will find many of these fine beverages are shared around a campfire rather than in a bar, but we do have a couple of optional big nights out whilst on the trip if you wish.
Are we travelling on the bus every day?
Stray includes free days (non-travel days) in their itinerary, e.g. Byron Bay and Magnetic Island, so even if you’re completing your Stray trip in the “minimum days” required you will still have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. Stray also include free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or even do some necessary laundry!
Will there be Wifi on the bus?
No Stray do not have WIFI on their buses and that’s for a couple of reasons but one of the main reasons is it discourages actual human connection and they love everyone getting to know each other. Share stories and make friends, be in the 'now'! This way your experience becomes even more memorable.
How fit do I need to be?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with Stray as all the walks and activities on the tour are optional and there is something to suit everyone.
How many people will I be travelling with?
You will usually find that there will be around 15-20 people travelling with you, with summer being busier than winter. The main buses Stray use can seat up to 40 people if required.
I am travelling alone, is that ok?
It is not a problem to travel alone, in fact, you will find a lot of travellers arrive alone and others are with friends or partners. It doesn’t matter because by the end of day 1 you will have already made a great group of friends on the bus with you!
What is the average age of Stray travellers?
It may sound like a cliché, but Stray Travel are more about attitude than age. Anyone from 18-70 is welcome on their tours – with the majority of the like-minded passengers between 21 and 35.
Who travels with Stray?
Stray attracts adventurous travellers from all corners of the globe. When we say “adventurous”, we don’t mean we expect you to do a bungy jump or even a 10 mile hike… but an open mind and a thirst for exploration is important!