“From all of us on the Cook summer tour starting 14th April for 23 days, we have had a #lifechanging experience on the Stray NZ tour of both islands. We thoroughly enjoyed all the different fantastic activities in all the excellent and varied locations on ...“
- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience,...
Stray’s mission is to get you further off the beaten track in New Zealand, immersing you in the places and activities that will, quite simply, blow you away. To name a few... an overnight stay on a real marae (Maori meeting ground), an authentic farmstay experience, a lodge set deep in native bush, a wildlife stop-over on Stewart Island, a night by NZ’s highest mountain... All of these and more are exclusive to Stray, as well as getting you to all the must-see places so you can really experience the best of New Zealand.Read more
336 Stray Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- JJessAStray - Short Q (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on September 18, 2018Most amazing trip discovering the South Island of NZ especially with Stray! Excellent
- KSKateStray - Stew Pass (South Island)4.0 - GoodWritten on August 18, 2018This tour guide was very personal and fun! Although i did not love that some of the activities weren’t included in the price so I was a little blindsided by the…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewHi Kate! Thanks for the great review :) Yes, our hop-on hop-off passes include transport only. It is our Journeys tours that include accommodation and some activities. Glad to hear you had a fun time!
- KKrystiJaimsStray - Ron Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on July 11, 2018I had the best time travelling with Stray! I spent 3 weeks in the South Island on the Ron Pass and I loved every single day and place we went to. I did so many …Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia Ora Krysti! Great to hear that you had so much fun travelling with us - sounds like you ticked a ton of amazing activities off the bucket list! Can't wait to have you on board with us in Asia and Australia one day :)
- AAnonymousStray Journeys - Haast (South Island)4.0 - GoodWritten on May 19, 2018Doubtful Sound was amazingStray Travel commented on this reviewGlad to hear you loved it!
- GGillianStray - Max Pass (National)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on May 6, 2018Had the most amazing time with stray. Went to some amazing and off the beaten track places with a wide variety of activities on offer with a choice of paid or…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia Ora Gillian! Thanks for the amazing review - sounds like you had an awesome time travelling NZ with Shorty :) We're glad we could be part of your New Zealand experience!
- AAnnMacKenzieStray Journeys - Cook (National)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on May 5, 2018From all of us on the Cook summer tour starting 14th April for 23 days, we have had a #lifechanging experience on the Stray NZ tour of both islands. We thoroug…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewWow! Thanks for the review guys! It sounds like you had an epic time travelling NZ with Lego - he really is a great driver guide. Thanks so much for Straying with us - we're glad we could be part of that #lifechanging experience ;)
- AHAfshanStray Journeys - Beetham (North Island)3.5 - GoodWritten on May 3, 2018We picked this tour because of the activities they offered. The pick up time for tour worked with our schedule. We could only take off of work for more than one…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia Ora Afshan - We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your tour with us around the North Island :) Hopefully you'll be able to come back for a longer period of time in future - we'd love to show you the South Island!
- LALilyStray - Short Willy Pass (South Island)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 24, 2018I had an amazing time with Stray. Great stops and driver! The only suggestion I would make is WiFi on the buses as many other bus companies offer this and there…Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia Ora Lily! So glad you had such a great time with Stray :) We actually trialled WiFi on the buses in the past but found that it wasn't necessary as most travellers have pre-paid SIM cards and preferred to use the WiFi at the hostels. At Stray we also love to get off-the-beaten-track which means we love wandering where the WiFi is weak! With good friends, an epic driver guide, plenty of scenic stops and days that are jam packed with activities we aim to help people escape technology and truly embrace the magic that NZ has to offer. Thanks so much for your review, we hope you'll Stray with us again in future!
Stray Travel Tours
About Stray Travel
Stray Travel videos
- New Zealand Adventure Travel With Stray
- Destination Video: Raglan - A Place to Stray
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- STRAY- Adventuring across Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Destination Video - Blue Duck Station: A Place to Stray
- Show more...
- Destination Video- Lake Aniwhenua: A Place To Stray
- Destination Video - Hahei: A Place to Stray
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is Stray a party bus?
Ultimately, Stray’s main priority is getting you out to see the real New Zealand, and we have some early starts so that we can fit as much adventure in as possible. What you do in your evenings is your own choice... However, of course we are a sociable bunch and we do enjoy a beer or three! Because many of our overnight stops are so "off the beaten track", you will find many of these fine beverages are shared around a campfire rather than in a bar, but we do have a couple of optional big nights out on the circuit, including Queenstown.
Will we be on the bus everyday?
Stray includes free days (non-travel days) in our itinerary, e.g. Abel Tasman National Park, Franz Josef and Queenstown, so even if you’re completing your Stray trip in the “minimum days” required you’ll still have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. We also include free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or even do some necessary laundry!
Will there be Wifi on the bus?
Yes! From January 2016 (perhaps even earlier) Stray will be offering FREE data packs of 150MB to all new starters on the network. For those who need a little more to get by we have competitive priced data packs to top up along the way that will have better coverage than NZ’s mobile networks. Selfie your heart out!
How fit do I need to be?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with us – all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
How many people will I be travelling with?
In winter our average group size is 20, in summer 30. Our buses range from 14 to 45 seaters. We try to use the appropriate bus for the group size, keeping it as small and nifty as possible! This means you can do and see more in a day.
Is it okay to travel alone?
Totally! A lot of our travellers arrive alone, others are with friends or partners. It doesn’t matter because by the end of day 1 you have already made a great group of friends on the bus! (“Meeting liked-minded travellers” frequently is rated in the top 5 reasons to travel with us.)
What is the average age of Stray travellers?
It may sound like a cliché, but we are more about attitude than age. Anyone from 18-70 is welcome – with the majority of our passengers between 21 and 35.
Who travels with Stray?
Stray attracts adventurous travellers from all corners of the globe. When we say “adventurous”, we don’t mean we expect you to do a bungy jump or even a 10 mile hike… but an open mind and a thirst for exploration is important!