“Hi there The Stray Journeys Tour in New Zealand, which I travelled with, I definitely would recommend. We had a really good, friendly, funny and qualified driver - Lego. I appreciated the way how the Tour was organized and I also loved our group. The peop...“
- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience,...
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience, a lodge set deep in native bush, a wildlife stop-over on Stewart Island, a night by NZ’s highest mountain... All of these and more are exclusive to Stray, as well as getting you to all the must-see places so you can really experience the best of New Zealand.Read more
309 Stray Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- SSuzanneStray Journeys - Mackinnon (South Island)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 17, 2018… which made every night a new adventure. Would highly recommend this Stray tour!Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewThanks Suzanne for the lovely review! Glad we could show you around the South Island and help your NZ dreams come true.
- HMHeidi-MayStray - Stew Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on February 9, 2018I had an amazing trip with Stray. The bus driver Motors was absolutely fantastic and put a lot of effort in to ensure each person had a good time.Stray Travel commented on this reviewCheers for joining us, Heidi-May! Wonderful to hear you had a blast with Motors!
- EltonStray Journeys - Beetham (North Island)4.0 - GoodWritten on January 29, 2018I liked almost everything in the trip. The exception was the day at Blue Duck Station. The place is boring, with bad acommodations and the way to get there is v…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia ora Elton! Thank you for sharing your feedback. So many people rank Blue Duck Station as the highlight of their North Island trip, but we understand it's not to everyone's tastes. It's good to hear you enjoyed everything else!
- NFNatashaStray Journeys - Blake (National)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on January 20, 2018I had the most amazing time with Stray Journeys. The destinations were fantastic and even if the weather disr…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewThank you, Natasha, for sharing your experiences - great to hear that overall it was epic! We will definitely share your feedback about the Queenstown accommodation with the team so we can continue improving. Cheers!
- LRLauraStray Journeys - Hillary (National)4.0 - GoodWritten on January 17, 2018The trip was great. The gide always had a lot of energy and was able to tell a lot about New Zealand. The bus trip was very long in the first 2 days. These are…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia ora Laura! Thank you for your feedback about your Hillary tour. We have recently reviewed how we make travellers aware of the first couple days of the tour so they don't have the same disappointment as you did. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time with your guide Lantern and were able to see all of the country in the time you had!
- LALeeStray Journeys - Dingle (National)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 12, 2018…eel like you've been best friends your whole life. Our driver for the Stray Journeys was Lolly and she was the best! She helped make my birthday v…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewWow - thank you, Lee! So happy that we were able to make your trip to NZ an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'm not surprised to hear that Lolly helped make your birthday a memorable one - she's an amazing driver guide! Thank you for straying with us!
- PIPlamenStray - Willy Pass (South Island)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on December 23, 2017Excellent experience
Stray Travel Tours
About Stray Travel
Stray Travel videos
- New Zealand Adventure Travel With Stray
- Destination Video: Raglan - A Place to Stray
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- STRAY- Adventuring across Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Destination Video - Blue Duck Station: A Place to Stray
- Show more...
- Destination Video- Lake Aniwhenua: A Place To Stray
- Destination Video - Hahei: A Place to Stray
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 60,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is Stray a party bus?
Ultimately, Stray’s main priority is getting you out to see the real New Zealand, and we have some early starts so that we can fit as much adventure in as possible. What you do in your evenings is your own choice... However, of course we are a sociable bunch and we do enjoy a beer or three! Because many of our overnight stops are so "off the beaten track", you will find many of these fine beverages are shared around a campfire rather than in a bar, but we do have a couple of optional big nights out on the circuit, including Queenstown.
Will we be on the bus everyday?
Stray includes free days (non-travel days) in our itinerary, e.g. Abel Tasman National Park, Franz Josef and Queenstown, so even if you’re completing your Stray trip in the “minimum days” required you’ll still have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. We also include free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or even do some necessary laundry!
Will there be Wifi on the bus?
Yes! From January 2016 (perhaps even earlier) Stray will be offering FREE data packs of 150MB to all new starters on the network. For those who need a little more to get by we have competitive priced data packs to top up along the way that will have better coverage than NZ’s mobile networks. Selfie your heart out!
How fit do I need to be?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with us – all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
How many people will I be travelling with?
In winter our average group size is 20, in summer 30. Our buses range from 14 to 45 seaters. We try to use the appropriate bus for the group size, keeping it as small and nifty as possible! This means you can do and see more in a day.
Is it okay to travel alone?
Totally! A lot of our travellers arrive alone, others are with friends or partners. It doesn’t matter because by the end of day 1 you have already made a great group of friends on the bus! (“Meeting liked-minded travellers” frequently is rated in the top 5 reasons to travel with us.)
What is the average age of Stray travellers?
It may sound like a cliché, but we are more about attitude than age. Anyone from 18-70 is welcome – with the majority of our passengers between 21 and 35.
Who travels with Stray?
Stray attracts adventurous travellers from all corners of the globe. When we say “adventurous”, we don’t mean we expect you to do a bungy jump or even a 10 mile hike… but an open mind and a thirst for exploration is important!